PDA

View Full Version : Did you REALLY think we'd get a proven coach?

Canadian'eh!
12-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, I ahve less and less doubt that we are all being taken for yet another ride by the Bills PR department.

"Wants a proven coach"
"Pulling out all the stops"
"Willing to spend 10mill +"

BULL!

Once again, Russ and Ralph are spinning more tails to keep the fans from completely quitting.

Shanahan played along so he could drive the price up past 10mill from Snyder or Jerry Jones
Gruden, no thanks.
Holmgren, not interested.
Cowher, I'll wait for somthing better.
Marty S, I'm too old.

But much like the signing of TO to the 1 year deal, this was all once just crap meant to keep asses in seats. Ralph had NO intention of paying "whatever it takes". But he'll gladly fire Jauron and float that rumor to make people THINK he might. "No really, we ARE trying."

Uh-huh. So now we will get the excuses abotu how no one WANTED to come, and they tried as hard as they could... but it just wasn't good enough. Oh gee. well don't worry because coach Haslett/Fassel is really good too. And the inner circle is really much better without Dick.

I mean why else would you tell the media how much you are willing to pay? They wouldn't even tell us IF jauron had an extension last year, and we NEVER found out how long it was or how much $. Now they will publically talk about salaries for guys you just talk to? riiight.

all hype and no substance.

I have a feeling that by next training camp, i'll be about as interested in the Bills developments as I am in Aussie rules football and curling.

I'm sick of this team PRETENDING they want to win games. Just wait until they can slash the payroll to 50 mill.

kernowboy
12-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Proven at winning elsewhere but not in Buffalo.

It amazes me that some fans think that someone like Zimmer, Frazier or Grimm cannot become a real top Head Coach for us.

After all Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher etc were all coordinators once and Cowher has only been the Head Coach on one team

It sickens me that some fans already are thinking its all doom and gloom simply because we've not signed some big name to ridiculous money rather than properly investigate the footballing credentials they'd bring here. Coaching in Denver or Tampa is not the say as coaching in Buffalo

Typ0
12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Signing a previously qualified coach would signify a commitment to winning that getting someone with no experience or a retread will.

Canadian'eh!
12-19-2009, 10:09 AM

It amazes me that some fans think that someone like Zimmer, Frazier or Grimm cannot become a real top Head Coach for us.

After all Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher etc were all coordinators once and Cowher has only been the Head Coach on one team

Therein lies the problem.

The reason we NEED a proven man running this show, is that there is a LOT to learn about changing the entire attiude of a franchise. We don't just need a good head coach (and clearly one of those top Coords will be a good coach). we NEED someoen who can come in and change the entire culture of a losing franchise.

That is something I would not want to drop on a rookie head coach. Much like what we've doen to young QB's, youa re asking too much too soon and setting them up to fail.

You have a meddling old man owner, a marketing man, A terrible pro scout and a college scout who's never around, then a rookie HC. What the hell kind of cluster **** set up is that?

But you take an experience man like Cowher or Shanahan and put him ina room with them or whoever replaces them, and you have a guy who can take control of that situation and start making things better. Someone who isn't trying to PROVE they can coach, because everyone knows that. Someone who understands you have to delegate, and when to step in.

Now, a good Coord with a top flight overhaul of the front office? that might work... but I haven't heard we were looking for a proven GM so far. But if you don't get one, then we're ****ed.

Just look at the sucessful young HC's:

Mike Smith - Dmitiroff
Tony Sparano - Parcells
John Harbaugh - Newsome

Nice to have some stability and experience to rely on.

But we need a culture change, not just a good HC.

kernowboy
Well, I ahve less and less doubt that we are all being taken for yet another ride by the Bills PR department.

"Wants a proven coach"

BULL!

Once again, Russ and Ralph are spinning more tails to keep the fans from completely quitting.

Shanahan played along so he could drive the price up past 10mill from Snyder or Jerry Jones
Gruden, no thanks.
Marty S, I'm too old.

But much like the signing of TO to the 1 year deal, this was all once just crap meant to keep asses in seats. Ralph had NO intention of paying "whatever it takes". But he'll gladly fire Jauron and float that rumor to make people THINK he might. "No really, we ARE trying."

Uh-huh. So now we will get the excuses abotu how no one WANTED to come, and they tried as hard as they could... but it just wasn't good enough. Oh gee. well don't worry because coach Haslett/Fassel is really good too. And the inner circle is really much better without Dick.

I mean why else would you tell the media how much you are willing to pay? They wouldn't even tell us IF jauron had an extension last year, and we NEVER found out how long it was or how much $. Now they will publically talk about salaries for guys you just talk to? riiight.

I have a feeling that by next training camp, i'll be about as interested in the Bills developments as I am in Aussie rules football and curling.

I'm sick of this team PRETENDING they want to win games. Just wait until they can slash the payroll to 50 mill.

Slavery was abolished so we cannot force coaches to come here. If Schottenheimer and Holmgren don't want to coach because explain how we can appoint them Head Coach?

If Gruden wasn't to remain a pundit what can the Bills do?

If Cowher wants to remain closer to the Carolinas, should we kidnap him and force him to become our Head Coach?

If Shanahan wants to go and drive the Redskins deep into cap trouble like he did in Denver should we really be that disappointed?

Maybe you should go and follow Aussie Rules. Us fans would rather support the Bills and be true fans

Canadian'eh!

It sickens me that some fans already are thinking its all doom and gloom simply because we've not signed some big name to ridiculous money rather than properly investigate the footballing credentials they'd bring here. Coaching in Denver or Tampa is not the say as coaching in Buffalo

It's the facade that we actually have intentions to make big changes and try to win that pisses me off.

kernowboy
12-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Its already been reported that we have drawn up a short list of GM candidates to be interviewed.

We do however need permission to approach those guys still under contract however.

Bruce Allen was an easy signing because he'd been sacked.

I'd rather us appoint a guy his existing team want to keep.

T-Long
12-19-2009, 10:36 AM
To be honest, this is a great thread with two good posters giving the best arguments for each side. But I gotta say, kernowboy's post are ones in which I agree the most. If you are a high profiled coach, without any ties to Buffalo, why would you want to go there?

There is instability in ownership, the threat of the team moving, the city is down in the dumps economically. I know for a fact that if I were one of these coaches, I would be more interested in being the head coach of the Redskins or Cowboys than the Bills.

And he's right, it's not like we can force them to be our coach. The most we can do is make an above market offer and hope one of them bites. If they don't, then we move on. Are they just supposed to boo hoo about not getting a big name and not do due dilligence on a coordinator? I hope not.

As I said before, very informative thread and I hope you guys keep it going. Good stuff.

YardRat
12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I've already laid out in other threads how we're probably not going to get a 'name' guy, and where they'll most likely be next season.

I'd rather see them working on a GM first anyway...or at least GM priority 1A and Head Coach priority 1B.

mark1126
12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
to add insult, the bills with no experienced GM's or coaches interested, offer the job to Perry Fewell, who says no thanks..mark this down

T-Long
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
to add insult, the bills with no experienced GM's or coaches interested, offer the job to Perry Fewell, who says no thanks..mark this down
that will never happen...there are plenty of coaches out there who want the Bills job. Big name coaches? Probably not. But someone other than Perry will be coaching this team in 2010....mark this down.

Typ0
12-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Back when Moolarkey flew the coop RW sure looked desparate to have someone fill the job.

TedMock
12-19-2009, 01:13 PM
If we somehow landed a big name, Cowher is the one guy I would say is worth $10 million. Otherwise, DeCosta and Grimm would make me ecstatic. I am a huge fan of both.

Night Train
12-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Why don't we just let it play out, instead of try to be the first to post " I called it ".

MikeInRoch
12-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I wasn't aware that the offseason was already done...

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 09:51 AM

"Wants a proven coach"

BULL!

Gruden, no thanks.
Marty S, I'm too old.

Sigh...

Shanahan officially says no.
so that's a no from every goo/proven head coaching candidate there is.

Get ready for a very un-inspiring offseason.

I'm starting to hate this team. :(

T-Long
12-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Sigh...

Shanahan officially says no.
so that's a no from every goo/proven head coaching candidate there is.

Get ready for a very un-inspiring offseason.

I'm starting to hate this team. :(

Cowher hasn't said no.....yet. He just said he is waiting for the end of the season. I say we do what X said and bring in Colbert/Cowher package and offer them whatever they want to turn this organization around.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Why don't we just let it play out, instead of try to be the first to post " I called it ".
Geez, NT, did you forget where you are?

X-Era
12-27-2009, 10:17 AM

I know.

It feels like some think being right about how screwed we are is something to be proud of.

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 10:18 AM
You know, I USED to be an optimist about this team.. now i'm 100% sure we will screw it up again.

trapezeus
12-27-2009, 11:12 AM
i feel like the ugly girl waiting for someone to ask us to Prom. We're going to end up with a dud. it's not that we're just missing on one big name, but all the big names. and you have the assume if you are a coordinator worth a damn doing well, that if buffalo is your only option, being a coordinator one m ore year for a better gig to open isn't a bad idea.

something that we don't get to see is really killing the ability for the bills to sign a real coach. i don't think it's just money, because the bills aren't the stingieset. the bengals and cardinals are tighter owners and they are both winning these days. So it's got to be something organizationally. it can't just be the history.

i think an astute guy who plays it tight and isn't just a hopeful guy sees something with the GMless team and says, i can't win with this.

most people would look at a 7-2 draw at poker and say, "i can't win with this hand." Occassionally you'll find a few optimists that say, "we don't know what hte flop is. let's try." And that's who's going to take the bills job. an optimist who really believes that it's all about chance and luck. meanwhile the stats guy is happy he didn't lose on a crappy hand.

OpIv37
12-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Have you been in a cave for the last decade? Three times , this team named a head coach who wasn't a big name, and three times they failed. Are there guys out there who aren't big names but will make good NFL head coaches? Of course. It happens every year. But it sickens me to think some people out there still think this lousy FO is competent enough to find one.

I'll admit- I bought in this time. I thought the FO may finally be serious about winning. But no- it was just another Russ and Ralph mind-****. Welcome to more mediocrity.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Have you been in a cave for the last decade? Three times , this team named a head coach who wasn't a big name, and three times they failed. Are there guys out there who aren't big names but will make good NFL head coaches? Of course. It happens every year. But it sickens me to think some people out there still think this lousy FO is competent enough to find one.

I'll admit- I bought in this time. I thought the FO may finally be serious about winning. But no- it was just another Russ and Ralph mind-****. Welcome to more mediocrity.

Technically, Shanahan hasn't signed with anyone, Skins haven't fired anyone.

There's only one guy who's been officially signed and that's Holmgren.

Lots still has to play out before we can say the Bills screwed up. IMO

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Technically, Shanahan hasn't signed with anyone, Skins haven't fired anyone.

There's only one guy who's been officially signed and that's Holmgren.

Lots still has to play out before we can say the Bills screwed up. IMO

lol.... keep believing.... maybe you are unfamiliar with how the Buffalo Bills have been for the past 10 years. this was a marketing ploy, as it always is.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 05:25 PM
lol.... keep believing.... maybe you are unfamiliar with how the Buffalo Bills have been for the past 10 years. this was a marketing ploy, as it always is.

Could be.

The proof soon enough to prove it one way or another.

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Could be.

The proof soon enough to prove it one way or another.

Shanahan to Washington is a done deal. book it. And regardless he officially told the Bills he has no interest from what i understand.

Gruden said no outright. so did Shanny. Holmgren has a job.

Dungy says he doesn't want to coach anymore too.

Cowher said he wants to wait for the offseason, but i'm betting a heck of a lot he goes to Dallas, Tampa or Carolina.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
The next head coach of the Bills will be either Martz or Weis, you can bet on it. Both are offensive minded coaches, and inside the bubble of One Bills Drive this is a "Big Splash".

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
The next head coach of the Bills will be either Martz or Weis, you can bet on it. Both are offensive minded coaches, and inside the bubble of One Bills Drive this is a "Big Splash".

wow. a major failure as a college HC or a major failure as an NFL HC.
tough call.

I'd just bring in Fassel or Trestman if we are gonna get a loser.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
tough call.

How is Trestman a loser?

Canadian'eh!
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
How is Trestman a loser?

I don't count Grey Cups won with loaded teams.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't count Grey Cups won with loaded teams.

You obviously also don't count the success he's had as an NFL offensive coordinator either.

HAMMER
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
tough call.

Winning a Super Bowl is major failure as a Head Coach? On what planet?

kernowboy
12-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Every Head Coach in the NFL was at one point unproven

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
i feel like the ugly girl waiting for someone to ask us to Prom. We're going to end up with a dud. it's not that we're just missing on one big name, but all the big names. and you have the assume if you are a coordinator worth a damn doing well, that if buffalo is your only option, being a coordinator one m ore year for a better gig to open isn't a bad idea.

something that we don't get to see is really killing the ability for the bills to sign a real coach. i don't think it's just money, because the bills aren't the stingieset. the bengals and cardinals are tighter owners and they are both winning these days. So it's got to be something organizationally. it can't just be the history.

i think an astute guy who plays it tight and isn't just a hopeful guy sees something with the GMless team and says, i can't win with this.

most people would look at a 7-2 draw at poker and say, "i can't win with this hand." Occassionally you'll find a few optimists that say, "we don't know what hte flop is. let's try." And that's who's going to take the bills job. an optimist who really believes that it's all about chance and luck. meanwhile the stats guy is happy he didn't lose on a crappy hand.

Being an avid poker player myself I like the analogy but you know as well as I do, sometimes you just have to feel it in your gut and go with it. Especially when your luck is way down. All it takes is a chip and a chair in poker, its not always about what your cards are. Could that apply to the NFL who knows, but I do like your cross reference.

trapezeus
12-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Draftboy, i really think this is how its going to be for the Bills. They are going to have to get someone who is really hungry to prove himself, someone who feels things in his gut.

that translates to 4th and 3 in yesterdays game and his gut screams, "we have to go for this because if we don't we are conceding defeat."

That's the type of coach i want here.that he really knows what he's been dealt, but he knows how to get the most out of it.

The bills really shouldn't play the odds on name coaches, etc. They need the name GM with a history of knowing how to get chance implemented. fast. I mean, i'd be head over heels if the bills are dragging their feet because they want to pick Parcells up as a GM. That would blow my mind.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Draftboy, i really think this is how its going to be for the Bills. They are going to have to get someone who is really hungry to prove himself, someone who feels things in his gut.

that translates to 4th and 3 in yesterdays game and his gut screams, "we have to go for this because if we don't we are conceding defeat."

That's the type of coach i want here.that he really knows what he's been dealt, but he knows how to get the most out of it.

The bills really shouldn't play the odds on name coaches, etc. They need the name GM with a history of knowing how to get chance implemented. fast. I mean, i'd be head over heels if the bills are dragging their feet because they want to pick Parcells up as a GM. That would blow my mind.

I feel as though we need a hungry coach and GM. Somebody who is ready to light the NFL on fire. Will take chances, get burned, but when he's right he's dead on the money.