Did you REALLY think we'd get a proven coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Did you REALLY think we'd get a proven coach?

Well, I ahve less and less doubt that we are all being taken for yet another ride by the Bills PR department.

"Wants a proven coach"
    "Pulling out all the stops"
    "Willing to spend 10mill +"

BULL!

Once again, Russ and Ralph are spinning more tails to keep the fans from completely quitting.

Shanahan played along so he could drive the price up past 10mill from Snyder or Jerry Jones
    Gruden, no thanks.
    Holmgren, not interested.
    Cowher, I'll wait for somthing better.
    Marty S, I'm too old.

But much like the signing of TO to the 1 year deal, this was all once just crap meant to keep asses in seats. Ralph had NO intention of paying "whatever it takes". But he'll gladly fire Jauron and float that rumor to make people THINK he might. "No really, we ARE trying."

Uh-huh. So now we will get the excuses abotu how no one WANTED to come, and they tried as hard as they could... but it just wasn't good enough. Oh gee. well don't worry because coach Haslett/Fassel is really good too. And the inner circle is really much better without Dick.

I mean why else would you tell the media how much you are willing to pay? They wouldn't even tell us IF jauron had an extension last year, and we NEVER found out how long it was or how much $. Now they will publically talk about salaries for guys you just talk to? riiight.

all hype and no substance.

I have a feeling that by next training camp, i'll be about as interested in the Bills developments as I am in Aussie rules football and curling.

I'm sick of this team PRETENDING they want to win games. Just wait until they can slash the payroll to 50 mill.

Re: Did you REALLY think we'd get a proven coach?

Proven at winning elsewhere but not in Buffalo.

It amazes me that some fans think that someone like Zimmer, Frazier or Grimm cannot become a real top Head Coach for us.

After all Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher etc were all coordinators once and Cowher has only been the Head Coach on one team

It sickens me that some fans already are thinking its all doom and gloom simply because we've not signed some big name to ridiculous money rather than properly investigate the footballing credentials they'd bring here. Coaching in Denver or Tampa is not the say as coaching in Buffalo
    Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Signing a previously qualified coach would signify a commitment to winning that getting someone with no experience or a retread will.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kernowboy

It amazes me that some fans think that someone like Zimmer, Frazier or Grimm cannot become a real top Head Coach for us.

After all Gruden, Shanahan, Cowher etc were all coordinators once and Cowher has only been the Head Coach on one team
        Therein lies the problem.

The reason we NEED a proven man running this show, is that there is a LOT to learn about changing the entire attiude of a franchise. We don't just need a good head coach (and clearly one of those top Coords will be a good coach). we NEED someoen who can come in and change the entire culture of a losing franchise.

That is something I would not want to drop on a rookie head coach. Much like what we've doen to young QB's, youa re asking too much too soon and setting them up to fail.

You have a meddling old man owner, a marketing man, A terrible pro scout and a college scout who's never around, then a rookie HC. What the hell kind of cluster **** set up is that?

But you take an experience man like Cowher or Shanahan and put him ina room with them or whoever replaces them, and you have a guy who can take control of that situation and start making things better. Someone who isn't trying to PROVE they can coach, because everyone knows that. Someone who understands you have to delegate, and when to step in.

Now, a good Coord with a top flight overhaul of the front office? that might work... but I haven't heard we were looking for a proven GM so far. But if you don't get one, then we're ****ed.

Just look at the sucessful young HC's:

Mike Smith - Dmitiroff
        Tony Sparano - Parcells
        John Harbaugh - Newsome

Nice to have some stability and experience to rely on.

But we need a culture change, not just a good HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
          Well, I ahve less and less doubt that we are all being taken for yet another ride by the Bills PR department.

"Wants a proven coach"
          "Pulling out all the stops"
          "Willing to spend 10mill +"

BULL!

Once again, Russ and Ralph are spinning more tails to keep the fans from completely quitting.

Shanahan played along so he could drive the price up past 10mill from Snyder or Jerry Jones
          Gruden, no thanks.
          Holmgren, not interested.
          Cowher, I'll wait for somthing better.
          Marty S, I'm too old.

But much like the signing of TO to the 1 year deal, this was all once just crap meant to keep asses in seats. Ralph had NO intention of paying "whatever it takes". But he'll gladly fire Jauron and float that rumor to make people THINK he might. "No really, we ARE trying."

Uh-huh. So now we will get the excuses abotu how no one WANTED to come, and they tried as hard as they could... but it just wasn't good enough. Oh gee. well don't worry because coach Haslett/Fassel is really good too. And the inner circle is really much better without Dick.

I mean why else would you tell the media how much you are willing to pay? They wouldn't even tell us IF jauron had an extension last year, and we NEVER found out how long it was or how much $. Now they will publically talk about salaries for guys you just talk to? riiight.

all hype and no substance.

I have a feeling that by next training camp, i'll be about as interested in the Bills developments as I am in Aussie rules football and curling.

I'm sick of this team PRETENDING they want to win games. Just wait until they can slash the payroll to 50 mill.
          Slavery was abolished so we cannot force coaches to come here. If Schottenheimer and Holmgren don't want to coach because explain how we can appoint them Head Coach?

If Gruden wasn't to remain a pundit what can the Bills do?

If Cowher wants to remain closer to the Carolinas, should we kidnap him and force him to become our Head Coach?

If Shanahan wants to go and drive the Redskins deep into cap trouble like he did in Denver should we really be that disappointed?

Maybe you should go and follow Aussie Rules. Us fans would rather support the Bills and be true fans
          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2009, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by kernowboy

It sickens me that some fans already are thinking its all doom and gloom simply because we've not signed some big name to ridiculous money rather than properly investigate the footballing credentials they'd bring here. Coaching in Denver or Tampa is not the say as coaching in Buffalo
            It's the facade that we actually have intentions to make big changes and try to win that pisses me off.

Comment

Its already been reported that we have drawn up a short list of GM candidates to be interviewed.

We do however need permission to approach those guys still under contract however.

Bruce Allen was an easy signing because he'd been sacked.

I'd rather us appoint a guy his existing team want to keep.

Comment

• T-Long
                Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                • Sep 2003

To be honest, this is a great thread with two good posters giving the best arguments for each side. But I gotta say, kernowboy's post are ones in which I agree the most. If you are a high profiled coach, without any ties to Buffalo, why would you want to go there?

There is instability in ownership, the threat of the team moving, the city is down in the dumps economically. I know for a fact that if I were one of these coaches, I would be more interested in being the head coach of the Redskins or Cowboys than the Bills.

And he's right, it's not like we can force them to be our coach. The most we can do is make an above market offer and hope one of them bites. If they don't, then we move on. Are they just supposed to boo hoo about not getting a big name and not do due dilligence on a coordinator? I hope not.

As I said before, very informative thread and I hope you guys keep it going. Good stuff.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I've already laid out in other threads how we're probably not going to get a 'name' guy, and where they'll most likely be next season.

I'd rather see them working on a GM first anyway...or at least GM priority 1A and Head Coach priority 1B.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• mark1126
                    • Dec 2009

to add insult, the bills with no experienced GM's or coaches interested, offer the job to Perry Fewell, who says no thanks..mark this down

Comment

• T-Long
                      Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mark1126
                      to add insult, the bills with no experienced GM's or coaches interested, offer the job to Perry Fewell, who says no thanks..mark this down
                      that will never happen...there are plenty of coaches out there who want the Bills job. Big name coaches? Probably not. But someone other than Perry will be coaching this team in 2010....mark this down.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Back when Moolarkey flew the coop RW sure looked desparate to have someone fill the job.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

If we somehow landed a big name, Cowher is the one guy I would say is worth $10 million. Otherwise, DeCosta and Grimm would make me ecstatic. I am a huge fan of both.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Why don't we just let it play out, instead of try to be the first to post " I called it ".
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

I wasn't aware that the offseason was already done...
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X