• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Sullivan: Why keep Brohm in closet?

Link

As of Sunday, it'll be one month since the Bills signed Brohm. He has been working exclusively with the scout team. Clearly, he's not ready to be trusted with the profound intellectual challenge of running the Bills' offense. It wouldn't be fair to throw him into the fire with so little preparation.
    This is, of course, the organization that fired its offensive coordinator 10 days before the opener and gave the job to a virtual novice, Van Pelt. That was around the time they cut a veteran left tackle and gave the job to a kid who hadn't played a down in the league.
    It was those same Bills who hired a general manager, Russ Brandon, with a marketing background and no significant experience in player personnel. Oh, and the guy making the decisions on the field right now, Fewell, had no head coaching experience one month ago.
    Gee, it seems the Bills lead the league in allowing people to figure things out on the fly. But suddenly, a month isn't enough time for Brohm to at least suit up as the No. 2 quarterback.
    Fewell paused for eight seconds before answering. Then he said Brohm hasn't had enough chance to develop in the offense. He said it might be a "recipe for failure" to throw him in now.
    "But you never say never," Fewell said. "You approach each day as it comes, each situation as it comes, and you never rule out a possibility."
    My translation: At some point, someone in management, or owner Ralph Wilson, might order him to do it. But these are the Bills, who never make a move until it's absolutely the right time.
    Much more in the link
    Last edited by yordad; 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Sullivan: Why keep Brohm in closet?

I maintain he sees the field against Atlanta, if not New England.

Unless we manage to pull off an upset this Sunday, then he might not see the field at all.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

If he plays that would be great. It would signify he's shown enough that he's not going to go out there and get smeared. But I think he's been acquired to be part of the talent pool competing for the job going into next season and, as the article states, the organization isn't exactly in the best situation in any facet to breed a new guy right now. Throwing him in there would be a desperation move to find something positive amidst a bunch of crap. It's too much weight on a kid that's struggling to get it together already.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

The article said he is only dressing as the emergency QB Sunday so we won't see him against NE

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Perry Fool needs to go...PLEASE!

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
            Perry Fool needs to go...PLEASE!

3 more games

Comment

• hydro
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
              3 more games
              3 games that we could see players that are our future. But Fewell is playing for his job not the future of the team...
              BERNIAC!

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

If he actually believes he has a shot at this job then Perry Fool is a good name for him.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                  • Nov 2005

Helpful hint to keep in mind for the future: Brohm isn't any good, either, so it's much ado about nothing.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy
                    Helpful hint to keep in mind for the future: Brohm isn't any good, either, so it's much ado about nothing.
                    And you know this how?

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                      And you know this how?
                      Well...

Because he couldn't beat out a seventh rounder to become a backup

Because Green Bay stuck him on the practice squad instead of protecting him on their full roster

Because he isn't good enough to play this year, for whatever reason

Because we're Buffalo and this sort of thing never works out for us

...and so on and so forth.

Comment

• Ron Burgundy
                        • Nov 2005

I guess my question would be, why does anyone think Brohm is any good?

Is it the college success? The fact that he was picked in the second round?

I mean, if you go to a Green Bay message board or read comments on their online newspapers, 80% of the people who follow the team say some variation of "slow-decision making" or "was handed the number two QB position and couldn't beat out Matt Flynn" or "bust."

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Novacane
                          If he actually believes he has a shot at this job then Perry Fool is a good name for him.
                          WTF do you expect Fewell to do? If he pulls a miracle and finishes 5-2 with this godawful roster, it's gonna be hard to deny him the job.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ron Burgundy
                            I guess my question would be, why does anyone think Brohm is any good?

Is it the college success? The fact that he was picked in the second round?

I mean, if you go to a Green Bay message board or read comments on their online newspapers, 80% of the people who follow the team say some variation of "slow-decision making" or "was handed the number two QB position and couldn't beat out Matt Flynn" or "bust."
                            Green Bay has thrown Matt Hasselbeck and Mark Brunell to the scrapheap in the past, so you never know. Brohm was certainly thought to have the tools to succeed in the NFL when he was at Louisville. Will he ever amount to anything as a Bill? Probably not. But it's worth finding out.

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TrEd FTW
                              WTF do you expect Fewell to do? If he pulls a miracle and finishes 5-2 with this godawful roster, it's gonna be hard to deny him the job.
                              You rehire Fewell to be the HC of the Bills and watch all the season ticket holders decide NOT to renew their tickets. Ralph knows this, Perry knows this. Perry isn't auditioning for the Bills job, he is marketing himself to the rest of the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X