PDA

View Full Version : Sabres relieve McCutcheon of Power Play duties

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
NHL Network

Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff has relieved Associate Coach Brian McCutcheon of his power play duties earlier this morning and says that Assistant Coach James Patrick will take over as coach of the power play. Ruff announced this after a meeting with Managing Partner/Minority Owner Larry Quinn and General Manager Darcy Regier this morning.

The Sabres went 0-8 last night and fell to 28th in the rankings in the NHL in the Power Play rankings. Meanwhile the Sabres Penalty Kill jumped from 8th place to 4th overall.

James Patrick should know something about Power Plays since he was a player with four different teams the NY Rangers, Hartford Whalers, Calgary Flames and the Buffalo Sabres until his retirement with the Sabres back in 2005.
Patrick ranks high among defenceman in both all times game played (1280) and total points (639).

how much do you want to bet that this was Larry Quinn's decision.

Ebenezer
12-20-2009, 04:07 PM
What is telling me in the back of my mind that they need to find somebody who has experience with this? James Patrick was not exactly an offensive juggernaut out there. Also, they need some size and a new QB - Connolly is not exactly stellar out there.

DrGraves
12-20-2009, 04:29 PM
goood!

clumping platelets
12-20-2009, 04:30 PM
We need a booming shot from the blueline!

Dr. Pepper
12-20-2009, 04:47 PM
its about ****ing time, wow, the fans knew this clown had to go for years.

SabreEleven
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
I think the Sabres have the talent to have a good PP. They need a somebody who can come up with a system to make it work.

SabreEleven
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
how much do you want to bet that this was Larry Quinn's decision.

Nope, Larry doesn't know **** about hockey. This was a good hockey decision so no, Larry did not make this decision.

Ebenezer
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Nope, Larry doesn't know **** about hockey. This was a good hockey decision so no, Larry did not make this decision.
I agree on this. Quinn is too busy (with whatever he does) to worry about the day to day of the on-ice team.

SabreEleven
12-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I agree on this. Quinn is too busy (with whatever he does) to worry about the day to day of the on-ice team.

Real Estate Investments.

rbochan
12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Link please.

DMBcrew36
12-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Basically...

the Sabres miss Scott Arniel. Our powerplay was solid until he left.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
12-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Link please.

it was on NHL Network this afternoon I was flipping back and fourth between the game and NHL Network and they had a scroll at the bottom of the screen. McCutcheon is still behind the bench he's just not coach of the power play anymore Patrick is.

Ebenezer
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Basically...

the Sabres miss Scott Arniel. Our powerplay was solid until he left.
was Arniel in charge of the power play while an assistant coach here?

DMBcrew36
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
was Arniel in charge of the power play while an assistant coach here?

Yeah, he ran the powerplay for a couple seasons pre-lockout, and the season after lockout. He got in clicking in that '05-'06 season. That year we the only team to be top 5 in both powerplay and penalty kill - the Sabres had the 3rd ranked PP and the 2nd ranked PK. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statistics?stat=teamstatst&sort=ppp&league=nhl&seasontype=2&season=2006&order=true)

Nighthawk
12-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow, I said to do this about 4 years ago...hey, so they're a little slow.