We have to go Tackle in the 1st round...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beastie Bills
    Senior Zoner
    • Mar 2009

We have to go Tackle in the 1st round...

Everybody may not agree on the order, but I think most of us will agree that our four biggest needs are:

OT
    QB
    DT/DE
    LB

I've said that I want a Tackle in the 1st round, but after yesterdays game, I'm to the point where I'll be pretty pissed if we draft anything else. We need a QB, but it would be silly to stick a QB behind this line, and expect any different results than we've seen in recent years. We'll ruin that QB just like we ruined JP and Trent. If we are going to "blow it up" in the off-season, and get a new GM and coaching staff, we'll be rebuilding the team as well. That starts with the OLine (unless a Peyton-like QB is available, which isn't the case).

Regarding the defense, I don't think that is as pressing of a need. Even with all the injuries, our defense is still playing well. We just held Tom Brady to his worst game in years (11/23, 115 yards). Our run-defense was good yesterday too (about 3.2 yards per carry, I believe). Obviously, we still need some DLine help, to shore-up the run-D, and pressure the QB. I'd also like to get another LB (or two) to help Poz. But, in my opinion, Tackle is our biggest need. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if they are going to be on their back all day. The Pats were without their two best D-Linemen yesterday, and they still racked up like 6 sacks.

You can start bashing me now....
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: We have to go Tackle in the 1st round...

The line did looked FUBAR yesterday, but if they can add one FA LT, and get healthy, it isn't really that bad.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mike in Syracuse
      • Jul 2002

There are so many holes on this team it's difficult to decide what our biggest need is.

I'll vote for GM. Can we draft a GM?

Comment

• Beastie Bills
        Senior Zoner
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by yordad
        The line did looked FUBAR yesterday, but if they can add one FA LT, and get healthy, it isn't really that bad.
        We need two tackles. And I've said this before, but if a linemen is a free agent, he sucks, 9 out of 10 times. Good linemen are rare, so teams don't just let good linemen walk (except for the Bills, of course).

I feel like, as fans, we've been terrified of drafting a Tackle early, because of Mike Williams. But they don't all have to be busts. Look at Oher (who I wanted at 11 last year, reach or no reach).

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Beastie Bills
          Everybody may not agree on the order, but I think most of us will agree that our four biggest needs are:

OT
          QB
          DT/DE
          LB

I've said that I want a Tackle in the 1st round, but after yesterdays game, I'm to the point where I'll be pretty pissed if we draft anything else. We need a QB, but it would be silly to stick a QB behind this line, and expect any different results than we've seen in recent years. We'll ruin that QB just like we ruined JP and Trent. If we are going to "blow it up" in the off-season, and get a new GM and coaching staff, we'll be rebuilding the team as well. That starts with the OLine (unless a Peyton-like QB is available, which isn't the case).

Regarding the defense, I don't think that is as pressing of a need. Even with all the injuries, our defense is still playing well. We just held Tom Brady to his worst game in years (11/23, 115 yards). Our run-defense was good yesterday too (about 3.2 yards per carry, I believe). Obviously, we still need some DLine help, to shore-up the run-D, and pressure the QB. I'd also like to get another LB (or two) to help Poz. But, in my opinion, Tackle is our biggest need. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if they are going to be on their back all day. The Pats were without their two best D-Linemen yesterday, and they still racked up like 6 sacks.

You can start bashing me now....
          There are really no musts. We have so many needs anyways. Some things will have to be taken care of in FA before heading into the draft.

Honestly, Im to the point now where I just want the BPA no matter who it is.

If we have to take Eric Berry then do it. Draft picks must work out if this team is going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

• tampabay25690
            • Feb 2004

I think the Line will be that much better next year.
            Injuries killed them and they will only get better.....
            I still think after the 1st game vs New England this team just lost all morale going into the season....
            We need to get that DEFENSE back to form...DT, LB, we need depth....You will not win in this league when u pick a guy up in free agency and he starts that week......
            GO Gators!!!!!!
            GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Beastie Bills
              Senior Zoner
              • Mar 2009

I saw one mock that had us taking Trent Williams - OT - from Oklahoma. Here was their write-up on him...

Don't expect this Williams to be like the one the Bills took in 2002. Trent Williams derives great pleasure in DOG plays. DOG stands for "Defender on Ground". His experience at Right and Left Tackle, and skill in both pass- and run-blocking, bodes well for the Bills' line.

I honestly don't know anything about him, because I've never seen him play. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Is he good?

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

I saw one mock that had us taking Trent Williams - OT - from Oklahoma. Here was their write-up on him...

Don't expect this Williams to be like the one the Bills took in 2002. Trent Williams derives great pleasure in DOG plays. DOG stands for "Defender on Ground". His experience at Right and Left Tackle, and skill in both pass- and run-blocking, bodes well for the Bills' line.

I honestly don't know anything about him, because I've never seen him play. Does anybody know anything about this guy? Is he good?
                He was considered arguably the best OT going into the season but has fallen off. He hasn't played as well this year but he is still one of the best OTs coming out and a definite top 20 pick.

It's possible losing Bradford hurt his play.

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

We need two tackles. And I've said this before, but if a linemen is a free agent, he sucks, 9 out of 10 times. Good linemen are rare, so teams don't just let good linemen walk (except for the Bills, of course).
                  Good thing we only need one, IMO.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                    • Mar 2004

It depends where the Bills pick, and who's on the board when they pick. I could see this place having a conniption if a guy like Bryant is available and the Bills reach for a mid-to-late round grade OT.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

I disagree with needing 2 tackles, btw. Between all of the guys that played OT this season for the Bills, ONE of them has to be able to step up and take the RT spot next season.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

Two tackles and pray Wood heals properly

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                          Senior Zoner
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by yordad
                          Good thing we only need one, IMO.
                          Who do we have at RT? Butler? I thought he was very good a Guard, but unimpressive at Tackle. Maybe move him back to Guard, and play Levitre at Tackle.

But who were you thinking was good enough to count on as a starter at Tackle in 2010?

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Who do we have at RT? Butler? I thought he was very good a Guard, but unimpressive at Tackle. Maybe move him back to Guard, and play Levitre at Tackle.

But who were you thinking was good enough to count on as a starter at Tackle in 2010?
                            Other way around. Butler was very good at RT. He was an average guard and a weak run blocker inside. Way too tall to be a G.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Bell is another one who's more than capable.

Comment

Working...
                              X