Where are all the "meaningless wins" so many talk about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Where are all the "meaningless wins" so many talk about?

OK, you all know my position by now.

I think it's never acceptable to lose. You have to hold your teams/people to a higher standard. Just like organizations like the Steelers, Eagles, Pats, and Colts do. (see: PIT yesterday).

I loathe having this discussion year after year about "losing to get a higher pick."

Losing is for losers.
    Winning is for winners.

"Losing will make us winners" is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Winning and continually winning is what separates the WINNING organizations from the LOSING ones. It's about culture. Change the culture to one in which winning is acceptable and losing is not. Don't "hope to win" by losing.

So, that being said, the argument for those who want a better pick is that the Bills always have these "meaningless wins" that cost them these great players in the draft.

Really? Let's take a closer look at that.

The fact is the Bills HAVEN'T won all these meaningless games the "let's hope to lose to win" crowd talks about.

Before I present the data, I have to assume everyone actually thinks it's ok to keep winning when you are in playoff contention, right? Because if not, then no games ARE ever meaningful. Here you go:

2008: were at 6-6 headed to December fighting for playoffs. Finished 1-3.
    2007: were at 7-6 fighting for playoffs, then finished 0-3.
    2006: were at 6-6 fighting for playoffs, then finished 0-2.
    2005: were at 4-5 in mid-November. Finished season 1-6.

That's 2-14 in "meaningless" games the past 4 years. That's a full season of 2-14 football, which could be good for the #1 overall pick in most years.

Where are all these "meaningless" wins everyone is talking about?!

Just because some people want to believe they are there and tell others they are there doesn't make it true.

Wow, they beat Cincy and the Broncos when it didn't matter. They also lost the other 14 damn games when they mattered. 2-14 cost them a bunch of pro bowlers? You gotta be kidding me!

Now here's my challenge for the "let's hope to lose" crowd since I already debunked your made-up theory.

Tell me any way or any how this organization is better ON THE FIELD by picking in the top-12 (including a top-10) EVERY YEAR over the same span I just looked at the record (past 4 years)?!
    Last edited by Coach Sal; 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • WeAreArthurMoates
    • Feb 2009

Re: Where are all the "meaningless wins" so many talk about?

I'm never for the agruement of losing to get a better draft pick. The only reason I was rooting for losses was so this coaching staff would get an overhaul. Right now it's looking like this, as bad as our offense is, playing a tampa 2 speed defense in this type of climate is moronic. Can't wait for the new staff.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

I hate losing I enjoy winning.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

It is never better regardless where they pick because of the same FO doing the picking for the last 10 years. The only difference, really, has been the axing of TD.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Historian
          2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
          • Dec 2002

I'm with Sal on this one.

Winning breeds winning.

Losing.........puh!

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i think this year is an exception, if Ralph is true to his word. Lose out and get new people who no longer are making cases for mediocre players. i want the bills to show themselves player by player as to who truly has no talent and who has a little fight in them. I don't really care about the W's and L's this year. i want to see if the people like Fred Jackson show the next guy that he has some servicable people. and the likes of denney, kelsay, mitchell, etc show themselves as losers and will be off this team.

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

LMFAO.. You didn't debunk **** Sal...

1st of all I never asked for losses in the years before this one, but after so many years of seeing the playoff light at the end of the tunnel only to see this team just piss it away when it did matter is the reason why I have no desire at all to see the Bills win one more game this year.

Look at all the winning those early wins have bred us down the stretch.... Heck we won more games last season and look at what all that winning did for us this year.... We're considerably worse this season then last season

and I want a higher draft pick for the selfish reason that the only thing enjoyable about Bills football is the offseason, and that becomes more enjoyable for me with a higher pick that we can get a top player or trade back for picks. I really feel this is in the best interest of the Bills moving forward and the best interest in a new GM / HC that will be coming to Buffalo. They are going to want ot make some changes and a higher draft pick supplies some ammunition to do that.

I'm pissing my pants because I am laughing so hard at the notion that somehow any win we had this season is going to breed more wins next year. We all know we have a talent deficiency, and the only way to improve a talent deficinecy is to bring in talent, and the most likely way we are going to build a real team is via the draft, and the odds of getting that coveted player in the draft improves if you have your choice, and the best way to have that choice is to pick earlier then other teams.

but I do sincerely hope everyone who wants these wins is enjoying them, like KC last week. That is sure going to go a long ways towards making us a Superbowl contender in 2010... LMAO

All I know is that a new HC and a GM can change the attitude in Buffalo for next year, but no matter how I look at it I see not one single argument here or anywhere's that says THIS TEAM would be better off winning now and that will translate into a playoff tam in 2010.. Winning this year has nothing to do with it, a real GM/talent evaluator, new coaches, and a few player additions however can make that difference...

There are numeorus players in previous drafts that I wish the Bills had a chance at but because they didn't have a high enough draf tposition they had no chance at those players... OR I would liek to see the Bills trade back and pick up extra day 1 picks but because they weren't drafting high enough the return on vlaue fo r thier pick dictated that it wasn't worth trading back...

Comment

• mikemac2001
                is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                • Mar 2003

patrick willis would look very nice in a bills uni

im all for winning but i also no the odd's

we have better odd's to get the player we want if we didn't win pointless games.... yes winning is great but this year i don't see why it matters there cleaning house.

MUCK
                FIAMI

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

I'm with ddaryl.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• djjimkelly
                    • Apr 2003

i can see arguments for both sides

since this coaching staff and these qbs wont be back in any real form next year

i think winning and continuity are meaningless

now if we had a 1st year HC and some serious things set in stone on this roster i would agree winning is where it is at.

HOWEVER i truly dont think much of this roster will be around for the long term so how these guys egos get stroked is meaningless to me.

right now with new GM new HC coming in better draft pick is better because i have to hope the next decisions makers at 1 bills drive will do a better job

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

One win can seriously have a 6+ pick swing. That can be a huge difference. Especially at the top of the draft.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Coach Sal
                        • Aug 2006

ddaryl, it's not about winning now for next year.

See the forrest through the trees.

It's about winning now and every game and changing a culture to one in which winning is the only acceptable outcome. For now. For next year. For every year.

It has to start at some point.

I'll use a recent college example. Temple hadn't had even a winning season in 19 years! Al Golden was hired, they go 9-3 and get into a bowl game. His quote:
                        "We had to change the culture. There was a losing mindset."

Yes, it can be done. But not by continually thinking losing is ok.
                        Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                        And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

losing out for a better draft pick is like saving the last piece of chocolate mousse for dinner then your brother comes in and eats it an hour later. Enjoy the present because no one knows what the future brings.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Coach Sal

It's about winning now and every game and changing a culture to one in which winning is the only acceptable outcome. For now. For next year. For every year.

I'll use a recent college example. Temple hadn't had even a winning season in 19 years! Al Golden was hired, they go 9-3 and get into a bowl game. His quote:

I agree with what you are saying however this team is going to be going through major changes in player personnel and front office.

We have a talent deficiency and we need valuable assets. A high pick in the top 10 is a valuable asset that can be converted into more picks or an elite player. We always seem to be picking once all the cream of the crop are gone and missing out on the best players.

I really dont think beating KC was a move for the future especially considering our coach, QB, LT, GM and scouting department are unknowns going into next year.

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Coach Sal

But, did that change come from winning two games the prior your in stead of one, or did it come from getting a new coach?

Comment

Working...
                              X