PDA

View Full Version : Bills GM Scouting Series: Greg Gabriel

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 12:26 PM
A solid series by Brian Galliford where he takes an in-depth look at some of the Buffalo Bills GM candidates. He starts the series off today with Greg Gabriel.

Greg Gabriel
The first thing you should know about Greg Gabriel – who, at this time, is the Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears – is that he’s a Buffalo native. Many of you probably already knew that. He grew up in the area, attended Bishop Neumann High in Williamsville, was a football star at Canisius College, and knows precisely what the Buffalo Bills mean to this area. If there is one single GM candidate on the market that has a rooting interest in this franchise engrained into the very fiber of his being, it’s Gabriel.

His bio from the Bears’ official team website is linked above. We’ll talk about some things piece by piece as we break down that bio.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/bills-gm-scouting-series-greg-gabriel/)

DraftBoy
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Why does him being a Buffalo native have anything to do with him? Who cares? Im so sick of the this connection to Buffalo ****. Nobody should give a damn about that, but rather about his ability to scout, draft, sign and trade.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Why does him being a Buffalo native have anything to do with him? Who cares? Im so sick of the this connection to Buffalo ****. Nobody should give a damn about that, but rather about his ability to scout, draft, sign and trade.

AGREED! But that is what you get when somebody has a little extra time to write and puts out a blog about it. You're not going to get a really knowledgable write up, just some entertaining reading.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
AGREED! But that is what you get when somebody has a little extra time to write and puts out a blog about it. You're not going to get a really knowledgable write up, just some entertaining reading.

are you kidding me right now? There are maybe a few Bills writers out there who are more knowledgeable than Brian.

And whomever can only muster up a comment about the guy being from Buffalo as the basis of making a case for him, I highly recommend that person(s) goes ahead and actually READS the article instead of making assumptions when they CLEARLY didn't read it.

His first seven drafts with Chicago yielded 16 players who started at least one game for the Bears in 2008 and Pro Bowl selections for Lance Briggs (2005-08), Tommie Harris (2005-07), Devin Hester (2006-07) and Nathan Vasher (2005). Chicago finished the 2008 season with 34 players on its roster drafted or signed as undrafted free agents during Gabriel’s tenure with the team, including 13 of 22 opening-day starters.
This is why I generally dislike team bios. Those were not Greg Gabriel’s drafts, folks. They were Jerry Angelo’s drafts. Yes, Chicago has had some great draft picks this past decade (Gabriel has worked in Chicago since 2001), but they were Angelo’s picks, not Gabriel’s. That idea encompasses the good and the bad picks, as well. I think Jerry Angelo has as solid a scouting department as anyone, and in general has been a good decision-maker. Gabriel has worked pretty closely with him for a number of years, and knows his way around a war room. But it’s important – not just in evaluating Gabriel, but in evaluating any candidate – to understand that Gabriel is not responsible for the team’s success, nor their draft picks. He’s just one cog in the process, for better or worse. It is noteworthy, however, that Gabriel’s profile in Chicago is strong.

Gabriel’s chief job responsibilities are scheduling scouting visits, coordinating scouting meetings, evaluating collegiate players while playing an instrumental role in the development of the Bears draft plan.
That all sounds good to me. It’s not imperative that a GM candidate come in with experience in all facets of the game (college and pro scouting, salary cap management, etc.), and Gabriel has had a good job for a number of seasons. I will always and forever prefer candidates that have strong backgrounds in college scouting as compared to pro personnel evaluation, because as the old adage goes, the best way to build a team is through the draft. Gabriel has been in the league long enough to have enough ties to bring in strong people to fill in the gaps.

Again, you dont have to like an article, a writer or a website, "blog" or whatever. . But please, don't make assumptions on something you didn't read

homeslice5484
12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
We need a GM NOW, then get the coach.

baalworship
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I have not been particularly impressed with the Bears drafting as of late. Have they even been better than the Bills since Levy left?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
A solid series by Brian Galliford where he takes an in-depth look at some of the Buffalo Bills GM candidates. He starts the series off today with Greg Gabriel.

FULL STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/bills-gm-scouting-series-greg-gabriel/)

Will Brian be covering Colbert who may be in the mix for a run at Cowher? A.l.a. Shanahan and Allen?

Just curious

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Will Brian be covering Colbert who may be in the mix for a run at Cowher? A.l.a. Shanahan and Allen?

Just curious

I'll ask him

DraftBoy
12-21-2009, 02:41 PM
are you kidding me right now? There are maybe a few Bills writers out there who are more knowledgeable than Brian.

And whomever can only muster up a comment about the guy being from Buffalo as the basis of making a case for him, I highly recommend that person(s) goes ahead and actually READS the article instead of making assumptions when they CLEARLY didn't read it.

Again, you dont have to like an article, a writer or a website, "blog" or whatever. . But please, don't make assumptions on something you didn't read
:rofl:

So don't make assumptions, like the one you just jumped to in the post quoted? I read the whole article, it doesn't say anything. It says the following; look at NFL.com's draft history, then say its actually Angelo's drafts.

What does this article actually tell us about Gabriel though? He's from Buffalo, he worked for Buffalo, and he has worked with Angelo? How is this any kind of a break down or an indepth look? The writer who is usually extremely good, read the guys bio, added three sentences, then followed that by saying this why he hates bios after he used it to make a point above?

Talk about the draft classes, the FA signings, the teams progress in player development since he was Director of Player Development with the Giants. What players shined during that tenure, what young players busted? That's indepth not what was written. Im severely disappointed in the quality of the article and what your pushing it as, and if you want me to Ill say the same thing to Brian in an email or comment on BSD. He knows he can write more indepth peices.

Demon
12-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't usually read any of the Bills fan blogs out there (sorry guys who do write) i'm more into reading blogs on actual news sites, Scott Pitoniak and bb.com propaganda machine blog (hey i need some positivity too once in a while) but i actually did click on the link to read the story because i do want to learn more about these possible GMs and well, i came out very unimpressed. As draftboy said, he didn't really say much about it. Just go to chicagobears.com and post the link to his bio and save some time. We've all read the official bios on these guys, but i feel like time wasted by clicking that link.

Night Train
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
He was great in his early days with Genesis.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Sorry, but the article was about how he would like a Buffalo guy to come home and run his organization. Nothing news worthy and certainly nothing that enlightens any average Bills fan.

Demon
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Just curious

Kevin Colbert?

Why would he leave Pittsburgh?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Kevin Colbert?

Why would he leave Pittsburgh?

He wouldn't necessarily... this thought was from the Bills side, who may want to sweeten the deal for any big namer to land them.

Money talks. Maybe they offer Colbert more money than hes getting in Pitt, that may not be that hard.

But, Pitt may have to grant permission first.

TrEd FTW
12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't want anything to do with anyone who works for the Bears. They suck, and they can't draft worth a damn.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't want anything to do with anyone who works for the Bears. They suck, and they can't draft worth a damn.

Devin Hester and Brian Urlacher are bad draft picks?

You could argue with them needing more from their drafts, but those two guys are pretty damn good.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM

You could argue with them needing more from their drafts, but those two guys are pretty damn good.

Ehhh, the Bears are not the model who I'm hoping the Bills copy. I'm less then impressed with Gabriel. Maybe I should write up a blog about how he would be a good GM, just because I went to school with his daughter!

TrEd FTW
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM

You cited two picks out of many more.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
You cited two picks out of many more.

And thats basically what I said. But those two guys are pretty damn good picks.

Add in Tommie Harris, and Lance Briggs.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Ehhh, the Bears are not the model who I'm hoping the Bills copy. I'm less then impressed with Gabriel. Maybe I should write up a blog about how he would be a good GM, just because I went to school with his daughter!

You could do that.

But I would steer clear of the board, you will have some harsh critics.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:46 PM
You could do that.

But I would steer clear of the board, you will have some harsh critics.

I know...that's my point...it seems everybody is a blogger these days. It's kind of ridiculous.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I know...that's my point...it seems everybody is a blogger these days. It's kind of ridiculous.

I don't mind it.

Its just people with an opinion, stating it.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't mind it.

Its just people with an opinion, stating it.

No problems with an opinion, it's acting like you have real news that bothers me.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
No problems with an opinion, it's acting like you have real news that bothers me.

Maybe the difference between a blog and a news report? :idunno:

Demon
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't mind bloggers. It's supposed to be an opinion on news stories. I prefer to stay on message boards but what ever floats peoples floats.

When bloggers act like reporters and try to "report" news, that's why it gets annoying.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't mind bloggers. It's supposed to be an opinion on news stories. I prefer to stay on message boards but what ever floats peoples floats.

When bloggers act like reporters and try to "report" news, that's why it gets annoying.

Exactly...

DraftBoy
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
And thats basically what I said. But those two guys are pretty damn good picks.

Add in Tommie Harris, and Lance Briggs.

Yes but as the author says in his article, Gabriel doesnt get credit for that.