PDA

View Full Version : Thurman Thomas still expects a "Big Splash"

Yasgur's Farm
12-21-2009, 12:35 PM
How can this be? We're told by some of the "experts" on these boards that Ralph's lied to us in order to increase ticket sales.

http://www.wgr550.com/Thurman-Thomas-Expecting-a-Big-Splash-From-Bills/5943029

"I'm into it. I'm not like Jim (Kelly) and want to be an owner but, I want to be a part of the turn-around. They know that. I've had some conversations with Russ Brandon. They're well aware of my situation and what I want to do over there. I want to be a part of this big splash that they're going to make.

"I think it's pretty likely that I'll be a part of it, yeah. I think I'm at a point right now where I can throw my two cents in and they'll listen to me. I think it's going to fine. I think it's all going to work out."

"I think we're on the right path with Mr. (Ralph) Wilson and the Bills. I think (fans) should be really optimistic that they're going to get something really, really nice under the tree. I honestly think that (the Bills) are going to make a big splash."

"He's in a position now where he wants to go out a winner. He wants to see fun football at his stadium again and I think he's going to do whatever it takes to get that done this offseason."

justasportsfan
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Are we bringing back Polian?

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I hope he is right....I really do.

The Juice Is Loose
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Why do I have a feeling that Thurman and Jim meddling in our business is hurting us not helping us?

If either of them was actually willing to do a damn thing, they'd have been position coaches on this team 10 years ago.

They just want to sound off occasionally. They don't want to actually do anything, because that could risk them looking like a dumbass.

Thats why I gotta respect Marv...Even though Marv completely bungled this team as GM, at least he was willing to put his reputation on the line and at 80 years old was willing to put in the work to try to turn this team around.

Sorry but Jim writing an article once a week and Thurman and Talley sounding off a couple times a year doesn't do anything. Shutup unless your going to DO SOMETHING.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Why do I have a feeling that Thurman and Jim meddling in our business is hurting us not helping us?

If either of them was actually willing to do a damn thing, they'd have been position coaches on this team 10 years ago.

They just want to sound off occasionally. They don't want to actually do anything, because that could risk them looking like a dumbass.

Thats why I gotta respect Marv...Even though Marv completely bungled this team as GM, at least he was willing to put his reputation on the line and at 80 years old was willing to put in the work to try to turn this team around.

Sorry but Jim writing an article once a week and Thurman and Talley sounding off a couple times a year doesn't do anything. Shutup unless your going to DO SOMETHING.

I don't know him and cannot speak for Jim Kelly, but it couldn't be more obvious how little you know Darryl Talley and Thurman Thomas.

trapezeus
12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
i get juice's point though. how are they any better than a Matt Millen? They aren't even broadcasters who attend a ton of games.

I don't doubt their desire to see us get back to the promised land, but just banking on the 90's teams solely, doesn't make sense.

There are proven GM's out there who know how to put a team together quickly. IF we are wasting money on talley and thomas as consultants, we aren't in any better of a situation than we were through this ugly season.

I want Talley and Thomas' fandom. i think that's awesome that they are at the games and they take it personally, but they don't really have much of a track record to show that its meaningful change.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 01:16 PM
How can this be? We're told by some of the "experts" on these boards that Ralph's lied to us in order to increase ticket sales.

http://www.wgr550.com/Thurman-Thomas-Expecting-a-Big-Splash-From-Bills/5943029

"I'm into it. I'm not like Jim (Kelly) and want to be an owner but, I want to be a part of the turn-around. They know that. I've had some conversations with Russ Brandon. They're well aware of my situation and what I want to do over there. I want to be a part of this big splash that they're going to make.

"I think it's pretty likely that I'll be a part of it, yeah. I think I'm at a point right now where I can throw my two cents in and they'll listen to me. I think it's going to fine. I think it's all going to work out."

"I think we're on the right path with Mr. (Ralph) Wilson and the Bills. I think (fans) should be really optimistic that they're going to get something really, really nice under the tree. I honestly think that (the Bills) are going to make a big splash."

"He's in a position now where he wants to go out a winner. He wants to see fun football at his stadium again and I think he's going to do whatever it takes to get that done this offseason."
Best news of the day...

I wonder if this splash is about to happen, hence the comment " something nice under the tree".

My other thought is that he isnt talking about a GM, why would Thurman be so upbeat about just a GM. I think hes talking about a HC.

HHURRICANE
12-21-2009, 01:17 PM
That's nice that Ralph wants to see some "fun footbal" at 91. Was 81 to young??

**** him.

yordad
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I hope he is right, but I also hope he stays out of it.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
i get juice's point though. how are they any better than a Matt Millen? They aren't even broadcasters who attend a ton of games.

I don't doubt their desire to see us get back to the promised land, but just banking on the 90's teams solely, doesn't make sense.

There are proven GM's out there who know how to put a team together quickly. IF we are wasting money on talley and thomas as consultants, we aren't in any better of a situation than we were through this ugly season.

I want Talley and Thomas' fandom. i think that's awesome that they are at the games and they take it personally, but they don't really have much of a track record to show that its meaningful change.

Agree 100%, though Thurman has a lot more inside access to the team and is more involved from the "outside" than say D.T. is, who still lives down South.

Interestingly enough, Darryl a month or so when I interviewed him literally offfered himself up to Wilson as a team consultant.

yordad
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Agree 100%, though Thurman has a lot more inside access to the team and is more involved from the "outside" than say D.T. is, who still lives down South.

Interestingly enough, Darryl a month or so when I interviewed him literally offfered himself up to Wilson as a team consultant.That to me sounds like a young surgeon hiring retired nurses to teach him the intricacies of new experimental surgeries.

Yasgur's Farm
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM

**** him.Holy ****... I get so tired of hearing this doom and gloom BS from you!!! If I felt like you I'd have to slit my ****ING wrists!
:rain: :hang:

X-Era
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Im listening to it now and hes saying what many of us have been saying. That Mike Shanahan would want Snyder tobe out of the way in Wash. Then says he doesnt think Mike would want to put up with Jones either. Interesting that right after Thurman said he thinks we will have a very nice present under the tree or a few weeks later, he immediately starts talking about Shanahan. Without being que-ed.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
One more thing... Chris Brown made this comment:

"According to Pro Football Talk, the Bills coaching offer to Mike Shanahan still stands.
Citing a conversation presumably with a league source, Pro Football Talk maintains that Buffalo’s offer to Shanahan is still on the table (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/20/bills-still-have-offer-on-table-for-shanahan/) despite all the reports coming out of Washington DC that the former Broncos head coach is already negotiating with the Redskins in the wake of Bruce Allen being named GM this past week.
Reports surfaced earlier this week that Shanahan communicated to the Bills that he and Allen were a “package deal” as front office man and coach."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/12/20/offer-still-there-for-shanahan/

------------------------

I just cant picture Chris saying that unless the Bills told him he could say that. How does a guy get away with talking about his bosses offer to Mike being on the table to the whole world?... Unless they told him it was OK.

The Juice Is Loose
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't think Thurman knows jack.

Great RB? Yes. Anything else? Not really.

How close can he and Ralph be? Ralph cut his ass and then he played for Miami.

Some player who has been out of the league, meaning NO OFFICIAL INVOLVMENT in 10 years? What does he know that Marv didn't?

OpIv37
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM

First, Thurman didn't say any different than the rhetoric we've heard coming out of the organization. Second, Thurman does not have any official connection to the organization or any say over how Ralph spends (or doesn't spend) money.

So, you can choose to believe or not to believe the "experts" on this board, but what Thurman said shouldn't change your opinion one way or the other. Until something happens, it's just more talk.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah i guess Charlie Weiss would make a BIG SPLASH wouldn't he?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 02:08 PM
First, Thurman didn't say any different than the rhetoric we've heard coming out of the organization. Second, Thurman does not have any official connection to the organization or any say over how Ralph spends (or doesn't spend) money.

So, you can choose to believe or not to believe the "experts" on this board, but what Thurman said shouldn't change your opinion one way or the other. Until something happens, it's just more talk.

Did you listen to the part where Thurman called Russ and talked about how we should be doing something when the Shanahan to the Skins stuff started circulating? To say he doesnt talk directly with the guys making the calls, isn't accurate... but re-reading your comments, you said "official".

OpIv37
12-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Did you listen to the part where Thurman called Russ and talked about how we should be doing something when the Shanahan to the Skins stuff started circulating? To say he doesnt talk directly with the guys making the calls, isn't accurate... but re-reading your comments, you said "official".

he may know something that we don't because I'm sure he talks to people involved in the organization, but at the same time, they're not going to tell him much more than what's known publicly on something like this. If there is real news, they'll come out and say it directly so they get the credit.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 02:13 PM
he may know something that we don't because I'm sure he talks to people involved in the organization, but at the same time, they're not going to tell him much more than what's known publicly on something like this. If there is real news, they'll come out and say it directly so they get the credit.

I agree on that.

I just want top know what were doing, and if its nothing, Id like to know that too.

ddaryl
12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Well thanks Thurman for giving me a warm fuzzy.

I have forgotten what a warm fuzzy felt like... now if only one of those warm fuzzy feelings would actually stick around for longer then a single offseason

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Im guessing

JP is on a plane from Oakland right this moment. He's coming back !! :D Fresh from a championship run.

Ed
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe the "big splash" is bringing Marv Levy back as HC. I think he really wanted the job when Mularkey quit, but Ralph denied him. It always sounded like he didn't really enjoy being a GM and still had that itch to be down on the field. I could see Thurman being excited about that...

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe the "big splash" is bringing Marv Levy back as HC. I think he really wanted the job when Mularkey quit, but Ralph denied him. It always sounded like he didn't really enjoy being a GM and still had that itch to be down on the field. I could see Thurman being excited about that...

Yes !! He could lead the team out on the field driving a Rascal mobility scooter.

Night Train
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Are we bringing back Polian?

Myron Polian, from Ralphs insurance office in Detroit. He counts beans with amazing accuracy !

In the 50 years of the Bills, Ralph had top guys running the front office and ran them all out of town. Dick Gallagher, Chuck Knox & Bill Polian.

I'm hoping like Thurman but I'm reserved until I see a proven GM type with a proven NFL coach.

10 years of no playoffs = no more Coordinators learning on the job. That ship has sailed, so spare me the warm and fuzzy Russ Grimm type talk. No more throwng mud at the wall.

Patti120
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Are you sure this comment wasn't made right before we signed TO? JK

dasaybz
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Seriously, how much ****ing worse can it get?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Seriously, how much ****ing worse can it get?

uh.... 11 years of no playoffs

and then 12

and then 13

HAMMER
12-21-2009, 03:44 PM
These players from the 90's team, that given four chances couldn't win a Super Bowl, that have no experience running a team are going to be a part of the rebuilding of the team? That's encouraging.

Historian
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Tasker's son is a hell of a QB for East Aurora Little loop....

:idunno:

BidsJr
12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

**** him.

**** you.

HHURRICANE
12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I like how people get pissed at me for calling out our owner. 50 years and counting without a championship.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Here's the funniest part. He can tell everyone that he tried to get Shanahan here knowing full well that he was never, ever, coming here.

Just like saying that we offered the richest contract in Bills history to Jason Peters knowing full well it was 2 million a year short of what was needed to keep him here long term. The market was 50 million and we offered him 40 million. Sorry but i'll take the 50 million. that simple.

The reason that big time coaches and players don't want to be here is because of our crappy owner's track record. Jim Kelly didn't want to be here!!!!!!! Think about that one.

Unless Ralph somehow pulls off a miracle, doubtful, we are in for more of the same. How our staff stays after taking Maybin over Orakpo is mind boggling.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Here's the funniest part. He can tell everyone that he tried to get Shanahan here knowing full well that he was never, ever, coming here.

Disagree. I think we have a legit shot.

Unless Ralph somehow pulls off a miracle, doubtful, we are in for more of the same. How our staff stays after taking Maybin over Orakpo is mind boggling.

Agree, anything less than a big name coach is more of the same IMO.

trapezeus
12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
forget the coach. we need that GM and scouting department that hits more than it folds.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Anyone else think that when Thurman calls Russ, he says to himself, "STFU and let me do my job you arm chair running back".

T-Long
12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a feeling a Schottenheimer reunion is coming. That's the only thing that could be a splash at this point. Cowher isn't coming...Gruden isn't. so who else is out there that would be a splash that they could have talked to already?

Historian
12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I like how people get pissed at me for calling out our owner. 50 years and counting without a championship.

Sorry, but it is what it is.

Just like saying that we offered the richest contract in Bills history to Jason Peters knowing full well it was 2 million a year short of what was needed to keep him here long term. The market was 50 million and we offered him 40 million. Sorry but i'll take the 50 million. that simple.

The reason that big time coaches and players don't want to be here is because of our crappy owner's track record. Jim Kelly didn't want to be here!!!!!!! Think about that one.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg:

Tom Cousineau
Will Wolford

The 1 mil he offered Butler.

Hell, we almost lost Bruce Smith in 1989!

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
I have a feeling a Schottenheimer reunion is coming. That's the only thing that could be a splash at this point. Cowher isn't coming...Gruden isn't. so who else is out there that would be a splash that they could have talked to already?

Why do you say Cowher and Gruden aren't coming... based on what?

Cleve
12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Maybe the "big splash" is bringing Marv Levy back as HC. ..

That would be more like "The Nightmare Before Christmas" instead of something "really, really nice under the tree". I still have a bad taste in my mouth from his awful stint as GM.

For all we know, Levy would bring Jauron back, since he's about the only person in pro football who thinks firing Jauron was a bad idea.

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Why do you say Cowher and Gruden aren't coming... based on what?

Gruden just said on the MNF pregame he would be coaching nothing next year but his sons team. We shall see.

BillsWin
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I too have the feeling this year is different.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Don't be surprised if the "Big Splash" is the hiring of Charlie Weis for head coach.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Don't be surprised if the "Big Splash" is the hiring of Charlie Weis for head coach.

Or something stupid like Jim Kelly becoming the GM and hiring Thurman as the next HC! :D:

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Will there be any water left in the pool? I mean seriously, the guy is Jabba the Hut.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Or something stupid like Jim Kelly becoming the GM and hiring Thurman as the next HC! :D:

:shoothead:

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Yeah these guys are just looking for a way to reserect the post game partys at Kellys every week :D

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Will there be any water left in the pool? I mean seriously, the guy is Jabba the Hut.

:roflmao: Now that was funny

tampabay25690
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
1 name that you might not want to forget....

TONY DUNGY......You heard it here....... I know that he was contacted by the organization in the past month...Dont know for sure if was front office or HC.....

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM
1 name that you might not want to forget....

TONY DUNGY......You heard it here....... I know that he was contacted by the organization in the past month...Dont know for sure if was front office or HC.....

Ehh, I'm not a big fan. He's got less emotion then Jauron and look at what Caldwell is doing in Indy right now...it's all Manning.