PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren to Browns

X-Era
12-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Shefter said he is going to take the Browns offer but wont be the HC. Just on NFL Live.

Night Train
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
He'll be the new "Czar " of losing in Cleveland.

He had his GM responsibilities stripped in Seattle with good reason. Better them than us.

He seems to have Tom Donahoe's " I know better than the scouts " philosophy.

Coaching is his only talent.

BillsWin
12-21-2009, 02:55 PM
I didn't want him anyway. Cowher and Shanahan are better in my opinion and Grimm is growing on me.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Give me Grimm or Zimmer with a great GM. Much better than a figure head.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 03:15 PM
$50 mil for 10 years with an option to coach...holy cow.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I just don't know about Grimm. I'm up in the air about him. He doesn't have any coordinator experience and has only been an OL coach...I believe?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I just don't know about Grimm. I'm up in the air about him. He doesn't have any coordinator experience and has only been an OL coach...I believe?

To me:

Unproven = up in the air

Just that easy.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I could care less about Holmgrem either.

But what I'd like someone to explain to me is exactly what is the love fest with Grimm all about?

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:50 PM

But what I'd like someone to explain to me is exactly what is the love fest with Grimm all about?

I just posted the same thing...I don't see it. That being said, I'm more then willing to have somebody pursuade me as to why he is the right choice and would change things here.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM

I think its a love fest for one of the top guys who isn't proven.

Thats not adequate for me to get excited, but thats just MO.

Demon
12-21-2009, 05:54 PM

His work with the Arizona offensive line has been special. He's been Cowher's right hand man for years so he needs to know a thing or two about how to run an offense, he wasn't just a offensive line coach. He was going to be the Steelers head coach after Cowher, so they all saw something in him, then i forget what happened but they shocked everyone and hired Tomlin. If he was good enough for Pittsburgh, how could he not be for us?

Also, heard a stat on radio that offensive lineman in coaching is like a catcher going to manage in baseball, they usually always work out.

I wouldn't mind Grimm but they would need to have a good GM with him and also bring in good assistants for him .

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
the last five Bills coaches:

Wade Philips - Coordinator and HC experience
Gregg Williams - Coordinator
Mike Mularkey - Coordinator
Dick Jauron - Coordinator and HC experience
Perry Fewell - Coordinator

none of the five a proven winner. Stop getting retreads that never won anywhere and stop looking for the next super coach that nobody has tabbed yet. Get me a winner. Throw the house at Cowher.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Done deal...NFL Network is reporting Holmgren is the new President of the Cleveland Browns.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM

none of the five a proven winner. Stop getting retreads that never won anywhere and stop looking for the next super coach that nobody has tabbed yet. Get me a winner. Throw the house at Cowher.
:clap:

Exactly!

Fantastic post!

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM

I second that!!!

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Also, heard a stat on radio that offensive lineman in coaching is like a catcher going to manage in baseball, they usually always work out.

further reading:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2009/10/major-league_catchers_developi.html

All of it speaks to what Nalbanthian and Guzzo called “The Catcher Theory.”

“We were intrigued by this notion,” Guzzo said. “We made the connection one night, probably in a bar, where we were talking about this paper that we were writing.”

At the start of the 2008 season, 12 of 30 major league managers came up as catchers.

Guzzo and Nalbantian calculated the probability of so many ex-catchers becoming managers at less than one in 1,000.

Judging by the numbers, they figured there had to be something to the notion.

“Maybe all baseball people think alike, maybe they all drink the same Kool-Aid and stuff,” Guzzo said. “But I don’t think so. There is more of a diversity of approaches in baseball than there was two decades ago.”

yordad
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
WTF, The Bills would have paid him twice that and he didn't even want to listen??

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
WTF, The Bills would have paid him twice that and he didn't even want to listen??

Could have been we didn't make enough of a push when we knew it was getting serious for him... or that we already have someone of our own quietly locked up.

Or that we intend to go another route cough-Cowher-cough

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Could have been we didn't make enough of a push when we knew it was getting serious for him... or that we already have someone of our own quietly locked up.

Or that we intend to go another route cough-Cowher-cough
That's not even the point.....he didn't want to talk to the Bills regardless their intent. He either really wanted this Cleveland job (meaning he used Seattle) or he would have taken anything other than the Bills job...that's not a good sign. First rule, never turn down an interview unless it is going to cost you your current job.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
That's not even the point.....he didn't want to talk to the Bills regardless their intent. He either really wanted this Cleveland job (meaning he used Seattle) or he would have taken anything other than the Bills job...that's not a good sign. First rule, never turn down an interview unless it is going to cost you your current job.

I just hope we have a legit shot at a big name guy.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 06:08 PM
If Cowher ends up coming here, I will personally ask Lecter to lick all of your balls.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:09 PM
If Cowher ends up coming here, I will personally ask Lecter to lick all of your balls.

Who's Lecter?

Michael82
12-21-2009, 06:10 PM
He didn't want to coach! Cleveland wanted him for GM only. We wanted him to come here and do both.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:11 PM
He didn't want to coach! Cleveland wanted him for GM only. We wanted him to come here and do both.

Could be just that easy...

Damn flies on the wall, we don't we have any at OBD?

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
I just hope we have a legit shot at a big name guy.
define "big name". Jimmy Johnson is a big name (and a winner) and I wouldn't want him within 20 miles of this team.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
link?

yordad
12-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Or that we intend to go another route cough-Cowher-coughI know you really want to believe that, but do you?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I know you really want to believe that, but do you?

I guess Im praying that where theres smoke, theres fire.

I think we are seriosuly wanting a big namer, and that we will make a legit effort.

Will it be enough? Maybe.

What do I believe? Little at this point, I have hope, that's about it.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
The lovefest for Grimm is that he's been a finalist for several jobs in the past few years and his coaching tree/pedigree is also top notch.

Does that mean he'll succeed as a HC? Not necessarily, but it's easy to see why some would get excited over him.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
The lovefest for Grimm is that he's been a finalist for several jobs in the past few years and his coaching tree/pedigree is also top notch.

Does that mean he'll succeed as a HC? Not necessarily, but it's easy to see why some would get excited over him.

Well, so has Gregg Williams.

Jeff1220
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Grimm has played for and coached for Super Bowl teams and Super Bowl champions. He has learned from Gibbs and Cowher (and Whisenhunt to a lesser extent). He has gotten the most out of the talent in his OLs and has the hard-nosed sort of personality that Buffalo likes. He's near the top of the 'no-HC-experience' HC possibility pool.

He'd be a decent consolation prize, but I still want a proven winner.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Grimm has played for and coached for Super Bowl teams and Super Bowl champions. He has learned from Gibbs and Cowher (and Whisenhunt to a lesser extent). He has gotten the most out of the talent in his OLs and has the hard-nosed sort of personality that Buffalo likes. He's near the top of the 'no-HC-experience' HC possibility pool.

He'd be a decent consolation prize, but I still want a proven winner.

So has Mangini and Crennel.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM
So has Mangini and Crennel.
Truthfully, that whole lineage of coaches has to be questioned...Belicheck hasn't spawned any success has he? That and the allegations of cheating has to raise a specter of doubt over that lineage.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Truthfully, that whole lineage of coaches has to be questioned...Belicheck hasn't spawned any success has he? That and the allegations of cheating has to raise a specter of doubt over that lineage.

Dont get me started on my anti-Pats rant.

I totally agree that outside of Belicheck and Parcells, we haven't seen anything worthy of note.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Dont get me started on my anti-Pats rant.

I totally agree that outside of Belicheck and Parcells, we haven't seen anything worthy of note.
Parcells spawns Belicheck...but has won nothing without him. Belicheck couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag in Cleveland and now looks like an all-star amongst coaches but can't spawn a winner...plus a cloud of cheating...something doesn't add up.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Parcells spawns Belicheck...but has won nothing without him. Belicheck couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag in Cleveland and now looks like an all-star amongst coaches but can't spawn a winner...plus a cloud of cheating...something doesn't add up.

Yep.

I think the Walsh lineage is much stronger... as is the Holmgren lineage.

Forward_Lateral
12-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I got 20 bucks that says Holmgrem is head coach of that team in less than a year from today.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I got 20 bucks that says Holmgrem is head coach of that team in less than a year from today.

Nah, he'll likely end up hiring Mooch or Morniwheg.

Someone he has experience with working with in the past.