PDA

View Full Version : John Murphy's take

YardRat
12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
For anybody that doesn't know who Murphy is, he's the sports director for Buffalo CBS affiliate WIVB Channel 4, and the radio voice of the Bills since Van Miller retired.

On his Murphy's Law segment on tonight's newscast, he through out Charlie Casserly and Russ Grimm as his choices for GM and HC.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:13 PM
For anybody that doesn't know who Murphy is, he's the sports director for Buffalo CBS affiliate WIVB Channel 4, and the radio voice of the Bills since Van Miller retired.

On his Murphy's Law segment on tonight's newscast, he through out Charlie Casserly and Russ Grimm as his choices for GM and HC.
Van Miller always seemed to have that little bit of "insider" to him. I never seen Murphy as that type. If he has any info why float it and cause the price to go up? I have to wonder if he is just shooting from the hip.

Casserly is credited with being the GM of a Redskins team that won SB XXVI but he took over a team that was stocked by Bobby Bethard who left in three years prior. From 89-92 the Skins were solid but after four years of Casserly at the helm they fell apart and he was fired in 1999. He has been the GM of exactly two winning teams (9-7 and 8-7-1) and no playoffs since 1992. I'm not sold.

yordad
12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Van Miller always seemed to have that little bit of "insider" to him. I never seen Murphy as that type. If he has any info why float it and cause the price to go up? I have to wonder if he is just shooting from the hip.

Casserly is credited with being the GM of a Redskins team that won SB XXVI but he took over a team that was stocked by Bobby Bethard who left in three years prior. From 89-92 the Skins were solid but after four years of Casserly at the helm they fell apart and he was fired in 1999. He has been the GM of exactly two winning teams (9-7 and 8-7-1) and no playoffs since 1992. I'm not sold.Well, I never even heard of the guy, but if your accurate, you sold me on not being sold.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
the polians of the world are allready employed

we will only get unemployed people

Demon
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM

I would love Casserly here. He made a bunch of mistakes in Houston, like hiring Gary Kubiak as HC, but everyone wanted Kubiak when he was leaving Denver. He was "the next one". He picked Mario Williams first overall when everyone said they should draft Reggie Bush or the local Vince Young, he was killed for taking Williams. Looking back on it, Williams should have been the first pick.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I would love Casserly here. He made a bunch of mistakes in Houston, like hiring Gary Kubiak as HC, but everyone wanted Kubiak when he was leaving Denver. He was "the next one". He picked Mario Williams first overall when everyone said they should draft Reggie Bush or the local Vince Young, he was killed for taking Williams. Looking back on it, Williams should have been the first pick.
here are his Houston picks...color me unimpressed.

<pre>

Further information: 2002 NFL Draft
Round/Pick Player Position College
1/1 David Carr Quarterback Fresno State
2/33 Jabar Gaffney Wide receiver Florida
2/50 Chester Pitts Offensive guard San Diego State
3/66 Fred Weary Offensive guard Tennessee
3/83 Charles Hill Defensive tackle Maryland
4/99 Jonathan Wells Running back Ohio State
5/136 Jarrod Baxter Fullback New Mexico
5/153 Ramon Walker Safety Pittsburgh
6/173 Demarcus Faggins Cornerback Kansas State
6/190 Howard Green Defensive tackle LSU
6/0 (Supplemental Draft) Milford Brown Offensive guard Florida State
7/229 Greg White Defensive end Minnesota
7/261 Ahmad Miller Defensive tackle UNLV
[edit] 2003
1/3 Andre Johnson Wide receiver Miami (FL)
2/41 (from New England) Bennie Joppru Tight end Michigan
2/0 (Supplemental Draft) Tony Hollings Running back Georgia Tech
3/67 Antwan Peek Linebacker Cincinnati
3/75 (from New England) Seth Wand Offensive tackle NW Missouri State
3/88 (from Atlanta) Dave Ragone Quarterback Louisville
4/101 Domanick Davis Running back LSU
6/192 Drew Henson Quarterback Michigan
6/214 Keith Wright Defensive tackle Missouri
7/217 Curry Burns Safety Louisville
7/233 Chance Pearce Center Texas A&M
[edit] 2004
1/10 Dunta Robinson Cornerback South Carolina
1/27 (from Tennessee) Jason Babin Defensive end Western Michigan
4/122 (from Indianapolis) Glenn Earl Safety Notre Dame
6/170 Vontez Duff Cornerback Notre Dame
6/175 (from Jacksonville) Jammal Lord Running back Nebraska
7/210 Raheem Orr Linebacker Rutgers
7/211 Sloan Thomas Wide receiver Texas
7/248 B.J. Symons Quarterback Texas Tech
[edit] 2005
1/16 (from New Orleans) Travis Johnson Defensive tackle Florida State
3/73 (from Dallas) Vernand Morency Running back Oklahoma State
4/114 Jerome Mathis Wide receiver Hampton
5/151 Drew Hodgdon Center Arizona State
6/188 C.C. Brown Safety Louisiana-Lafayette
7/277 Kenneth Pettway Linebacker Grambling
[edit] 2006
1/1 Mario Williams Defensive end North Carolina State
2/33 DeMeco Ryans Linebacker Alabama
3/65 Charles Spencer Offensive tackle Pittsburgh
3/66 (from New Orleans) Eric Winston Offensive tackle Miami (FL)
4/98 Owen Daniels Tight end Wisconsin
6/170 Wali Lundy Running back Virginia
7/251 David Anderson Wide receiver Colorado State

Demon
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Good stuff, EB. No wonder Houston can't sniff the playoffs. Those are horrid. 2006 was very good though. lol

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Yuck...EB just ruined it for me...I don't want this guy!

Jeff1220
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
As bad as those are, they're better than the Bills' drafts over the same stretch.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
As bad as those are, they're better than the Bills' drafts over the same stretch.
let's not hire somebody on the tallest dwarf principle.

BertSquirtgum
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
i've taken dumps that have sounded better than charlie casserly as gm.

Forward_Lateral
12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Is that the same Casserly who has a weekly spot on CBS pregame show? That guy doesn't now his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to football.

theanswer74
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Do people realize these guys are unemployed for a reason? Unless you go with someone new or someone retired, they all were fired.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Casserly is credited with being the GM of a Redskins team that won SB XXVI but he took over a team that was stocked by Bobby Bethard who left in three years prior. From 89-92 the Skins were solid but after four years of Casserly at the helm they fell apart and he was fired in 1999. He has been the GM of exactly two winning teams (9-7 and 8-7-1) and no playoffs since 1992. I'm not sold.

It wasn't stated in the context of inside info, rather who he would like to see the Bills hire to fill the positions.

IMO he might be taking the 'easy way out' with his opinion, knowing the Bills need both and that in all likelihood the GM/HC combo will have some kind of prior history together as Casserly and Grimm do.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Do people realize these guys are unemployed for a reason? Unless you go with someone new or someone retired, they all were fired.

Bill Polian was 'fired' at one time also.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Bill Polian was 'fired' at one time also.
twice.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
2006 was a home run draft.

You can compare our last 10 drafts to that one draft and Casserly got more talent than we did.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
A few things to know/note:

* Regarding Murphy, there is NOBODY around here more credible in the media than John Murphy.. If you don't know that then I don't know what to tell you.. He does have inside info, and the reason why he doesnt "break" more news is because he is a team broadcaster and network broadcaster. It isn't his "job" he's not Adam Schefter.. That would be like Chris Berman "breaking" news on ESPN.

I can assure you Murphy is right more than he's wrong, and I'll even share this nugget== When i was the first one to "break" news here last year that Derrick Dockery would get cut, I originally learned of it through him.. How so is my little secret.

Regarding Casserly.. YOu guys are obviously mainly right about Houston, but not one person wants to even mention that he won two super bowls in Washington as a GM ass't and one on his own? The guy has won PLENTY.

And to be honest, I think the exact same thing he does.. If I had to predict today, I think he could very well be our next GM and Grimm as our next HC.

ITs part of the reason why I mentioned a question Grimm on another thread earlier.

BILLSROCK1212
12-21-2009, 08:38 PM
i'm down w/ Grimm 100% he is my top choice above everyone except maybe Cowher, Casserly is meh, but I wouldn't be to upset if we hired him

Demon
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Poor drafts aside, if the Bills fire a respectable guy like Casserly, i wonder if that will change the opinions of Shanahan or Cowher? Adam Shefter said on ESPN tonight that Shanny will only go somewhere with a respectable GM running the place, and Casserly must be respected since he's spend so much time in this league. Not saying it would, but hmm....

Dying_-2-_Live
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Cowher is a long shot... but give em all you got and if he doesnt budge... call up Grimm and get the guy in B-LO

homeslice5484
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
We need the GM ASAP, then the coach.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM
I'd be down for this combo for sure. Casserly's not my first choice but hit on more first rounders than we have this whole decade.

Demon
12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd be down for this combo for sure. Casserly's not my first choice but hit on more first rounders than we have this whole decade.

If he can find another Matt Schaub from someone's bench, he'd be near god-status in Buffalo.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 10:46 PM
If the Bills wanted/want Casserly there is nothing to stop them from going after him now.

Brandon knows he's probably moving the "right" or "left" side of the football operations, so if the GM they covet isnt with a team right now, they dont have to wait.

Plus, hiring Casserly tomorrow wouldn't automatically mean Fewell is gone.

I dont know for sure obviously, just thinking if they're not after him now why would they be in a few weeks?

bflojohn
12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
My personal favorite is Floyd Reese, who ran the Tennessee Titans as their General Manager for a number of years. He also has been with the Patriots this season, so it is weakening their staff by way of his hiring (hopefully). He is a guy who I believe is well connected throughout this league. He would immediately change this program around, and remove all the dead weight that exists, at present! If he hired Russ Grimm. I'd be all for it because he'd get him the neccessary tools to work with, going forward. I am NOT opposed to Charlie Casserley, I just simply perfer Floyd Reese!!

The Spaz
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Would love Grimm as HC. Casserly not so sure about however he does take risks and that in itself is something we need instead of the same old signings of people who have been on and off the team the last 2-3 years but can't find a job elsewhere.

patmoran2006
12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
If he can find another Matt Schaub from someone's bench, he'd be near god-status in Buffalo.

Sadly, Schaub was the very next QB that went off the board in 2004, right after a guy named JP Losman.

Demon
12-22-2009, 12:13 AM
If the Bills wanted/want Casserly there is nothing to stop them from going after him now.

Brandon knows he's probably moving the "right" or "left" side of the football operations, so if the GM they covet isnt with a team right now, they dont have to wait.

I dont know for sure obviously, just thinking if they're not after him now why would they be in a few weeks?

Simple. They are waiting for Shanahan to make up his choice. If Shanahan does agree to come, he will have A LOT of say on who the GM will be. It's been noted many times by multiple people in the media that Shanahan wants to coach for a team with a stable GM, ala Bruce Allen in DC.

When they "start" the process to hire the best GM in their eyes, it's a sign of them taking the offer off the table from Shanahan.

And i don't care what anybody says, and won't believe anyone in the know, Perry Fewell ain't coming back. Only chance he ever had was if he beat the Pats and Colts, he was going to get a real interview.

patmoran2006
12-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Simple. They are waiting for Shanahan to make up his choice. If Shanahan does agree to come, he will have A LOT of say on who the GM will be. It's been noted many times by multiple people in the media that Shanahan wants to coach for a team with a stable GM, ala Bruce Allen in DC.

When they "start" the process to hire the best GM in their eyes, it's a sign of them taking the offer off the table from Shanahan.

And i don't care what anybody says, and won't believe anyone in the know, Perry Fewell ain't coming back. Only chance he ever had was if he beat the Pats and Colts, he was going to get a real interview.

Despite contrary reports, its my understanding the Bills have not actually made an offer to Shanahan.

What you say obviously makes perfect sense, I'm just saying IF they wanted Casserly they could pursue him now.

Plus, I think its irrelevent. I really don't see anyway that Shanahan is not coaching the Redskins on January 5th or before that.

Demon
12-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Despite contrary reports, its my understanding the Bills have not actually made an offer to Shanahan.

What you say obviously makes perfect sense, I'm just saying IF they wanted Casserly they could pursue him now.

Plus, I think its irrelevent. I really don't see anyway that Shanahan is not coaching the Redskins on January 5th or before that.

About Shanahan- interesting, not sure i can believe it. No offense. If that is true, then i'm totally wrong on that post.

And i am not disagreeing, i think he's a lock for Washington. Makes too much sense. But that's why i think it makes sense our offer is still on the table, that we are waiting. We could interview a lot of guys right now, but are choosing not to. There must be a reason. Not sure what that reason is, the "waiting for Shanahan" just makes a lot of sense too.

BillsWin
12-22-2009, 12:29 AM
with Shanahan to the Skins a very likely scenario, I really think I would only be happy with Cowher or Grimm.

I would be mildly satisfied with Billick.

Historian
12-22-2009, 05:22 AM
A few things to know/note:

* Regarding Murphy, there is NOBODY around here more credible in the media than John Murphy.. If you don't know that then I don't know what to tell you..

Absolutely.

He does have inside info, and the reason why he doesnt "break" more news is because he is a team broadcaster and network broadcaster. It isn't his "job" he's not Adam Schefter.. That would be like Chris Berman "breaking" news on ESPN.

This I disagree with. The reason he doesn't break news is because he is partially employed by the Bills.

Players, Coaches, etc, these are serious negotiations for serious money. If an insider tips off the rest of the press, it could blow the whole deal.

The Bills are very cognizant of that.

It's sort of an in-house National Securtity Act.

I can't say I blame them either.

kernowboy
12-22-2009, 06:15 AM
Personally I'd rather take a Director of Player Personnel - someone looking to step up to GM, who have a massive part to play in who gets drafted even when its the GM who pull the trigger.

I would love it if we got Eric De Costa who has learnt under Ossie Newsome at the Ravens.

As for Russ Grimm, its a no-brainer decision to make as soon as the Cardinals are out of the playoffs

ParanoidAndroid
12-22-2009, 06:59 AM
i've taken dumps that have sounded better than charlie casserly as gm.

I think Pffffffffft Kerploop would make a great BM... I mean GM.

dasaybz
12-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Good stuff, EB. No wonder Houston can't sniff the playoffs. Those are horrid. 2006 was very good though. lol

Horrid? Are we reading the same thing? Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Mario Williams, Owen Daniels ...

What is horrid about that?

RockStar36
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm not the biggest Casserly fan, but I'm not 100% against it like some of you.

Those drafts aren't all that bad and compared to the Bills, they are fantastic drafts.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Ya I'm feeling that to. I really think there targets are someone who is a director of either college or pro scouts. Gabriel could be the guy but someone stated that we love Dave Gettlemen and I think he has buffalo ties as well. Gettlemen would be a great pick up I'd expect him to get a coach like Coughlin, someone like Zimmer.