PDA

View Full Version : Shefter dropping bombshells on Mike Shanahan

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Just said he will NOT be the next HC for Dallas and that he wants a job where the owner will be out of the way. He said that Washington is the favorite but that no decision has been made (by Mike)... Buffalo is still in this mix.

Now, anyone can see that Ralph will be less of a pain in the ass than Snyder.

He also said that theres a growing feeling that Jason Campbell may be the long term answer in Washington from inside that org.

It isnt over folks.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:36 PM
that he wants a job where the owner will be out of the way

well, that eliminates Dallas, Washington and Buffalo. Jones, Snyder and Ralph are the biggest meddlers, ever.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
its over. shanny is not coming here.

just accept it and you dont have the dissapointment to start your next decade

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Bruce Allen just said that he has not had conversations with Mike about him being the HC, and followed it by saying that he has total control...

Thats not sounding like as good an offer ashe might have here.

Goobylal
12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Does Shanahan want Bruce Allen as his GM?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
well, that eliminates Dallas, Washington and Buffalo. Jones, Snyder and Ralph are the biggest meddlers, ever.

How is Ralph even in the same planet with Snyder?

What has he done that even comes close?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Does Shanahan want Bruce Allen as his GM?
That was the speculation that Bruce just squashed.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
its over. shanny is not coming here.

just accept it and you dont have the dissapointment to start your next decade

I will accept it the same moment he signs elsewhere, until then we are still in the mix.

Demon
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Funny, because i still bet he selects Washington.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
12-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I will accept it the same moment he signs elsewhere, until then we are still in the mix.

Hope springs eternal :)

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
no meddling owner for shanahan = not coming here

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Funny, because i still bet he selects Washington.

Only thing I see that they have over us is a ton of money and a willingness to spend it.

A clown, meddlesome, owner who will pull the plug at a moments notice but who has very deep pockets

or

A old owner who will wait too long to pull the plug but whom is much more frugal

Tough one.

I know what I would pick, it wouldn't be the pain in the ass boss. Id rather trust in my abilities and take the harder challenge where I need to make smarter, more frugal moves instead of just throwing money at it.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM

So wheres he going again? With that dream owner?

Jeff1220
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Really, there aren't many owners that don't meddle.

Goobylal
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
If Snyder will agree to butt-out to land Shanny, so too will Ralph. Doesn't mean the Bills will land Shanny, but Ralph meddling isn't the reason.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
How is Ralph even in the same planet with Snyder?

What has he done that even comes close?
Ralph's history is terrible. He chased Saban out of here twice. He made it so terrible for Knox that Chuck jumped ship. He basically forced Philips and Butler out of here. Rumor has it that Marv and TD called him daily to update him on the team...he legacy is brutal.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
So wheres he going again? With that dream owner?

Sit at home if a job he wants doesn't open.

He can always come back in 2011.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
I love the optimism, but this is Buffalo...I just don't see it happening. Don't get me wrong...it would be nice.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Sit at home if a job he wants doesn't open.

He can always come back in 2011.
he will make $7 mil from the Broncos for not working; just like this season.

DMBcrew36
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM

Behind Al Davis.

Dr. Lecter
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Ralph's history is terrible. He chased Saban out of here twice. He made it so terrible for Knox that Chuck jumped ship. He basically forced Philips and Butler out of here. Rumor has it that Marv and TD called him daily to update him on the team...he legacy is brutal.

Are solely blaming Ralph for Saban, who changed jobs every year?

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Saban was a vagabond but RW chased him out of here twice. Yes, maybe somebody with more "roots" may have put up with it longer but that doesn't relieve RW of blame.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
he will make $7 mil from the Broncos for not working; just like this season.

Exactly.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Ralph chased out Polian...there is a history there.

NorthCarBills
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
I love the optimism, but this is Buffalo...I just don't see it happening. Don't get me wrong...it would be nice.

LOL I cant even tell when I'm being optimistic or realistic anymore with this coaching carosel going on.

Just curious...has anyone ever considered the Colts OC / Asst. HC Clyde Christensen? Prior to he was their receivers coach I believe. Maybe someone else to consider if all else fails?

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
LOL I cant even tell when I'm being optimistic or realistic anymore with this coaching carosel going on.

Just curious...has anyone ever considered the Colts OC / Asst. HC Clyde Christensen? Prior to he was their receivers coach I believe. Maybe someone else to consider if all else fails?

I honestly don't even know who's a good fit here anymore...my head is spinning!

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

So, I remember the whole Butler mess.

Ralph went to him (by his account) multiple times and asked him what he wanted to do with his contract and Butler wouldn't answer. Many assumed it was because John had his sights set on the SD job.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Ralph chased out Polian...there is a history there.
not exactly...two different theories there.

1) BP couldn't get along with one of RW's daughters and told her off using expletives.

2) BP couldn't get along with Jeff Littman and his constant overbearing presence on the day to day business.

Either RW was justified or BPs problem was in other areas.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Ralph went to him (by his account) multiple times and asked him what he wanted to do with his contract and Butler wouldn't answer. Many assumed it was because John had his sights set on the SD job.
Correct to a point...RW was also starting to meddle in the whole Wade Philips, Ronnie Jones and special teams flap. Butler wasn't innocent on that one but neither was RW.

Nighthawk
12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
not exactly...two different theories there.

1) BP couldn't get along with one of RW's daughters and told her off using expletives.

2) BP couldn't get along with Jeff Littman and his constant overbearing presence on the day to day business.

Either RW was justified or BPs problem was in other areas.

I hear ya, but I used to work at the stadium and his daughters were anything but friendly and Littman is a pain in the ass. So in the end, it all comes back to Ralph.

Yasgur's Farm
12-21-2009, 07:22 PM

Ralph went to him (by his account) multiple times and asked him what he wanted to do with his contract and Butler wouldn't answer. Many assumed it was because John had his sights set on the SD job.That's exactly the way it happened. Ralph explained it in detail on the radio... It was almost like "I have no choice". Butler wasn't doing his job and the Bills needed to move on.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Correct to a point...RW was also starting to meddle in the whole Wade Philips, Ronnie Jones and special teams flap. Butler wasn't innocent on that one but neither was RW.

Thats my point, he may meddle to some degree, and even fire the wrong guy (Polian). But thats not the same level of clown that Snyder is.

This is just a overview:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12673235/cerrato-latest-to-earn-scapegoat-label-under-snyders-skins

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Thats my point, he may meddle to some degree, and even fire the wrong guy (Polian). But thats not the same level of clown that Snyder is.

This is just a overview:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12673235/cerrato-latest-to-earn-scapegoat-label-under-snyders-skins
I'm not trying to discuss the matter of degrees...the quote said Shanny doesn't want interference...RW is a meddler. That's oil and water.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm not trying to discuss the matter of degrees...the quote said Shanny doesn't want interference...RW is a meddler. That's oil and water.

I wonder if Mike can get a chance at a truly laid back owner.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
I wonder if Mike can get a chance at a truly laid back owner.
Look at the cities that get thrown out there for him. Houston would seem to be the spot. I'm not saying the other 27 owners are sweethearts but there are some that are worse than others...I would include RW on the more meddling side.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Look at the cities that get thrown out there for him. Houston would seem to be the spot. I'm not saying the other 27 owners are sweethearts but there are some that are worse than others...I would include RW on the more meddling side.

Houston is still in the mix for a playoff spot, they may miss the melee.

I will agree that if they can Kubiak, which is a big if IMO, they are a more desirable destination than Buff.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Houston is still in the mix for a playoff spot, they may miss the melee.

I will agree that if they can Kubiak, which is a big if IMO, they are a more desirable destination than Buff.
and you got to ask...would you give up $7 mil to put up with a meddler or wait and see what opens up next year? the guy has all the cards.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
and you got to ask...would you give up $7 mil to put up with a meddler or wait and see what opens up next year? the guy has all the cards.

Do we know we wont or haven't offered more than 7 mill per year?

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Do we know we wont or haven't offered more than 7 mill per year?
he had two years left on his Denver contract. He got $7 mil to sit this year and the same holds true if he doesn't work next year. If he makes less than $7 mil next year they come up with the rest.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/21/schefter-shanahan-wont-be-joining-the-cowboys/

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Sheftner was on the ESPN pre game tonight commenting on if Shanahan would be interested in the Dallas job if Wade gets axed.

Adam said Shanahan WILL NOT got to the Cowboys. He said Shanahan WILL GO to a team where the owner has turned control of football operations over to a good GM. Which he said is why Washington is the most likely at this time after hiring Bruce Allen.

Leaves us out IMO

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Sheftner was on the ESPN pre game tonight commenting on if Shanahan would be interested in the Dallas job if Wade gets axed.

Adam said Shanahan WILL NOT got to the Cowboys. He said Shanahan WILL GO to a team where the owner has turned control of football operations over to a good GM. Which he said is why Washington is the most likely at this time after hiring Bruce Allen.

Leaves us out IMO

Why do you say were out when many reports have us willing to give our big name HC full control?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Zorn gets all of what, one full year? I mean rumors were floating he was on the hot seat during early this year and he was just hired prior to last year.

Sounds like a good owner, who really trusts in the guys he hires.

On the flip side, we keep our 3 year loser for yet another year to give him one more shot.

Billz_fan
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
History :laughter:

Hope Im wrong though.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Zorn gets all of what, one full year? I mean rumors were floating he was on the hot seat during early this year and he was just hired prior to last year.

Sounds like a good owner, who really trusts in the guys he hires.

On the flip side, we keep our 3 year loser for yet another year to give him one more shot.
all about RW not spending money....what happens if he hires Shanny at $10 mil a year for five or six years after two or three they guy is a loser?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
all about RW not spending money....what happens if he hires Shanny at $10 mil a year for five or six years after two or three they guy is a loser?
Two or three would seem like a better deal than the one that Snyder seems to be willing to "trust" his guys for.

If 3 years in, Shanahan leads us to zero playoffs, you pull the plug. You don't do it after one or even two IMO.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Two or three would seem like a better deal than the one that Snyder seems to be willing to "trust" his guys for.

If 3 years in, Shanahan leads us to zero playoffs, you pull the plug. You don't do it after one or even two IMO.
you think RW pulls the plug on $20 mil?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
you think RW pulls the plug on $20 mil?

No, I think he would ride it out.

But I simply am saying that Shanahan has less security, day one, in Washington than he does here, and with us keeping Dick so long that would seem to be proven.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

The above, if the consensus of the fans and franchise, is why a big name shouldn't be brought in.

This team will not make the playoffs in that time frame no matter who the coach is. An entire roster turnover has to be done for this team to realistically compete.

I'm talking around 35-40 guys who shouldn't be here, starting depth or otherwise.

It's gonna take a few years to clear out the dead weight.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

We're in no way close to legitimately competing at this time.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
The above, if the consensus of the fans and franchise, is why a big name shouldn't be brought in.

This team will not make the playoffs in that time frame no matter who the coach is. An entire roster turnover has to be done for this team to realistically compete.

I'm talking around 35-40 guys who shouldn't be here, starting depth or otherwise.

It's gonna take a few years to clear out the dead weight.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

We're in no way close to legitimately competing at this time.

Where did I say that RW would can a guy after 3 years if he didnt make the playoffs? Didnt Jauron just prove that?

I don't necessarily agree BTW. I think this team could be at 9 and 7 and in the mix next year with the right moves.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Where did I say that RW would can a guy after 3 years if he didnt make the playoffs? Didnt Jauron just prove that?

I don't necessarily agree BTW. I think this team could be at 9 and 7 and in the mix next year with the right moves.

Your idea was give the guy three years, then pull the plug if no playoffs.

It would take a miracle of epic proportions to get this squad in the playoffs in three years.

There's holes everywhere, we have no QB, we have no line to protect a QB, we have receivers who can't get open, we have a weak pass rush and we have no linebackers worth a lick.

So since you think we can be in the mix next year, what can we get in one offseason to get us there?

YardRat
12-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I still say Shanny ends up in Dallas, despite what Shefter maintains.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Your idea was give the guy three years, then pull the plug if no playoffs.

It would take a miracle of epic proportions to get this squad in the playoffs in three years.

There's holes everywhere, we have no QB, we have no line to protect a QB, we have receivers who can't get open, we have a weak pass rush and we have no linebackers worth a lick.

So since you think we can be in the mix next year, what can we get in one offseason to get us there?

I think you get two games as wins if you add a legit starter at QB for next year. Mike Vick gets us two more wins IMO.

Get a real, offensive minded, big name, HC and we get one more win.

Even though we lose TO, I think a real HC can get a replacement who is younger and almost as solid at WR.

Draft a LT first and foremost.

Our OL, with a new LT in hand, and every one back from injury has a ton of depth and player to pick from on the OL.

Add in a future QB, a LB, and a DE/DT

and yeah, I can see 9 wins.

The QB spot is key.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Hell, if we can win five games with this crew, and it's not a reach to say they should have at least seven or eight, 10 wins in '10 is very doable.

Demon
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
After that pitiful first half, Bruce Allen may fire Jim Zorn at half-time. LOL

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I think you get two games as wins if you add a legit starter at QB for next year. Mike Vick gets us two more wins IMO.

Even though we lose TO, I think a real HC can get a replacement who is younger and almost as solid at WR.

Our OL, with a new LT in hand, and every one back from injury has a ton of depth and player to pick from on the OL.

The QB spot is key.

I think the lines are key, you got to be able to keep you QB upright to run an offense and a D-line that can get some pressure without blitzing.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:00 PM

The QB spot is key.

Herein lies the problem...

This team has needed a complete and total roster turnover for years now.

If we try the patchwork route again where we replace a guy here, add a guy there, we're in the same place.

Year after year we add some guy who's supposed to do it or the fanbase thinks will do it. Like TO last offseason as example.

Out of all the QBs available to us, Vick is likely the best fit, we need someone who can run for his life, buy time and make plays with his legs.

A pocket passer here would get destroyed because the line is outright putrid.

We're about to lose 2 and maybe 3 WRs this offseason. 2 of them will have to be replaced...Parrish, Reed, TO all likely out.

We are in desperate need of a competent QB, could be Vick, could be some guy we reach for in the draft, Claussen. Problem is if we go the draft route for a QB...I think we're looking at 5 more years of crappy play. I'm not a fan of anyone in this QB draft class.

Just as desperate of a need is Oline help.

We all know we have plenty of holes on defense and if we get a HC that changes the scheme well, oh boy, that's about all I have to say on how bad we'll be for a few years while trying to find the proper players to fit the scheme. 3-4 defensive lineman don't grow on trees and with many teams using the scheme it's gonna be tough to bring one in. Look at KC who switched, one of our old castoffs...Ron Edwards...is playing NT. To be honest, how poor KC is on defense, is how poor we'll be for at least year 1.

IMO next year will be worse than this year, and honestly, it should be. People should realize that it's time to blow it up and start over. When you blow it up, you're gonna suck for at least a year.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Herein lies the problem...

This team has needed a complete and total roster turnover for years now.

If we try the patchwork route again where we replace a guy here, add a guy there, we're in the same place.

Year after year we add some guy who's supposed to do it or the fanbase thinks will do it. Like TO last offseason as example.

Out of all the QBs available to us, Vick is likely the best fit, we need someone who can run for his life, buy time and make plays with his legs.

A pocket passer here would get destroyed because the line is outright putrid.

We're about to lose 2 and maybe 3 WRs this offseason. 2 of them will have to be replaced...Parrish, Reed, TO all likely out.

We are in desperate need of a competent QB, could be Vick, could be some guy we reach for in the draft, Claussen. Problem is if we go the draft route for a QB...I think we're looking at 5 more years of crappy play. I'm not a fan of anyone in this QB draft class.

Just as desperate of a need is Oline help.

We all know we have plenty of holes on defense and if we get a HC that changes the scheme well, oh boy, that's about all I have to say on how bad we'll be for a few years while trying to find the proper players to fit the scheme. 3-4 defensive lineman don't grow on trees and with many teams using the scheme it's gonna be tough to bring one in. Look at KC who switched, one of our old castoffs...Ron Edwards...is playing NT. To be honest, how poor KC is on defense, is how poor we'll be for at least year 1.

IMO next year will be worse than this year, and honestly, it should be. People should realize that it's time to blow it up and start over. When you blow it up, you're gonna suck for at least a year.

But hold on,

You dodged having all of our OL back healthy

And what a guy like Vick might buy you

Not to mention adding guys like Merriman in FA, or drafting Bradford/Clausen/Campbell/Davis/Capers

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
After that pitiful first half, Bruce Allen may fire Jim Zorn at half-time. LOL

After that last play, I don't think Zorn is gonna be allowed in the locker room at half time.

Wow.

What a disaster.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Outside of LT, which we need desperately, I'm pretty optimistic about how our o-line is shaping up for next season.

If any of them can stay healthy for more than two games in a row, that is.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Outside of LT, which we need desperately, I'm pretty optimistic about how our o-line is shaping up for next season.

If any of them can stay healthy for more than two games in a row, that is.

I think our next HC will see what you see. I think we get a new LT early in the draft or in FA.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
But hold on,

You dodged having all of our OL back healthy

And what a guy like Vick might buy you

Not to mention adding guys like Merriman in FA, or drafting Bradford/Clausen/Campbell/Davis/Capers

Healthy?

We have three average lineman.

And to expect Wood to be healthy to start the year is a stretch or to expect him to be the same player as he was before is also a stretch.

Bell, Chambers, Meredith for example shouldn't be here or anywhere else in the NFL for that matter next year.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Healthy?

We have three average lineman.

And to expect Wood to be healthy to start the year is a stretch or to expect him to be the same player as he was before is also a stretch.

Bell, Chambers, Meredith for example shouldn't be here or anywhere else in the NFL for that matter next year.

I see them a bit better.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Even if Woods isn't healthy to start the year, I could deal with New Guy-Levitre-Hangartner-Incognito-Butler to start the season. Of course, that means Richie wanting to come back and the team re-signing him.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
I see them a bit better.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is the worst assembled offensive line in the history of the franchise.

And it's easily, easily, the worst o-line in the league right now.

Neither tackle spot is any good, even when everyone we have is healthy.

The center is a moderate upgrade over Fowler.

The guards have some upside, if Wood can fully recover from his injury. I was actually impressed with him, when he did play. Not a fan of Levitre but he does have upside.

The depth? Well we've seen them play...they are a joke.

As of right now, if everyone was healthy, the line is as follows

Bell, Wood, Hangartner, Levitre, Butler with Incognito being the top interior depth, Chambers being the top exterior depth. Chambers is garbage as is everyone behind him.

That is so bad that brutal doesn't do it enough justice.

Bell needs to be replaced, Wood if not 100% needs to be replaced at least for a year, Hangartner we can live with for now, Levitre we can hope will get better and Butler needs to be replaced.

To be honest I wouldn't mind Butler as the exterior depth and Chambers out.

We can't run block, we can't pass block and we don't have mentally tough or smart players on the line. As evidenced by all the penalties those guys acquire week in and week out.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is the worst assembled offensive line in the history of the franchise.

And it's easily, easily, the worst o-line in the league right now.

Neither tackle spot is any good, even when everyone we have is healthy.

The center is a moderate upgrade over Fowler.

The guards have some upside, if Wood can fully recover from his injury. I was actually impressed with him, when he did play. Not a fan of Levitre but he does have upside.

The depth? Well we've seen them play...they are a joke.

As of right now, if everyone was healthy, the line is as follows

Bell, Wood, Hangartner, Levitre, Butler with Incognito being the top interior depth, Chambers being the top exterior depth. Chambers is garbage as is everyone behind him.

That is so bad that brutal doesn't do it enough justice.

Bell needs to be replaced, Wood if not 100% needs to be replaced at least for a year, Hangartner we can live with for now, Levitre we can hope will get better and Butler needs to be replaced.

To be honest I wouldn't mind Butler as the exterior depth and Chambers out.

We can't run block, we can't pass block and we don't have mentally tough or smart players on the line. As evidenced by all the penalties those guys acquire week in and week out.
Ok, I just disagree.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok, I just disagree.

oh so you think we can pass block? run block? that we have intelligent players?

Name one positive thing about anyone on this line besides Wood.

Actually I'll leave that question up to anyone who thinks this is a decent line or should remain largely intact going into next season.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
oh so you think we can pass block? run block? that we have intelligent players?

Name one positive thing about anyone on this line besides Wood.

Actually I'll leave that question up to anyone who thinks this is a decent line or should remain largely intact going into next season.

This is my assessment:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184349

Yeah, I think we could be pretty decent on the OL.

T-Long
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know about you, but I think Levitre is going to be a helluva lineman for us

chernobylwraiths
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Ralph didn't meddle when Donahoe was in charge.

The Juice Is Loose
12-21-2009, 09:51 PM
maybe if we hire a coach with some balls they'll just ignore ralph.

X-Era
12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/22/bruce-allen-claims-he-hasnt-talked-to-shanahan-about-working-together/