PDA

View Full Version : Could Tebow revolutionize NFL QBing?

yordad
12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Could Tebow revolutionize NFL QBing? I mean, teams dabble with the wildcat thing all the time. What if one of the RBs was really a QB? A QB who can run between the tackles?

Seriously? Why couldn't a team line Tebow up at shotgun every time? He could line up empty backfield, or have a FB.

He could literally line up everything from shotgun, with a versatile FB every time.

A. Hand ball off.

B. Fake the handoff and

1). run.
a). Possibly use FB as a lead blocker
b). possibly use FB as misdirection and run opposite direction
c) Or just run up the gut like Ronnie Brown
2). Pass
a). Have FB pass protect while Tebow drops back
b). Use FB misdirection while rolling opposite way
c). Screen pass to fullback.
3). Option it.

He could seriously call the same formation with different routes every single play. Nothing complicated for the offense, but the defense has to look out for everything on every play. The handoff, the screen, the misdirection, the rollout, the edge, the inside, the pass to any place on the field.

The benefit would be an extra blocker, and time. No two step hand offs, no turning your back to the defense, no drop backs (not as much since he is already in shotgun), no play action (which combines all the other negative).

Every play is a play action, from an option QB who is always facing the defense.

The main reason this would be revolutionary is he could be a QB. This could be a base offense. Biggest problem is, who is going to be his back up?

Or maybe he is just a package QB. Thoughts?

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Revolutionize by going back to the option, veer and wing-T? No thanks.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Could Tebow revolutionize NFL QBing? I mean, teams dabble with the wildcat thing all the time. What if one of the RBs was really a QB? A QB who can run between the tackles?

Seriously? Why couldn't a team line Tebow up at shotgun every time? He could line up empty backfield, or have a FB.

He could literally line up everything from shotgun, with a versatile FB every time.

A. Hand ball off.

B. Fake the handoff and

1). run.
2). Pass
3). Option it.

He could seriously call the same formation with different routes every single play. Nothing complicated for the offense, but the defense has to look out for everything on every play. The handoff, the screen, the misdirection, the rollout, the edge, the inside, the pass to any place on the field.

The benefit would be an extra blocker, and time. No two step hand offs, no turning your back to the defense, no drop backs (not as much since he is already in shotgun), no play action (which combines all the other negative).

Every play is a play action, from an option QB who is always facing the defense.

The main reason this would be revolutionary is he could be a QB. This could be a base offense. Biggest problem is, who is going to be his back up?

I cant see it man.

There's parts of the field that he cant consistently hit in a timely manner.

I also think he telegraphs his throws with his slow wind up.

Can he run? yes. Can he lead? yes. Can he do everything you need him to do at QB? NO... IMO.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I cant see it man.

There's parts of the field that he cant consistently hit in a timely manner.

I also think he telegraphs his throws with his slow wind up.

Can he run? yes. Can he lead? yes. Can he do everything you need him to do at QB? NO... IMO.

Forward_Lateral
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
If he does, God let it NOT be in Buffalo.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
If he doesn't play for a well stacked Florida team does he get any consideration?

For the Heisman? Maybe. He is a well known leader and fiery player. He has a multitude of plays in college that most players cant make.

But as a QB, in the NFL, he has bad mechanics, and a weak arm where he makes "lobs" instead of throwing on a rope. To me, that means he will telegraph his throws and/or make throws that the much fatser NFL DB's can recover on and pick him off IMO.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 08:03 PM
If he doesn't play for a well stacked Florida team does he get any consideration?

For the Heisman? Maybe. He is a well known leader and fiery player. He has a multitude of plays in college that most players cant make.

But as a QB, in the NFL, he has bad mechanics, and a weak arm where he makes "lobs" instead of throwing on a rope. To me, that means he will telegraph his throws and/or make throws that the much fatser NFL DB's can recover on and pick him off IMO. I think if he was at Rice, Baylor or Arizona St. (just naming three perennial also-rans) I don't think he gets mentioned for anything at all.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
I think if he was at Rice, Baylor or Arizona St. (just naming three perennial also-rans) I don't think he gets mentioned for anything at all.

I don't know, tough to say. The guy can get you yards and I cant see him not being noticed on any other team. But much of his hype comes from Florida's success too.

I honestly don't know.

I just cant see him as a legit starter in the NFL.

YardRat
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Michael Vick, and many others, were expected to 'revolutionize' the QB position.

tampabay25690
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Michael Vick, and many others, were expected to 'revolutionize' the QB position.

VICK did where were you?

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I think if he was at Rice, Baylor or Arizona St. (just naming three perennial also-rans) I don't think he gets mentioned for anything at all.

Tebow is Antwaan Randle El at a bigger school.

Nothing more, nothing less.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Tebow is Antwaan Randle El at a bigger school.

Nothing more, nothing less.

A decent WR who used to play QB? I don't see the speed for that. I see him being a accomplished version of Scott Frost, at S.

hydro
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
VICK did where were you?

Yeah... right. So revolutionary that there are less than a handful of QBs that have a style even close to his. He didn't revolutionize anything. If he had we would see at least 10 Qbs in the league that play just like he does.

X-Era
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah... right. So revolutionary that there are less than a handful of QBs that have a style even close to his. He didn't revolutionize anything. If he had we would see at least 10 Qbs in the league that play just like he does.
McNair
Young
Culpepper
McNabb
Troy Smith
Josh Freeman
Pat White

?

Not revolutionary, but maybe a style?

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
A decent WR who used to play QB? I don't see the speed for that. I see him being a accomplished version of Scott Frost, at S.

I was meaning how they both played the QB position at the college level.

Josh Cribbs wasn't much different as a college QB either.

Ebenezer
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
McNair
Young
Culpepper
McNabb
Troy Smith
Josh Freeman
Pat White

?

Not revolutionary, but maybe a style?
Style as in black? Those QBs have a variety of styles but they are all black, no?

And how can Vick be a revolutionary for McNair and Culpepper?

X-Era
12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Style as in black? Those QBs have a variety of styles but they are all black, no?

No. Athletic guys who can run as well as throw. Rivers might also fit but I hate his mechanics.

That's what I meant, a style. The QB who can run and throw vs. the classic pocket passer.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Randall Cunningham would be the revolutionary QB you're looking for to start the athletic guy who can throw and run thing.

Philagape
12-21-2009, 10:53 PM
VICK did where were you?

Earth?

Ingtar33
12-22-2009, 12:48 AM

lol. that's all the wildcat is. a double option 1-read offense, run out of shotgun rather then under center.

To call the wildcat a "revolution" is a joke. It's just fancy looking version of a 1950s option offense. Tebow is basically an option QB, like Bobby Layne (only not half the passer Layne was). There is nothing "revolutionary" about that.

yordad
12-22-2009, 06:06 AM
It would in the least be re-revolutionary if it because an NFL base offense. He could be fairly scary after a few years of tweaking in Miami.

Forward_Lateral
12-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Randall Cunningham would be the revolutionary QB you're looking for to start the athletic guy who can throw and run thing.

See: Warren Moon.

ParanoidAndroid
12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Tebow is one of those rare competitors like Flutie or Tasker.... they seem to will themselves to success despite their shortcomings.
In order for him to be a full-time starter in the NFL, he's going to have to get better and I think he really has a shot to do that.
I don't think he will revolutionize the NFL QB position. Why? Quite simply, nothing he does is any different than what has already been done.
He is a QB who can also run.
It is his ability to make things happen, his ability to make plays that win ball games that makes him so good.

X-Era
12-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Tebow is one of those rare competitors like Flutie or Tasker.... they seem to will themselves to success despite their shortcomings.
In order for him to be a full-time starter in the NFL, he's going to have to get better and I think he really has a shot to do that.
I don't think he will revolutionize the NFL QB position. Why? Quite simply, nothing he does is any different than what has already been done.
It is his ability to make things happen, his ability to make plays that win ball games that makes him so good.

I would have no issue with drafting him with a late round pick and using him right away as a Wildcat QB. Once on the roster, we could take our time and see if he can develop an NFL arm. But in the late rounds, and when we already have a future QB prospect.

yordad
12-22-2009, 07:01 AM
It is his ability to make things happen, his ability to make plays that win ball games that makes him so good.How about a RB who can pass? Like RB, but as a true QB. QBs don't usually call a run between the tackles (except for on 3rd/4th and half a yard).

THATHURMANATOR
12-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Daunte was a running QB before the knee injury.

Hemlepp53
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Tebow is a guy who I think will make it in the NFL with the proper chances and staff (trainers, coaching staff) aroudn him. He is a leader who as stated above can will himself and the team he is on to greatness. Is he a week one starter... who knows.. if the Jags get him I think he will start but I dotn think it would be in the best interest of his career.

Mahdi
12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
If it works I wouldn't care. And it would be fun to watch. BIG IF.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
The way Tebow played at Florida will not work in the NFL, but that shouldn't rule him out as being a good 2nd round prospect. The major knock on Tebow, in my opinion is that he is not an NFL ready QB. He likely needs to ride the bench for a year, but I suppose if he were forced to start from day 1, he could have limited success in an offense tailor fitted for his strengths, alas, Vince Young in his rookie year. He would be a good 2nd round pick, his ceiling is probably the highest of any QB in the class but his mechanics, pocket presence, touch on certain passes and compatibility are still a question mark.

ParanoidAndroid
12-22-2009, 01:20 PM
How about a RB who can pass? Like RB, but as a true QB. QBs don't usually call a run between the tackles (except for on 3rd/4th and half a yard).

He's not a running back, either. Maybe a FB/HB.

yordad
12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
He's not a running back, either. Maybe a FB/HB.The label is irrelevant. Call it QB/FB/RB if you want.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 03:30 PM
He will be a quarterback and could possibly be a steal too.

Ebenezer
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
lol. that's all the wildcat is. a double option 1-read offense, run out of shotgun rather then under center.

To call the wildcat a "revolution" is a joke. It's just fancy looking version of a 1950s option offense. Tebow is basically an option QB, like Bobby Layne (only not half the passer Layne was). There is nothing "revolutionary" about that.
The wildcat looks like a take off of the wing-T that we used to use when I was playing 4-back (slot receiver) in the 85 pound league.

tampabay25690
12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Lets face it a team will draft TIM and it will be in the 1st round.
Probably JAX to be honest and I think we all know that...
I have no idea what he will do in the NFL and not 1 person here does either.
Everyone can say his style of QB is different, YES you are correct.
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens and what team he goes to.
I won't be surprised if he goes earlier then JAX....He will impress at the combine MARK my WORDS....

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Lets face it a team will draft TIM and it will be in the 1st round.
Probably JAX to be honest and I think we all know that...
I have no idea what he will do in the NFL and not 1 person here does either.
Everyone can say his style of QB is different, YES you are correct.
I guess we will have to wait and see what happens and what team he goes to.
I won't be surprised if he goes earlier then JAX....He will impress at the combine MARK my WORDS....

A team could draft Tebow in the 1st, but I think that in the 2nd would be fantastic value for the guy. Look at the pros for him, this is what I like:

pros:

- Pretty diesel frame, 6'3 245lbs can take hits and has the height to see over linemen.

- His arm strength is pretty good, his accuracy is good enough on most routes.

- An absolute nightmare to stop in short yardage situations, in this way he will force many DCs to pull their hair out.

- Obviously has great qualities as a leader and as a role model to youngsters along with other guys in the locker room. I would be surprised to see him get in serious trouble with the law or the NFL.

- He has his favorite receivers at Florida, but he did a pretty solid job at getting all of his guys involved, he spreads the ball around without prejudice most of the time.

cons:

- Pocket presence. I'm not sure if he can sit back in the pocket and deliver the ball, this aspect of his game is what I question the most, a team may have to be patient with him and break in the proverbial stallion, very similar to how Fisher did it with VY.

- He needs to add more zip onto his short, intermediate and touch passes. People knock his arm strength, but I don't think it's his arm strength, it's anticipating throws is what needs the most work. Tebow doesn't strike me as the kind of QB who reads a defense and delivers the ball to his receiver before he gets open and makes his break.

- He has been surrounded by elite skill players that may have padded his stats. Louis Murphy and Percy "No Mercy" Harvin are TEARING up the NFL. Hernandez and Cooper are also two guys I'd love to have on my team in the future, Florida probably has the best skill players in the country.

- Spread offense. This is one of my knocks on Bradford too, I'd prefer spending a high pick on a QB who played at least some of his snaps under center and who actually ran some variations of an NFL offense.

Conclusion: Tebow is a fierce competitor and a quality leader, he has pretty good arm strength, but he won't be successful in a pass happy offense. My guess is that Tebow could be a very solid QB in say the West Coast Offense where he can dump the ball off to his skill guys to make plays.

tampabay25690
12-23-2009, 12:37 PM
A team could draft Tebow in the 1st, but I think that in the 2nd would be fantastic value for the guy. Look at the pros for him, this is what I like:

pros:

- Pretty diesel frame, 6'3 245lbs can take hits and has the height to see over linemen.

- His arm strength is pretty good, his accuracy is good enough on most routes.

- An absolute nightmare to stop in short yardage situations, in this way he will force many DCs to pull their hair out.

- Obviously has great qualities as a leader and as a role model to youngsters along with other guys in the locker room. I would be surprised to see him get in serious trouble with the law or the NFL.

- He has his favorite receivers at Florida, but he did a pretty solid job at getting all of his guys involved, he spreads the ball around without prejudice most of the time.

cons:

- Pocket presence. I'm not sure if he can sit back in the pocket and deliver the ball, this aspect of his game is what I question the most, a team may have to be patient with him and break in the proverbial stallion, very similar to how Fisher did it with VY.

- He needs to add more zip onto his short, intermediate and touch passes. People knock his arm strength, but I don't think it's his arm strength, it's anticipating throws is what needs the most work. Tebow doesn't strike me as the kind of QB who reads a defense and delivers the ball to his receiver before he gets open and makes his break.

- He has been surrounded by elite skill players that may have padded his stats. Louis Murphy and Percy "No Mercy" Harvin are TEARING up the NFL. Hernandez and Cooper are also two guys I'd love to have on my team in the future, Florida probably has the best skill players in the country.

- Spread offense. This is one of my knocks on Bradford too, I'd prefer spending a high pick on a QB who played at least some of his snaps under center and who actually ran some variations of an NFL offense.

Conclusion: Tebow is a fierce competitor and a quality leader, he has pretty good arm strength, but he won't be successful in a pass happy offense. My guess is that Tebow could be a very solid QB in say the West Coast Offense where he can dump the ball off to his skill guys to make plays.

Thanks for your insight on Tim Tebow

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your insight on Tim Tebow

Thanks if you weren't being sarcastic, but if you were being sarcastic then thanks sarcastically! :P

Jaybird
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM

A. Hand ball off.

B. Fake the handoff and

1). run.
2). Pass
3). Option it.

He would last 6 games in the NFL doing all that nonsense

Ingtar33
12-23-2009, 02:19 PM

just saying this pretty much invalidates everything else you have to say.

To compare Bradford's offense to Tebow's proves

either
1) you don't watch college football
or
2) you don't know the difference between basic offensive systems.

Tebow basically runs a spread version of the wing T option offense. Bradford runs a pro-style offense not much different then what New Orleans runs. Bradford actually takes snaps under center in the I formation (for example).

to speak of their offenses in the same breath shows a surprising lack of knowledge..

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2009, 02:26 PM
just saying this pretty much invalidates everything else you have to say.

To compare Bradford's offense to Tebow's proves

either
1) you don't watch college football
or
2) you don't know the difference between basic offensive systems.

Tebow basically runs a spread version of the wing T option offense. Bradford runs a pro-style offense not much different then what New Orleans runs. Bradford actually takes snaps under center in the I formation (for example).

to speak of their offenses in the same breath shows a surprising lack of knowledge..

I never said they're the same offense, I said they're both spread offenses. To say that Bradford runs a "Pro-offense" is what's ignorant, Bradford runs the spread although yes, he did occasionally take snaps from under center. Plus, the offense Drew Brees is running in New Orleans is pretty much a spread offense, but one of the few in the NFL and that offense was tailor made to suit him as a player.

Either

1.) You're misconstruing what I said.

2.) You're being a total dunce for no reason.

Maybe, both? IDK, this is the first time I've had a problem with you, but hey whatever.

Ingtar33
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
lord.

I'm not misconstruing what you're saying. You said that they both make you nervous because they play a spread.

I'm saying the formation is about the only thing they have in common, and to treat them the same is absurd. One runs a 1 read option offense, he only has to watch what the DE does to chose what he is doing (run, pass or hand-off). The other reads the field, and throws the ball accordingly.

One doesn't make you ready to play in the nfl. the other does.

PECKERWOOD
12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
lord.

I'm not misconstruing what you're saying. You said that they both make you nervous because they play a spread.

I'm saying the formation is about the only thing they have in common, and to treat them the same is absurd. One runs a 1 read option offense, he only has to watch what the DE does to chose what he is doing (run, pass or hand-off). The other reads the field, and throws the ball accordingly.

One doesn't make you ready to play in the nfl. the other does.

I'm not denying that Oklahoma doesn't run variations of pro style offenses, but for the most part I noticed that Bradford takes his snaps from the shotgun, which is the only similarity to what Tebow does at Florida. OBVIOUSLY Bradford is in a passing style of spread offense and Tebow is in more of a running back/QB option type of spread offense, they're different offenses but BOTH can be classified as SPREAD offenses. Not all spread offenses use a running QB.

tampabay25690
12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks if you weren't being sarcastic, but if you were being sarcastic then thanks sarcastically! :P

yes I was sarcastic.....But Thanks for letting others know that have no clue about his pros and cons..

yordad
12-23-2009, 05:04 PM
He would last 6 games in the NFL doing all that nonsenseSome RBs get 30 carries a game. I'm talking 12ish.

Beastie Bills
12-24-2009, 07:29 AM
The problem with this is that if a team invests millions of dollars in a Quarterback, they won't want to subject him to getting hit, which he would if he were in a RB-type role. What happens if he gets hurt? Do you have a backup QB of similar style? Vick maybe. Or would you have a traditional QB backing him up, and then completely change your offense to better suit them. The problem is that there aren't many QB's who could run this new offense (maybe Vick and Pat White), so you'd have to get one/both of them.

It is in interesting idea, but I can't see anybody taking the chance.

chernobylwraiths
12-28-2009, 11:27 AM
why are Ebenezer's posts being edited by X-era?

You guys will make almost anybody a mod.