If Brohm Starts, what are you looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeslice5484
    • Jul 2008

If Brohm Starts, what are you looking for?

As much as I want Brohm to start, I feel that we have to control our expectations for the guy. I know our expectations are low for this team to begin with, but we cannot expect a superstar on Sunday. We cannot expect him to come out and light it up. I do not think it is fair to make this a 2 game audition to determine his future.

What I think we should look for in 2 games:

1. Is he a leader? (we know Trent was not)
    2. Can he make a play when the called play is not there or there is a breakdown. (call it the "Favreness" if you want, but can he make something out of nothing. Every team has to deal with a pass rush, and other QBs make plays, can he?)
    3. Arm strength

There will be times when he is not accurate, plays may be called wrong or not go as planned. He will take sacks I am sure and will probably throw an INT. We cannot call for him to be benched or call him garbage, this is practice for him and we have to support him. We have to stop running QBs out of town because of the ineptitude of our coaching staff. He will have to learn an entirely new offense next season, lets support him and get him ready for the changes. If he turns out to be a starter, great. If not, then we just add him to the long list of experiments gone wrong.

• THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: If Brohm Starts, what are you looking for?

I want him to show confidence in his abilities. I would like to see him take a couple shots downfield. I would like to see leadership as well.

Comment

• homeslice5484
      • Jul 2008

I just hope this board does not erupt on Monday with calls for his release if he struggles. The guy has been here for a month and because out staff sucks, they only let him run scout team, as if we had a chance of the playoffs. He is going to need time, and thats what this offseason is for.

If they are smart (which this staff is not) they would give him some rollout and quick pass plays, see the handful of plays he is good at, and go from there. Just like Pitt did with that 3rd stringer a few weeks back.

Comment

• Patti120
        • Aug 2004

Just looking for him to survive with this swiss cheese oline blocking for him.

Comment

• homeslice5484
          • Jul 2008

Many other teams QBs make plays against a pass rush with a crappy line, why can't ours? They dont have "IT"

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
            • Mar 2004

Signs of life. I thought Trent had "it" when he came in vs New England a few years back, and then showed very good progress the next season. Now, it's back to square one.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by homeslice5484
              As much as I want Brohm to start, I feel that we have to control our expectations for the guy. I know our expectations are low for this team to begin with, but we cannot expect a superstar on Sunday. We cannot expect him to come out and light it up. I do not think it is fair to make this a 2 game audition to determine his future.

What I think we should look for in 2 games:

1. Is he a leader? (we know Trent was not)
              2. Can he make a play when the called play is not there or there is a breakdown. (call it the "Favreness" if you want, but can he make something out of nothing. Every team has to deal with a pass rush, and other QBs make plays, can he?)
              3. Arm strength

There will be times when he is not accurate, plays may be called wrong or not go as planned. He will take sacks I am sure and will probably throw an INT. We cannot call for him to be benched or call him garbage, this is practice for him and we have to support him. We have to stop running QBs out of town because of the ineptitude of our coaching staff. He will have to learn an entirely new offense next season, lets support him and get him ready for the changes. If he turns out to be a starter, great. If not, then we just add him to the long list of experiments gone wrong.
              Good question. I like your first three.

4. Command huddle. Kind of correlates with being a leader, but I also would like to see them hustle to the line, and not get a bunch of delays or bad timeouts.
              5. Throw an accurate pass over the middle. I haven't seen a whole lot of those this decade.
              6. Show some touch on a short pass or two.
              7. Take a shot or two deep. But lets not get crazy here, our line still sucks. Bad.
              8. Mobility inside the pocket. That little Manning/Brees side step.
              9. Manage the game. He has never started, his O-line is the worst in football, and apparently he hasn't even practiced with the Bills offense until yesterday. I don't think the Bills will allow him to take many chances, and they shouldn't.

The objectives should be: Gain experience. Develop chemistry. Build trust. Give next years coaches film on him throwing all kinds of different passes.
              Last edited by yordad; 12-22-2009, 08:39 AM.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

i just want to see if he can move the ball and make plays with the offense. putting up a couple of TD's would be nice too. it's something that neither Fitz or Edwards can do.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I'd like a QB that can make the intermediate square in and out pattern throws routinely and accurately. I've seen Losman, who could throw bombs better than anyone, but couldn't do anything else, and I've seen Trent who can make the 8 yard pass, and SOMETIMES the intermediate passes, but neither were very good at 3rd and Long situations. This team needs a QB like Eli Manning. A QB who, when it's 3rd and 10, you are confident that he'll get you a first down with an accurate, good throw. We haven't seen that as Bills fans in I don't know how long.

Comment

• Ground Chuck
                    • Jul 2009

What am I looking for? Something else to do sunday afternoon. I'd rather have seen Hamdan get a shot instead of a Packer practice squad guy

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

I'd also, strangely enough, like to take a look at his body language. Does he do some fist pumping? Does he yell some "Yeah baby"? Does he throw a block? Does he show competitive fire? Does he stand tall?

Or does he look scared as hell?

Also, I am interested in his post game interview.
                      Last edited by yordad; 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

I actually liked Brohm coming out of college. Who knows, maybe he'll be the next Hasselbeck or Favre. I highly doubt it, but I'm at least willing to give him a shot. It can't get any worse. Can it?

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Arm strength..pocket presence..touch...decision making.

He's probably stuck with a bad playbook, at present. So let's be realistic in our observations.

There's only so much he can do right now, with zero experience here and a regime that is leaving in 2 weeks.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• homeslice5484
                            • Jul 2008

I just think we have to look at little things right now....cannot determine his future in 2 games with this inept staff.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by homeslice5484
                              Many other teams QBs make plays against a pass rush with a crappy line, why can't ours? They dont have "IT"
                              We don't throw many quick slants. I've always wondered why we avoid that since that is one of the best routes to beat the rush. Trent seemed to be unaccurate with the moving target. Fitz does it a little better but his accuracy and arm strength are questionable.

Would like to see Brohm hit the quick slant and have one of our WR's breaking it for a large gain.

Comment

Working...
                              X