PDA

View Full Version : Maybin's reply when asked if he planned to put on weight.....

yordad
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
OK, I don't know if this was posted, but I haven't seen it until now. And I thought it might make a good conversation. But, Mabin was asked if he planned to put on weight......

Bills | Maybin could add weight during offseason
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:19:05 -0800
Dan Bates, of BuffaloBills.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/124), reports Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) DE Aaron Maybin (http://www.kffl.com/player/20737/nfl) said he may add some weight during the offseason if he feels comfortable with the additional weight. "As long as I feel good, that's what I go by. We'll see how this offseason goes and decide then. Talk to the coaching staff and see what they feel comfortable with and what I'm comfortable with," Maybin said.
link (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/Bills%20%7C%20Maybin%20could%20add%20weight%20during%20offseason%20Thu,%2010%20Dec%202009%2009:19:05%20-0800%20%20Dan%20Bates,%20of%20BuffaloBills.com,%20reports%20Buffalo%20Bills%20DE%20Aaron%20Maybin%20said%20he%20may%20add%20some%20weight%20during%20the%20offseason%20if%20he%20feels%20comfortable%20with%20the%20additional%20weight.%20%22As%20long%20as%20I%20feel%20good,%20that%27s%20what%20I%20go%20by.%20We%27ll%20see%20how%20this%20offseason%20goes%20and%20decide%20then.%20Talk%20to%20the%20coaching%20staff%20and%20see%20what%20they%20feel%20comfortable%20with%20and%20what%20I%27m%20comfortabl e%20with,%22%20Maybin%20said.)

Does it sound good?

Does it seem like the answer to that should be obvious?

How much do you think he will put on if any?

And how much do you think he should put on?

Do you think he should concentrate on developing the build for a run 4-3 LBer? Or typical 4-3 DE? Or just start building solid mass as much as he can?

Can he be a LDE? RDE?

Additional thoughts?

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 07:03 PM
He should just keep his current weight, we should sign Hampton and move Maybin to rush linebacker in the 3-4, exactly where he belongs.

Prov401
12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
He should put on another 10-15 lbs, and we should switch him to LB in a 3-4 like stated above. If we decide to go with the 4-3 next year, then he's going to need to add about 20lbs.

FlyingDutchman
12-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Hes still damn young. He'll fill out into a bigger build whether he means to or not

YardRat
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
If he doesn't 'feel comfortable' with putting on weight than he should be moved to LB.

If he doesn't 'feel comfortable' with moving to LB than he should have his ass shipped out to make room on the roster for a real DE.

lmcshadow
12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Hes still damn young. He'll fill out into a bigger build whether he means to or not
Yeah!!........ what he said

BertSquirtgum
12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
He should just keep his current weight, we should sign Hampton and move Maybin to rush linebacker in the 3-4, exactly where he belongs.

yupp

k-oneputt
12-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing, just like the front office/coaches who are supposed to be advising him.

streetkings01
12-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Dude is 21 going on 22 years old how much more growing is this guy gonna do? Where he's at now is pretty much where he can expect to be his whole entire life.......the only way he's going to get bigger is by eating and lifting or just eating......he's not going to just naturally get bigger.......puberty ended for him awhile ago guys!smh

streetkings01
12-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Can anyone name me an NFL player that came into the NFL as a rookie and then somehow grew 2-3 inches and gained 15-20lbs naturally? I've heard high schoolers going into college doing that, but never heard of a grown man coming from college going into the NFL doing it!

Mahdi
12-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Dude is 21 going on 22 years old how much more growing is this guy gonna do? Where he's at now is pretty much where he can expect to be his whole entire life.......the only way he's going to get bigger is by eating and lifting or just eating......he's not going to just naturally get bigger.......puberty ended for him awhile ago guys!smh
Growing and filling out are two different things. Once you finish growth around 21 yrs old you start filling out your body frame. Its not a rule but for a guy that is 6'4 235ish he should start getting thicker naturally in the next couple of years.

He does however need to force it a bit because he will need the weight going into next year if he is going to be a contributor or a starter.

psubills62
12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
He'll never be an LDE, and I'm not sure what they were thinking in touting him as the future there. I think he's improved against the run, just from the brief spot work I've seen from him lately, but the LDE has to be stout against the run. Unless he REALLY fills out, he probably won't ever be great against the run.

I absolutely don't understand Bills fans sometimes. Basically every player drafted has to be a Matt Ryan/Jairus Byrd/Desean Jackson by coming in right away and making a huge impact. Never mind that there are guys like Tamba Hali who looked like a bust last year as an RDE, but is coming on fierce as an OLB (btw, that's another PSU DE).

For some reason, people just don't want to admit that he was, and has always been this year, a PROJECT. I know, no one wants him to be. But it's the truth. His potential alone gives him another 2 years at least.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Sounds like he is waiting to see what the coaching staff wants from him. Which is a good thing. He wants advisement.

Maybe he isn't sure if the new regime will want him at OLB.

THATHURMANATOR
12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
He'll never be an LDE, and I'm not sure what they were thinking in touting him as the future there. I think he's improved against the run, just from the brief spot work I've seen from him lately, but the LDE has to be stout against the run. Unless he REALLY fills out, he probably won't ever be great against the run.

I absolutely don't understand Bills fans sometimes. Basically every player drafted has to be a Matt Ryan/Jairus Byrd/Desean Jackson by coming in right away and making a huge impact. Never mind that there are guys like Tamba Hali who looked like a bust last year as an RDE, but is coming on fierce as an OLB (btw, that's another PSU DE).

For some reason, people just don't want to admit that he was, and has always been this year, a PROJECT. I know, no one wants him to be. But it's the truth. His potential alone gives him another 2 years at least.
I am on board with you big time. He got 5 snaps a game at most. What was he supposed to do with that.

Mahdi
12-23-2009, 09:59 AM

Tell Robert Mathis that. He's 6'2 245 and is a PB LDE. If we continue in a cover 2 next year or even a regular 4-3 he can be a LDE as long as he works on his technique.

Maybin has other things going for him like explosiveness and very long arms. Those can be used just as effectively as weight.

OpIv37
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Tell Robert Mathis that. He's 6'2 245 and is a PB RDE. If we continue in a cover 2 next year or even a regular 4-3 he can be a RDE as long as he works on his technique.

Maybin has other things going for him like explosiveness and very long arms. Those can be used just as effectively as weight.

Explosiveness? If you mean he explodes right into a pancake block, then yes, he has explosiveness.

Mahdi
12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Explosiveness? If you mean he explodes right into a pancake block, then yes, he has explosiveness.

There's a difference between not having explosiveness and not knowing how to use it.

yordad
12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Tell Robert Mathis that. He's 6'2 245 and is a PB RDE. If we continue in a cover 2 next year or even a regular 4-3 he can be a RDE as long as he works on his technique.

Maybin has other things going for him like explosiveness and very long arms. Those can be used just as effectively as weight.OK but he said LDE.

Mahdi
12-23-2009, 10:08 AM
OK but he said LDE.
I meant LDE. Mathis plays the left side.

streetkings01
12-23-2009, 10:12 AM

For some reason, people just don't want to admit that he was, and has always been this year, a PROJECT. I know, no one wants him to be. But it's the truth. His potential alone gives him another 2 years at least.Tamba Hali earned a pass for having a difficult 2008 season.......he had 121 tackles and 15.5 sacks his 1st 2 years in the NFL.

yordad
12-23-2009, 10:15 AM
The biggest problem is we didn't have to draft a "project". Orakpo is on pace for 63 sacks over the length of his rookie contract, and he too has room for improvement.