PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Bills QBs of the 2000s.

Ebenezer
12-22-2009, 06:43 PM
The worst decade in Buffalo Bills football history is ending. In that time the following QBs have played at least one game for the Bills (include any others in case I missed one). 10 names....rank them #1 through #10. (listed in historical order; not my rankings)

Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Alex Van Pelt
Drew Bledsoe
Travis Brown
Shane Matthews
Kelly Holcomb
JP Losman
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
1.) Drew Bledsoe
2.) Doug Flutie
3.) JP Losman
4.) Trent Edwards
5.) Alex Van Pelt
6.) Kelly Holcomb
7.) Ryan Fitzpatrick
8.) Rob Johnson
9.) Travis Brown (WHO?)
10.) Shane Matthews (WHO?)

Prov401
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
The worst decade in Buffalo Bills football history is ending. In that time the following QBs have played at least one game for the Bills (include any others in case I missed one). 10 names....rank them #1 through #10. (listed in historical order; not my rankings)

Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Alex Van Pelt
Drew Bledsoe
Travis Brown
Shane Matthews
Kelly Holcomb
JP Losman
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

1a. Doug Flutie
1a. Drew Bledsoe
3. Trent Edwards
4. J.P Losman
5. Kelly Holcomb
6. AVP
7. Fitz
8. Rob Johnson
9. Travis Brown
10. Shane Matthews

Philagape
12-22-2009, 07:18 PM
1. Bledsoe
2. .... if he's No. 1, this list is too depressing

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Doug Flutie threw for 47 TDs and 30 INTs in a Bills uni while Bledsoe threw for 55 TDs and 43 INTs, but Flutie was on a way more talented Bills team.

Ebenezer
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Doug Flutie threw for 47 TDs and 30 INTs in a Bills uni while Bledsoe threw for 55 TDs and 43 INTs, but Flutie was on a way more talented Bills team.
but most of that was not in 2000.

PECKERWOOD
12-22-2009, 07:38 PM
but most of that was not in 2000.

That's also true.

BillsFanCupp38
12-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Doug Flutie
Drew Bledsoe
Rob Johnson
Trent Edwards
Alex Van Pelt
JP Losman
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Kelly Holcomb
Travis Brown
Shane Matthews

elltrain22
12-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Alex Van Pelt
Drew Bledsoe
Travis Brown
Shane Matthews
Kelly Holcomb
JP Losman
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

1. Doug Flutie- only guy that led us to the playoffs
2. Drew Bledsoe- almost got us to the playoffs, too bad we got him way past his prime
3. Kelly Holcomb- pretty crappy, but nothin else to pick
4. AVP- same as Holcomb
5. JP Losman- pretty bad that he's number 5
6. Trent Edwards- same as Losman
7. Ryan Fitzie- man, he sucks
8. Shane Matthews- when he qb'd w/ us, he wasn't even good enough to qb in college, let alone the NFL
9. Travis Brown- LOL, totally forgot about this scrub
10. Rob Johnson- My least favorite Bill of all time. This guy could get hurt taking a dump, and all he could was get sacked. Seems like ever since we traded for him, our franchise has been cursed...

YardRat
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
1. Doug Flutie
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Kelly Holcomb
4. Alex Van Pelt
5. Trent Edwards
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. JP Losman
8. Rob Johnson
9. Shane Matthews
10. Travis Brown

Tough call between Flutie and Bledsoe, and the only reason I went with Flutie is because IMO if he starts against Tennessee instead of Johnson we win and the MC Miracle never gets to happen.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Bledsoe
Johnson
Flutie
Holcomb

I give up, this is way too hard. Everyone else could be 10 and no one deserves to be 5.

Ebenezer
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
1. Doug Flutie
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Kelly Holcomb
4. Alex Van Pelt
5. Trent Edwards
6. Ryan Fitzpatrick
7. JP Losman
8. Rob Johnson
9. Shane Matthews
10. Travis Brown

Tough call between Flutie and Bledsoe, and the only reason I went with Flutie is because IMO if he starts against Tennessee instead of Johnson we win and the MC Miracle never gets to happen.
that was the 1999 season...and not to rehash but RJ left the game with the lead.

EDS
12-22-2009, 08:56 PM
1. Bledsoe
2. Flutie
3. Johnson
4. Edwards
5. Holcomb
6. Losman
7. Van Pelt
8. Fitzpatrick
9. Matthews
10. Brown

Prov401
12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
that was the 1999 season...and not to rehash but RJ left the game with the lead.

I was so pissed that they benched Flutie. He did all the dirty work the whole season, and Johnson gets to start a playoff game. However your right, Johnson put us in position to make the game winning field goal, and we did...Until, well...you know.

We had a serious shot at the Superbowl that year, if Flutie started throughout the rest of the playoffs, IMO.

YardRat
12-23-2009, 05:38 AM

I know he left the game with the lead...thus my comment.

The game was played January 8, 2000, so based on the thread title and body of the op it fits within the parameters.

Don't Panic
12-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Those first 8 games of Bledsoe's first season... if our decade could have looked ANYthing remotely close to that... just think of what might have been.

Night Train
12-23-2009, 07:09 AM
That list is depressing as all hell. :down:

Flutie played his best during the 2nd half of 1998 and went downhill after that.

Bledsoe played great for the first 7 games of 2002 and then just fell through the floor.

The rest I'd rather forget.

OpIv37
12-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Doug Flutie
Rob Johnson
Alex Van Pelt
Drew Bledsoe
Travis Brown
Shane Matthews
Kelly Holcomb
JP Losman
Trent Edwards
Ryan Fitzpatrick

wow- awful

1) Bledsoe
2) Flutie
3)Van Pelt
4) Holcomb
5)Matthews
6) Brown
7) JP
8) Edwards
9) Fitzy
10) RJ

I honestly have no recollection of Brown whatsoever, so I just stuck him in the middle.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2009, 07:34 AM
1) Flutie
2) Bledsoe
3) The Rest. All Crap.

ServoBillieves
12-23-2009, 07:53 AM
ShanematthewsforMVP

MikeInRoch
12-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I was so pissed that they benched Flutie. He did all the dirty work the whole season, and Johnson gets to start a playoff game. However your right, Johnson put us in position to make the game winning field goal, and we did...Until, well...you know.

We had a serious shot at the Superbowl that year, if Flutie started throughout the rest of the playoffs, IMO.

I truly do not understand the love affair with Flutie. The defense was the main factor in winning all those games - not the mediocre QB play. We had ZERO shot of winning the Super Bowl with Flutie at the helm.

OpIv37
12-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I truly do not understand the love affair with Flutie. The defense was the main factor in winning all those games - not the mediocre QB play. We had ZERO shot of winning the Super Bowl with Flutie at the helm.

I agree- we had zero shot at winning the SB. And I hated the fact that we had to run every play from shotgun due to his short stature.

But first of all, the guy was definitely fun to watch. And second, look at the rest of the list. It's not like he has any real competition.

baalworship
12-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I bet Flutie could beat out Trentative and Harvard even now.

Thurmal
12-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Thank. You.

Everyone forgets that we had the best defense in the NFL during the '98-'99 that won games while the Little Field General turned the ball over in the redzone and got every third pass batted down.

Rob Johnson basically won the Titans game (which Flutie would've been blown out in, by the way). Then he was rewarded with one of the crappiest Bills rosters I have ever seen after Butler put us in cap hell. Do you remember that O-line? Or the starting running back being Shawn Bryson?

Claussen in 2010
12-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Drew Bledsoe- Most sucess of any Bills QB of this decade and that's real sad to say considereing after the 1st half of his 1st season in Buffalo he was average to below average

J.P. Losman- Posted the best single season stats outside of Bledsoe in 06 with over 3000 yards and 20 td's

Rob Johnson- played well for stretches but injuries and a divided locker room really hurt his chances of being a quality full time starter

Trent Edwards- Showed flashes, but once teams figured him out his play dropped drastically. The concusion also lead to his downfall.

Ryan Fitzpatrick- Much like Edwards but over a lesser period of time.

Doug Flutie- Not much to judge as he was let go after the 2000 season.

Alex Van Pelt- carrier backup but played enough games

Kelly Holcomb- Horribal QB

Travis Brown- 1 start

Shane Matthews-I don't even remember him in Buffalo as I'm writing this.

Prov401
12-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Drew Bledsoe- Most sucess of any Bills QB of this decade and that's real sad to say considereing after the 1st half of his 1st season in Buffalo he was average to below average

J.P. Losman- Posted the best single season stats outside of Bledsoe in 06 with over 3000 yards and 20 td's

Rob Johnson- played well for stretches but injuries and a divided locker room really hurt his chances of being a quality full time starter

Trent Edwards- Showed flashes, but once teams figured him out his play dropped drastically. The concusion also lead to his downfall.

Ryan Fitzpatrick- Much like Edwards but over a lesser period of time.

Doug Flutie- Not much to judge as he was let go after the 2000 season.

Alex Van Pelt- carrier backup but played enough games

Kelly Holcomb- Horribal QB

Travis Brown- 1 start

Shane Matthews-I don't even remember him in Buffalo as I'm writing this.

How is Flutie not much to judge? The guy led us to 2 playoff births in 3 seasons. The only QB to lead us to the playoffs in this putrid decade.

Ingtar33
12-23-2009, 01:07 PM
1) Drew Bledsoe - not even close
2) Doug Flutie - bad year in 2000, still a better QB then everyone else on the list

3) Alex Van Pelt - only started part of a season, and still better then the rest of the list
4) JP Losman - one good year against a series of terrible defenses, does not excuse the rest
5) Trent Edwards - good in streaks, then he got smacked by AZ
6) Kelly Holcomb - not even good enough to hold starting job over JP
7) Rob Johnson - couldn't keep starting job from AVP
8) Ryan Fitzpatrick - one of the worst QBs to ever suit up for the bills
9) Travis Brown - so bad i don't really remember him
10) Shane Matthews - ditto

*note: everyone after number 2 was so bad that to rank them seems sorta pointless, but if i had to rank them, that's how it would be.

Claussen in 2010
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
How is Flutie not much to judge? The guy led us to 2 playoff births in 2 seasons. The only QB to lead us to the playoffs in this putrid decade.

That all happened in the 90's. The thread is for our QB's in the 2000's.

Prov401
12-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Let's see...We were WELL on our way to 0-4 to start the 1998 season, and Doug Flutie goes 10-3 that year to get us into the playoffs. Had Andre Reed not thrown a temper tantrum (rightfully so), and got a crazy penalty near the end of the Miami playoff game, Flutie had us going into the 2nd round. Oh, and it's not only me who had the love affair with Flutie, because NFL fans voted him into the pro bowl for the '98' season. You know, the all-star game.

Flutie then gets us into the playoffs in '99', then gets screwed over by our s***** owner who demands Wade Phillips play Rob Johnson. Granted Johnson put us in position to win against the Titans, however, he didn't earn Flutie's playoff game.

He got us to the playoffs twice. Maybe you forget what the playoffs are like because it's been so long but,...it's a fun feeling, and Flutie was the last to lead the Buffalo Bills franchise into the post-season. Is he the greatest QB of all time? Not even close. You can't argue the facts, and to what he did here in 3 years.

Ebenezer
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
OK, finally got mine ranked:

1) Drew Bledsoe - a statue behind a terrible OL who still had decent success and was one bad half by the defense away from leading the team to the only sniff of the playoffs they got this decade. Deserved better fate than having fans and FO stab him in the back.
2) Alex Van Pelt - believe it or not he was probably the only bright light on the rest of the list
3) Doug Flutie - people are too overwhelmed what he did for the team in '98 and '99 and forget that he struggled badly 2000, especially at the end of the year.
4) JP Losman - A statue behind a terrible OL that never got a chance because of poor coaching and expectations that were too high because TD panicked after not getting Rothelisberger.
5) Trent Edwards - Way too many expectations on a guy who should have had at least another year or more on the bench to learn.
6) Rob Johnson - Raw talent that was never helped by having a real OC. Poor decision making.
7) Kelly Holcomb - I almost put him higher simply because he was serviceable in a disaster role.
8) Ryan Fitzpatrick - I almost put him lower simply because he was not serviceable in a disaster role.
9) Travis Brown - Give him credit for making an NFL roster
10) Shane Matthews - Thanks for being a "veteran just in case"

Ebenezer
12-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Let's see...We were WELL on our way to 0-4 to start the 1998 season, and Doug Flutie goes 10-3 that year to get us into the playoffs. Had Andre Reed not thrown a temper tantrum (rightfully so), and got a crazy penalty near the end of the Miami playoff game, Flutie had us going into the 2nd round. Oh, and it's not only me who had the love affair with Flutie, because NFL fans voted him into the pro bowl for the '98' season. You know, the all-star game.

Flutie then gets us into the playoffs in '99', then gets screwed over by our s***** owner who demands Wade Phillips play Rob Johnson. Granted Johnson put us in position to win against the Titans, however, he didn't earn Flutie's playoff game.

He got us to the playoffs twice. Maybe you forget what the playoffs are like because it's been so long but,...it's a fun feeling, and Flutie was the last to lead the Buffalo Bills franchis into the post-season. Is he the greatest QB of all time? Not even close. You can't argue the facts, and to what he did here in 2 years.
That is all irrelevant to the 2000-9 topic we are talking about. You can always start a thread about the QBs of the 90s if you want. He'll be a distant 3rd...at best.

Prov401
12-23-2009, 01:19 PM
That all happened in the 90's. The thread is for our QB's in the 2000's.

Fair enough.

Ingtar33
12-23-2009, 01:19 PM

He got us to the playoffs twice. Maybe you forget what the playoffs are like because it's been so long but,...it's a fun feeling, and Flutie was the last to lead the Buffalo Bills franchis into the post-season. Is he the greatest QB of all time? Not even close. You can't argue the facts, and to what he did here in 2 years.

all true. but the questions wasn't about 98-09... it was about 00-09.

in 2000 Flutie had a bad season, sadly it was still better then 8 of the other 10 QBs we've had play this decade.

Beastie Bills
12-23-2009, 01:21 PM

1) Drew Bledsoe - a statue behind a terrible OL who still had decent success and was one bad half by the defense away from leading the team to the only sniff of the playoffs they got this decade. Deserved better fate than having fans and FO stab him in the back.
2) Alex Van Pelt - believe it or not he was probably the only bright light on the rest of the list
3) Doug Flutie - people are too overwhelmed what he did for the team in '98 and '99 and forget that he struggled badly 2000, especially at the end of the year.
4) JP Losman - A statue behind a terrible OL that never got a chance because of poor coaching and expectations that were too high because TD panicked after not getting Rothelisberger.
5) Trent Edwards - Way too many expectations on a guy who should have had at least another year or more on the bench to learn.
6) Rob Johnson - Raw talent that was never helped by having a real OC. Poor decision making.
7) Kelly Holcomb - I almost put him higher simply because he was serviceable in a disaster role.
8) Ryan Fitzpatrick - I almost put him lower simply because he was not serviceable in a disaster role.

Good post. I'd still put Flutie over AVP, but if you look only at 2000 Flutie, it's pretty close.

Prov401
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM

Flutie started 5 games in 2000. Throwing for over 1,700 yards, and 8TD's. Struggled badly? His last game as a Bill he recorded a prefect game against the Seahawks. Not sure what you mean by struggling badly. I'll admit, I've overlooked the whole 'this decade' deal with mentioning Flutie's '98' and '99' seasons, but nobody can deny he was straight up 8-balled here in Buffalo.

mybills
12-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Doug Flutie...the only one to get us to the playoffs, and you need to get there before you can try for a ring, so that trumps any QB stats. (period)

BADTHINGSMAN
12-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Did Hobert start in the 2000's?

Ebenezer
12-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Did Hobert start in the 2000's?
no...he was long gone.

BADTHINGSMAN
12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
no...he was long gone.

Thought so but the decade of QB suckiness made me wonder.

Ebenezer
12-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Doug Flutie...the only one to get us to the playoffs, and you need to get there before you can try for a ring, so that trumps any QB stats. (period)
The Bills went 8-8 that season and did not make the playoffs.

Prov401
12-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The Bills went 8-8 that season and did not make the playoffs.

Flutie started 5 games in 2000. Going 4-1.

1,700 yards passing, 8TD's, 3INT's, and his last game as a Bill posted a perfect QB rating against the Seahawks. Our fault that Wilson had a love affair with Johnson, and demanded Phillips play him?

If Flutie starts 16 games in the 2000 season, he takes us into the playoffs for a 3rd straght year. Rob Johnson went 4-7 that year.

How in the world did Flutie have any...any garbage season in Buffalo?

Ebenezer
12-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Flutie started 5 games in 2000. Throwing for over 1,700 yards, and 8TD's. Struggled badly? His last game as a Bill he recorded a prefect game against the Seahawks. Not sure what you mean by struggling badly. I'll admit, I've overlooked the whole 'this decade' deal with mentioning Flutie's '98' and '99' seasons, but nobody can deny he was straight up 8-balled here in Buffalo.

While he did throw for 1,700 yards he did not do it in five games. Flutie played in 11 games in 2000. He stuggled miserably down the stretch.

November 26 @ Tampa 4-10 for 57 yards
December 3 v Miami 2-9 for 31 yards and an INT
December 11 @ Indi 6-12 82 and a TD
December 18 v NE 15-25 193 and a TD
December 26 @ Seattle 20-25 366 and 3 TD (Seattle ended 6-10)

the team record was 1-4. Granted RJ started the first three of those five games but DF didn't exactly look stellar.

MikeInRoch
12-23-2009, 10:19 PM

No, it doesn't. A handful of the QBs from the list would have made the playoffs with the team he was leading. The QB is not solely responsible for the team's performance.

djjimkelly
12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
How is Flutie not much to judge? The guy led us to 2 playoff births in 3 seasons. The only QB to lead us to the playoffs in this putrid decade.

i dont know what fantasy land you live in but we havent made the playoffs in this decade

mybills
12-24-2009, 07:01 AM
No, it doesn't. A handful of the QBs from the list would have made the playoffs with the team he was leading. The QB is not solely responsible for the team's performance.

When people like a QB just because of their stats, those are the people I will never listen to, and never take seriously. Bledsoe is the perfect example. People hang all over his jock strap because he threw for around 4k yds one season...

BUT

Then what happened? He nose dived just like he did every year. Reminds me of Romo for the past how many Decembers. Who cares how many yards he can throw, if he chokes when it's really important not to? :shakeno:

F Bledsoe! :down:

Ebenezer
12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
When people like a QB just because of their stats, those are the people I will never listen to, and never take seriously. Bledsoe is the perfect example. People hang all over his jock strap because he threw for around 4k yds one season...

BUT

Then what happened? He nose dived just like he did every year. Reminds me of Romo for the past how many Decembers. Who cares how many yards he can throw, if he chokes when it's really important not to? :shakeno:

Check the numbers I posted...Flutie didn't play well in Dec of 2000 either except a game against Seattle where the Seahawks ran for the bus. My original post is true. DF slid badly in the latter half of 2000. For the sake of discussion in this thread he was not that good.

SABURZFAN
12-24-2009, 01:20 PM
i'd rather forget the QB's of the 2000s. :baghead:

Dying_-2-_Live
12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I hope to god our next QB makes it to the top of that list

Prov401
12-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Check the numbers I posted...Flutie didn't play well in Dec of 2000 either except a game against Seattle where the Seahawks ran for the bus. My original post is true. DF slid badly in the latter half of 2000. For the sake of discussion in this thread he was not that good.

Flutie was thrown in on garbage time. No rythm into the game. Fact remains, as a starter...Like he should have been throughout that 2000 season,...He went 4-1. When Johnson started, and went 5-19 and 2picks, we'd throw Flutie into the fire. 2000 season was a mess period.

Prov401
12-24-2009, 03:04 PM

BUT

Belicheck said it best last week at his presser.

"Stats are for losers".

ServoBillieves
12-25-2009, 03:40 PM
What happened to Craig Nall, Gibran Hamdan and our soon to be savior (<_<) Brian Brohm!?

ParanoidAndroid
12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
1. Bledsoe
2. Flutie
3. Johnson
4. Edwards
5. Holcomb
6. Losman
7. Van Pelt
8. Fitzpatrick
9. Matthews
10. Brown

This is my list as well... :yucky:

Bravo82
12-25-2009, 07:34 PM
1. Doug Flutie
2. Drew Bledsoe
3. Rob Johnson
4. J.P Losman
5. Kelly Holcomb
6. Trent
7. AVP
8. Fitzy
9. Shane Matthews
10. Travis Brown

Dr. Lecter
12-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Yet you act as if Brady's Super Bowl rings are meaningless.

mybills
12-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Never said that. :rolleyes: