• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

NHL Points system

Why is it that overtime/SO games are worth 3 points (2 for winner, one for loser) and regulation wins are only worth two points?

OT games essentially create more available points in the standings, which affects playoff position, especially for "bubble" teams. If you're 1 point out and the team ahead of you gets a free point by going into OT against some other opponent, you essentially get screwed.

Seems to me that every game should be worth 3 points- Regulation win=3, OT win=2, OT loss=1.

I vaguely remember the NHL having a similar system a few years back, but I may be confusing it with the system they used when there were still ties.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: NHL Points system

Because they did not want to mess up the system and make it harder to compare points across history...personally, just get rid of the OT. OT/SO wins artificially inflate point totals.

If I were a mediocre NHL team I would just try to tie every game and get it to OT. By dumb luck a team should be able to win 20 out of 80 games in OT/SO. That's 100 points and will get you a top four seed.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
      • Mar 2005

you should not get a point regardless of when you lose the game

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
        amen to that.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
          Wow, I think we've turned you into a hockey fan. Great Post, Dan. of course you jumping on the Penguins bandwagon didn't hurt.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

2 points, 3 points, ties- I don't really care, as long as every game is worth the same amount of points. This "two points unless each team is equally mediocre then three points" **** has got to go.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MikeInRoch
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              Because they did not want to mess up the system and make it harder to compare points across history...
              I suppose, but it's still very hard, considering that more total points will be awarded under this system than before.

I'd be on board with "every game produces 3 points", which was mentioned above.
              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I like the current system. OT adds a level of excitement to regular season games that was missing, if a team wins in OT they get rewarded and if they lose they don't get severely penalized by missing out on a point.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

I agree that you shouldn't get a point for losing in overtime, but losing in a shoot out is another story. The shoot out should be removed, and a tie should be granted like it used to be.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

I love the shootout, but it should be taken out of hockey. I think a combination of the 3 point system and getting rid of the shootout would be better.

I also think that every record that has been compiled in the last few years should have an asterisk after it. It takes away some very legitimate records. Winning a game because you have better guys on breakaways is not a real win.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

I agree 100% Chern. Shoot-outs, while fun to watch, have no place in meaningful hockey games.

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

Shootouts were fun when they were first added and I still don't like ties, but I've grown to dislike the shootout more and more. After 65 minutes of hockey, the game is decided by a skills competition.

D & S Sports

Comment

• rbochan
                          Zamboni Driver
                          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                          ...If I were a mediocre NHL team I would just try to tie every game and get it to OT. By dumb luck a team should be able to win 20 out of 80 games in OT/SO. That's 100 points and will get you a top four seed.
                          Hence, the New York Rangers.
                          ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
                          it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

i hate the 1 point for OT, but it serves a purposes. do you remember what it was like when you could come out without a point. it was like a soccer game for the 5 minutes. just a lot of passing in the middle and not a lot of shots.

OT is more like the first 60 minutes with teams chasing after wins. that's good for the sport.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                              I love the shootout, but it should be taken out of hockey. I think a combination of the 3 point system and getting rid of the shootout would be better.

I also think that every record that has been compiled in the last few years should have an asterisk after it. It takes away some very legitimate records. Winning a game because you have better guys on breakaways is not a real win.
                              that is what I kept saying when the Sabres won the Presidents Cup. That team was no where near as good as the 75 team that wracked up 113 points.

Comment

Working...
                              X