PDA

View Full Version : The best part about Brohm

The Juice Is Loose
12-24-2009, 09:02 AM
We didn't waste a 1st round pick in him. Or Millions of Dollars.

Honestly, this guy has just as good a chance to succeed in this league as Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez. I know if he and Sanchez were in the same draft I'd have taken Brohm over Dirty Sanchez.

That's what's great about this guy. We don't have to invest 3 years into him out of obligation. We get to see what he has this week, and I hope we like what we see. It could be the steal of the decade if it works out as it could.

All of a sudden the AFC East could have a whole new look. It goes from Brady, Edwards, Pennington and Favre to Brady, Brohm, Sanchez and Henne.

Henne has done great for Miami. No reason to not think we could get the same thing from the Brohm Bomber!!

Ebenezer
12-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I think we are all cheering for the guy but I think you have been sampling the Christmas cheer just a little too much.

RockStar36
12-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm excited to see him play because it's a low risk high reward scenario. But barring some kind of miracle where he throws for 7 touchdowns in the next 2 games, I'll probably be looking for a new QB in the offseason.

Mahdi
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
The upside is we might have literally stolen a franchise QB for nothing. The downside is 2 games where Bills fans get their hopes up that this kid will be special only to be disappointed yet again and he ends up being QB depth for next year.

The sad part for Brohm is that, fair or not, these two games determine whether or not he will be our QB next year. If he fails miserably the next GM/HC will draft a QB and/or sign one to be the starter, and he will have to wait for another chance.

TigerJ
12-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't say that these two games will determine Brohm's future in the NFL or with the Bills. We don't even know who the coach will be. Whatever happens in these final two games, Brohm will be on the training camp roster and the new coaching staff will do its own evaluation. True, they will probably look at game film, but they aren't going to write him off if he struggles a little, or even a lot.

Mahdi
12-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't say that these two games will determine Brohm's future in the NFL or with the Bills. We don't even know who the coach will be. Whatever happens in these final two games, Brohm will be on the training camp roster and the new coaching staff will do its own evaluation. True, they will probably look at game film, but they aren't going to write him off if he struggles a little, or even a lot.
True. I just mean that he can put himself at the #1 spot for Bills QBs or he can become just another question mark.

What I like about him is that it looks as though he has a strong arm. From the practice video on BB.com he seems to have nice velocity on his throws and great mechanics.

How that translates to live action is yet to be seen of course.

Bill Cody
12-24-2009, 10:27 AM

Honestly, this guy has just as good a chance to succeed in this league as Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez. I know if he and Sanchez were in the same draft I'd have taken Brohm over Dirty Sanchez.

We all hope you're right but there are reasons Brohm was not a top ten pick, a reason he didn't make GB's 45 man roster and a reason he hasn't played until now despite some of the worst QB'ing by Fitzpatrick I've seen in many years.

Brohm has some pluses and he has played in a pro style college offense. Personally I think he will do ok. But he lacks the foot speed and quickness to avoid sacks which sure would come in handy behind our OL. He sure doesn't have anything resembling Matt Stafford's arm, if you think that put down the crack pipe. So let's just hope he does ok, comparing his chances for success with 2 top ten picks just adds to the pressure on him IMO.

Thurmal
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I think the odds of much better that he gets battered beyond all belief behind our historically bad o-line and is permanently shell-shocked a la Trent and JP.

I would love to see him succeed, though, don't get me wrong.

Mahdi
12-24-2009, 10:38 AM
I think the odds of much better that he gets battered beyond all belief behind our historically bad o-line and is permanently shell-shocked a la Trent and JP.

I would love to see him succeed, though, don't get me wrong.
John Abraham will be in the backfield all day so Brohm better be ready to move up in the pocket or scramble to his right to make plays.

If the Bills coaching staff has any sense at all they will focus on a moving pocket and plenty of draws, play actions and screens to keep the pass rush guessing.

PECKERWOOD
12-24-2009, 10:47 AM
He couldn't prove he is our future in a 2 game span, that's asking a bit much. However, I will say that somebody made a post listing previous Green Bay rejects at QB and Hasselback and Brunell were a couple guys they've let go in the past. Still, my honest side, the evaluator inside of me say's that Brohm is not the answer.

RockStar36
12-24-2009, 10:55 AM
We all hope you're right but there are reasons Brohm was not a top ten pick, a reason he didn't make GB's 45 man roster and a reason he hasn't played until now despite some of the worst QB'ing by Fitzpatrick I've seen in many years.

Brohm has some pluses and he has played in a pro style college offense. Personally I think he will do ok. But he lacks the foot speed and quickness to avoid sacks which sure would come in handy behind our OL. He sure doesn't have anything resembling Matt Stafford's arm, if you think that put down the crack pipe. So let's just hope he does ok, comparing his chances for success with 2 top ten picks just adds to the pressure on him IMO.

Brohm was a recent 2nd round pick, one spot of Chad Henne, so it's not like the Bills signed some guy from the Arena league.

The Packers were only going to carry 2 QB's on the active roster, which is smart, so he simply got beat out by Flynn. Why is that? Who knows. I don't follow Green Bay that close so I really couldn't tell you.

justasportsfan
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
It would be awesome if Brohm can do better than Trent did in his rookie season. I was impressed when Trent was thrown to the wolves.

patmoran2006
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

That's what's great about this guy. We don't have to invest 3 years into him out of obligation. We get to see what he has this week, and I hope we like what we see. It could be the steal of the decade if it works out as it could.

All of a sudden the AFC East could have a whole new look. It goes from Brady, Edwards, Pennington and Favre to Brady, Brohm, Sanchez and Henne.

Henne has done great for Miami. No reason to not think we could get the same thing from the Brohm Bomber!!
We didnt waste a first round pick or millions on him because he coudn't beat out Flynn for the BACKUP job in Green Bay.

So I wouldnt say he has as good a chance to suceed as Sanchez or Stafford.. They are locked in starters already, Brohm has done absolutely nothing

RockStar36
12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
We didnt waste a first round pick or millions on him because he coudn't beat out Flynn for the BACKUP job in Green Bay.

So I wouldnt say he has as good a chance to suceed as Sanchez or Stafford.. They are locked in starters already, Brohm has done absolutely nothing

BUT...you haven't seen Brohm play meaningful football in the NFL yet.

Meanwhile, you've seen the Sanchise, and the Jets are screwed.

Albany,n.y.
12-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Here's the worst part about Brian Brohm: If he succeeds as some are imagining, that means that the dream team, including John Guy, have outsmarted every other GM in the NFL. The odds of the Bills playing a home game on the moon & selling it out are better than these guys outsmarting the Polians, Newsomes, Parcells, and Smiths.
Let's just look at Polian in Indy. His 2nd string QB will be a free agent after the season and his other QB is 6th round pick, rookie Curtis Painter. If Polian thought Brohm had the potential some people around here do, don't you think he would have claimed him on waivers and then waived his 6th rounder who probably would have cleared waivers & put Painters on the practice squad? At worst he would have had Brohm as his 2nd stringer next year, with years to learn behind Manning, like Young did with SF. At best Brohm would have been as good as some think & Polian could have claimed him & moved him for a decent draft choice.
Also, if Brohm was any good wouldn't one of the smarter GMs have claimed him? Or, wouldn't GB have been able to recover a pick, any round pick for Brohm? Even Kevin O'Connell who was drafted after Brohm by the Patriots last year got an immediate claim from Detroit & Detroit was able to get a 7th from the Jets for O'Connell.
The actions of the rest of the league, after seeing Brohm's preseason tapes while in GB, does not bode well for Brohm being a success. John Guy and company just aren't outsmarting anyone other than Ralph, who has paid these bums all these years.

The Juice Is Loose
12-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Fact: Brohm had the best college career of any QB we've had since 12.

Fact: Brohm had as good a college career as Rodgers and a better college career than Sanchez or Stafford.

That alone gives me hope. He's been there before. Maybe GB put Flynn there because he was willing to accept a backup role?

Maybe Brohm got picked in the 2nd round because teams weren't going for quarterbacks. If it was 2009 he'd have been picked in the first ahead of Josh Freeman.

If he hadn't lost his head coach his SR season I wouldn't have been shocked to see him picked ahead of Ryan.

Don't Panic
12-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree that it is a very low risk, high reward gamble, especially at this stage of this season. For that reason alone, there is reason to be optimistic. As someone who put it all behind RJ, JP and TE as they rose to the starter spot, I will undoubtedly be doing the same for Brohm.

But this time, whether I'm simply jaded or more realistic due to his path to this point, I understand that expecting anything out of Brohm before the 2011 season would be naive. I hope he looks good enough in his time here this year that he is at least in the mix next year. Even if he is our 3rd stringer but on a path of development, I'll take it. It gives us one less thing to worry about next April.

I will say that he has about as much of a chance at a decent NFL career as JP and TE do at this point. And yes, I know that's not saying much...

DrGraves
12-24-2009, 08:23 PM
cmon man. im excited to see the kid play too but don't get carried away... jeeeeeeeeez

PECKERWOOD
12-24-2009, 11:38 PM
cmon man. im excited to see the kid play too but don't get carried away... jeeeeeeeeez

I'd be surprised if he passes for more than 150 yards on Sunday.