PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: The best part about Brohm

Forward_Lateral
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Here's the real dilemma:

What do the Bills do if Brohm, by some miracle, throws for 500+ yards and 5+ Tds combined over the final 2 games of the season? Do they go off of 2 basically meaningless games, and decide that he's the future?

What do you do? Obviously, if he sucks, it's not really a loss. I know the easy answer is you sign him for next season (if he already isn't) and let him compete for the job next summer. But, who do they (The Bills) bring in to compete with him? Does how he plays over the final 2 games dictate whether or not Buffalo still drafts a QB and/or signs a free agent? Should it dictate it?

I guess what I'm worried about is that Brohm plays very well these final 2 games, and the Bills decide to do nothing in the offseason at QB, and go into next season with Brohm, Fitz and Trent competing for the job.

Beastie Bills
12-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't want them to draft a QB next year regardless of how Brohm does, so I hope he lights it up.

I've said it many times before, but I want us to focus on the O and DLines in the draft, followed by LB. Then, if we still need a QB (and I'm guessing that we will), we draft one in 2011.

OpIv37
12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the best possible QB move for the Bills right now is to go into camp with Brohm and a vet and let them fight it out in camp.

Fix the OL this off-season and worry about QB next season if Brohm doesn't pan out.

BillsWin
12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
If Brohm shows good mechanics, timing, arm strength, leadership and poise while throwing for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns with limited interceptions then the upside is tremendous enough that it allows us to sign a veteran QB such as Garcia or (God forbid) Vick and not worry about drafting a QB high.

Two games is a very limited amount of film to watch on the kid. Especially because his amount of passes will be controlled and limited.

But, there are certain intangibles we can look for.

To be honest I am torn.

On one hand, there is a reason he was on a practice squad. The Bills never get lucky on things like this, and his confidence level in GB appeared shattered.

On the other hand, he was a tremendous talent in college. Deemed "pro ready" by scouts and ranked extremely high. He is only a year removed from being a second round pick. He might have only needed a change of scenery. Who knows?

If he does well over the next two games it will be behind a patchwork offensive line and with awful play calling and coaching. That in itself makes him deserve a second look.

If he does the above I say you sign a vet and build a team around him. ie. OFFENSIVE LINE!!!

If he sucks next season, you can draft a QB very high.

Typ0
12-24-2009, 10:24 AM
his performance is irrelevant and therefore he shouldn't even be playing. QBs are hard to find and acquiring BB helps build the roster going into next season. They should also still have TE and acquire another experienced vet if they can get their hands on one. If they like a guy in the draft they should get him too. It would be nice to have four guys competing for this critical job instead of handing it to someone who hasn't done squat EVER and hanging the season on them. Let them all duke it out may the best man win and keep everybody else that isn't an absolute disgrace.

Commissioner
12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Give me a fricken break.....

I'll play this fantasy game though....

If Brohm by some miracle throws for 500+ yards with the worst offensive line in the league and a basic offensive scheme... then we should give him a 100 million dollar contract right after week 17.

But Brohm won't do crap... he's being stuck in the worst possible position which is what the Bills seeminly always do to young QB's.....

He goes from practice squad to active roster to sqout team to starter in like 4 weeks???? I would give JP Losman a better chance... and I hate JP Losman.

Jan Reimers
12-24-2009, 11:05 AM
You still bring in David Carr - to me, a much better option than Vick, Campbell, Simms, Garcia or any other vet out there imo - to compete.

RockStar36
12-24-2009, 11:06 AM
You still bring in David Carr - to me, a much better option than Vick, Campbell, Simms, Garcia or any other vet out there imo - to compete.

All non-football related stuff put to the side, there is no way you can convince me that David Carr is a better option that Vick. No way.

DraftBoy
12-24-2009, 11:13 AM
If he looks good, you sign a vet (I like Chris Simms) and draft a project late (John Skelton, Thaddeus Lewis) to keep for developmental purposes.

RockStar36
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
If he looks good, you sign a vet (I like Chris Simms) and draft a project late (John Skelton, Thaddeus Lewis) to keep for developmental purposes.

I have nothing against Simms, but I have zero issues with keeping Fitz as the backup. In my eyes, he is the perfect backup.

DraftBoy
12-24-2009, 12:02 PM
I have nothing against Simms, but I have zero issues with keeping Fitz as the backup. In my eyes, he is the perfect backup.

Either way for me. Id take both as they seem ideal.

patmoran2006
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I can assure you of this; the front office and coaching staff isn't thinking for a second about next year. With the exception of Brandon, nobody has a job that is safe for next year, nobody. Everybody will be evaluated, depending on who Wilson brings in as the GM.

So Brohm does not give them the best chance to win Sunday in Fewell's eyes. He will only play if Fitz can't.

I would love to see EVERY young player on this roster start and play the last two games.

If I had my way, hardy and johnson would be starting at WR, and Ellis and Maybin would start at DE.

I'd also play Ellis Lankster ahead of Youboty at Corner.

But having said that, guys coaching for their jobs aren't going to do that, and I probably wouldn't either.

Not a good situation for Buffalo

djjimkelly
12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't want them to draft a QB next year regardless of how Brohm does, so I hope he lights it up.

I've said it many times before, but I want us to focus on the O and DLines in the draft, followed by LB. Then, if we still need a QB (and I'm guessing that we will), we draft one in 2011.

im starting to feel like this also.

plus like ive said before had he come out in his junior year he was projected as an early 1st.

i think we are gonna get lucky for once just think of all the 1st rounder we have spent through trades and drafting JP(i think we made a mistake with him i blame jauron)

anyway this franchise is due a little luck and i think a solid qb has fallen into our laps for once

now we just need a real coach and a real GM to draft us some big men hopefully a great LT

streetkings01
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I have nothing against Simms, but I have zero issues with keeping Fitz as the backup. In my eyes, he is the perfect backup.He's the perfect backup if you like 116, 123, 117, 98, 86 and 178 yard passing games. IMO Trent is the perfect backup QB........plays it safe, throws alot of high% passes, wont lose you a game, but wont win it for you either......prototypical backup if you ask me.

streetkings01
12-24-2009, 01:59 PM
im starting to feel like this also.

plus like ive said before had he come out in his junior year he was projected as an early 1st.

i think we are gonna get lucky for once just think of all the 1st rounder we have spent through trades and drafting JP(i think we made a mistake with him i blame jauron)

anyway this franchise is due a little luck and i think a solid qb has fallen into our laps for once

now we just need a real coach and a real GM to draft us some big men hopefully a great LTHow long is your man crush for JP gonna last?

Don't Panic
12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
He's the perfect backup if you like 116, 123, 117, 98, 86 and 178 yard passing games. IMO Trent is the perfect backup QB........plays it safe, throws alot of high% passes, wont lose you a game, but wont win it for you either......prototypical backup if you ask me.

Never thought of it that way, but that's a great point. Just too bad it can't be here. No way can he be delegated to backup status in Buffalo after having a shot at at the starter role. But he may look good behind Alex Smith next year playing in his old backyard.

djjimkelly
12-24-2009, 07:04 PM
How long is your man crush for JP gonna last?

until he truly fails elsewhere

i truly think this franchise did him wrong not the other way around

they tried to make him not play to his strengths and jauron will never be forgiven for that and its why he doesnt have a job

DrGraves
12-24-2009, 08:24 PM
the bills need to make vick their number 1 priority this off season. there is NO other option for this franchise.

Night Train
12-25-2009, 02:06 PM

:bf1:

You are wise. Obviously, shiny new toys doesn't cloud your long term common sense.

Philagape
12-25-2009, 11:18 PM
the bills need to make vick their number 1 priority this off season. there is NO other option for this franchise.

If so, then there is no option, period.

Philagape
12-25-2009, 11:22 PM
This is all that needs to be said about Michael Vick:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a more accurate passer. :ill:

Night Train
12-26-2009, 08:17 AM

:rofl:

Post of the year