PDA

View Full Version : On Aaron Maybin

patmoran2006
12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
By Tyler Dunne

Aaron Maybin is an easy target. The 11th overall pick can do nothing right.
He held out of training camp. He barely ever sees the field. He is twicked away effortlessly by offensive tackles. Multiple times, he celebrated wildly after a ho-hum tackle. He got locked in the attic. His Christmas tree set on fire. His boss subscribed him to the Jelly of the Month Club.

OK, maybe not the last three. But, wow, Maybin sure has become Buffalo’s own Clark Griswold. To many, he resembles $17.6 million down the drain — a wasted pick that will set the Bills back for years. You know, like Mike Williams. Only thinner.

Stop that. The undersized Maybin has been rag-dolled and ineffective but nobody should dismiss him yet. Be patient. There is plenty of time and plenty of hope for the Karl Malone-built speed rusher from Penn State. Management probably freaked Wednesday when Aaron Schobel said he is thinking about retiring after the season. That means the offseason grocery list mounts.

MORE (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/give-maybin-time/)

Don't Panic
12-26-2009, 12:57 PM
A good point... I'll be patient with him. I just fear he's never going to be elite no matter how much of a turnaround he makes, and its getting a little old getting non-elite players in the 1st half of the 1st round.

Yasgur's Farm
12-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Who knows... He may never become elite. But he's bought and paid for (bonus wise)... We can still get good production from him that would equal or exceed his yearly rookie salary.

djjimkelly
12-26-2009, 02:11 PM
and lets not kid ourselves its not we have a solid coaching staff in place to get the most out of this kid.

he gets a flyer by me till well into next season

BillsWin
12-26-2009, 02:11 PM
his first step is very quick, and he had a good counter move in the preseason but all the promise he exhibited in the preseason has yet to show in the regular season. He is way too small right now.

Maybe he will be good, maybe he will be a bust. I kind of like his attitude though, he really liked Buffalo coming out of the draft and embraced the city. (Even though it hasn't embraced him.) He's confident and wants more play time. I say he needs o gain weight and needs to get on the field!

DMBcrew36
12-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Whether he turns into an 'OK' player or not, the Bills should not be picking players that are obviously going to be difficult projects instead of picking a player that can actually play now. We aren't in the position to be picking a project with our 1st round pick.

jamze132
12-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Whether he turns into an 'OK' player or not, the Bills should not be picking players that are obviously going to be difficult projects instead of picking a player that can actually play now. We aren't in the position to be picking a project with our 1st round pick.
Couldn't agree more.

DMBcrew36
12-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I mean, maybe if we were the New England Patriots or Indianapolis Colts we could afford to have our 1st round pick wait around - but even they don't strike me as teams that would spend their 1st round pick on a major project, rather than a player who was good enough to contribute right away. What does that tell you if the best teams in the league probably wouldn't ever spend a 1st on a project? Maybe that's why we're destined to suck - because we pick projects like Maybin with such important picks.

Why the hell would you invest yourself heavily into an extreme unknown, unproven, risk, when you could put that investment into a guy who has shown he is probably NFL ready.

don137
12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
I feel the problem with Maybin is he is a project and the Bills are not in position for a project player. That is not Maybins fault. To compound the problem most fans wanted Orakpo over Maybin an Orakpo has been very successful in Washington.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Now I don't have to post in this thread.