PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida!!

Coach Sal
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I know it's CFB news, but it's HUGE and it will trigger a lot of Bills HC discussions!!

WOW!!

EDIT: It is health related and I hope Urban is ok and is able to coach again at some point in his future.

Bufftp
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes just heard that. To Buffalo as HC? I doubt it.

homeslice5484
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
It says health reasons

YardRat
12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Huge news....hope his health issues aren't too serious.

Bufftp
12-26-2009, 05:59 PM
health reasons (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952)

When it was first aired on espn they did not have reason.

Ingtar33
12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
wow... that's huge news

I hope he'll be alright. Probably heart related... from the way they're talking.

X-Era
12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I know it's CFB news, but it's HUGE and it will trigger a lot of Bills HC discussions!!

WOW!!

EDIT: It is health related and I hope Urban is ok and is able to coach again at some point in his future.

I think we should expect almost all of the juniors to jump ship now. Haden, Major Wright, Dunlap, Moody, Hernandez, Marsh, and both Pouncey's.

Coach Sal
12-26-2009, 06:28 PM
I think we should expect almost all of the juniors to jump ship now. Haden, Major Wright, Dunlap, Moody, Hernandez, Marsh, and both Pouncey's.

Funny thing is I coached a kid playing there right now. He's a walk-on junior RB. Doesn't play much.......but does get time in almost every game on STs.

I saw him a couple days ago and asked if they were going to give him a scholly next year.

He said he graduated early and was invited to the combine. So, he's going to try and play professionally.

He could have taken one grad class and played another year but elected not to.

The point is, I'm guessing now that he and his teammates knew before they left for Christmas that this was happening.

streetkings01
12-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Hope his health problems aren't too serious, but the Seminoles fan in me is damn happy!

ServoBillieves
12-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Hope his health problems aren't too serious, but the Seminoles fan in me is damn happy!

My buddy at work did a cartwheel in our break room. He's a huuuuuuuge Noles fan.

Coach Sal
12-26-2009, 06:34 PM
This also kinda sucks for Charlie Strong. He just took the Louisville job and probably would have been at the top of their candidate list.

My early, early darkhorse for this job is Kerwin Bell -- head coach at Jacksonville University (where he's done a great job) and former Gators QB.

X-Era
12-26-2009, 06:40 PM
This also kinda sucks for Charlie Strong. He just took the Louisville job and probably would have been at the top of their candidate list.

My early, early darkhorse for this job is Kerwin Bell -- head coach at Jacksonville University (where he's done a great job) and former Gators QB.
Watch someone like Butch Davis jump ship for that job.

Coach Sal
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Watch someone like Butch Davis jump ship for that job.

He's one of the first names I thought of. Very possible.

Also, believe it or not, Mike Mularkey may be a strong candidate.

He played there and wanted the job when Zook got it. Now he has NFL HC experience, too.

Mike13
12-26-2009, 07:12 PM

and UF will still be better than FSU:limpclap:

Ebenezer
12-26-2009, 07:51 PM
I'll play the other side of the coin for a minute...if it is so serious why not step down now? Why coach in the bowl game? Could there be something bigger here?

X-Era
12-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll play the other side of the coin for a minute...if it is so serious why not step down now? Why coach in the bowl game? Could there be something bigger here?

Maybe to say he finished the year... sense of loyalty.

New report says he has been to the hospital several times since Dec 5th with chest pain.

Ebenezer
12-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Maybe to say he finished the year... sense of loyalty.

New report says he has been to the hospital several times since Dec 5th with chest pain.
that is what i am saying...why not stop right now...they say it is not life threatening but if the guy has been sick he should just shut it down...or let somebody take over everything.

X-Era
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
that is what i am saying...why not stop right now...they say it is not life threatening but if the guy has been sick he should just shut it down...or let somebody take over everything.

Kind of a: whats more important? I see what you mean.

Ebenezer
12-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Kind of a: whats more important? I see what you mean.
I can see the point about finishing the season but at this point turn it over to somebody and simply show up and stand on the sideline.

YardRat
12-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Maybe it's not serious enough to require immediate attention, but necessary for considerable enough attention in the near future to interfere with his job.

Mike13
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Whomever is the new HC had better be one hell of a recruiter.

tampabay25690
12-26-2009, 09:01 PM
My buddy at work did a cartwheel in our break room. He's a huuuuuuuge Noles fan.

Dick Jauron could be the coach in FLORIDA and FSU wouldnt have a chance to beat them.....FSU is not the program they use to be...

tampabay25690
12-26-2009, 09:02 PM

Dan Mullen
Bob Stoops of OK
My 2 to throw out there..

TigerJ
12-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Wow, this is huge for Florida. I don't see any implications for anyone or anything else except the college team from which Florida lures it's next head coach. They are one of the peach jobs in college football thanks in part to Urban Meyer's success. Just about anyone would kill to be able to coach there.

tampabay25690
12-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Yea it was sad to hear.
Its obvious there is more health issues behind this decision for MEYER.
He luvs FL and has 1 of the top jobs in all of sports.
Hope he is well......

Michael82
12-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I got it....Jacksonville fires Jack Del Rio and hires Meyer. Then they draft Tim Tebow. That would sell a lot of tickets!

tampabay25690
12-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I got it....Jacksonville fires Jack Del Rio and hires Meyer. Then they draft Tim Tebow. That would sell a lot of tickets!

Would sell alot of TIX but the Bills winning the Super Bowl is a better chance then Urban coaching next year.

Urban would never leave this job if it wasn't something serious. Stress can get the best of us and some handle it better. He is one of those guys that holds it in and I know what he is going threw because I had problems like that but not the $4 million per year that he gets......Sad day for the Gator Nation...

There were coaches fixing there resumes and contacting there agents last nite to get a chance to be the next coach of Florida. 1 of the top coaching jobs in all of SPORTS......They will land a big name or a guy that has been there before....

Charlie Strong did not sign his final contract at Lsville yet so there is a big chance he stays. I bet if Brian Kelly knew this he would have never signed at ND and waited....

1 thing is for sure FLORDA will absolutely destroy Cincinnati in the SUGAR Bowl....

Don't Panic
12-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Could Meyer be interested in running a team? It would be a lot less stressful to be an NFL GM than it would an elite college head coach. I can't see him leaving football altogether. Just a thought...

Mike13
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Now its being called a "leave of absence" Yep I smell a Pat Riley move in the future.

LtFinFan66
12-27-2009, 05:44 PM
he said he plans to be coaching come next season

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 07:45 AM
This has seemed fishy the whole way, I have no doubt Urban Meyer is sick and I feel for him in dealing with his condition. But something here doesn't seem right, it could be how its changed from not coaching to leave of absence to now coaching somewhere. Way too much misinformation right now.

Ingtar33
12-28-2009, 07:55 AM
This has seemed fishy the whole way, I have no doubt Urban Meyer is sick and I feel for him in dealing with his condition. But something here doesn't seem right, it could be how its changed from not coaching to leave of absence to now coaching somewhere. Way too much misinformation right now.

the word I'm hearing is he's suffered a series of heart-attacks (mild to minor) over the last 18 months... the biggest coming after the SEC championship game.

He doesn't want to retire and the boosters and AD at Florida don't want him to leave. However health concerns are forcing this on him right now. Until he has the heart condition fixed or controlled he won't be able to return to coaching.

The trick is they don't know when that might be.

this situation looks confusing precisely because it is. He doesn't want to leave coaching. The team doesn't want him gone. And his health situation is up in the air.

DraftBoy
12-29-2009, 07:49 AM
the word I'm hearing is he's suffered a series of heart-attacks (mild to minor) over the last 18 months... the biggest coming after the SEC championship game.

He doesn't want to retire and the boosters and AD at Florida don't want him to leave. However health concerns are forcing this on him right now. Until he has the heart condition fixed or controlled he won't be able to return to coaching.

The trick is they don't know when that might be.

this situation looks confusing precisely because it is. He doesn't want to leave coaching. The team doesn't want him gone. And his health situation is up in the air.

I heard about the SEC game, though nobody is officially saying heart attack, yet.

In my opinion, Meyer needs to do more than just step away right now, he needs to be gone. This isn't about being bias towards Florida or against Meyer at all. This may hurt Florida, a few of their recruits have already decommited off this news and Urban will be unable in my opinion to not talk to recruits the next few months.

If your a 5 star kid who is thinking about Florida and their coaches are all saying, yes Urban will be back but you can't talk to him because he's away on a leave of abscence, its just not good for Florida. If people don't think coaches like Kiffin will exploit this and try and steal some Florida recruits they are nuts. Yes it may be a disgusting act, but this is the SEC...recuriting may be the dirtiest business that goes on down here.

I hope for Meyer's sake they get this under control and he can return to coaching. You never want to see somebody struck down by injury or sickness.

Ebenezer
12-29-2009, 08:14 AM
ok...he can make up his mind...like the Who and Brett Favre...retire or not.