PDA

View Full Version : Who are the 2010 Buffalo Bills starting safeties?

yordad
12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Who are our starting safeties?

I just noticed George Wilson's numbers. He leads the team in combined tackles. He leads all non-lineman in sacks, tied for 4th on team. He has 4 interception which has him tied for 17th in the league, and 4th for safeties (Byrd is first, of course). He also has a forced fumble (good enough to tie for second on the team behind Poz). BTW, he only started 10 games. He is also a team captain.

Byrd is reported to have only played at 80% this year. Seriously? Gez, this guy is the starting free safety next year. He has 20 pass defensed, for comparison Whitner has 11 in his career. This is mind boggling. This is second in the league for safeties behind only Darren Sharper, who started every game.

Then of course we have Whitner and Scott. And if I go farther I will be writing a book.

So,

1). Who is going to start next year?
2). How would you rate our starters out of 32 teams (approx.)?
3). How would you rate our depth? Scale of 1 to 10.
4). Do you make any roster changes?
5). Would you re-sign Scott?

Joe Fo Sho
12-26-2009, 10:29 PM
3). How would you rate our depth?

1. Gotta imagine it's still going to be Whitner and Byrd.
2. 15-20 maybe? But I don't know too much about safety duos, other than Byrd is good and Whitner pisses me off.
3. I love the combo of Scott and Wilson for depth, I would give it an 8.
4. Not unless we cut/trade Whitner, which won't happen. He's getting paid too much to not play him and hope he gets better.
5. Absolutely

I gotta think Wilson's stats are a bit inflated, the guy is a tackling machine on special teams. I'd like to know how many tackles he has on defense vs. special teams. Plus I believe one of his interceptions was on the botched field goal by the Jets?

Still, Wilson is one of my favorite Bills, but not based solely on production.

trapezeus
12-26-2009, 11:07 PM
how pissed is this site going to be if with our top 10 pick we go safety again, even though this team is even worse than the 2005 team?

BillsWin
12-27-2009, 12:40 AM

Whitner and Byrd. Hands down. Wilson will get a fair share of plays as will Scott. Talented group of safeties. Whitner is solid versus the run. He doesn't make a lot of interceptions, but his overall play was much improved at the start of the season. He then got injured, and hasn't continued that high level of play. I really thought this was going to be his breakout season. Byrd is good in pass coverage, but iffy against the run and he was never 100%. Get him healthy and let him grow as a all around FS and him and Whitner are a great starting pair in my opinion.

The safety starters are pretty solid. I actually think if Byrd becomes better against the run, a Whitner, Byrd duo is top 10, maybe even top 5 of safety combos in the league. Yeah, I said it.

3). How would you rate our depth? Scale of 1 to 10.

Good depth. 8-9. Only because Wilson and Scott can step in and play at a good level.

Not at that position. Eric Berry is an amazing prospect, but I think the Bills stick with what they got because it isn't bad at all.

Yes. Good player that can play LB, SS, FS and probably other positions too.

DrGraves
12-27-2009, 12:48 AM
Byrd and Wilson will be starting.

Cut Whitner. We don't need to be paying this guy. The only thing he is concerned with is how many facebook friends he has and his Barbie collection. He is a DISGRACE to football.

Byrd is a BALLhawk. I love it. This man knows how to patrol the secondary.

Wilson and Scott has both shown flashes. I personally like Wilson and feel like he could be the man once given a full time opportunity.

Donte go suck it. Go grow a set of balls would you.

kernowboy
12-27-2009, 02:44 AM
I would certainly look to see if someone would be interested in trading for Whitner. He's a free agent after next season, so unless we resign him cheaply we'd be looking for a replacement.

As Wilson and Scott have shown they can step up, there is no harm in seeing if we can get a 3rd or 4th for him.

Jan Reimers
12-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Whitner and Byrd. We all know that Byrd is a ballhawk. Whitner is much maligned for his being drafted 8th overall, but not being an All Pro. That doesn't mean he is not a solid player, however.

We have so many needs - QB, LT, DT, DE, LB, and WR - that it makes little sense to start getting rid of solid performers like Whitner, Poz, Lynch and others who are solid, but not stars.

tampabay25690
12-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Whitner and Byrd.
You need depth in this league and Scott and Wilson would be great depth.....