PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm vs. Atlanta Falcons, 12/27/09

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Series 1
Threw the ball a bit low to McIntyre (1st 13:44). Took a sack, had a small window to throw the ball time wise, but the pocket collapsed quickly. Still could have gotten the ball out. (1st 13:34).

Series 2
Starts in a hole, false start on 73 backs them up another 5. Nice toss back to Jackson on 1st down. Threw the ball over the head of TO with a guy at his feet. No one was open. (1st 11:23).

Series 3
Run on 1st. Run for 1st on 2nd. Pump fake long throw for TO, overthrown. Had a nice spiral, a bit too much loft. (1st 6:26). Run on 2nd. Nice throw to Jackson in the flat, short of the 1st. (1st 5:22).

Series 4
Run on 1st. Nice throw on 2nd, away from the defender, a bit too far outside (2nd 13:13). Another decent throw to Lynch who dropped it, again away from defender (2nd 13:04). Run out of Wildcat. Immediate pressure on 3rd and 4, threw the ball out to Evans, too high, threw off his wrong foot.

Series 5
Nice job on a screen pass to McIntyre for a gain of 8. Good job feeling the pressure and delivering the ball with a guy in his face (2nd 9:40). Run for 1st down. Threw the ball to Nelson, who didn't turn around. May have thrown it early (2nd 8:35). Nice job on the fake for a 1st down screen pass (2nd 8:01). Threw a ball up off target to the inside to TO for an INT. TO appears to have given up and not fight for the ball. But Brohm again put too much loft on it. He throws a nice tight spiral and has decent zip on short throws, but he is lofting the ball too much on long throws. (2nd 8:00). He isnt costing the team by making bad decisions except on his long throws which are off target.

Series 6
Starting deep due to block in the back penalty. Starting from the 5. Nice throw to TO for a 1st down. A quick curl. Gain of 10. Put the ball on the money (2nd 5:50). Nice check down to Jackson for a gain of 8. Solid job going through his progressions on that play (2nd 4:52). Git decent time and threw for a nice 1st down to Evans, gain of 12. Roughing the passer, 15 yards tacked on (2nd 4:40). Another nice short throw to TO on a curl in the flat. Having a solid drive, good decision making and pocket awareness. Appears to have calmed down. Run on 2nd and 2. 3rd and 1, false start on Jackson, now 3rd and 6. Nice throw on the 1st down line to TO. Quick release, good zip, and a tight spiral. Good accuracy on that throw, drilled it into his numbers. Measured for 1st down (2nd 2:41). Run on 1st. 2 minute offense. Nice throw for 8 yards to Evans on the short out to the left (2nd 1:54). Threw it away on 3rd and 3. Penalty on Chambers, declined. 4th down. What I like is that he didn't force the ball, he simply threw it away.

----Half Time----

Series 7
Starting on their own 10. Run on 1st for 2. Quick decision to run it for 1, wanted to throw to TO who wasn't open. 3 wide set, twists around for a short throw to Stupar which was tipped. Threw it down a bit too much instead of lofting it over the lineman, 3rd and 8 (3rd 11:00).

Series 8
Run on 1st for a loss. Drilled the ball to Lynch on a short throw, penalty for illegal formation. Brohm showed very nice pocket presence and poise on that play, felt no pressure and took his time. 2nd down, fumble for TD after the hand off. Jackson was stripped of the ball.

Series 9
From their own 21. Nice short throw to McIntyre in the flat for a gain of 6. Another nice short throw to the left to McIntyre for a 1st down. Nice intermediate throw to TO for 15 yards. Right on the money, nice accuracy (3rd 4:13). Nice intermediate throw for 16 yards to Evans. Looking very calm in the pocket. (3rd 2:52). Incomplete pass to Stupar just past his hands, on 1st down. Again away from the defender. Looked like Stupar might have been tripped up or slowed down on his route. Short pass to Evans for gain of 6. (3rd 2:06). Timeout. Hes showing solid poise and isn't getting rattled even though the line is getting pushed back to him and his pocket has collapsed at times. Short pass to TO blocked by defender. Appeared a bit off target, too close to defender, a bit behind TO. (3rd 1:58).

Series 10
From their own 30. Failed end around to TO on 1st. 2nd and 14, from shotgun, delay of game. Bad choice by Brohm. 2nd and 19, draw run to 27. 3rd and 14, threw the ball away due to pressure (4th 11:52).

Series 11
Nice quick slant to Hardy for a gain of 9 (4th 3:46). Picked for an INT on a throw to Evans. Ball thrown behind Evans. Defender squatted on it and made the pick. Not a typical throw by him in this game, Usually throws away from the defender.

Good pocket presence. Doesn't make stupid mistakes where he forces the ball. May look a bit tentative and isn't taking as many chances, but that may be a good thing this early in his career. Appears to be fairly calm in the pocket, I didn't really see happy feet. Impressive job making throws with the pressure on. Really good job managing the short game and moving the offense when he had time. Looks decisive and makes the throws with authority. Doesn't hang in the pocket too long and take needless sacks. He gets the ball out, runs, or throws it away.

Has good mechanics with a quick release, nice throwing motion. He has good arm strength but not great. Accuracy is good in the short and intermediate game. He throws away from the defenders and usually on target. Can overthrow his guys at times, but so far, has thrown it to high or long and away from the defender. That's where you would prefer the bad throws. If its under thrown or at the defender, you risk INT's. Made a bad throw behind Evans in the 4th, but that was the only one I saw. Long throws off target, that's the biggest question mark on him at this point. They appear to be thrown with too much air and off target.

BILLSROCK1212
12-27-2009, 03:22 PM
so should we bring him into camp??

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice rundown.

Set up to fail. Hope doesn't win football games. Fewell grin is annoying.

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
It's his first game...he looked OK and has potential. Wish he would have been coached up more to play at the end of the season, but this coaching staffed dropped the ball. Perry Fool is way too caught up in the belief that he actually had a chance to be the next HC, that he stunted the growth of many of the young players on this team. This kid must start next week...even if Fitz is healthy.

YardRat
12-27-2009, 03:25 PM
He didn't **** his pants back there...that's enough for me to determine he should be back for TC next season.

YardRat
12-27-2009, 03:26 PM
This kid must start next week...even if Fitz is healthy.

I agree.

PECKERWOOD
12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Trent Edwards is still twice the QB Brian Brohm is and even Fitzpatrick at this point in his career is a much better option.

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Trent Edwards is still twice the QB Brian Brohm is and even Fitzpatrick at this point in his career is a much better option.

Not really...both have proven they suck. Brohm was on the same level as both of them today and it was only his first game started in the NFL. To me, that shows he has much more upside and is a better option then both of them. Then again, that isn't saying much.

justasportsfan
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
played like a normal rookie

Ingtar33
12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Not really...both have proven they suck. Brohm was on the same level as both of them today and it was only his first game started in the NFL. To me, that shows he has much more upside and is a better option then both of them. Then again, that isn't saying much.

yeah.. he was in the neighborhood.

not bad for a first pro start

Mad Bomber
12-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Agreed. I hate typing, so I'm not gonna say a lot more.

Good post.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Point of reference:

Anyone care to take a guess at who's stats these are from their first game?

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Not everyone has upside.

Some players are what you see is what you get.

What we got is more crappy QB play, just a different name.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Not everyone has upside.

Some players are what you see is what you get.

What we got is more crappy QB play, just a different name.

But its also undetermined what his future holds, that's the same as any rookie, and different from Trent and Fitz.

TigerJ
12-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Considering he's never played a regular season down in th NFL, he played pretty well. He made only a few mistakes, and they were thye kind of mistakes yoou often see a young player make. Anyone who trashes Brohm on his play today does so not because he's being objective, but because he's got an agenda. I'd like to see him get the start next week, but more than that I'd like to see what he can do behind an actual offensive line instead o a train wreck.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 03:40 PM
But its also undetermined what his future holds, that's the same as any rookie, and different from Trent and Fitz.

With this franchises track record and how he was regarded in Green Bay prior to coming here, it's pretty easy to make a deduction on the guy this soon.

mikemac2001
12-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Point of reference:

Rob johnson

Mad Bomber
12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Considering he's never played a regular season down in th NFL, he played pretty well. He made only a few mistakes, and they were thye kind of mistakes yoou often see a young player make. Anyone who trashes Brohm on his play today does so not because he's being objective, but because he's got an agenda. I'd like to see him get the start next week, but more than that I'd like to see what he can do behind an actual offensive line instead o a train wreck.
:bf1:

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Rob johnson

Nope.

Good guess though.

jamze132
12-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Fewell better not play Fitz next week.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:44 PM
With this franchises track record and how he was regarded in Green Bay prior to coming here, it's pretty easy to make a deduction on the guy this soon.

I dont think so.

I think its more usually the case that QB's play like rookies early on, but that it can take years before figuring out what you have in them.

kernowboy
12-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Green Bay made an offer to resign him to the full roster.

It was Brohm's choice to leave not the Packers.

Try to use the facts when making your deductions

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 03:47 PM

Don't even try, his posts make no sense and he just comes on here to drum up trouble.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 03:48 PM

If Green Bay was that high on him, he wouldn't have been beaten out by Matt Flynn and put on the PS to begin with.

Ingtar33
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Point of reference:

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rams vs Texans 2005 (google is my friend, googled "19-30-310 3 tds 1 int" and fitz's name popped straight up)

X-Era
12-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick, Rams vs Texans 2005 (google is my friend)

Yep.

And we all know what we have in him.

Point is, you cant evaluate a guy based on one game or even only one seasons worth. I think it takes several.

kernowboy
12-27-2009, 03:54 PM
If Green Bay was that high on him, he wouldn't have been beaten out by Matt Flynn and put on the PS to begin with.

There have been many good QBs who didn't have it work out at their first stop.

Why would the Packers have tried to retain him if they hadn't liked what they had seen? Again they tried to get hin to stay - these are the FACTS not some opinion

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Yep.

Point is, you cant evaluate a guy based on one game or even only one seasons worth. I think it takes several.

I'd disagree with you, but I'm afraid you'll go tell somebody.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Yep.

Brohm won't ever get that chance in the NFL. Here or otherwise.

He was simply a throwaway player from another franchise that we picked up because our guys were that terrible. It took those terrible guys getting hurt for this guy to even see the field.

Do the math. There simply is no way to hold any optimism for this guy especially after what we saw him do on the field. Which was a whole lot of nothing.

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 03:56 PM
There have been many good QBs who didn't have it work out at their first stop.

Why would the Packers have tried to retain him if they hadn't liked what they had seen? Again they tried to get hin to stay - these are the FACTS not some opinion

They have been ravaged along the offensive line this year and needed the roster spot.

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 03:57 PM

He was simply a throwaway player from another franchise that we picked up because our guys were that terrible. It took those terrible guys getting hurt for this guy to even see the field.

Do the math. There simply is no way to hold any optimism for this guy especially after what we saw him do on the field. Which was a whole lot of nothing.

Just stop...we know what you're doing...trying to get everybody riled up. You don't like him, fine.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 04:12 PM

I disagree and think he has as much potential as many others we may draft. Thats all he needs to be right now IMO. A guy with potential.

TigerJ
12-27-2009, 04:13 PM
The TV announcers referenced an interview with Brohm in which he stated he fell apart in his rookie training camp. The scouting report on him in college said he didn't check down much. He could get away with that in college, but you have to be able to utilize your second and third options in the pros. My guess is that it was too much of an adjustment for him to make quickly. You could see today, however, that he was seeing multiple options today and not always zoning in on one receiver.

I hope that with his lack of success on deep throws today he doesn't turn hyper-autious like Trent Edwards seemed to. With the Bills' offensive line as bad as it is right now, he'll have to pick his spots to throw long. There won't be a lot of chances. I'm more convinced that ever that job number one for the new coaching regime for the Bills needs to do whatever it takes to make sure the Bills have decent offensive line next season.

HHURRICANE
12-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Totally agree. I was at the game today and Ill take Edwards.

The Bills need to sign Vick, and let Edwards and Fitz sit behind him.

yordad
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't even try, his posts make no sense and he just comes on here to drum up trouble.He's just pissed the Browns didn't nab him.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Just stop...we know what you're doing...trying to get everybody riled up. You don't like him, fine.

I'm not trying to get anyone riled up, I'm trying to get people to take off the rose petaled glasses. We take someone else's trash and he proves he is indeed trash, yet people are still saying he's shown signs and they like what they see. What we saw was the same crap performance from the QB position we see week after week after week.

Some people apparently like the mediocrity of this roster and will defend it to the ends of the earth. I, on the other hand, will not.

I'll call a spade a spade...and Brohm is flat out the same garbage we've seen for years.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm not trying to get anyone riled up, I'm trying to get people to take off the rose petaled glasses. We take someone else's trash and he proves he is indeed trash, yet people are still saying he's shown signs and they like what they see. What we saw was the same crap performance from the QB position we see week after week after week.

Some people apparently like the mediocrity of this roster and will defend it to the ends of the earth. I, on the other hand, will not.

I'll call a spade a spade...and Brohm is flat out the same garbage we've seen for years.

Im interested to hear exactly what you think about any of the upcoming draft class, who play at the college level.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Im interested to hear exactly what you think about any of the upcoming draft class, who play at the college level.

The only guy in the draft who I think has a chance at success at the NFL level is Bradford. Problem is his shoulder injuries are somewhat of a deterrent to me.

It's an extremely weak QB class.

And yes, outside of a horrendous combine or freak injury, I know Claussen is gonna be a top 10 pick. Whoever drafts him will set their franchise back 5 years.

kernowboy
12-27-2009, 04:22 PM

He's had one start, his blindside protected by the heralded Aaron Ramsey for most of the game and his star WR quitting on him, and suddenly he's garbage.

Such a ludicrous opinion does not even warrant responding to any further

Don't Panic
12-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Great thread, X... thanks for putting in the work and reminding me why i come to this site. The effort is much appreciated...

Brohm showed today he deserves another look, which is all you can ask for at this point. Given the choice of inviting him or Trent to camp next year, I'd take him. He at least has not had his fragile ego destroyed in his time here and has a chance to develop. Plus, I saw the tools from Brohm today that you want to see in a 1st NFL start. The stats and result may not show it, but he looked pretty good today all things considered.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 04:23 PM
He's had one start, his blindside protected by the heralded Aaron Ramsey for most of the game and his star WR quitting on him, and suddenly he's garbage.

Such a ludicrous opinion does not even warrant responding to any further

Great now the illustrious Brian Brohm is gonna get "lickers"

FANTASTIC!

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Great thread, X... thanks for putting in the work and reminding me why i come to this site. The effort is much appreciated...

Brohm showed today he deserves another look, which is all you can ask for at this point. Given the choice of inviting him or Trent to camp next year, I'd take him. He at least has not had his fragile ego destroyed in his time here and has a chance to develop. Plus, I saw the tools from Brohm today that you want to see in a 1st NFL start. The stats and result may not show it, but he looked pretty good today all things considered.

Don't get him mad...

kernowboy
12-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Great now the illustrious Brian Brohm is gonna get "lickers"

FANTASTIC!

No lickers. Just plain common sense something you appear to lack by the skip load based on your unfactually based assertions

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 04:29 PM
No lickers. Just plain common sense something you appear to lack by the skip load based on your unfactually based assertions

Be careful...don't be negative towards other posters...you'll get in trouble.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Be careful...don't be negative towards other posters...you'll get in trouble.

tsk tsk...the internets police are gonna reprimand you!!!!

You in trouble now, boy!

:rofl:

Nighthawk
12-27-2009, 04:31 PM
tsk tsk...the internets police are gonna reprimand you!!!!

You in trouble now, boy!

:rofl:

Yep...all I'll say is I was a bad boy and should be put in Internet jail. I'm such a bad person!

X-Era
12-27-2009, 05:56 PM

I agree with your assessment. He seems to have the skills you would like to see, but I think he needs to be groomed correctly and brought along slowly.

BillsWin
12-27-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought statistically he wasn't good. But he didn't freak out, stood tall in the pocket at times when he should have been running for his life. I thought he slowed the game down enough to where if given time, he could have drove down the field methodically. Poor kid isn't being given much opportunity to succeed. This o-line is an absolute joke, Terrell Owens has given up, Lee Evans isn't performing at a high level, Marshawn Lynch let himself get fat, even Jackson wasn't his usual self today. Our coachingstaff couldn't call a game if it was a pee wee flag football tournament, Alex Van Pelt is a total waste of salary, Perry Fewell is a joke.

I would love to see him play next week. I don't think one game is a good enough sample to judge him. Although posters like Pecker seem to.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Curtis Painter has been just as bad as Brian Brohm.

Maybe we should try to pick him up for next year too!

X-Era
12-27-2009, 06:26 PM

What would your solution to our QB problem be?

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM

He was actually worse behind a MUCH better line.

/Point failed

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:30 PM
What would your solution to our QB problem be?

Michael Vick.

The same solution I was saying before this year even started.

We need a mobile QB behind this abysmal Offensive line who can throw the ball.

With the guys on the roster now? Just put Lee Evans back there at QB, god knows he's not a threat in receiving the ball...or Parrish. Whoever of the two can throw the ball better so defenses are kept honest.

Skip drafting anyone this offseason at QB, too much risk involved on any of the guys, sign Vick who will likely be released by Philly. Sign him to a three year deal incentive laden. Draft his successor next offseason.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Michael Vick.

With the guys on the roster now? Just put Lee Evans back there at QB, god knows he's not a threat in receiving the ball...or Parrish. Whoever of the two can throw the ball better so defenses are kept honest.

Skip drafting anyone this offseason at QB, too much risk involved on any of the guys, sign Vick who will likely be released by Philly. Sign him to a three year deal incentive laden. Draft his successor next offseason.

Ive been a fan of that move for a while now.

I dont think the issue should be called "solved".

If Vick plays even decent and we end up being a 8 and 8 team, we may lose out on Locker, and Mallett (if he doesnt declare) who could both go top 5.

I still want a young prospect for the future. To me, Brohm looks as good as any of the prospects this year except Bradford. And Sam wont drop.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
He was actually worse behind a MUCH better line.

/Point failed

No he wasn't.

And the line wasn't much better, Indy was playing backups everywhere.

In fact, one can argue that Painter played better because he didn't have anyone good out there with him. Bills fan like to claim Evans and TO are good.

Painter turned it over twice, so did Brohm. Painter was sacked twice, so was Brohm. Neither looked good throwing the rock. Neither produced any TDs.

I know I'm excited for next week. Painter vs Brohm, should be a classic.

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Ive been a fan of that move for a while now.

I dont think the issue should be called "solved".

If Vick plays even decent and we end up being a 8 and 8 team, we may lose out on Locker, and Mallett (if he doesnt declare) who could both go top 5.

I still want a young prospect for the future. To me, Brohm looks as good as any of the prospects this year except Bradford. And Sam wont drop.

Sam won't drop down the draft, no. But his shoulder risks are a concern to me.

His shoulder could derail his NFL career or he could turn into a franchise QB.

After all he is the closest thing to a potential franchise QB in this draft.

If you honestly think Brohm looks as good as any of the prospects in this draft and I know I've seen you echo my sentiments that it's a weak QB class then you're also admitting he's not very good.

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
No he wasn't.

And the line wasn't much better, Indy was playing backups everywhere.

Did you watch the game? The line was intact well into the 4th quarter when I stopped watching.

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Michael Vick.

Michael Vick doesn't fulfill this "solution" you're outlining.

He is mobile, yet he can't throw the ball. He is good at psychopath dog killing, but not really an accurate passer.

Mr. Pink
Did you watch the game? The line was intact well into the 4th quarter when I stopped watching.

I watched the entire game and saw them keep showing, Wayne, Manning, Clark, Ugoh, Addai on the sidelines.

X-Era
Sam won't drop down the draft, no. But his shoulder risks are a concern to me.

His shoulder could derail his NFL career or he could turn into a franchise QB.

After all he is the closest thing to a potential franchise QB in this draft.

If you honestly think Brohm looks as good as any of the prospects in this draft and I know I've seen you echo my sentiments that it's a weak QB class then you're also admitting he's not very good.

I think we are looking at this differently with Brohm.

Is he a quality NFL starter right now? No. I think that is what your trying to say and I agree with that. If your saying he isnt a quality starter right now, today, I agree.

Does he have the skills to develop into a quality NFL starter? Yes, IMO. I don't see a specific reason he cant. Not his arm, not his decision making, not his pocket awareness, not mechanics. His issues with the long throws are the only things that I had a major problem with today.

X-Era
12-27-2009, 06:41 PM

He is mobile, yet he can't throw the ball. He is good at psychopath dog killing, but not really an accurate passer.

:lol:

Mr. Pink
12-27-2009, 06:42 PM

He can throw the rock, he has a cannon...i never said he was accurate with his throws.

He's a perfect fit here next year.

We're gonna lose WRs who Vick doesn't really like all that much, we have a solid prospect with good size at TE - Vick loved Crumpler, we have a back who can catch out of the backfield - another thing Vick loved.

And the biggest reason he's a fit? He can run around and make plays out of nothing. Either by throwing or taking off and running himself.

realdealryan
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I watched the entire game and saw them keep showing, Wayne, Manning, Clark, Ugoh, Addai on the sidelines.

Addai sat most of the game, Ugoh is not the starter. The other 3 are skill positions that have nothing to do with Painter's time to throw or decision-making.

And Michael Vick is a douche.

trapezeus
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
my take? his first game looked a lot like edwards. makes good decisions, might be off here or there, but is servicable.

he needs to be coached up, he needs help with the line.

If he played 6 games like this, he'd be trentative, injured and a shell of what he could have been. Thank god there is only 1 more "game."

mysticsoto
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Wow, I thought I was going to come in here and see Brohm getting toasted by everyone. Glad to see that level-headed minds still rule here - and if it's just FunTimesNay disagreeing, I can live with the usual negativity from him. For his 1st game, it was pretty decent. He showed better accuracy than Fitz in the short/medium routes and showed he has an arm for the bomb (though he needs to work more with our WRs to get the timing right). Considering we had 2nd, 3rd stringers and recent PSers blocking for him, I thought he did pretty decent. I look forward to seeing him play with an offseason to study and learn the playbook better, and with an Oline that has our best personnel blocking for him. I'm willing to give him a chance since he looked ok.

Which is great, b'cse that frees us up to go Dline in the 1st rd. If Schobel (our leading sacker) retires and we let Denney go (and frankly, I think we should) we'll have even bigger holes than we do now. I'd consider drafting AND bringing in FAs. I think next year, our starting cast for LBs should return and we should be much better off there. And Leodis McKelvin returns for CB as well as Byrd for Safety (who I think needs to start getting alot more playing time). We might actually look better than we think next year.

On offense, we need Johnson or Hardy to start stepping up!!!