PDA

View Full Version : On Brohm after watching the game back again (and again)

patmoran2006
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I've seen enough of him to want to see some more.

I went back to every offensive play, sometimes more than once, and I also ran some of them in slow motion

I thought he played pretty damn well when you consider he didnt know this offense or the guys he's running it worth ****.

He made a few bad decisions and threw a few bad balls.

But I also saw a lot of zip on some passes, and I saw a few balls he threw over the middle in the second half with some swagger and confidence.

Hat off to the Atlanta kid who made a great break on the ball for the 2nd INT. .The first one is clearly on Brohm, but he's not the only QB in history to underthrow a ball.. It happens

I dont know. There is something about this kid I like, and I'd like to see more.

And I'd like to see how he looks after a full training camp and an OL that even has a hint of competence.

Joe Fo Sho
12-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree and add the following:

Dude LOVES the button hook...

ChristopherWalken
12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I agree. He had a nice release and made some decent decisions. He even threw it downfield.

Seemed like Evans was half-assing on the field as well.

I think this Bills team has quit on themselves and had they been plying for something Brohm might have had a better game.

patmoran2006
12-27-2009, 10:29 PM
In the first quarter he overthrew a slightly open Owens on a go route.

Not impressed by the throw of course, but he barely snapped his f'n wrist and the ball was out and past the WR.

I'm not saying the kid is the next Jim Kelly or even NFL starter, but I certainly would like to see some more of him.

elltrain22
12-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Here's a list of all the things Brohm had working against him....

- crappy o-line
- 1st NFL start, and on the road
- not alot of practice time or prep w/ 1st team off
- very, very bad play calling
- TO didn't even try to run routes or block on running plays

with all this against him....

- he completed nearly 60% of his throws
- only took 2 sacks
- threw the ball to WR's, not just rb's and TE's
- had got zip on his throws, especially his short throws were there was little time for error

overall, considering all that was against, and what he did that was positive, I think there's a lot of positives to take. I look forward to seeing him at home next week, versus, probably, Indy's scrubs. Should be very interesting. Hope to see alot more 4 wr sets.

ChristopherWalken
12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Here's a list of all the things Brohm had working against him....

- crappy o-line
- 1st NFL start, and on the road
- not alot of practice time or prep w/ 1st team off
- very, very bad play calling
- TO didn't even try to run routes or block on running plays

with all this against him....

- he completed nearly 60% of his throws
- only took 2 sacks
- threw the ball to WR's, not just rb's and TE's
- had got zip on his throws, especially his short throws were there was little time for error

overall, considering all that was against, and what he did that was positive, I think there's a lot of positives to take. I look forward to seeing him at home next week, versus, probably, Indy's scrubs. Should be very interesting. Hope to see alot more 4 wr sets.

Good points. One of the sacks was a coverage sack as he was trying to scramble into the collapsed pocket. Nearly got away too.

more cowbell
12-27-2009, 10:43 PM
he looked more confident today than edwards or fitzpatrick have all season.

hes got some swagger, and a real nice arm...and he gets rid of the ball quickly.

id definetaly like to see him back next season...NOT starting of course

trapezeus
12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
do the bills have a rule against running the slant? 15 games later, we are left wondering when this would eventually happen?

theanswer74
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
do the bills have a rule against running the slant? 15 games later, we are left wondering when this would eventually happen?
They ran slants probably 10 times today, I think it was the same play everytime.

Ingtar33
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM

on Brohms last completion he hit Hardy on a slant.

BuffaloBlitz83
12-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Brohm vs colts, likey backups after 1st quarter.

Throne Logic
12-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I, too, look forward to what BB does next week for all of the same reasons you guys already listed.

My fear: Fitz is healthy enough to start and our coaching staff, in their infinite, ultra-conservative wisdom (like kicking a FG down by 24 in a lost season), benches Brohm. "For his own good", of course.

I want to see Brohm next week. In fact, it's really the only thing about that game that interests me now that Indy lost.

patmoran2006
12-27-2009, 10:52 PM
They only had about 10 different passing plays, or variations of them in today's game plan.

Throne Logic
12-27-2009, 10:54 PM
They only had about 10 different passing plays, or variations of them in today's game plan.

Not shocking considering the prep time that Brohm had.

BillsWin
12-27-2009, 11:54 PM
I want to see him next week. There is no reason to play Fitzpatrick. None.

unpaid_bills
12-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Does it really matter? This team has little to cheer about, at least our starting QB didnt get injured this week although we lost another lineman i think unbelievable

djjimkelly
12-28-2009, 02:54 AM

I went back to every offensive play, sometimes more than once, and I also ran some of them in slow motion

I thought he played pretty damn well when you consider he didnt know this offense or the guys he's running it worth ****.

But I also saw a lot of zip on some passes, and I saw a few balls he threw over the middle in the second half with some swagger and confidence.

Hat off to the Atlanta kid who made a great break on the ball for the 2nd INT. .The first one is clearly on Brohm, but he's not the only QB in history to underthrow a ball.. It happens

I dont know. There is something about this kid I like, and I'd like to see more.

And I'd like to see how he looks after a full training camp and an OL that even has a hint of competence.

i couldnt agree more

he was making the throws an nfl qb has to make

id like to think if he was training camped thru a system he would look even better

mush69
12-28-2009, 03:58 AM
The first over throw to TO, TO wasn't running and never even tried, The first interception was under thrown.....hmmm

I liked what I saw today also, the kid has a lot of talent.

mayotm
12-28-2009, 06:32 AM
He seems to have some upside. Like most people in this thread, I'd like to see some more of him. It would be great to see some improvement next week even if it's against the Colts scrubs.

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 06:39 AM

Pretty much the exact way I saw it.

Is he the answer.. I sure don't know....

Did he play well.. of course not, but who has played well on this team at QB

One thing for sure. He seems to have a strong arm. he seemed capable of making all the throws Short medium long inside and outside... Just wasn't very poised of accurate. But again behind this OL in your 1st NFl game what else did we expect. He did settle down some in the 2nd quarter, but in the 2nd half he was shaky again

I have said this many times. These last 2 games are merely a treat for fans to get an idea what Brohm has. It is also an opportunity for him to grab some game experience that he can take with him this offseason and use to help him prep for next year.. This only benefits him IMO. there is no pressure ot win, just a young QB getting some reps and experience

:monkeyp: HH

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 06:45 AM

they did run it... but it has been a play that for some reason the Bills never executed well this year or the last few. .. and the quick slant is crucial for offsetting the blitz.

I started thinking that this was a Trent issue. When ever he threw the slant he was off target way too often. I've said this about Trent.. he has trouble with moving targets, and the quick slant meant the target was moving.

Fitz has run the slant a tad more effective.. but Van Pelt seemed to not call the slant much with Fitz at QB, Probably because opposing D's take the slant away knowing we did'nt have much else ot counter with ....but then again I haven't watched every play Fitz has QB'd do to conflicting schedules and the minor fact the Bills suck so bad I sometimes can't even watch a Tivo'd game in full.

But Brohm did show one thing. He has the arm to make all the throws. He showed some touch, some zip, and some instinct. he is just stuck behind a POS beat up OL

yordad
12-28-2009, 06:49 AM
The first over throw to TO, TO wasn't running and never even tried, The first interception was under thrown.....hmmm

I liked what I saw today also, the kid has a lot of talent.Yes, TO stopped on that play.

RockStar36
12-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I didn't hate what I saw. I also refuse to blame him for his first INT.

The Juice Is Loose
12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I wasn't looking for great stats, I was looking for skills and balls. He clearly has both.

Very quick getting dropped back. That extra half second with our line is awesome.

Very quick release. He gets it out.

He has the balls to make downfield throws, but still knows when to check down.

I too want to see more. I'm even more willing to invest more in brohm than most of u guys.

I think we should bring in a vet and let him compete with brohm for the job. Draft all power players, see what brohm can do nxt year.

HHURRICANE
12-28-2009, 09:34 AM
This is analogous with being put on bread and water rations for a month and than being thrown a 3-day old hamburger.

This board has reached a new level of ineptness.

The guy had a 43 QB rating. The sacks were not coverage sacks as I was at the game.

If the 0-line is an excuse than it's an excuse for Fitzpatrick and Edwards as well who are both better QBs than this loser.

I will wait to see if we get a real HC and if we do than I will let him decide who the starter should be. I guarantee it's not Brohm.

Bill Cody
12-28-2009, 09:38 AM
This is analogous with being put on bread and water rations for a month and than being thrown a 3-day old hamburger.

The guy had a 43 QB rating. The sacks were not coverage sacks as I was at the game.

If the 0-line is an excuse than it's an excuse for Fitzpatrick and Edwards as well who are both better QBs than this loser.

I will wait to see if we get a real HC and if we do than I will let him decide who the starter should be. I guarantee it's not Brohm.

I'd give this post a lot less than a 43 rating.

WeAreArthurMoates
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I'd feel much better with Brian going into next year than a 2nd or 3rd pick. Brohm showed me a lot of good stuff yesterday.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2009, 09:56 AM

1. Brohm, Fitz and Edwards are not on the same starting point. Brohm has been with the team for 5 weeks and spent 3 days working with the starting line-up. If you don't think that is an issue, you have reached a new level of ineptness.

2. You have used the line all year as an excuse for Edwards. From day 1 that was why he struggled according to you. Now it is not good enough for a guy in his first start? Laughable, if it were not so sad.

3. You making a decision on Brohm after one start is pathetic and is a case of your inability to admit you were wrong about Trent. It is highly unlikely that Brohm will ever be anything more than a back-up. We already know that is all Trent and Fitz are. The guy was not horrible Sunday. Definitely not great, but he is worth another look.

Jaybird
12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I think they guy looked good. Timing was off with the wr, but that is expected. The play calling was conservative and didn't help him very much.
Most of all... HE GOT THE BALL TO THE WR!!!!!!!!!

mayotm
12-28-2009, 10:39 AM

I will wait to see if we get a real HC and if we do than I will let him decide who the starter should be. I guarantee it's not Brohm.If you are so displeased with the board, why do you continue to visit and post? Please go away. You won't be missed.

djjimkelly
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I think we should bring in a vet and let him compete with brohm for the job. Draft all power players, see what brohm can do nxt year.

couldnt agree more with that this guy unlike the last few young qbs we had here had a full 4 years playing in college in a pro system

Cleve
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Brohm vs colts, likey backups after 1st quarter.

I'd be amazed if Colts aren't playing 2nd and 3rd string even before the end of the 1st quarter - the game is now absolutely without meaning, since Colts threw away their perfect season in the middle of the 3rd quarter yesterday.

If they didn't care about the Jets with a historic season on the line, seems to me they'll care even less about the Bills. It's almost too bad that both teams can't forfeit the game - LOL. It's about as interesting as a pre-season game at this juncture.

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 10:50 AM
It's almost too bad that both teams can't forfeit the game - LOL. It's about as interesting as a pre-season game at this juncture.

Preseason is more interesting because at least in preseason your evaluating for the up coming seaosn.

This game is just going to be a painful experience that every one of us will wish it to be over with sooner that later :yucky:

TigerJ
12-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Overall, I liked what I saw of Brohm.

On the second INT, he should have thrown the ball a little more to the outside. It was a bit behind the receiver. the cornerback might have gotten it anyway, but the ball wasn't quite perfectly thrown. I didn't watch it over and over, so I didn't see whether or not he telegraphed his throw. That can make a difference too. On the first INT, he was obviously off target, but TO has a responsibility when something like that happens to start acting like a defensive back. He seemed oblivious to what was happening. Had he done his job, he may or may not have been able to prevent the interception. It was annoying that he didn't try though.

ghz in pittsburgh
12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Remember Trent's first game as a Bill? That's what Brohm reminds me of.

The composure, especially in face of a rush, someone in his face. From that perspective, I'd say at least he's not Losman.

A better arm than Trent? Maybe. Deep middle? Passable. 20 yard out pattern? Nah. Look at Ryan and Flacco, maybe that's why they were drafted way ahead of him.

The key is where he goes from here. Look no further than Trent to see how it could turn out. On the other side of the coin, I hate to bring it up but we know Tom Brady has a humble beginning. He needs to EARN the right to play on Sundays.

TheBrownBear
12-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Brohm looked like a typical post-Bledsoe era Bills QB. Sub-200 yds, ypa around 5.0, more INTs than TDs, dumped like a sack of potatoes, etc. He should fit in well here.

Cleve
12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Preseason is more interesting because at least in preseason your evaluating for the up coming seaosn.

My god - I never thought of it that way - you're right. This is even more worthless than a pre-season game. If Indy's playing their scrubs it won't even be useful to evaluate anything.

BillsFanCupp38
12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I liked his strong arm and the fact he gets the ball out quick. Nice high throwing motion. That play on that screen pass when he was able to flip is feet and get the ball out to Corey Macantire. Not bad for the guys first NFL start.

madness
12-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm still in shock that I saw a Buffalo Bills QB who not only didn't stare down his receivers straight from the snap but purposely looked off defenders to help get his WR's open.

Considering that was his first NFL start behind the worst OL in the league and the running game was non-existent, I was honestly pretty impressed. I want to see more Brohm ball.

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 10:22 AM
A better arm than Trent? Maybe. Deep middle? Passable. 20 yard out pattern? Nah. Look at Ryan and Flacco, maybe that's why they were drafted way ahead of him.

I think he can throw the 20 yard out pattern with ease. At least what I saw on Sunday I think he can. Its a matter of having time to drop back settle in and step into that throw. Something our OL doesn't give any QB time for which is why we don't make to many 20 yard out throws

Mahdi
12-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I like his arm and accuracy. I could tell before the game watching practice clips that he had wayyyy more talent than both Trent and Fitz and the game confirmed it.

The guy has all the tools physically to be a good QB. A TC battle against a draft pick would be a great place to start at solidifying the QB spot.

djjimkelly
12-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I like his arm and accuracy. I could tell before the game watching practice clips that he had wayyyy more talent than both Trent and Fitz and the game confirmed it.

The guy has all the tools physically to be a good QB. A TC battle against a draft pick would be a great place to start at solidifying the QB spot.

he has more talent then anyone here since kelly and that includes bledsoe(bledsoe no mobilty but obviously better football mind at his stage of career)

Mahdi
12-29-2009, 10:28 AM

I think the difference is that when Brohm had time he threw the ball well. When Trent had time he didn't throw or threw it to a RB for 4 yards.

No one is saying Brohm played well, but when you watch his release and the movement of the football as he throws it you can tell he has plenty to work with.

I never saw these skills in Trent so I am encouraged by what Brohm showed.