PDA

View Full Version : Question: OT Andre Ramsey

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I was in Knoxville, TN yesterday for a wedding so I was unable to watch or attend the game much to my own dismay. What little I heard on radio before I left the metro Atlanta area was ended by Jonathan Scott getting hurt (again) and Andre Ramsey coming in at LT. Now my question is this;

Glancing at the stats I know Atlanta only generated two sacks and only one of which came from the outside in which Abraham got the sack. Now did he beat Ramsey or was Scott back or was Abraham lined up against someone else?

Can anybody tell me how Ramsey looked?

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
He looked average at best. They blitzed almost every play it seemed. Who the hell is he by the way?

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
I think Abraham's sack came on a scramble by Brohm and he tackled Brohm at the LOS for a 0 yard sack.

yordad
Good question. I am interested in other's thoughts as well. I watched the game, but I honestly wasn't watching him specifically. I didn't notice any glaring mistakes, so that is a good thing.

DraftBoy
He looked average at best. They blitzed almost every play it seemed. Who the hell is he by the way?

Gave up only one sack against a top pass rushers in the league. But just average? Thats disappointing to hear. Who is Ramsey?

LT prospects who was a 4 year starter at Ball State.

Big time size at 6'5, 315lbs.

Was a big part of the reason Nate Davis was successful at Ball State. Was a 2008 ALL-MAC 1st teamer.

He's a little slow in the feet and his technique is a little raw but he provided solid protection for Davis and opened lanes for RB MiQuale Lewis as well. Not a bad pickup developmentally. Also has some OG potential.

That's for anybody who cares.

That was from another thread I posted in about him.

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Ramsey got torched a few times...

I have ot admit.. I missed when we picked him up...

but numerous times when the OL broke down I saw the name Ramsey

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Gave up only one sack against a top pass rushers in the league. But just average? Thats disappointing to hear. Who is Ramsey?

That was from another thread I posted in about him.
I will have to admit to not be focusing on him specifically but it seemed that every pass play had someone right in Brohms face.

He wasn't horrible if that is anything.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I will have to admit to not be focusing on him specifically but it seemed that every pass play had someone right in Brohms face.

He wasn't horrible if that is anything.

Better than not knowing anything. Its not like I had high hopes for the guy, just another young OT. Was curious to know if he did anything to earn more PT. At this point its all about focusing on young players talent levels and evaluating them for next season.

bigbub2352
12-28-2009, 11:06 AM
He didnt look as bad as Vet Kirk Chambers so i guess that is potential

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Chambers was pathetic

DraftBoy

I like Jarmon Meredith over Chambers at this point. Not sure why Chambers is still starting to be honest.

THATHURMANATOR
I like Jarmon Meredith over Chambers at this point. Not sure why Chambers is still starting to be honest.
Yes Meredith was adequate compared to Chambers.

Dr. Lecter
Yep, 0 yard sack:

2-8-BUF 12 (11:45) 4-B.Brohm sacked at BUF 12 for 0 yards (55-J.Abraham).

(Nfl.com)

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Yep, 0 yard sack:

2-8-BUF 12 (11:45) 4-B.Brohm sacked at BUF 12 for 0 yards (55-J.Abraham).

(Nfl.com)

So he gave up no sacks all day...wow. That's kind of impressive going against Abraham.

As for running plays to his side after Scott left;
2, 6, 1,-4, and 5. So 5 plays for a total of 10 yards of a 2.0 ypc.

He also took a 5 yard Illegal Formation Penalty.

So now I see the average comment from Thurm. Solid pass protection, but not so good run blocking. Both the 6 and 5 yard run were behind the LG, so while he played a contributing roll, he was not the main blocker being run behind.

Dr. Lecter
12-28-2009, 11:17 AM
They were also in max protect much of the game, so I am not sure how much help he got from the backs and TEs.

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 11:18 AM
It's hard to pinpoint who plays well on this OL because as a whole, they are brutal. That being said, Brohm had a ton of pressure all day long and a lot was from outside. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
They were also in max protect much of the game, so I am not sure how much help he got from the backs and TEs.

I imagined they were with Brohm back there. No telling that through reading the PBP. I just dont see the harm in letting he, Meredith, and Brohm all start next week.

Mop up duty against likely Colts backups. Could be good for all those players.

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Excellent point. This drove me nuts...Brohm only had 2 or 3 targets to look for on most downs...which will not help him look very good. On the otherhand, if they didn't max protect, he might be dead.

yordad
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
So he gave up no sacks all day...wow. That's kind of impressive going against Abraham.

As for running plays to his side after Scott left;
2, 6, 1,-4, and 5. So 5 plays for a total of 10 yards of a 2.0 ypc.

He also took a 5 yard Illegal Formation Penalty.

So now I see the average comment from Thurm. Solid pass protection, but not so good run blocking. Both the 6 and 5 yard run were behind the LG, so while he played a contributing roll, he was not the main blocker being run behind.The -4 I believe will on an ill timed reverse.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Excellent point. This drove me nuts...Brohm only had 2 or 3 targets to look for on most downs...which will not help him look very good. On the otherhand, if they didn't max protect, he might be dead.

Its tough as the HC to decide (and that's not excuse Fewell in any regard) but with a young QB who only has three days of practice even running your plays how can you only do a 5 man protection? The situation as a whole sucks.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
The -4 I believe will on an ill timed reverse.

Yes it was to TO, but its still Ramsey's job to seal off his block and allow Owens to spring outside. On that play the DE made the stop, so he lost his assignment it would appear.

bigbub2352
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Meredith for some brilliant reason was inactive, i mean we really need 7 WRs on the roster
but i completely agree Meredith will be nice depth next yr for us

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Honestly, he fit right in with Chambers, SCott, Meredith and Bell.

Terrible. Terrible.. Terrible.

But he was no worse than any of the other OT's.

Chambers is by far the worst OT on this team.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Honestly, he fit right in with Chambers, SCott, Meredith and Bell.

Terrible. Terrible.. Terrible.

But he was no worse than any of the other OT's.

Chambers is by far the worst OT on this team.

Again I dont understand your critique of Meredith you have been one of the only reputable people Ive seen be critical of him. Most have given him a passing grade and seen him make rookie mistakes but also seen him show potential flashes.

Chambers and Scott suck, Bell I need to see more of. Chambers as a starter is just sad.

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Again I dont understand your critique of Meredith you have been one of the only reputable people Ive seen be critical of him. Most have given him a passing grade and seen him make rookie mistakes but also seen him show potential flashes.

Chambers and Scott suck, Bell I need to see more of. Chambers as a starter is just sad.

Are you comparing him to the rest of our OT's or to a starting calibar NFL OT?

He cant stay on the field, he's taken stupid penalties (as has everyone else in his defense) and he's been overpowered a lot while playing.

But I'll give you this, he does have by FAR more upside than any other OT on this team, include Bell surprisingly IMO.

Meredith to me is exactly what Greg Bedard (Packers beat writer) said he was when I talked to him.. "Extremely athletic and talented, but very raw"

Bell to me is simply not STRONG enough to be any good in this league.. he reminds me exactly of that 7th rounder we had starting a few years back, what was his name? I think Terrence Pennington

TigerJ
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Excellent point. This drove me nuts...Brohm only had 2 or 3 targets to look for on most downs...which will not help him look very good. On the otherhand, if they didn't max protect, he might be dead.One of the areas where Brohm has reportedly struggled in his transition to pro football was in checking down. He reportedly didn't have to do much of that in college. In light of that, perhaps it made sense to use max protect while keeping Brohm's options to a minimum. That would simplify things for him. From the pressure he got all day, it's hard to see that there was any max protect though.

DraftBoy
12-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Are you comparing him to the rest of our OT's or to a starting calibar NFL OT?

He cant stay on the field, he's taken stupid penalties (as has everyone else in his defense) and he's been overpowered a lot while playing.

But I'll give you this, he does have by FAR more upside than any other OT on this team, include Bell surprisingly IMO.

Meredith to me is exactly what Greg Bedard (Packers beat writer) said he was when I talked to him.. "Extremely athletic and talented, but very raw"

Bell to me is simply not STRONG enough to be any good in this league.. he reminds me exactly of that 7th rounder we had starting a few years back, what was his name? I think Terrence Pennington

Comparing him to other young OT's. He's not a starter now, nor should he be. He should be a 3rd or 4th rotational tackler (because he can play both LT and RT, imo). He has a lot of growth to do in the fundamentals of the game, technique wise, scheme wise, and how to allow defenders to run themselves out of plays. He killed a South Carolina drive last year against UGA because he kept holding the end even though the end was just running right up field out of the play. His upside, imo is huge and he was a great grab. Will he pan out? Who knows but I like him as a potential starting RT next season.

As for Bell, I have to agree. He needs to be in the gym 24/7.