PDA

View Full Version : Bills catch indirect break in potential Cowher chase

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Just one of a few things that have to happen, but potentially could be a very good start.

STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/bills-catch-indirect-break-in-potential-cowher-chase/)

yordad
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Bill Cowher has publicly said he plans on returning to coaching in 2010. Conceivably the Buffalo Bills indirectly caught a break today. The Charlotte Observer reports (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/) this afternoon that Carolina head coach John Fox, along with G.M Marty Hurney and Fox’s entire coaching staff will be offered the opportunity to return to the Panthers in 2010.
According to the report, Fox will not be offered a contract extension. 2010 is the final year of his contract and he’s due $6-million.

trapezeus
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
it sounds exciting.

however, last night during the highlights, JB said something about how one team was being embarassed. The it goes to Cowher who says, "talk about embarassing, Buffalo gets beat 31-3 by the Falcons."

Just the way he said it pretty much sounded like he thought this was the most hopeless organization he'd ever saw.

baalworship
12-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Cowher is not coming here. There has been enough reports coming out that he wants a glamor job and this ain't it.

Nighthawk
I honestly believe that the Bills should do WHATEVER it takes to land Cowher. Give him as much money as it takes to get him in here and start remaking this franchise. This IS the move that would turn the perception of this franchise around to both players and media. This is a PERFECT fit for what ills this organization.

patmoran2006
Money and Power can go a long way..

Carolina was a job Cowher was STRONGLY linked too.

Of course, there is plenty, and a few places, better competition. But don't count Buffalo out, especially if Dallas keeps Phillips beyond this year, they're finally playing well in December.

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Cowher is not coming here. There has been enough reports coming out that he wants a glamor job and this ain't it.

Umm, Tampa is a glamour job??? Carolina is a glamour job??? Really???

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Carolina and Tampa are not "glamour" jobs either.

Neither is Chicago or Cleveland.

Washington, perhaps but they are going with Shanahan.

Dallas, absolutely for sure. But if they can finish well this year they might not have a vacancy.

streetkings01
12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
it sounds exciting.

however, last night during the highlights, JB said something about how one team was being embarassed. The it goes to Cowher who says, "talk about embarassing, Buffalo gets beat 31-3 by the Falcons."

Just the way he said it pretty much sounded like he thought this was the most hopeless organization he'd ever saw.Heard the same thing. It sounded like he wanted to say...."Bills lose 31-3 to the Falcons.....ouch!"

Nighthawk
Money and Power can go a long way..

Carolina was a job Cowher was STRONGLY linked too.

Of course, there is plenty, and a few places, better competition. But don't count Buffalo out, especially if Dallas keeps Phillips beyond this year, they're finally playing well in December.

There is a report on ESPN that Jones is hinting that he will keep Phillips. If that is the case, cross them off as competition.

Demon

Agreed. We didn't catch a break at all. Our big break would have been if Carolina had fired John Fox, we would hire Fox (as Peter King has mentioned and Adam Schefter just said on SC) and then bring in a Charlie Weis as OC.

All this means is, no Shanny, no Cowher and now, kiss Fox good bye too.

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 12:58 PM
There is a report on ESPN that Jones is hinting that he will keep Phillips. If that is the case, cross them off as competition.

I dont believe anything about Dallas until they win a playoff game.

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I am soooo considering a one-week billboard campaign on my site, such as that kid did earlier with Jauron.

Hey, Bills fans are influential,they practically recruited Takeo Spikes here years ago.

And from everything we've read and/or I've heard, money is NOT an issue with our next GM/Coaching decision

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 12:59 PM

I agree...thus the part where I said "if this is the case".

streetkings01
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Carolina and Tampa are not "glamour" jobs either.

Neither is Chicago or Cleveland.

Washington, perhaps but they are going with Shanahan.

Dallas, absolutely for sure. But if they can finish well this year they might not have a vacancy.Maybe he's waiting for the Houston job to open up? I dont think any coach would pass up the chance to coach that team in that city.

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I am soooo considering a one-week billboard campaign on my site, such as that kid did earlier with Jauron.

Hey, Bills fans are influential,they practically recruited Takeo Spikes here years ago.

And from everything we've read and/or I've heard, money is NOT an issue with our next GM/Coaching decision

Serously, it is an EXCELLENT idea. Fans at the Bills game on Sunday should bring signs and let Cowher know that WE want him in Buffalo. Don't underestimate the power of a strong fanbase!

baalworship
Carolina has the advantage of being a place where Cowher would want to live. There is no indication that Cowher has the mentality of someone looking for a challenge, rather he is someone looking to pick and choose the right situation.

The only coach that would consider the Bils job the right situation is somone willing to take on a real challenge. Cowher is not the guy.

patmoran2006
Maybe he's waiting for the Houston job to open up? I dont think any coach would pass up the chance to coach that team in that city.

Agreed.

After whipping Miami yesterday though and going to 8-7, maybe Kubiak doesnt get fired.

cpearl
12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Stop with the Cowher to Buffalo talk. There is NO WAY he comes here. This franchise is a disaster. Why would he ruin his legacy to come here? We will get Weis or some coordinator. Bank on it.

Bill Cody
12-28-2009, 01:09 PM

yup

justasportsfan
12-28-2009, 01:19 PM
we're so desperate that we find a break in something thats neither here nor there. :wail:

RockStar36
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Cowher is by far my top choice and has been since last season, but they still need a GM. Getting Cowher and having the same idiots in the FO won't solve anything.

Bill Cody
12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Cowher is by far my top choice and has been since last season, but they still need a GM. Getting Cowher and having the same idiots in the FO won't solve anything.

true but having Cowher might be more attractive to a top GM candidate than say Perry Fewell, no?

BillsWin
12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
That photo you used is mine! I made that last year when the Bills started to ruin their 5-1 start.

Beastie Bills
12-28-2009, 01:34 PM
So the guy who already turned us down may have one less possible destination?

Yay.

RockStar36
12-28-2009, 01:35 PM
true but having Cowher might be more attractive to a top GM candidate than say Perry Fewell, no?

Well that is obvious. I'm just stating that Cowher alone can't fix this mess and the FO still needs to be gutted.

RockStar36
12-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Yay.

Unless I'm missing something, Cowher never turned down the Bills. He has simply said that he is waiting until the end of the season out of respect for his current employer, CBS.

SquishDaFish
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM

Yay.

He didnt turn us down. He told us and everyone that he will not interview for a job during the season.

Buckets
12-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Try to follow my logic here. Tell me why a HC would want to step into a strong

organization that is full of Talent signed to large long term contracts that are not

his picks or do not fit his philosophy.

Wouldn't he rather step into a situation like the Bills where nothing is

untouchable, where everything is in a shambles and he is able to put his stamp

on the team and make his own personnel picks rather than just tweak what is

there?

yordad
12-28-2009, 01:47 PM
There is a report on ESPN that Jones is hinting that he will keep Phillips. If that is the case, cross them off as competition.He also told T. Owens he was safe.

Billz_fan
12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Bill Cowher is not going to coach the Bills in this lifetime folks. Book it. The only way he does coach here is if Ralph signs the entire team over to him. Even then, Im sure he would still take some time to think about it.

Not even to mention that we need a GM first and honestly I don't even see that happening. I hope Im wrong but we have alot of history working against us here.

baalworship
12-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Try to follow my logic here. Tell me why a HC would want to step into a strong

organization that is full of Talent signed to large long term contracts that are not

his picks or do not fit his philosophy.

Wouldn't he rather step into a situation like the Bills where nothing is

untouchable, where everything is in a shambles and he is able to put his stamp

on the team and make his own personnel picks rather than just tweak what is

there?

That's why Cowher isn't coming here. All reports from his people indicate he wants to tweak things in the best possible situation, not build a winner from scratch.

SquishDaFish
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
That's why Cowher isn't coming here. All reports from his people indicate he wants to tweak things in the best possible situation, not build a winner from scratch.

Really?? I havent heard that ANYWHERE

Pinkerton Security
12-28-2009, 02:53 PM

please show these "reports from his people", as I have not heard this whatsoever.

LtFinFan66
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
he still wants to be close to his family...Buffalo is not close to his family

Pinkerton Security
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
where is his family? pittsburgh??

baalworship
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
What's the point? The Cowher groupies will only hear what they want to hear.

All you can do is note that Cowher's name has come out in connection with several teams and the Bills have never been one of them unless you count this message board! Is every report or rumor acurate? Of course not but Cowher has connections throughout the NFL and the media and NO ONE has connected his name to this job.

Terry Bradshaw indicated he wanted the Carolina job, there's family reasons linked to that.

TigerJ
12-28-2009, 03:08 PM

No, I don't expect him too either, but as long as nobody slams the door on it, speculation is going to happen, and there's never anything wrong with speculation.

Ed
I thought Cowher said that he didn't want to coach any team that doesn't have an established QB? The Bills have one of the worst qb situations in the league and aren't even bad enough to be guaranteed a shot at one of the top 2 qb's in this weak qb draft.

Plus, it's not like Cowher is some football god. He had the good fortune of being able to coach one of the most well run organizations in all of sports. The Steelers were winners before he got there and won another championship the moment he left with a rookie HC.

Even Cowher himself probably realizes he's not all that, which is why he won't consider a challenging situation like Buffalo.

LtFinFan66
where is his family? pittsburgh??Carolina I believe

Pinkerton Security
12-28-2009, 03:11 PM
What's the point? The Cowher groupies will only hear what they want to hear.

All you can do is note that Cowher's name has come out in connection with several teams and the Bills have never been one of them unless you count this message board! Is every report or rumor acurate? Of course not but Cowher has connections throughout the NFL and the media and NO ONE has connected his name to this job.

Terry Bradshaw indicated he wanted the Carolina job, there's family reasons linked to that.

I have heard that Cowher has reportedly been linked to Carolina and thats it.

Im not saying he's coming here, in fact if I were a betting man I'd bet that he doesnt, Im just saying why not hope for the best?

jamze132
12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
If Cowher has to chose between Buffalo and a CBS studio, he's going with the studio. He will wait another year for Carolina to axe Fox and Co. and he will coach the team from his home.

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Niether is Tampa...

JJamezz
12-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Only when his name is mentioned in the same sentence as Buffalo.. Tampa, Chicago, Dallas, apparently proximity to his family goes right out the window..

(That's a slight on the media and their speculative horses**t reporting, not Cowher who contrary to popular belief has NOT made his desires known publicly..)

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM

What could be more glamorous then taking a dysfunctional organization and returning it to greatness :brush:

I think we have an outside chance. there is the chance that Ralph will pony up, and we are under the impression that a coach like Cowher could name HIS GM if he comes to Buffalo.

I sure hope so... Now we need Bills fans to start emailing and do whatever it takes to grease Cowhers wheels:zapper:

ddaryl
12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Niether is Tampa...

nor Dallas or Houston

Not saying we will hire him, or even have a shot, but wow I am shocked at the amount of fans who really choose to just give up all hope instantly....

I'd rather waste my time thinking we can, that's what the offseason is all about.. I'm already disappointed in life not hiring Cowher really wouldn't change that... However foolishly believing it could happen seems to make me feel better.

Heck people said we never get Bledsoe before we did.. and that same group was adamant about Takeo not coming here either....

Mr. Pink
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Bill Cowher will never be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Ever.

don137
12-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Cowher's family is in Raleigh which is about 3 hours give or take from Charlotte. I would not be surprised if his name surfaces for Washington since Washington is less than 5 hours from Raleigh.
I can not see why Cowher would come to Buffalo. I am not even giving him a second thought of it.

LtFinFan66
12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Only when his name is mentioned in the same sentence as Buffalo.. Tampa, Chicago, Dallas, apparently proximity to his family goes right out the window..

(That's a slight on the media and their speculative horses**t reporting, not Cowher who contrary to popular belief has NOT made his desires known publicly..)just cause his name is mentioned...doesn't mean his family goes out the window? Has he taken a job?

LtFinFan66
12-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Niether is Tampa...did he take that job?

Nighthawk
12-28-2009, 05:43 PM
did he take that job?

Did he turn down the Bills? What's your point?

JJamezz
12-28-2009, 05:50 PM
just cause his name is mentioned...doesn't mean his family goes out the window? Has he taken a job?

My point is each time I've heard Cowher mentioned in relation to the Bills it is always with the caveat that he wants to be remain near his family.. now that he's being mentioned in the same breath as some other teams, the part about him staying close to home apparently is not that big of a deal because it's hardly mentioned (if at all).

YardRat
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I think the timing of the comments need to be clarified.

The way I read it, Cowher insinuated he would return to coaching in 2010 before Carolina gave Fox and Co the vote of confidence. Given that happening, maybe today Bill's not so confident he'll be on the sidelines next season.

He isn't going to take just any job, and I would guess that Buffalo is probably on the bottom of his list below even Cleveland.

Stranger things have happened, though.

elltrain22
12-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I think he would and could be the next coach of this team if the money is right. Ralph has eluded that he is willing to spend big money on a coach, and if the dollar signs are good enough, Cowher could be persuaded to coach here. I'm sure Buffalo isn't his first choice, but if Ralph is willing to secure his financial portfolio for the rest of his life, and his childrens' lives, I'd say there's a very good chance he bites.

:pray: