PDA

View Full Version : Weiss a good choice?

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Vote in poll here (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/)

and leave a comment on this board.

I am working on a Weiss follow-up story for this week getting reaction from Bills fans.

I want to publish some of the more insightful, and probably funny responses.

Thanks!

Prov401
12-28-2009, 02:41 PM
It's funny. Usually it's the college head coaches who don't work out in the NFL.

Could it be the other way around with Weis? Is he an NFL coach, who doesn't work out in college?

I'll tell you what, professionally Weis has a very, very impessive resume'. He's been to 5 Superbowls. One with the Giants as an offensive assistant in 1991, one as a tight ends coach with the Patriots in 1996, and another 3 with the Pats as their OC. He's been under Parcells, and Belicheck. He's brought a young Brady to the Superbowl with Troy Brown, and David Patten as his top two recievers. Oh, not to mention Antoine Smith as his premiere back.

The pro resume' is there for sure. I'm not much of a college guy, but one of the main arguments is Notre Dame isn't as attractive anymore to these kids coming out of High School, as USC, UF, Alabama, OK, etc. Maybe he just couldn't quite convince some of the top tier athletes to come to ND. I'm not against Weis becoming our HC, as long as we get a good GM to go with him.

Hell, maybe we can get Crennel in here as DC if Weis is hired.

TrEd FTW
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Not to be an ass, but if you want to write a story about Weis, you should probably learn to spell his last name.

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
lol sorry i just slapped that on

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm just at odds with people who want Gruden or Billick over Charlie Weis, I just don't understand it. Both of these guys won because of their defenses, not their offenses. Charlie Weis has helped QBs like Tom Brady, Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen develop, his resume as an offensive guru is FAR more credible than any other name on the market. If Shanahan, Fox & Cowher are off limits, then we need to take a long hard look at Weis, especially if we want a solid QB here in the next millennium.

Prov401
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm just at odds with people who want Gruden or Billick over Charlie Weis, I just don't understand it. Both of these guys won because of their defenses, not their offenses. Charlie Weis has helped QBs like Tom Brady, Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen develop, his resume as an offensive guru is FAR more credible than any other name on the market. If Shanahan, Fox & Cowher are off limits, then we need to take a long hard look at Weis, especially if we want a solid QB here in the next millennium.

Agreed, to an extent. I mean, the guy has definitley worked with some great QB's...In the pro's. Simms, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Brady. That's not a schabby group, and he coached with them while they were all at their bests. However, he hasn't developed a QB out of college. Quinn has greatly disappointed, and Calusen will be another gamble IMO.

TheBrownBear
12-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I honestly think this might be the guy we end up with. I couldn't tell you if that's a good or bad thing. Nobody's been successful at Notre Dame since Holtz, so maybe some of Weis' failings can be attributed to the school and athletic program.

At least we'd have a guy capable of grooming a young QB and building an offense. I'd take him in a hot minute over Mike Martz. A guy who runs an offense that would be sure to fail in the Buffalo winter.

BILLSROCK1212
12-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Agreed, to an extent. I mean, the guy has definitley worked with some great QB's...In the pro's. Simms, Bledsoe, Testeverde, and Brady. That's not a schabby group, and he coached with them while they were all at their bests. However, he hasn't developed a QB out of college. Quinn has greatly disappointed, and Calusen will be another gamble IMO.
Brady...right out of college

Prov401
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Brady...right out of college

Brady sat behind Bledsoe in 2000.

don137
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I would like wise if he could bring someone like Crennel in as defensive coordinator due to Weis's history of not working on the defensive side of the football based on feedback from ND fans.

One has to wonder if Quinn being away from Weis has had an adverse affect on his development.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
wow, 38% said yes?

So sad.

Commissioner
12-28-2009, 06:03 PM
wow, 38% said yes?

So sad.

Weis is a great coach... just not a great college recruiter.

If we get a good football guy to run the football department, Weis would be a good fit.

TigerJ
12-28-2009, 06:28 PM
As I understand, one of Weis' shortcomings as coach of Notre Dame was that he paid too little attention to what was happening on the defensive side of the team. If I am the GM of the Bills, or whoever does this hiring, some of the first few questions I ask him in the interview are:

Who do you think you can get in here as defensive coordinator? and

What kind of defense do you anticipate running here, and how do you anticipate getting the personnel to run it effectively.

mikemac2001
12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I just want a 3-4 defense