PDA

View Full Version : Good thing Fitz will start?

homeslice5484
12-28-2009, 06:28 PM
I think that is a good move. Not because Fitz is great, but because I do not trust this staff to develop a QB or put a young QB in a position to succeed, as we have seen numerous times, most recently last week.

They showed zero confidence in him, which should not have been the case in a game which meant zero to playoff hopes.

Not only that, but we should and better have an entirely new staff next season so why would we want Brohm to learn this offense which stinks to begin with, and have to learn a new one next season? I have a feeling that might be why they did not want him to play this season anyways.

As much as I do not like Edwards and believe Fitz is nothing but a backup, I am ok with Brohm taking the back seat for the last game. What he does with this offseason and next preseason will say a lot about his future here, not this Sunday.

TigerJ
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
The Bills have pretty much the same offensive plays in their offense that any other team has. The Bills fell short on offense because:

They had a beginner at offensive coordinator who had not time before the season started to really consider what he had to work with and what might be effective.

They had a train wreck of an offensive line. It was inexperienced to begin with and things only got worse as injuries began to mount.

They didn't have a QB who deserved to start. Edwards seemed to absorb Dick Jauron's hyperconservative mentality and Fitzpatrick is not consistently accurate enough to be effective as a starter.

I don't think it matters much who plays the last game. We got a look at what Brohm can do. I don't think playing Sunday will help or hurt him much. The only thing riding on the game is draft position, and the results of the game probably won't move the Bills in the draft that much.

yordad
12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I think it would have been best to start Brohm and give him a vote of confidence.

yordad
12-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Besides, I'm not so convinced Fitz will be "healthy" enough to start.

Philagape
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
There is no logic in the line of thinking that says they should withhold players because the rest of the offense is a mess.
This is the NFL. **** happens. A player who can't deal with adversity shouldn't be in the league. A player should never be coddled.
Brohm started out shaky but dealt with the crap around him better as the game went along. He showed, at the very least, that he can handle being out there.
Just the fact that they signed him says they have confidence in him. When the offense is crap, then the responsibility is on him to deal with that. That takes a lot of trust.
He's a grown-up pro, treat him like one.

mybills
12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Brohm started out shaky but dealt with the crap around him better as the game went along.
This is the second time I read something like this. When did that happen, in the 4th quarter? Because we left at the end of the 3rd and I wasn't impressed much. Watching him wasn't much different from watching Fitz. :idunno:

Typ0
12-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Brohm started out shaky but dealt with the crap around him better as the game went along.
This is the second time I read something like this. When did that happen, in the 4th quarter? Because we left at the end of the 3rd and I wasn't impressed much. Watching him wasn't much different from watching Fitz. :idunno:

people say those things because they are desparate. Brohm looked just as bad as any other QB we've had back there this season but it's easier to give him a pass because he's still at the beginning of his "work in process" development.

I did think there were things there to indicate he might grow into the position quite nicely...but he's not going to do it in two weeks and what about the rest of the guys on the squad? You don't just tell them they are all worth crap so you can start someone who isn't ready to do what they can do yet.

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Watching him wasn't much different from watching Fitz. :idunno:

Fitz multipe years experience..

Brohm 1st pro game ever

I guess this depends on what you were expecting from Brohm. I expected him to look bad behind this OL and with this O in general.. but what I was looking forward to is how he handled pressure. How he got rid of the ball, and the throws he attempted.

He showed arm for all the throws, and I thought he did well sensing pressure.
His accuracy needs work, and he needs to get a full offseaosn of work in with the O before I expect him to look much better

All ini all the game experience is something he can grow with going into next year IMO

Typ0
12-29-2009, 08:07 AM
The problem is it's about the QB getting the offense into the right plays not how hard he throws the ball. The physical tools only become very beneficial when the QB is running the offense well. Brohm has little chance of running the offense well at this stage.

Brohm 1st pro game ever

I guess this depends on what you were expecting from Brohm. I expected him to look bad behind this OL and with this O in general.. but what I was looking forward to is how he handled pressure. How he got rid of the ball, and the throws he attemted.

His accuracy needs work, and he needs ot get a full offseaosn of work in with the O before I expect him to look much better

All ini all the game experience is something he can grow with going into next year IMO

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 08:10 AM
The problem is it's about the QB getting the offense into the right plays not how hard he throws the ball. The physical tools only become very beneficial when the QB is running the offense well. Brohm has little chance of running the offense well at this stage.

Of course... that is very true. I think you read into my statement too much. I just wanted ot see if he had the arm to make the throws.

It's the game experience that will give him things to work on for next year and which I feel will have him better able to prepare for next year.

No QB in this league is going to run our O well... I think we've proven that the last few years. I would like to see Brohm on Sunday just to see how much 1 game of action did to better prepare him for his next gig...

trapezeus
12-29-2009, 08:14 AM
all three QB's look exactly the same behind this line. They have zero idea where the floodgates are going to open, but they know its going to open.

Then they have Evans who is hardly a number 1 and owens who may or may not be trying running routes.

The QB has 3 seconds for one look and he most likely isn't going to be setting up to throw.

They have no sense of rhythm back there. keep putting QB's back there and expecting some different result is beyond madness. The line needs to be fixed badly. If this means they need to get quality FA's in and draft in the top 10 for a LT, that's what its going to take.

FredJackson can't run back there. Are we to believe he sucks now?Imagine what kind of season he'd have had if he consistently got decent blocking?

Brohm is a young kid who can make the 10-15 yard pass accurately and quickly. Edwards proved he can not. Fitz proves that he takes too long to load it up. So brohm gets a higher mark there. but otherwise, everyone performs the same. its not because they all are so woefully bad. The line and the coaching is terrible.

Jan Reimers
12-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally, I was against Brohm starting any game this year. But since he survived his first start and showed some flashes of promise, I'd start him again. It will at least give him a little more experience toward next year, and show that the Bills have some confidence in him.

It really doesn't make much difference, but since we know exactly what Fitz brings to the table, why not start the new guy?

mybills
12-29-2009, 08:35 AM
The problem is it's about the QB getting the offense into the right plays.

Brohm has little chance of running the offense well at this stage.
That's kind of what I'm saying. He didn't do anything that different, and that's a good reason why, but it's not like he never QB'd before. I think we're gonna be stuck with another mediocre QB. I think a real star would shine no matter what kind of crappy line is around him. Or maybe OpIv's pessimism is just rubbing off on me.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Has it been officially annouced that Fitz is starting?

Typ0
12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
a good QB would at least run the right plays and none of these guys have been able to do that. Keep Brohm in there and you are just going to turn him into another TE looking at the checkdown all the time because the right offense is not being called and the line is swiss cheese.

That's kind of what I'm saying. He didn't do anything that different, and that's a good reason why, but it's not like he never QB'd before. I think we're gonna be stuck with another mediocre QB. I think a real star would shine no matter what kind of crappy line is around him. Or maybe OpIv's pessimism is just rubbing off on me.

yordad
12-29-2009, 10:00 AM
The problem is it's about the QB getting the offense into the right plays not how hard he throws the ball. The physical tools only become very beneficial when the QB is running the offense well. Brohm has little chance of running the offense well at this stage.Yet, he did it as well as our other QBs. Get it?

Mr. Pink
12-29-2009, 10:09 AM

WOW, I thanked a Mybills post. END OF THE WORLD STUFF!

Patti was right. Uh oh.

Seriously though, what she said is true. A real star would shine no matter what crappy line he has in front of him.

Look at Aaron Rodgers in GB or Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh.

Neither the Packers nor the Steelers have good o-lines and those two guys flourish.

Hell Big Ben was sacked 6 times against GB and still threw for 500 yards.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I guess the 43 QB rating didn't impress anyone at OBD either.

jamze132
12-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I think Brohm should get the start. Chances are that Brandon and Co. will be in the fold in some capacity next year and it's in their best interest to see to it that Brohm gets another game under his belt.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for Fitxpatrick to start this game.

I would love to see the Bills keep Brohm in the fold. There is no reason to draft a project if we already ahve Brohm. There are very few vets that will be available in the offseason and I'm not sold on any QB from this class, so it would appear that bringing in a vet stop gap would be the way to go. That way you could let the vet and Brohm take most of the pre-season snaps. I wouldn't mind a trade either for an established vet but I'm not sure if any other club would even listen to an offer.

Typ0
12-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Yet, he did it as well as our other QBs. Get it?

he did? He was horrible. You have no way of knowing what packages the sidelines sent in and how they were executed on the field.

yordad
12-30-2009, 11:17 AM
he did? He was horrible. You have no way of knowing what packages the sidelines sent in and how they were executed on the field.Typo, you do realize about 3% of Bills fans share your opinion on this and about 97% disagree, right?

yordad
12-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I guess the 43 QB rating didn't impress anyone at OBD either.There is no such thing as a QB rating in the NFL.

Typ0
12-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Typo, you do realize about 3% of Bills fans share your opinion on this and about 97% disagree, right?

No, what they think Brohm was good? Goes to show you how wrong 97% of bills fans can be I guess.

Spiderweb
12-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Brohm 1st pro game ever

I guess this depends on what you were expecting from Brohm. I expected him to look bad behind this OL and with this O in general.. but what I was looking forward to is how he handled pressure. How he got rid of the ball, and the throws he attempted.

His accuracy needs work, and he needs to get a full offseaosn of work in with the O before I expect him to look much better

All in all, it's not like Fitz set the world a fire, and he had many opportunities this this year to do so. Fitz is little more than a tease. One likes his ability to beat the rush and gain some yards with his legs. One likes the "guts" he shows out on the field. Yet, for crying out loud, he's darn near the biggest scatter shot passr (thrower?) we've seen since those glorious days of Joe Dufek, Bruce Mathison, etc.