PDA

View Full Version : Bill Polian in trouble in Indy?

Demon
12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
As it turns out, Colts coach Jim Caldwell wasn't the only guy taking heat for the ill-advised decision to throw back a chance at perfection like a fish not big enough to be a "keeper."

Team president Bill Polian has been getting hammered, too. And he faced the wrath of Colts fans during his Monday radio show.

And as pointed out by the folks at StampedeBlue.com, the one-hour program abruptly ended with 10 minutes to go (http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/12/28/1222925/bill-polian-called-out-by-colts), just as a caller had Polian on the run regarding Polian's position that injured starters shouldn't play in a meaningless game. The caller correctly explained that the decision to remove quarterback Peyton Manning (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493) and other healthy players had nothing to do with injuries.

At that point, the show went dead.

As StampedeBlue.com aptly puts it, "[J]ust like pulling the starters Sunday, Bill Polian seemed to pull himself out of the show early to avoid further injury."

Per the blog, Polian was "rude" throughout the show to callers who took exception with the decision not to go for the win.

Link- http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/28/plug-gets-pulled-early-on-polians-weekly-radio-show/

Looks like he may not be able to handle the heat.

T-Long
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I read that earlier, and I truly never thought he had such a bad rep around the NFL for being a jerk. Maybe Ralph isn't all to blame for Polian leaving, he may have worn out his welcome.

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Honestly, if it were Polian who made that decision, he overstepped his grounds, he shouldn't be fired but he shouldn't have done it. Players want to win, if the Colts could have gone undefeated, these guys would of had that to hang their hat on for the rest of their lives. It isn't about injuries to these players, they play to be the best at what they do, anybody with a competitive bone in their body understands that.

OpIv37
12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
these ****ers are 14-1 and have something like 5 or 6 straight seasons with double digit wins.

These fans need to just STFU already.

New Ro's Greatest
12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't believe the Colts fans are acting like this! Try not going to the playoffs for a decade like we have! Screw 16-0 the only thing that matters is the ring period! GO BILLS:yucky:

ChristopherWalken
12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I really wouldn't care if Polian killed kittens for sick amusement. Best GM in th hsistory of the game IMO.

Colts fans need to StFU.

realdealryan
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
You guys have no idea how bad things are. Everything is just ***** ***** ***** and "we should get a refund" and "you play to win and this undermines the game" and the whole 9 yards. I swear they are going to burn this town to the ground when 18 retires.

I tried to remind them that the offense they saw on Sunday would be their playoff offense if Peyton gets hurt in a meaningless game.

I tried to remind them that they just rattled off 23 straight wins and consistently field one of the best teams in the NFL.

I tried to remind them that other teams can't expect 12-14 wins each year and can only pray for playoffs.

I tried to remind them that they could be Bills fans.

I tried to remind them that Polian said that if there is nothing to gain, starters will sit. He said it on his radio show. They do it every year.

AND THEY STILL WANT A PARTIAL REFUND FOR SUNDAY'S GAME.

yordad
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
The caller correctly explained that the decision to remove quarterback Peyton Manning (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1493) and other healthy players had nothing to do with injuries.Then what did it have to do with? What am I missing?

PECKERWOOD
12-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Come on GUYS, this is ******ed. I've played on a couple undefeated teams in my pewee years, and let me tell you, if it were on a professional level, then WOWEEE, that would be amazing. ^_^

Just picture what the pros are playing for, going UNDEFEATED MEANS ALOT.

Typ0
12-28-2009, 10:22 PM
I do see the fans point about the refunds even though it's the teams right to sit their players. People paid full price for tickets and were excited about rooting the team on to being undefeated. The organization did not come through and sat key players. If only 65 percent of the team played then they should only charge 65 percent full ticket price.

Mr. Pink
12-28-2009, 10:46 PM
If they want a partial refund for Sunday, Bills fans should demand a full refund for the past 5 years.

That Colts team that was out on the field in the 4th quarter was as good as the team we field every Sunday.

Devin
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
these ****ers are 14-1 and have something like 5 or 6 straight seasons with double digit wins.

Couldn't have said it better. The man is the best talent evaluator.......ever. He builds championship calibur teams at will. He can pretty much say or do whatever the he'll he wants. He isn't going anywhere.

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
I read that earlier, and I truly never thought he had such a bad rep around the NFL for being a jerk. Maybe Ralph isn't all to blame for Polian leaving, he may have worn out his welcome.

no. Ralph is all to blame

Would you rather have a jerk who wins or a nice guy that losses.

I've met Polian at UB stuff several times in recent years and he's always come across as a nice guy to me.

he hated Ralph's meddling daughter, and everyone knows that is what led to the blow up

Commissioner
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM

Exactly.... so if you are used to winning that much... what's the next best thing?

PERFECTION!!!

Everyone knows what the 72 Dolphins did in history... why not make some of your own.

I hope Peyton Manning twists his ankle rolling out of bed before their 1st playoff game. Karma's beotch.

Billz_fan
12-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Well if they win the SB then everything will be good again. No more heat. If they don't win the SB then everyone is going to point to this moment in time when they powers that be removed the momentum, the edge, the rythm or whatever you want to call it from the team. The heat will increase.

Should be fun to watch it play out ;)

patmoran2006
12-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Well if they win the SB then everything will be good again. No more heat. If they don't win the SB then everyone is going to point to this moment in time when they powers that be removed the momentum, the edge, the rythm or whatever you want to call it from the team. The heat will increase.

Should be fun to watch it play out ;)
I wouldnt say Super Bowl, Not sure I'd even say AFC Championship.

But if they come out flat and lose divisional round of playoffs to say NE or Cinci, then yes, absolutely heat will mount for resting them.

But if they smack NE or Cinci (for example) and then go on to lose AFC Championship game, cant blame it on the extra rest and rust.

Only the first playoff game ya can, IMO

TrEd FTW
12-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Complaining about Bill Polian is like slapping God across the face for giving your football team a gorgeous gift.

Michael82
12-29-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm sorry, but a bunch of you are hypocrits. Sure our team sucks right now, but if it was the other way around and the Bills were chasing perfection and looking to knock the Patriots off their pedestal, many here would be pissed for the team choosing to bench all their star players when they had a 15-10 lead. I know I would have been booing. A perfect season is not as good as a Super Bowl ring, but it puts your names in the history books and is so unique that it's worth going for, if u really can.

Historian
12-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Hope they fire him.

Ill take him back in a heartbeat.

Night Train
12-29-2009, 05:09 AM

Agreed. The priority is to stay healthy for meaningful games, go deep into the playoffs and win the SB.

Hell, the Cards went 9-7 last year, barely making the playoffs and almost won the SB.

Typ0
12-29-2009, 05:16 AM
If they want a partial refund for Sunday, Bills fans should demand a full refund for the past 5 years.

That Colts team that was out on the field in the 4th quarter was as good as the team we field every Sunday.

The difference is the Bills fans bought tickets with the knowledge that the team sucks. Colts fans are buying tickets to see Manning...

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Come on GUYS, this is ******ed. I've played on a couple undefeated teams in my pewee years, and let me tell you, if it were on a professional level, then WOWEEE, that would be amazing. ^_^

Just picture what the pros are playing for, going UNDEFEATED MEANS ALOT.

It sure does mean alot, but Superbowl appearances and wins trumps undefeated seasons.

Furthermore, Colts fans need to STFU and enjoy there run

realdealryan
12-29-2009, 07:18 AM
The difference is the Bills fans bought tickets with the knowledge that the team sucks. Colts fans are buying tickets to see Manning...

...but with the knowledge that he won't play the whole game. Polian was clear about this weeks ago and Colts fans are used to week 17 games with hardly a starter playing.

All they did was go in hoping for a win - they were promised nothing.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Bill Polian and Bill Bellichek are two people that get ripped if they tie their shoes funny.

Last I looked they both have Super Bowl wins and many trips to the big game.

If the Colts don't want him I'll take Polian back in a heart beat. It's much to do about nothing.

Typ0
12-29-2009, 08:53 AM
...but with the knowledge that he won't play the whole game. Polian was clear about this weeks ago and Colts fans are used to week 17 games with hardly a starter playing.

All they did was go in hoping for a win - they were promised nothing.

I'm talking more in general in the practice of the NFL. People buy tickets before the season ever starts. Fans of the Bills bought tickets to see a crappy team and fans of the Colts bought tickets to see Manning. Heck, there are even going to be people at the stadium this week that bought tickets to see the Colts and they are going to see a stripped down version...they probably won't even show up. It's sad that this is the practice of the NFL. I understand it because that's the way the system is built. You also have to pay full price to see preseason crap. The system should change.

Night Train
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I believe the Colts have won at least 12 games the last 7 years.

To call him up on a talk radio show and give him crap speaks volumes about the IQ of many football fans.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:55 AM

To call him up on a talk radio show and give him crap speaks volumes about the IQ of many football fans.

Couldn't agree more.

Ingtar33
12-29-2009, 09:08 AM

yep. i'm surprised Polian didn't call them all out as spoiled brats.

Cleve
12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Hope they fire him.

Ill take him back in a heartbeat.

Yeah, we should all chip together and pay for a "Fire Polian!" billboard on the Indy freeway. :xmas:

justasportsfan
12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm sorry, but a bunch of you are hypocrits. Sure our team sucks right now, but if it was the other way around and the Bills were chasing perfection and looking to knock the Patriots off their pedestal, many here would be pissed for the team choosing to bench all their star players when they had a 15-10 lead. I know I would have been booing. A perfect season is not as good as a Super Bowl ring, but it puts your names in the history books and is so unique that it's worth going for, if u really can.
Not me. It's about winning the sb especially for a bills fan. I'd be pissed if the bills went 16-0 but lost the sb. WE've been there 4 consecutive times and while that is a record in itself, I would trade that record for 1 sb ring.

If Manning went down to injury then the fans will be screaming for Polians head. Damned if they do damned if they don't. There's not glory in going 16-0 only to lose the sb. Ask the pats.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, we should all chip together and pay for a "Fire Polian!" billboard on the Indy freeway. :xmas:

If we could get Polian back in Buffalo I'd write the check for that Billboard in a heartbeat.

trapezeus
12-29-2009, 11:00 AM
we have to figure a way to spin this to our advantage. we need to get Jim Irsay's daughter to start talking to Bill about what she would have done in last weeks game. She'll have to keep repeating that she would have kept Manning in and that being perfect is important to the family. Hopefully polian snaps, calls her the B word and get fired.

then we set up a random bump in with Ralph and Bill, they watch film from the 90's together, and rekindle their old relationship. Bill is hired, the rest writes itself.

To get Irsay's daughter to do this, I am offering $10MM a year plus ownership.

Let's get this done.

Historian
12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall:

"Ralph...when I called your dead daughter a *****, I meant it as a term of endearment. Just ask Shelby Higgins of the Billszone....she'll tell ya'"

DraftBoy
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Polian has an ego, without a doubt, but in this case he has every right to do what he did.

Do I think pulling players is a good idea, when you already have a bye week sewed up? No I dont, but that's his call and no caller is qualified to question that decision, not when it comes from Polian.