PDA

View Full Version : Why not a "Shottenheimer for Coach" Billboard?!?

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Marty ball is what this team needs.

Anything else is going to be a train wreck.

This guy is a proven winner.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
I would love me some Marty Ball.

Get the movement going HH.

Ebenezer
Let the dead rest. Even Shottz has said he has no interest in coaching again.

Typ0
Because he doesn't want to be a coach.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Proven winner?

How many Super Bowls has he coached in?

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Because he doesn't want to be a coach.

That's what Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells said also.

Typ0
12-29-2009, 08:58 AM
That's what Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells said.

those guys decided to come out of retirement and look for a job. MS said he doesn't want to coach.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Proven winner?

We need someone who can coach up a team. Yes, Marty's record in the playoffs is well known but the guy wins games. How many wins do we have this decade??

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 09:00 AM
those guys decided to come out of retirement and look for a job. MS said he doesn't want to coach.

They both said they weren't until they did.

Marty needs the right offer.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2009, 09:01 AM
So start the billboard movement then HH.

Typ0
12-29-2009, 09:02 AM
They both said they weren't until they did.

Marty needs the right offer.

I would love to have MS here...but his head and heart would need to be in it too.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Poeple I want Marty Shottenheimer. That has been my choice from day one and nothing has changed. I posted the Cowher thread as an FYI. Don't shoot the messenger.

Would I be happy with Cowher? Hell yes. Do I beleieve Cowher has any chance of coming here? No.

I think Marty could be convinced to come out of retiremnet for the right offer/opportunity. I beleive he is our most realistic shot at a getting a proven guy in here.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
HH what is the progress on getting that billboard going?

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:20 AM
HH what is the progress on getting that billboard going?

Depends. I went online today to see if marty had even hinted at coming out of retirement, etc.

Does anyone know how much the last BB cost??

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
I think it was a couple grand.

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Proven winner?

A career 5 - 13 in the palyoffs in 13 playoff appearances over 21 years. 5 of those playoff losses came in 5 Wild card games, 7 times he entered the playoffs as the wildcard team

never made it to the SB

Bills eliminated him twice

Still better then anything we've witnessed this last 10 years

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:36 AM
A career 5 - 13 in the palyoffs in 13 playoff appearances over 21 years. 5 of those playoff losses came in 5 Wild card games, 7 times he entered the playoffs as the wildcard team

never made it to the SB

Bills eliminated him twice

Still better then anything we've witnessed this last 10 years

If you were starting a list of canidates would he not be in the top 3?

ddaryl
12-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Not sure... We almost have no choice but to want him because we might not have many "winner HC with experience" options

but all that is moot because he is retired and likes it that way

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2009, 10:44 AM

No.

As has been pointed out numerous times, hiring the biggest name is not always the right move.

Jim Caldwell was not a "Proven winner". Neither was Mike Tomilin. Nor was Cowher when he was originally hired. Or Mike Smith in Atlanta. Or Tony Sparano. Or Brad Childress. Or Andy Reid. Or John Harbaugh. Or Sean Payton. Or Marvin Lewis. Or Ken Wisenhunt. Or Mike McCarthy.

Bill Belichick, Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were retreads with no great record when they were hired.

So hiring a guy with a great history is not a magical path to success.

But if you insist on that route, take a guy who has won in the playoffs like Shanahan, Cowher or Billick. Not somebody who craps the bed in January.

Get a great football mind in here and the coaching problem will partially solve itself.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
No.

As has been pointed out numerous times, hiring the biggest name is not always the right move.

Jim Caldwell was not a "Proven winner". Neither was Mike Tomilin. Nor was Cowher when he was originally hired. Or Mike Smith in Atlanta. Or Tony Sparano. Or Brad Childress. Or Andy Reid. Or John Harbaugh. Or Sean Payton. Or Marvin Lewis. Or Ken Wisenhunt. Or Mike McCarthy.

Bill Belichick, Norv Turner and Wade Phillips were retreads with no great record when they were hired.

So hiring a guy with a great history is not a magical path to success.

But if you insist on that route, take a guy who has won in the playoffs like Shanahan, Cowher or Billick. Not somebody who craps the bed in January.

Get a great football mind in here and the coaching problem will partially solve itself.

I do not trust anyone in this organization to pick out an up and coming coordinator. A proven guy at least mitigates our chance for disaster.

Mike Martz would be another strong canidate although I think Marty is way more talenetd as an all around coach.

Nolan and Singletary were both praised as the next great wonders of the NFL and both have done nothing to impress.

DraftBoy
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
We need someone who can coach up a team. Yes, Marty's record in the playoffs is well known but the guy wins games. How many wins do we have this decade??

Well you can be happy with wins, personally I want titles and that's something Marty has shown countless times he has a serious issue obtaining.

DraftBoy
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I do not trust anyone in this organization to pick out an up and coming coordinator. A proven guy at least mitigates our chance for disaster.

Mike Martz would be another strong canidate although I think Marty is way more talenetd as an all around coach.

Nolan and Singletary were both praised as the next great wonders of the NFL and both have done nothing to impress.

No nothing too impressive, San Francisco is only relevant for the first time in a while and he's turned Alex Smith who everybody thought was a horrible bust into a decent NFL QB. But no nothing impressive at all...

trapezeus
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
why we shouldn't put a billboard together? Because once Marty gets us to the playoffs, we won't go anywhere and then we'll need to get another billboard to get a new coach.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
No nothing too impressive, San Francisco is only relevant for the first time in a while and he's turned Alex Smith who everybody thought was a horrible bust into a decent NFL QB. But no nothing impressive at all...

Again, do you trust this FO to bring in a first time head coach?

DraftBoy
12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Again, do you trust this FO to bring in a first time head coach?

Nope, but I also don't trust somebody to talk about coaches who thinks Mike Singletary hasn't done anything in SF yet either.