Unfair to other AFC teams what the colts did.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsOwnAll
    My IQ Test results came back negative
    • Oct 2002

Unfair to other AFC teams what the colts did.

I know its not bills related but i want to get everyone's opinion on this. With the AFC playoff race tight as it is. I think its unfair to the other teams that the colts were winning then seemingly didn't try to win. Just think if the bills were one of the teams that needed the jets to lose. It would piss everyone off. I don't know what kinda rules you could make for this but in shear respect for the game you should never not try in a meaningful game.

Thoughts?
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Unfair to other AFC teams what the colts did.

this is why it's important that you control your own destiny instead of needing help from other teams. If the bills needed a colts win to back up into the playoffs, then we don't deserve to be in it to begin with.

What is important to other teams is no importance to the colts. Their goal is to win the sb and everyone else can watch them win it.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• mikemac2001
      is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
      • Mar 2003

the point is

You play to win the game if they were worried about peyton getting hurt don't even play him

MUCK
      FIAMI

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
        My IQ Test results came back negative
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        this is why it's important that you control your own future instead of needing help from other teams. If the bills needed a colts win to back up into the playoffs, then we don't deserve to be in it to begin with.

That is a good point but it still would piss people off to see a team not trying out there agaisnt a team you need to lose.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mikemac2001
          the point is

You play to win the game if they were worried about peyton getting hurt don't even play him
          whose to say they weren't trying to win the game with their back ups?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

Disagree. The team's first priority is to the team, not to everyone else. The Colts should do what they think is in the best interest of the Colts trying to win a Super Bowl. Whether or not what they did actually accomplished that is another question...
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Coach Sal
              • Aug 2006

The Bills were in the same position a couple times and once Marv Levy was told the same thing by someone.

His response (paraphrasing):
              "We have no obligation to any team but ourselves. We earned the right to play it however we want. We can't worry about what any other team wants or needs."

I agree 100%. Imagine of Jim Kelly got hurt and Marv said, "yeah, we played him because we wanted to make sure it was fair for the rest of the teams fighting for playoff spots."
              Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
              And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                the point is

The game they are playing to win is the Super Bowl. Can't do that if Peyton blows out a knee.

It's a less than 1% chance, but why risk it? The on ly reason I would have played starters longer is to placate my paying audience. Those in the Dome at Indy are the only ones I feel bad for- paying top dollar to see an exhibition game. If it was a road game, Id sit them myself.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                  is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  whose to say they weren't trying to win the game with their back ups?

colts had a better chance to win with me at qb

MUCK
                  FIAMI

Comment

• RockStar36
                    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                    • Sep 2004

To the main point of the thread, the Colts did this a few years back (if I remember correctly) and hosed the Browns out of a playoff spot.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                      The Bills were in the same position a couple times and once Marv Levy was told the same thing by someone.

His response (paraphrasing):
                      "We have no obligation to any team but ourselves. We earned the right to play it however we want. We can't worry about what any other team wants or needs."

I agree 100%. Imagine of Jim Kelly got hurt and Marv said, "yeah, we played him because we wanted to make sure it was fair for the rest of the teams fighting for playoff spots."

Remember the final game of 1992? Kelly got knocked out of that one and he sat for a couple of playoff games. Indy doesn't have a Frank Reich to rely on

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
                        To the main point of the thread, the Colts did this a few years back (if I remember correctly) and hosed the Browns out of a playoff spot.
                        I'm sure the Browns hosed themselves. Win 11 games and you don't have to worry about someone hosing you out of the playoffs

Comment

• RockStar36
                          Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          I'm sure the Browns hosed themselves. Win 11 games and you don't have to worry about someone hosing you out of the playoffs
                          True. Just making the point that this has happened before.

I would normally slightly agree with the Colts resting, but not this time. They pulled a real chicken **** move on Sunday.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

If the Browns won in week 16 against the Bengals that year they wouldn't have needed a Titans loss to the Colts in week 17.

It also would have rendered their week 17 matchup, that they won, vs the Niners meaningless.

The Browns lost on an tiebreaker, conference record i believe, to the Titans.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

It goes the other way too. A team eliminated from the playoffs playing backups and getting smoked impacts playoff races too.

Lots of people on this board, regardless if Fitz or Edwards were healthy or not were clamoring to put in Brian Brohm.

Or when your team stinks, and you want them to sandbag for a higher draft pick. That stinks even more than what people claim Indy did

Comment

Working...
                              X