PDA

View Full Version : Per Buffalo News...Mark Gaughan...GM first, then HC

Nighthawk
12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
This is very good to hear and should make most feel more confident that maybe, just maybe, this organization gets it.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2009/12/gm-first-coach-second.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

Luisito23
12-29-2009, 12:59 PM
They only "get it" if they hire a competent GM Nighthawk.

trapezeus
12-29-2009, 01:00 PM
the comments are pretty funny on this article.

I wish we'd get to the bottom of it and hear about this GM in a week or so. "the waiting drove me mad"

madness
12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
They only "get it" if they hire a competent GM Nighthawk.

GD! That's the first time a missed comma almost gave me a heart attack.

:jk:

Luisito23
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
GD! That's the first time a missed comma almost gave me a heart attack.

:jk:

:funny: ....I don't even know why I put it there. :rain:

jimbohastle51
12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
the only thing this means is that we are NOT getting an A list coach and a coordinator or another loser will be coming in to coach. no way a GM would want a coach like cowher, because they would have to surrender almost all there power. if true this is actually sad. it means 10-12 million a year and part ownership couldnt talk shannahan, cowher, or holmgren into coaching here. what exactly does that say about our team and city accept for UNATTRACTIVE!!!

Demon
12-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Maybe after this whole mess in Indy, Bill Polian will leave and return home? lol

Demon
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
the only thing this means is that we are NOT getting an A list coach and a coordinator or another loser will be coming in to coach.

Not sure if you've been under a rock but it doesn't appear any of the "A list" coaches will even consider us. I'm OK with hiring a second tier coach if they get a proven general manager.

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
This is easily the most positive thing I've read in terms of the Bills searching for a coach or GM.

As much as I want Cowher in Buffalo, hiring him and leaving the same FO in charge will do nothing at all. Hiring a good GM and FO staff is the most important thing right now.

Don't Panic
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
the only thing this means is that we are NOT getting an A list coach and a coordinator or another loser will be coming in to coach. no way a GM would want a coach like cowher, because they would have to surrender almost all there power. if true this is actually sad. it means 10-12 million a year and part ownership couldnt talk shannahan, cowher, or holmgren into coaching here. what exactly does that say about our team and city accept for UNATTRACTIVE!!!

If there was a chance it was Cowher, it would have to be with total control... he would have all personnel decisions and Brandon would go back to running the business side of the Bills. Cowher would effectively be the GM.

HHURRICANE
12-29-2009, 01:16 PM
No "real" coach is coming here with Russ Brandon in charge. A real GM probably get's us a real coach.

jimbohastle51
12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Not sure if you've been under a rock but it doesn't appear any of the "A list" coaches will even consider us. I'm OK with hiring a second tier coach if they get a proven general manager.

LOL LOL LOL! a proven GM?!? teams do not let proven GM's leave LOL! the only reason bruce allen was available was because he wasnt doing a very good job the past few years in tampa drafting players. and the reason ron wolf is available is cause he is retired. casserly was subpar at best and accorsi retired as well. the only GM candidates we are going to hire/interview are guys with no GM expirience that come from a winning system and pray we land a guy like the falcons did last year. the only GM available besides listed above that is notable would probably be randy mueller and he is HORRIBLE!!! and as far as no A list coach. i was aware that we probably wouldnt be landing one but now knowing that we wont you can pretty much count on a guy coming in here that has been fired at least once if not twice for NOT WINNING, and russ brandon or our very own soon to be version of george kokinis coming to the podium and introducing jim haslett or someone of that nature and honestly trying to sell to the fans that he just won a UFL championship or that he has a great offensive/defensive mind (which it cant be true because he wouldnt have been fired before his contract ran out) LOL! this will be interesting. if we dont somehow land cowher which probably wont happen then my money is on charlie weis. just because wherever he has been his offenses have not just been good, they have been ELITE, never just average, i have to give it to the guy, his offensives when he was in charge has always been ELITE and he has a couple note worthy defensive coordinator friends that he could bring along to help. and his record as an NFL coach is 0-0 not 16-32 or some horribly loosing record like the coach that would be hired if he didnt accept.

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
LOL LOL LOL! a proven GM?!? teams do not let proven GM's leave LOL! the only reason bruce allen was available was because he wasnt doing a very good job the past few years in tampa drafting players. and the reason ron wolf is available is cause he is retired. casserly was subpar at best and accorsi retired as well. the only GM candidates we are going to hire/interview are guys with no GM expirience that come from a winning system and pray we land a guy like the falcons did last year. the only GM available besides listed above that is notable would probably be randy mueller and he is HORRIBLE!!! and as far as no A list coach. i was aware that we probably wouldnt be landing one but now knowing that we wont you can pretty much count on a guy coming in here that has been fired at least once if not twice for NOT WINNING, and russ brandon or our very own soon to be version of george kokinis coming to the podium and introducing jim haslett or someone of that nature and honestly trying to sell to the fans that he just won a UFL championship or that he has a great offensive/defensive mind (which it cant be true because he wouldnt have been fired before his contract ran out) LOL! this will be interesting. if we dont somehow land cowher which probably wont happen then my money is on charlie weis. just because wherever he has been his offenses have not just been good, they have been ELITE, never just average, i have to give it to the guy, his offensives when he was in charge has always been ELITE and he has a couple note worthy defensive coordinator friends that he could bring along to help. and his record as an NFL coach is 0-0 not 16-32 or some horribly loosing record like the coach that would be hired if he didnt accept.

Who is the GM in Kansas City?

jimbohastle51
12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
scott pioli, and he is doing a stellar job so far. alot of his draft picks looked great this year and cassel blew it up (this is all sarcasm LOL)

T-Long
12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Charlie Weis is going to be our guy...I can't shake it

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
scott pioli, and he is doing a stellar job so far. alot of his draft picks looked great this year and cassel blew it up (this is all sarcasm LOL)

All sarcasm aside, he wasn't a proven GM when he went to the Chiefs?

The Spaz
12-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm sure there are more obviouslly but the only name I can think of for GM is Casserly at the moment. Anyone else have a few names for GM?

Voltron
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Knowing Ralph he will hire Matt Millen :doh:

Ron Burgundy
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
"the waiting drove me mad"

Corduroy? Nice.

Demon
12-29-2009, 01:44 PM

First of all, no coach in NFL history has won super bowl's with multiple teams. To think, that streak will end with Buffalo, is beyond silly.

Second of all, not every coach who got fired is a bad coach. Bill Belichick was fired from the Browns job. Look how that ended up. To think every coach who got fired at one point is a loser, is pretty ignorant.

Voltron
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
LOL LOL LOL! a proven GM?!? teams do not let proven GM's leave LOL! the only reason bruce allen was available was because he wasnt doing a very good job the past few years in tampa drafting players. and the reason ron wolf is available is cause he is retired. casserly was subpar at best and accorsi retired as well. the only GM candidates we are going to hire/interview are guys with no GM expirience that come from a winning system and pray we land a guy like the falcons did last year. the only GM available besides listed above that is notable would probably be randy mueller and he is HORRIBLE!!! and as far as no A list coach. i was aware that we probably wouldnt be landing one but now knowing that we wont you can pretty much count on a guy coming in here that has been fired at least once if not twice for NOT WINNING, and russ brandon or our very own soon to be version of george kokinis coming to the podium and introducing jim haslett or someone of that nature and honestly trying to sell to the fans that he just won a UFL championship or that he has a great offensive/defensive mind (which it cant be true because he wouldnt have been fired before his contract ran out) LOL! this will be interesting. if we dont somehow land cowher which probably wont happen then my money is on charlie weis. just because wherever he has been his offenses have not just been good, they have been ELITE, never just average, i have to give it to the guy, his offensives when he was in charge has always been ELITE and he has a couple note worthy defensive coordinator friends that he could bring along to help. and his record as an NFL coach is 0-0 not 16-32 or some horribly loosing record like the coach that would be hired if he didnt accept. Have you ever heard of paragraphs ... or punctuation :rolleyes:

Demon
12-29-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm sure there are more obviouslly but the only name I can think of for GM is Casserly at the moment. Anyone else have a few names for GM?

Floyd Reese.
Micheal Lombardi.
Ernie Accorsi - retired but spoke with the Browns about their opening.
Ron Wolf - retired but supposedly had interest in Browns opening.
Bill Polian - tons of heat and son Chris about to take over.

madness
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Knowing Ralph he will hire Matt Millen :doh:

http://www.britfilms.tv/v3/user_files/Image/RamboDeathStare.jpg

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Floyd Reese.
Micheal Lombardi.
Ernie Accorsi - retired but spoke with the Browns about their opening.
Ron Wolf - retired but supposedly had interest in Browns opening.
Bill Polian - tons of heat and son Chris about to take over.

I'd scratch Polian off the list before I'd even put him on it.

Demon
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd scratch Polian off the list before I'd even put him on it.

Why? Because people think he's still at odds with Ralph? It's only a myth.

Bill Cody
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
If there was a chance it was Cowher, it would have to be with total control... he would have all personnel decisions and Brandon would go back to running the business side of the Bills. Cowher would effectively be the GM.

Why? He didn't have that in Pitt. Even after Cowher had some issues with TD and TD lost that power struggle they didn't hand the reins over to him which tells me he didn't necessarily want or need to be in total control. I do agree he would want the GM to be someone he was comfortable with and shared a similar philosophy. I think we should ask Cowher what he wants and give it to him.

Saratoga Slim
12-29-2009, 02:06 PM

No, because there's been zero indication that he's leaving Indy this year.

Demon
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
No, because there's been zero indication that he's leaving Indy this year.

Him stepping down as GM to allow his son to take over, was a pretty good indication that he may be leaving the entire organization. And if he had any doubts, this recent fallout with their media and fans may have done it, especially if they don't win it all.

Our chances are much higher to land Polian then they are to land Cowher. Yet, theres Cowher talk all over this, and many other, forums.

patmoran2006
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I really have a feeling Gabriel is going to end up our next GM

Demon
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
NFL.com's Jason La Confora weighs in on Bills coaching search.....

I spoke with someone with intimate knowledge of the situation in Buffalo who says that despite firing coach Dick Jauron weeks ago, the Bills have really not even begun their latest coaching search.
With all the “A” list coaches spurning them – Jon Gruden, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher all declined — they are compiling a new list of candidates and will start a fresh wave of interviews after the season.
According to the source, a resolution is “a long, long ways away,” and the franchise is at the start of what will be a “very thorough process.” As expected all along, the Bills could look to several emerging coordinators, though there are few options on the offensive side of the ball. Buffalo would like to install an offensive-minded coach and explosive system, if possible, and is looking for someone who can identify and develop a franchise quarterback – which is why Holmgren, Shanahan and Gruden were so appealing.
Few “hot coordinators” are on the offensive side of the ball, however. In the meantime, Perry Fewell has coached on an interim basis.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/29/help-wanted-bills-compiling-new-list-of-candidates/

patmoran2006
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Him stepping down as GM to allow his son to take over, was a pretty good indication that he may be leaving the entire organization. And if he had any doubts, this recent fallout with their media and fans may have done it, especially if they don't win it all.

Our chances are much higher to land Polian then they are to land Cowher. Yet, theres Cowher talk all over this, and many other, forums.

I can't emphasize this enough.. Despite what Chris Brown or others may report, I'm telling you that Wilson and Polian do NOT get a long.

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 02:17 PM

I still think that.

There is a reason they split the first time and I've seen nothing to tell me that it's a myth. Unless you have some kind of inside source on the topic.

patmoran2006
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I still think that.

There is a reason they split the first time and I've seen nothing to tell me that it's a myth. Unless you have some kind of inside source on the topic.

Trust me on this, it is not a myth

The Spaz
12-29-2009, 02:24 PM

With his background it makes sense.

Demon
12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
I still think that.

Nope, none at all. I've heard Mike Catalana say that their rift is over and they do "talk" now, Thurman Thomas said it multiple times on WGR that if Bills asked Bill to return, he would and i believe Pat's web site said they were still at odds and Chris Brown said there is no truth to that. Can't find the link, but i'm sure Pat has it. I'll take those 3 over a fan web site. Sorry Pat.

RockStar36
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Nope, none at all. I've heard Mike Catalana say that their rift is over and they do "talk" now, Thurman Thomas said it multiple times on WGR that if Bills asked Bill to return, he would and i believe Pat's web site said they were still at odds and Chris Brown said there is no truth to that. Can't find the link, but i'm sure Pat has it. I'll take those 3 over a fan web site. Sorry Pat.

That sounds credible to me, I've just never heard it, which is why I asked. Thanks for elaborating.

baalworship
12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
This a blog by Gaughan and he does not state whether this is his opinion, speculation, or if this is based upon a source within the organization.

Not enough here. I really hope someone e-mails Gaughan and asks him what he means.

patmoran2006
12-29-2009, 02:43 PM

No offense taken.

But the myth that Polian and Wilson have buried the hatchet is not accurate, I dont care what Chris Brown says. I know people as well within the Bills and ESPECIALLY UB, where Polian was an unofficial part of for years, and he's anything but fond of Wilson and I know that to be a fact.

And are you saying that Thurman Thomas said that if the Bills asked Polian to return he'd leave Indy and come back to Buffalo? I want to make sure I have that right.

(not picking a fight with you, I like reading your posts whether I agree or not, you bring something to the board)

Lastly, my site is a not a "fan site" so that can be cleared up. We are fully accredited with the media and get much of the same access that a lot of the "big named' media publications and members get. I dont sit at home and write all day and night (though thats' more fun), myself or most of our other writers are out at events, games or practices gathering news. stories, interviews, etc.

Demon
12-29-2009, 02:57 PM
No offense taken.

But the myth that Polian and Wilson have buried the hatchet is not accurate, I dont care what Chris Brown says. I know people as well within the Bills and ESPECIALLY UB, where Polian was an unofficial part of for years, and he's anything but fond of Wilson and I know that to be a fact.

And are you saying that Thurman Thomas said that if the Bills asked Polian to return he'd leave Indy and come back to Buffalo? I want to make sure I have that right.

(not picking a fight with you, I like reading your posts whether I agree or not, you bring something to the board)

Lastly, my site is a not a "fan site" so that can be cleared up. We are fully accredited with the media and get much of the same access that a lot of the "big named' media publications and members get. I dont sit at home and write all day and night (though thats' more fun), myself or most of our other writers are out at events, games or practices gathering news. stories, interviews, etc.

While i don't have the exact quote with me, it was along the lines that Bill still lives in Buffalo and if he was asked to return, he would, because he wants to hand down the Colts to his son. Since Thomas said that, Bill stepped down from the GM for his son. Maybe someone has the audio still saved can give the exact quote. But, while i still think it's a long shot to land Polian, i think it's a much more realistic possibility then landing Cowher.

patmoran2006
12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
While i don't have the exact quote with me, it was along the lines that Bill still lives in Buffalo and if he was asked to return, he would, because he wants to hand down the Colts to his son. Since Thomas said that, Bill stepped down from the GM for his son. Maybe someone has the audio still saved can give the exact quote. But, while i still think it's a long shot to land Polian, i think it's a much more realistic possibility then landing Cowher.

We agree to disagree. I think Ralph would bring back Jauron to coach the team in 2010 before Polian would come back as Bills GM.

For the record, I would LOVE for you to be right.. I think Polian is the most important Bills person in the history of the franchise.

jamze132
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Everyone get ready for Tom Donahoe v2.0

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Everyone get ready for Tom Donahoe v2.0

Do you think v2.0 will allow signs at the Ralph?

Nighthawk
12-29-2009, 04:13 PM

And that would be bad...

Night Train
12-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Obviously, it makes sense to me. :bf1:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=184770