X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nateodoms'bff
    • Dec 2008

john fox...

I really feel like this is a great option for the Bills, especially if Fox becomes free of his contract in Carolina.

I cant imagine that Cowher really wants to go to Tampa, Chicago seems like the wrong fit for Cowher. They are not built for the 3-4, they have no weapons besides Forte, and they have a weak o-line. The one thing they have is Cutler.

Carolina has exactly what Cowher is looking for. Great Db's, two stud Rb's who play hard nose physical football, and a tough young O-line. The defense would need some re-tooling to fit the 3-4, but not much. Peppers wants to be a pass rushing LB, Beason has the Middle locked up, and their D-Line has some size to it. They need a compliment to Steve Smith, but that can be had in the draft this year.

I think Fox's time in Carolina is done. Ownership is playing nice by "inviting" a guy who is under contract back. They want Cowher, Cowher wants to be there, Fox needs to leave.

And I'll pick him up at the Airport Brett Favre style.

Buffalo has the running backs to fit his system. They have a downfield threat in Evans to support the down field passing. They have an O-Line that has POTENTIAL to be good if it can stay healthy and disciplined. I think Fox brings that. He is a no nonsense coach. He demands physical disciplined play from his team, and never plays to lose. The one thing missing is a QB. But i honestly don't feel like there is one worth a first round pick this year. Unless, Ryan Mallet declares for the draft, then you trade down far enough to take him, and stock up on 2nd and 3rd round picks, where you improve the O-Line depth and LB positions.

The defense as it stands right now, needs one player to fit his style, a tough linebacker who is strong and can tackle. The line could use a bigger NT style DT who can swallow the middle of the line. If Schoebel retires, then that opens the door for Maybin. If he can get on the field and produce, this defense can really be a force. I know that sounds like homerism, but its the truth. The secondary is outstanding with Byrd. The corners have proven that they can step up and play well against the best receivers in the game. The problem is stopping the run. That problem is solved with drafting the best linebacker available (assuming Mallett stays at Arkansas). #1 on my board is McClain followed closely by Spikes. Either one of them playing the Middle and moving Poz to the outside makes this defense very very tough.

I would love for the cards to fall into place for any of this to happen, but most likely it wont. Bobby April will be the coach next season, and Sam Bradford will be on the Bills injured reserve list by week 8.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: john fox...

Timing is everything.

ESPN has been reporting all day that Fox and his staff are being asked to return next season and I believe it's legit.
    Last edited by Night Train; 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
      • Dec 2008

thats my point. why ask you're coach and his staff back, if they are already under contract?

I think this is a ploy. I know it may sound a little paranoid, but I really think that Cowher wants to be in Carolina, and Carolina wants him there, but they (carolina) have to play nice.

Im sure Fox does not want to be a lame duck coach, and with the lock out looming, im sure he would love a guaranteed contract for the 2011 season. He can have that here in Buffalo. There isnt a lot of rebuilding to do here. The team has depth at every position, they are the starters on the field now. What this team needs is game changers. There are a lot of free agents available, and having a proven coach like Fox, could help draw them in.

Its a long shot, but Im a Bills fan, ive gotta Billieve.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

Dude, you must be my long lost identical twin brother because I'm thinking the same thing. John Fox is the BEST imaginable fit for Buffalo, no question about it.

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
          • Dec 2008

YES!! Finally we're talkin here!

I've been looking over the list of free agents, and there is some real talent available, in places where the Bills need upgrades.

Barrett Ruud, DeMeco Ryans, Carlos Dansby, to name a few. Any one of those 3 would make this defense instantly better against the run.

Signing Jason Campbell would be a great fit. The guy can play. He has no receivers, no O-Line, and no one calling a good game. Adding a quality WR like Steve Breaston as the #2 behind Evans, and playing in Fox's offense, could really make this offense good. Maybe not great, but competitive.

Even if the Bills can only sign one of these guys, that fills a huge hole, and opens up draft day in a big way.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Hmmm, aren't you the guy who said that Hangartner would be a stud OL for us too? Just sayin'....

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
              • Dec 2008

I never said stud. I said he would be good. And to this point, he has been.

He has been on the field every game. He is certainly an upgrade from fowler and preston. If the rest of the line stayed healthy, he could have had a better season.

He's not a probowler, but he has played consistently all season.

Am I totally off base with that analysis?

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by nateodoms'bff
                I never said stud. I said he would be good. And to this point, he has been.

He has been on the field every game. He is certainly an upgrade from fowler and preston. If the rest of the line stayed healthy, he could have had a better season.

He's not a probowler, but he has played consistently all season.

Am I totally off base with that analysis?
                No, but you were a little more adament about how good he was going to be. I said he was just another average lineman and I think his play has proven me right. I don't hate having him, but he is nowhere near as good as a few on this board made him out to be.

Comment

• nateodoms'bff
                  • Dec 2008

Agreed, I expected much more out of him, and the line this season.

I, like everyone else, am really disappointed. But I do think the foundation is there for a really great O-Line in the future.

I think Bell can be good. I love Wood and Levitre, and adding Incognito and having Butler back next year will make this O-Line better. Consistency is important, too.

Staying healthy, is important too. Something that this team has not been able to be for years now.

You cant say that there is no talent on the line, and that if they were coached up all season, they would be better than they seem.

Can we agree on that?

Comment

Working...
                  X