PDA

View Full Version : so if cowher comes, does modrak stay

trapezeus
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Just running with the theoritical. If cowher arrives in buffalo, is he more likely to say "keep Tom, i know him, i trust him and have a good relationship with him" Or does he say "he was a weak link, get rid of him"

I really don't know what the story is. I thought Donahoe and Cowher didn't see eye to eye and Donahoe wanted to prove he was the genius behind the steelers.

bflojohn
12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Some sources suggest that Tom Modrak was not a major player in some of the more dubious selections of this past regime. I am NOT absolving him of all the ills, but IF Modrak, under a Cowher era was given more input and actually stayed in Buffalo, maybe the results could change drastically! This is only an idea, don't shoot the messanger, please!!!!

Demon
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Modrak and Cowher are great friends. Modrak may even be promoted if Cowher comes.

PECKERWOOD
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
If keeping Modrak means that Cowher comes, then the decision should be obvious.

theanswer74
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
There arent many teams with a better scouting staff of Modrak and Buddy Nix.

Sorry to say Bills fans, we would be idiots to drop these guys. They know talent. The problem is neither guy has final say. I would love Modrak to have final say, but he doesn't want it.

trapezeus
12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
obviously, i'm no football man, but if modrak is your scout, doesn't it mean he has final say?
He says, "no i don't want final say."

Then you say, "ok, but what are you thinking about this draft class?"

He says, "i like A, B and C"

Then you say, "wow, that's what is on my list. that's what we are going to go after since i have final say, but do you want to fly out to NYC the day of the draft? We'll get you a nice room, and we'll listen to the draft. let's just see what you're thinking as people come off the board and see what i have up my sleeve"

he says, "ok. sounds good. i want to fly first class, eat a nice steak, and drink some beer."

You say, "fine"

Day of draft arrives and player A comes off.

you say, "hey tom, Player A came off the board. who do you have as next?"

He says, "player D"

you say, "cool, me too. we'll go with that because i have final say."

What makes me so mad with the last 10 years that if modrak really was a genius, why were we letting non-genius people interfer with the DB heavy drafts, the project player 1st rounders, the trade up for duds?

If this is true that Modrak was just a 10 year patsy, i can't wait to read his book on how these drafts shook down from 2001 to 2009.

baalworship
12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
We know that Modrak set up the boards for Donahoe, Levy, and Jauron.

Donahoe had final say so he was responsible for 2001-2005.

Levy looked like he was actually picking 2006-2007.

Last 2 drafts I assumed it was Modrak but Bills are claiming Jauron. Who the hell knows. All I know is John Guy needs to go. Modrak and Nix can stay in some capacity but we need someone to come in and take charge and make the final call.

I say Tom Telesco- Colts , Eric Decosta -Ravens or Ross -Giants all sound good.

Slick
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
I think John Guy was an asst. coach for Cowher, maybe he stays too.

Michael82
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I think John Guy was an asst. coach for Cowher, maybe he stays too.

No way! He's gone. His FA pickups have been atrocious! I can't see him staying....

Nighthawk
12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Modrak and Cowher are great friends. Modrak may even be promoted if Cowher comes.

If they were such great friends, Cowher coming to Buffalo would be a much stronger possibility. I think his relationship with Modrak is way overplayed.

Dr. Lecter
12-31-2009, 07:30 AM
If they were such great friends, Cowher coming to Buffalo would be a much stronger possibility. I think his relationship with Modrak is way overplayed.

On 97 Rock this morning, Carucci (hopefully Juice is OK with me reporting what he said - hope I don't get yelled at!) said that Cowher is a possibility for the Bills and that he and Modrak are close and added that Modrak has been heavily involved with the recruiting of Cowher to Buffalo.

FWIW.

trapezeus
12-31-2009, 08:21 AM
That's some really exciting news.

I still am totally confused on what Modrak has done for 10 years and still stays with the team. If he wasn't being listened to as a prized scout, what was the point? And if he was making all these bad decisions, why would he stay?

I am being put in the unenviable position of having to trust the bills despite the fact that history shows no reason that this makes sense. Happy new year everyone.

mikemac2001
12-31-2009, 08:38 AM
On 97 Rock this morning, Carucci (hopefully Juice is OK with me reporting what he said - hope I don't get yelled at!) said that Cowher is a possibility for the Bills and that he and Modrak are close and added that Modrak has been heavily involved with the recruiting of Cowher to Buffalo.

FWIW.

Carucci isn't a real reporter because he post information on the internet

trapezeus
12-31-2009, 08:41 AM
that and the fact that it hasn't happened yet. Reporters are only allowed to tell a story in real time as it happens. They can't be told ahead of time what the story might be.

journalism 101 presented by Professor Juice.

madness
12-31-2009, 08:57 AM

It's not. There's been articles in the past that they continue to stay in touch through out the season. Cowher was even trying to lure Modrak back to Pittsburgh when Modrak was with the Eagles. Even last off-season when there was speculation about Cowher being interested in the Denver job...

If Cowher were waiting for the perfect job, he'd be coaching the Denver Broncos next season with Tom Modrak as his director of player personnel. If that does not happen, there may not be a job in the league that ever interests him.

The Juice Is Loose
12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
I wonder if Buddy Nix had anything to do with Maybin.

Man I just can't believe they could pass on Orakpo. I mean I'll be honest I was afraid he'd pop for roids.

I'd rather have a guy pop for roids then just be a total flop. if maybin juiced up and played like merriman i'd gladly let him get suspended for 4 games ha ha!

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about Modrak staying, but Cowher coming here sounds really good. We will see.

Michael82
12-31-2009, 10:52 AM

FWIW.

Oh wow...that's very interesting. I've *****ed about Modrak before, but if he helps us get Cowher, he would be the man!

justasportsfan
12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
obviously, i'm no football man, but if modrak is your scout, doesn't it mean he has final say?
nope. Ask Ingtar.