PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Williams named Pro Bowl alternate

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Small surprise at the least

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/kyle-williams-named-pro-bowl-alternate/

Dying_-2-_Live
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Good for him... had a nice season

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
well deserved.

Night Train
12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow.

I see a swinging door against the run but that's JMO.

TheBrownBear
12-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Congrats to Kyle. One of our most consistent players.

nateodoms'bff
12-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow.

Thats not because of the D-Line. The Bills have no Line Backers. One guy cant do the job of three.

The D-Line's focus was on getting pressure on the QB, which they did. The LB's were tasked with limiting the run, something they have failed miserably at.

59 tackles and 3 sacks, is the most we have seen from a DT on the Bills in a while.

The Juice Is Loose
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
HOORAAAAY!!

PS how can a DT from the worst team vs. the run be a pro bowl alternate?

i know his numbers were nice, and i like williams, but shouldn't someone from a good defense be?

Forward_Lateral
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
But, but, he sucks! According to a few "geniuses" on this site, he's worthless.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Small surprise at the least

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/kyle-williams-named-pro-bowl-alternate/
That's funny.

Worst team in the NFL against the run and KW is a PB alternate. Why? cause he makes a flashy play once or twice a game and gets run over for the rest?

The only reason I can figure for this is Jenkins and Rogers getting hurt, but even then there are more qualified DTs.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Thats not because of the D-Line. The Bills have no Line Backers. One guy cant do the job of three.

The D-Line's focus was on getting pressure on the QB, which they did. The LB's were tasked with limiting the run, something they have failed miserably at.

59 tackles and 3 sacks, is the most we have seen from a DT on the Bills in a while.
The DL got pressure on QBs? When?

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
He's played hurt most this year too

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
He's played hurt most this year too
Even when he was healthy this guy was NEVER a dominant player. He flashes in and out of games.

PB votes should go to players who are consistently a factor such as Ngata, Hampton, Williams Bros, Wilfork, Haynesworth etc. Players that dominate their opponents on a regular basis.

Bills fans just see a guy who makes a sick play every once in a while and suddenly he is "Consistent."

PECKERWOOD
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
He is built like a barrel and he is probably our best defensive tackle, he is our new Pat Williams.

more cowbell
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Kyle Williams is one of the most respected defensive tackles in the league by all the coaches and even players. He's a blue-collar player and our best defensive tackle by far (just because he's not a big name like Stroud he doesnt get the attention)

He's been consistent his entire career, and can play both the run and the pass. I remember a couple years ago Bill Belichick was talking about what a good player he has become.

Congrats Kyle...he absolutely deserves it

THATHURMANATOR
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Good for him. Congrats Kyle.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Kyle Williams is one of the most respected defensive tackles in the league by all the coaches and even players. He's a blue-collar player and our best defensive tackle by far (just because he's not a big name like Stroud he doesnt get the attention)

He's been consistent his entire career, and can play both the run and the pass. I remember a couple years ago Bill Belichick was talking about what a good player he has become.

Congrats Kyle...he absolutely deserves it
Plays well against the run eh?

Ask every RB who played us this season if KW is good against the run.

KW is a high effort player that makes great plays at times but just not good enough to shut down one aspect of an offense.

PW for example can shut down a run game, Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams are terrors in the pass game, KW can do none of that. He is a typical Bill. Not great, just good. Can be great on one play and horrible on another. He can be abused in the run game, and in the pass game will work hard to create pressure but ultimately will not hurry the QB quick enough.

patmoran2006
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Even when he was healthy this guy was NEVER a dominant player. He flashes in and out of games.

PB votes should go to players who are consistently a factor such as Ngata, Hampton, Williams Bros, Wilfork, Haynesworth etc. Players that dominate their opponents on a regular basis.

Bills fans just see a guy who makes a sick play every once in a while and suddenly he is "Consistent."

Dont kill the messenger! lol

I dont think he's dominant either, and probably not a Pro Bowler
BUt he is underated. He plays hard and he plays hurt.
And he's had a few great games, especially early in the year when he was 100% he was dominant at times.

PECKERWOOD
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM

KW is a high effort player that makes great plays at times but just not good enough to shut down one aspect of an offense.

PW for example can shut down a run game, Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams are terrors in the pass game, KW can do none of that. He is a typical Bill. Not great, just good. Can be great on one play and horrible on another. He can be abused in the run game, and in the pass game will work hard to create pressure but ultimately will not hurry the QB quick enough.

You're probably the same type of cat who blamed all of our offensive woes on Jason Peters while he was here, if fans like you keep it up, we just may have another Demetrius Bell caliber of player starting in our lineup.........

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 12:48 PM

No one is saying he is. But he's definitely earned the respect of the players for them to vote him into the probowl as an alternate. He's also had a handicap called Jauron.

Michael82
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow! This is great news. I guess he is no longer underrated! :up:

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 12:55 PM
You're probably the same type of cat who blamed all of our offensive woes on Jason Peters while he was here, if fans like you keep it up, we just may have another Demetrius Bell caliber of player starting in our lineup.........
No. I was the one saying pay Peters. I dont look at all players the same way. I think critically. Peters was a keeper. KW is average.

more cowbell
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM

The run defense woes are not Kyle Williams fault. Aaron Schobel is average against the run, and Marcus Stroud has had an off year. Also this team starts complete jokers at linebacker like Nic Harris, Bryan Scott, Chris Draft, Keith Ellison, Kawika Mitchell, Ashlee Palmer, abnd Marcus Buggs.

In fact, Williams has been in the backfield on running plays more than any other defensive lineman on the team.

If you wanna argue that he's not an elite player then fine...but to say that he isn't a good player against the run and is just a decent or good player overall is foolish.

This guy obviously got voted in by the player and coach vote not the fan vote because what fans outside of Buffalo know who Kyle Williams is?

So considering coaches and players made this call ill take their word over yours...

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
The run defense woes are not Kyle Williams fault. Aaron Schobel is average against the run, and Marcus Stroud has had an off year. Also this team starts complete jokers at linebacker like Nic Harris, Bryan Scott, Chris Draft, Keith Ellison, Kawika Mitchell, Ashlee Palmer, abnd Marcus Buggs.

In fact, Williams has been in the backfield on running plays more than any other defensive lineman on the team.

If you wanna argue that he's not an elite player then fine...but to say that he isn't a good player against the run and is just a decent or good player overall is foolish.

This guy obviously got voted in by the player and coach vote not the fan vote because what fans outside of Buffalo know who Kyle Williams is?

So considering coaches and players made this call ill take their word over yours...
I chalk it up to injuries. If Rogers, Ferguson, Jenkins and Jamal Williams are healthy KW is not even considered.

And considering KW anything more than a "good" player overall is ridiculous. "Good" is the most I would give him.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
But, but, he sucks! According to a few "geniuses" on this site, he's worthless.

I guess I'm a "genius" then.

He's one of the problems on this defense and a big reason why we're absolutely garbage vs the run.

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I guess I'm a "genius" then.

He's one of the problems on this defense and a big reason why we're absolutely garbage vs the run.

players and coaches that voted for him disagree with you.

PECKERWOOD
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
No. I was the one saying pay Peters. I dont look at all players the same way. I think critically. Peters was a keeper. KW is average.

Kyle Williams is probably one of our most underrated players, maybe even more underrated than Aaron Schobel if that's possible. We got two above average DTs backed by an entire unit of sub average linebackers. I mean come on, Brian Scott and Chris Draft wouldn't even be 3rd stringers on most teams in the NFL, let alone starters.

Pinkerton Security
12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
players and coaches that voted for him disagree with you.

what do they know though.

its one thing to get voted in by fans who only recognize names...to get voted in by other coaches and players, thats a nice vote of confidence.

He may not necessarily be a dominant force but he IS a very solid guy who busts his ass every play and can make some plays.

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM

its one thing to get voted in by fans who only recognize names...to get voted in by other coaches and players, thats a nice vote of confidence.

He may not necessarily be a dominant force but he IS a very solid guy who busts his ass every play and can make some plays.

Anyone here voted for Kyle? Didn't hear/read anyone here voting for him so chances are he could've have gotten voted in by players and coaches? :idunno:

yordad
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
This is very surprising.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Right, but again, 4 PB caliber DTs were injured this year and with them healthy KW wouldn't even be considered an alternate.

Jaybird
12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I bet the other players wont know who he is

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Right, but again, 4 PB caliber DTs were injured this year and with them healthy KW wouldn't even be considered an alternate.
those pb players wouldn't be as good under Dick either.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
those pb players wouldn't be as good under Dick either.
That's irrelevant. They are better and more dominant players than KW and 3 of the 4 have been to the PB already multiple times.

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
That's irrelevant. They are better and more dominant players than KW and 3 of the 4 have been to the PB already multiple times.
not really. I am simply implying that KW was held back by a crappy coach which made him look bad to guys like you but players and coaches who are pros realize what Kyle brings to the game inspite of the drawbacks like Dick.

Pinkerton Security
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM

This is probably the truth.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
not really. I am simply implying that KW was held back by a crappy coach which made him look bad to guys like you but players and coaches who are pros realize what Kyle brings to the game inspite of the drawbacks like Dick.
K. Blaming KW deficiencies on DJ is just as silly as giving DJ credit for how good Byrd, McGee, McKelvin, Wilson and Poz are.

Football is Football, and KW gets pushed around consistently. Watch tape of him against the run and you will see him get manhandled all day.

Philagape
12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Wow.

Not just yours.

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
K. Blaming KW deficiencies on DJ is just as silly as giving DJ credit for how good Byrd, McGee, McKelvin, Wilson and Poz are.

Football is Football, and KW gets pushed around consistently. Watch tape of him against the run and you will see him get manhandled all day.

you mean game planning has nothing to do with a players performance? A player cannot be set up to fail?

It's not as silly as you trying to put our failures of the run D on the shoulder of one player.

Yhea he gets manahandled all day that coaches and players voted for him. I don't think so.

Philagape
12-30-2009, 02:25 PM

And that's why he's an alternate, because most of the voters probably do what the fans do ... look at numbers. How many players actually watch him on every play, aside from opponents scouting and playing the Bills? Bills fans see more of him than a majority of NFL voters, I would bet.
I wish there were stats kept on backfield whiffs, misdirection bites, and swallows by blockers at POA. He wouldn't have been chosen in that case.

dannyek71
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Kyle is one of the more likeable guys on the team. I've spoken with him a few times. Very well deserved.

He any Spencer Johnson really had nice seasons.

ddaryl
12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
He is weaker in the run department but does make the occasional explosive play.

If he can strengthen that part of his game and of course become more consistent he would be a pretty damn good DT...

That consistency could come with a new regime and some talent additions. I honestly hope to see that from a few players on our team next year with a new HC GM some player movement and a new attitude.

Philagape
12-30-2009, 04:34 PM
He is weaker in the run department but does make the occasional explosive play.

That's why he's so overrated. He gets on the highlight film occasionally, he gets numbers put next to his name, and that makes people forget the 90-95 percent of plays where he's irrelevant.

Kyle Williams is the DT for the ESPN generation.

PECKERWOOD
12-30-2009, 05:50 PM
That's why he's so overrated. He gets on the highlight film occasionally, he gets numbers put next to his name, and that makes people forget the 90-95 percent of plays where he's irrelevant.

Kyle Williams is the DT for the ESPN generation.

This such a bunch of bologna, with better linebackers we easily have a top 10 defense. Our d-line is fine, Williams and Stroud are good d-tackles.

Philagape
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM
This such a bunch of bologna, with better linebackers we easily have a top 10 defense. Our d-line is fine, Williams and Stroud are good d-tackles.

Yeah they need LBs to stop all those RBs who breeze through the middle of the line.

Mahdi
12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Williams and Stroud have been getting blown up all year. Commentators a couple of games ago were mentioning that Stroud has been disappointing this year as well.

When you have good DL play you generally do well against the pass and run and we were horrible at both. Our secondary made our pass D good.

Spiderweb
12-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Sure, our LB's were horrendous this year, but isn't it the Tackle's job to keep the opposing O-line off his LB's? I love his effort and his occasional plays, but far too often I see run plays right thur th gaps he should have been occupying.

Wow, Williams and Stroud were almost no shows in too many games....

This is weird.