PDA

View Full Version : Evans' numbers tied to QB turnover

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
“This year has been all over the place,” said Evans. “At different times it’s been another opportunity for somebody to step up and show what they’ve got. That’s pretty much what we’ve been looking at, but we come out preparing to win no matter who is back there.”

In Evans’ six seasons he’s played with seven different quarterbacks. Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Kelly Holcomb, Shane Matthews, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brohm.

“It’s been tough at times,” admitted Evans. “Good sometimes, not so good some other times, but when you look at the big picture there has been a lot of rotation with different people back there.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Evans-numbers-tied-to-QB-turnover/f1d12d7d-f417-42e9-86ec-d9ce80ebc817

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
More excuses from a guy overrated by the fanbase.

Shocking.

Jaybird
12-30-2009, 03:08 PM
More excuses from a guy overrated by the fanbase.

Shocking.

a wr does need the Qb to get him the ball. It's not like they have been throwing to him and he's been dropping passes or not making plays on the ball

DBrown77
12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
quote=FunTimesYaY!]More excuses from a guy overrated by the fanbase.

Shocking.[/quote]:loser:

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 03:37 PM
I'll throw out random stats from a no name WR to compare to Lee Evans, best season on each....

84 catches 1097 yards 9 tds

82 catches 1292 yards 8 tds

Which are Lee Evans?

BTW the other guy had a poor QB who had no O-line throwing him the ball too before you throw out the excuses.

Evans is a nobody with numbers that don't scare anyone nor are that good.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Hang on it gets better!

One of these career stat lines gets you 10 million dollars, one gets you out of the league.

101 games 79 starts 384 catches 4595 yards 25 tds

95 games 73 starts 336 catches 5307 yards 38 tds

But yeah, Lee is great and held back nor is he overrated at all!

trapezeus
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
this is a chicken-egg debate. if evans was super reliable, Qb's would put it up for him to make plays 10-15 times a game. even with bledsoe and JP, the stronger armed, pro-evans QBs here, they didn' regularly make this guy a 7-15 catch receiver per game with 50-100 yards a game and a touchdown everyother week.

The guy simply knows to run long on the sidelines. he's dependable when you put it up there, but for somereason, he isn't getting the QB's ear to try more often.

True, there is only so much you can complain before you grow old. but look at to. for all his drops and lackidaisical games, QBs go back to him between 5-10 times a game. Evans literally can disappear for weeks at a time.

Some of this has to be on him as well.

That being said, evans isn't a guy that needs to be replaced right now. he needs help with a QB, he needs a better line so that the QB can make some reads and get him the ball, but he needs to show up when we get that QB.

yordad
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll throw out random stats from a no name WR to compare to Lee Evans, best season on each....

84 catches 1097 yards 9 tds

82 catches 1292 yards 8 tds

Which are Lee Evans?

BTW the other guy had a poor QB who had no O-line throwing him the ball too before you throw out the excuses.

Evans is a nobody with numbers that don't scare anyone nor are that good.Are you really attempting to argue that a WRs #s are not effected by the quality of the QBing?

:wtf:

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Are you really attempting to argue that a WRs #s are not effected by the quality of the QBing?

No, I showed two guys with poor QBing their entire career with similar numbers and the fates of each.

One guy is out of the league and one guy gets a huge payday.

At the end of the day, their numbers aren't much different.

yordad
12-30-2009, 03:51 PM
No, I showed two guys with poor QBing their entire career with similar numbers and the fates of each.

One guy is out of the league and one guy gets a huge payday.

At the end of the day, their numbers aren't much different.I hope you really don't think your secret example proves something.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I hope you really don't think your secret example proves something.

The point is my nobody example and trust me, this guy was a nobody, as evidenced by you having no clue who he is...put up just as good of a numbers in a single season and just as good in his career.

Nobody would point back to him and say he was great. Nor would he ever get a huge pay day from anyone. He didn't btw, he was cut not once, not twice but thrice.

My whole point conveys that Bills fans overrate Lee Evans as does the organization who overpaid him by a ton.

My example had this group of QBs throwing to him over his career...Ty Detmer, Tim Couch, Spergon Wynn, Doug Pederson, Kelly Holcomb, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington.

Why does Evans get a pass on his production because of poor QBing and a carousel? Why does Evans get excuses? Why does the other guy get ousted out of the league?

justasportsfan
12-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Even TO couldn't do anything here. How could Evans?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Even TO couldn't do anything here. How could Evans?

TO can't do anything because he's washed up.

Isn't that obvious by the half assed effort we've seen since day 1?

yordad
12-30-2009, 04:02 PM
The point is my nobody example and trust me, this guy was a nobody, as evidenced by you having no clue who he is...put up just as good of a numbers in a single season and just as good in his career.

Nobody would point back to him and say he was great. Nor would he ever get a huge pay day from anyone. He didn't btw, he was cut not once, not twice but thrice.

My whole point conveys that Bills fans overrate Lee Evans as does the organization who overpaid him by a ton.

My example had this group of QBs throwing to him over his career...Ty Detmer, Tim Couch, Spergon Wynn, Doug Pederson, Kelly Holcomb, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Joey Harrington.

Why does Evans get a pass on his production because of poor QBing and a carousel? Why does Evans get excuses? Why does the other guy get ousted out of the league?Now me not having the stats for every wr in history is evidence of something too?

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Now me not having the stats for every wr in history is evidence of something too?

You fail to see the point.

Outside of Buffalo I'm sure no one really knows or cares who Lee Evans is.

Just like outside of Cleveland in 2000 I'm sure no one really knew or cared who Kevin Johnson was.

One guy gets a huge contract and one guy gets to go home. Career situation not much different. Playing on bad teams with bad QBs that had bad O-lines.

Jan Reimers
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Jerry Rice would have been mediocre with our QB clown parade of the last 5 years.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Jerry Rice would have been mediocre with our QB clown parade of the last 5 years.

If Lee Evans or Kevin Johnson could put up decent numbers with crappy QB play...

So could Jerry Rice.

Calvin Johnson put up huge numbers last year with Culpepper, Orlovsky and Kitna.

I don't get how people use this argument constantly to show that Lee Evans is being held back.

nateodoms'bff
12-30-2009, 07:50 PM
If Lee Evans or Kevin Johnson could put up decent numbers with crappy QB play...

So could Jerry Rice.

Calvin Johnson put up huge numbers last year with Culpepper, Orlovsky and Kitna.

I don't get how people use this argument constantly to show that Lee Evans is being held back.

I would ask anyone on this board to give more than 3 examples in Lee Evans career of when he a.) fought for a ball, or b.) went over the middle and used his speed to score.

Video evidence preferred.

I think a big problem for him is that he has never had another quality receiver on the opposite side. Moulds for his rookie season, and no one after that. That doesn't excuse the fact that every "#1" receiver gets double teamed, and still manages to make a play. Steve Smith who has the exact same skill set as Evans, gets double and triple teamed on every play, yet still manages to make plays. So the coverage argument can go out the window as well.

justasportsfan
12-31-2009, 11:28 AM
I would ask anyone on this board to give more than 3 examples in Lee Evans career of when he a.) fought for a ball, or b.) went over the middle and used his speed to score.

Video evidence preferred.
It's easy to sit back and say that he doesn't run this and that route but who knows what routes his coaches have asked him to run? One things for sure, he's been in a system that wants to play not to lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxkXH6gZ08&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwp5E3fV91U&feature=related

1:00, 1:45 , 2:17 He runs up the middle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFnD-qvDTxo&feature=related

thats more than 3 examples with the little videos thats on youtube. If there were more videos I'm sure there'd be more proof to debunk your opinion.

I think a big problem for him is that he has never had another quality receiver on the opposite side. Moulds for his rookie season, and no one after that. That doesn't excuse the fact that every "#1" receiver gets double teamed, and still manages to make a play. Steve Smith who has the exact same skill set as Evans, gets double and triple teamed on every play, yet still manages to make plays. So the coverage argument can go out the window as well.

These guys that get double teamed for the most part have had competent qb , a good coach , decent OL and a good system.

All Lee's had were carousel in the OL, QB, coaches and system.

justasportsfan
12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
TO can't do anything because he's washed up.

Isn't that obvious by the half assed effort we've seen since day 1?

he's not doing anything different from what he's done in the past as far as what is percieved to be lack of effort and dropped balls. He's *****ed and dropped balls with Dallas and still had over 1000 yards. He comes here and he craps because the coaches and the qb's suck. You yourself said the qb's suck so there is a valid reason to think that affects a wr's performance.

Syderick
12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Lee Evans is underrated. He doesn't get the many oppurtunities from the bad QB play.

Griff
12-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Are you really attempting to argue that a WRs #s are not effected by the quality of the QBing?

apparently funtimes thinks either of us could QB and Lee would have the same stats.

nateodoms'bff
12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
It's easy to sit back and say that he doesn't run this and that route but who knows what routes his coaches have asked him to run? One things for sure, he's been in a system that wants to play not to lose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sxkXH6gZ08&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwp5E3fV91U&feature=related

1:00, 1:45 , 2:17 He runs up the middle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFnD-qvDTxo&feature=related

thats more than 3 examples with the little videos thats on youtube. If there were more videos I'm sure there'd be more proof to debunk your opinion.

These guys that get double teamed for the most part have had competent qb , a good coach , decent OL and a good system.

All Lee's had were carousel in the OL, QB, coaches and system.

ok, so you posted evidence of Evans being able to catch the bomb from Losman, and make an amazing catch in the corner of the endzone. But you failed to answer my challenge. That catch against the Jets (even though its a catch) was actually in Revis' hands until Elam mowed him down and popped the ball loose. Evans made a great play on the ball. But beyond that, where are the examples of him playing like a #1?

The third video is all highlights of bombs. some of the routes are post patterns, but thats different than going over the middle. I hope you understand the difference.

Evans is a good receiver. Have his numbers suffered because of terrible QB play and no O-Line, absolutely. However, elite players make plays regardless of who is around them. Steve Smith is a prime example. Chris Johnson this year is another, although he plays a different position. Evans is a good receiver, but he is not a 10 million dollar a year Elite talent.

His star just seems to shine brighter in a dark sky.

doomsdayvirus
12-31-2009, 12:51 PM
both evans and schobel are good players who wasted their whole careers on a bad team. they might not have been hall of famers elsewhere, but they'd be above average B+ grade players or higher.

T.O. is lucky he only wasted a year with us.

justasportsfan
12-31-2009, 02:25 PM
ok, so you posted evidence of Evans being able to catch the bomb from Losman, and make an amazing catch in the corner of the endzone. But you failed to answer my challenge. That catch against the Jets (even though its a catch) was actually in Revis' hands until Elam mowed him down and popped the ball loose. Evans made a great play on the ball. But beyond that, where are the examples of him playing like a #1?
The third video is all highlights of bombs. some of the routes are post patterns, but thats different than going over the middle. I hope you understand the difference.. now you're looking for mistakes after I posted PROOF of what you asked for? . He fought for the ball ,ran up the middle , and used his speed.

Evans is a good receiver. Have his numbers suffered because of terrible QB play and no O-Line, absolutely. However, elite players make plays regardless of who is around them. Steve Smith is a prime example. Chris Johnson this year is another, although he plays a different position. Evans is a good receiver, but he is not a 10 million dollar a year Elite talent.

His star just seems to shine brighter in a dark sky.

NO wr could've succeeded here under the circumstances he's been through. I'm not saying he's great but I don't think he should be faulted for the problems of this team either. There wasn't any consistency in most of the areas of the offense that were vital.

even if we had Fitz and Chad here, they wouldn't have done anything if the qb was too scared to throw the ball or the HC wanted a ball control type of offence. Play not to lose.

It doesn't take a genius to know that to take both Lee and TO out of the game is to harrass the qbs who aren't very good to begin with . Attack the OL and you make the wr's useless.

The bills all these years were forced to make our TE's block. That leaves the D to defend Lee and TO and no one else in the passing game. Maybe dink and dunk to either Reed or the rb's. Well that's exactly what happened and yet Lee gets blamed for that?

Until we have a real OC ,OL and QB , no one is going to succeed here. NOt even Rice in his prime

Mr. Pink
12-31-2009, 02:29 PM
apparently funtimes thinks either of us could QB and Lee would have the same stats.

No I'm saying an ELITE talent gets his numbers from anyone who is able to QB at the NFL level. You, I or yordad couldn't QB at that level. Trent and/or JP as bad as they are, could.

There's numerous examples of players who can put up numbers no matter who the QB is. I gave two thus far.

One guy was elite and the other was a bum.

I'm not saying Evans is on either end of the spectrum because to be honest he's somewhere in the middle.

What I am saying is he's overrated by this fanbase and gives excuses as to why he doesn't succeed as do the fans of his.

Typ0
12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
no one knows what Evans would do in another situation. He hasn't proven himself. He hasn't had the chance. Hopefully, things with the QB position will get ironed out here and he'll get that chance and be really good.

nateodoms'bff
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
now you're looking for mistakes after I posted PROOF of what you asked for? . He fought for the ball ,ran up the middle , and used his speed.

NO wr could've succeeded here under the circumstances he's been through. I'm not saying he's great but I don't think he should be faulted for the problems of this team either. There wasn't any consistency in most of the areas of the offense that were vital.

even if we had Fitz and Chad here, they wouldn't have done anything if the qb was too scared to throw the ball or the HC wanted a ball control type of offence. Play not to lose.

It doesn't take a genius to know that to take both Lee and TO out of the game is to harrass the qbs who aren't very good to begin with . Attack the OL and you make the wr's useless.

The bills all these years were forced to make our TE's block. That leaves the D to defend Lee and TO and no one else in the passing game. Maybe dink and dunk to either Reed or the rb's. Well that's exactly what happened and yet Lee gets blamed for that?

Until we have a real OC ,OL and QB , no one is going to succeed here. NOt even Rice in his prime

im not looking for mistakes, merely using your evidence to strengthen my argument.

I asked for video evidence that Lee Evans is a complete, legitimate #1 receiver. You posted evidence of him being a deep threat exclusively. Granted the catch in the miami game was phenomenal. But 1 catch over the course of 7 seasons, does not make for an elite receiver. Not even close.

Evans is a great deep threat, maybe one of the best in the league. But he is not the consistent playmaker that he is made out to be.