PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly chiming in

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:16 PM
"You talk about Bill Cowher. You know that he’s enthusiastic. He takes no bull. If we can get Bill Cowher, that’s great."

THATHURMANATOR
Where is that from?

patmoran2006
DO NOT THINK FOR A SECOND KELLY DOESNT HAVE WILSON AND NIX'S EAR, NOT FOR A SECOND

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
"This is where we start the decade team of the Buffalo Bills"

“First thing Buddy said, ‘I want to sit down with you after the season.’ I would love to get involved somehow.. but not in coaching.”

Dying_-2-_Live
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Kelly know's what he is talking about
Cowher FTW
Schotty is seemingly an option apparently... But i honestly thik Cowher is even MORE realistic than marty-ball...He has said over and over that he is done

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Where is that from?

he's at the Ralph with Thurm

DBrown77
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
is Cowher the answer? He had a lot of mediocre years.

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:25 PM
is Cowher the answer? He had a lot of mediocre years.

9 Division titles in 15 years, and 3 losing seasons in 15 years is a lot of losing seasons?

BillsWin
12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Here is my opinion on the coaching situation.

I think Marty Ball is a real possibility. But I truly believe this was a prelude to Cowher becoming the next Bills head coach.

Buddy Nix and Cowher go way back to Cowher's first days in the nfl in Cleveland.

Nix got to see Cowher grow and teach his players from being a special teams coach to secondary coach. All this under Marty.

Cowher says he doesn't need absolute power, he just needs a GM he can work with. I believe that guy is Buddy. Who said in his press conference that there has to be communication between the HC and GM.

With the news that Cowher was meeting face to face with Bills officials in the past two weeks and Buddy was asked about becoming the GM roughly 8 days ago, the math is starting to make sense.

Plus, spending less on a GM means we have the money to pay a big name coach.

I still think we are in the running for Cowher. It is just my opinion.

m76
link?

DBrown77
9 Division titles in 15 years, and 3 losing seasons in 15 years is a lot of losing seasons? i havent looked up the numbers, but i thought i rememebr him struggling in the 90's. Although I wouldnt be opposed to him being the coach, I am warming up to the Shotty idea....at least then we may make it to the playoffs although probably not win in the playoffs

billsburgh
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
9 Division titles in 15 years, and 3 losing seasons in 15 years is a lot of losing seasons?
excellent coach, but not very good in AFC championship games at home. Even so, I would love to have him as the HC.

mikemac2001
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
excellent coach, but not very good in AFC championship games at home. Even so, I would love to have him as the HC.

because he wasn't at the ralph

kscdogbillsfan1221
12-31-2009, 03:46 PM
at this point, i just wanna play a meaningful game in january, much less go to the afc championship game every year. i guess my standards have dropped horrifically.

Philagape
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Cowher has a ring, the conversation begins there as far as I'm concerned. And on top of that, he's a career winner.

He's the slam-dunk dream candidate out of anyone out there. No one else touches him.

Yasgur's Farm
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Cowher has a ring, the conversation begins there as far as I'm concerned. And on top of that, he's a career winner.

He's the slam-dunk dream candidate out of anyone out there. No one else touches him.That about wraps up that argument. To summarize what Phil said... IT DON'T GET NO BETTER THAN COWHER!

Demon
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
at this point, i just wanna play a meaningful game in january, much less go to the afc championship game every year. i guess my standards have dropped horrifically.
We almost did this season. God damn Jets.

ALL D
12-31-2009, 04:51 PM
DO NOT THINK FOR A SECOND KELLY DOESNT HAVE WILSON AND NIX'S EAR, NOT FOR A SECOND

you mean Wilson's hearing aid?

Demon
12-31-2009, 04:58 PM

Is he in Ralph's ear? Sure. But guess what, he's been doing it for years with no avail. Now, people thought Ralph is ready to change and listen. And nobody knows what goes on between those two except for what Thurman Thomas keeps calling a "big splash".... and the BIG SPLASH is Buddy effin NIX?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

And i'm to believe KELLY is going to convince Ralph to hire BILL COWHER?

Akhippo
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
He took a team to the superbowl with Neil ODonell. Who by the way gave it away to Larry Brown.

His teams physically beat up our teams during those years. I remember prime time games where the hitting was brutal.

He won with Kordell Stewart, playoffs with a rookie QB. He brings INSTANT credibility. Thats what I need right now.

Akhippo
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Is he in Ralph's ear? Sure. But guess what, he's been doing it for years with no avail. Now, people thought Ralph is ready to change and listen. And nobody knows what goes on between those two except for what Thurman Thomas keeps calling a "big splash".... and the BIG SPLASH is Buddy effin NIX?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?

And i'm to believe KELLY is going to convince Ralph to hire BILL COWHER?

I think Kelly actually has a direct pipeline now. Before he had to just throw his two cents into a black hole and hoped it was pickuped by whomever ran the show.

Now, if im hearing this correctly, he has a clear channel. His mouth to Nixs ear to implementation. Not that its as simple as that, but Kelly may have more pull having the ear of someone closer to the action.

Demon
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
He took a team to the superbowl with Neil ODonell. Who by the way gave it away to Larry Brown.

His teams physically beat up our teams during those years. I remember prime time games where the hitting was brutal.

He won with Kordell Stewart, playoffs with a rookie QB. He brings INSTANT credibility. Thats what I need right now.

We also needed to clean house. And we also needed to get new blood in here and hire somebody who knows what their doing not a 70 year old project.

Things don't always play out the way they need to. Especially when Ralph Wilson is your owner.

Ingtar33
12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
excellent coach, but not very good in AFC championship games at home.

are bills fans really at the point they'd complain about Cowher because he lost a few AFC championship games? who the F%@! do we think we are? Because last i checked no one wanted to coach here we're such a well run franchise.

So you're going to be picky about one of the finest coaches in the league? dear god someone wake me up, sometimes bills fans defy belief (yes i know you said you'd like him here.. but really.. what the heck?!).

Call me up when you can name one other football coach that made it to an AFC championship game with Kordell -freaking- Stewart at QB.

thank you for injecting some sanity.

DMBcrew36
12-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Who cares about Jimbo. Is he going to have some of his mistresses give Cowher BJs to come here? If no one wants to come here, Jim Kelly pleading with them isn't going to change a damn thing. The situation is f**ked and Jim Kelly can't change that.

CoolBreeze
12-31-2009, 11:38 PM
We also needed to clean house. And we also needed to get new blood in here and hire somebody who knows what their doing not a 70 year old project.

Things don't always play out the way they need to. Especially when Ralph Wilson is your owner.
I wouldn't call a guy who has held the title of Assistant GM/ Director of Player personnel with the San Diego Chargers a project. Not to mention his experience as head coach, assistant coach, and scout. There is something of a clean house going on that's for sure. Something major is going to change. Kelly and Thomas are going to hold active roles within the organization. I think most of the coaching staff, if not all, will be gone, as well as many of the players. You are right. Cleaning house has to happen. Afterall, an organization that has consistently missed on draft picks and overpaid for below average free agents, has to have something change. To me, bringing in a guy such as Buddy Nix, who has a proven track record is a good start.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 03:48 AM
I love this quote....

Do you think the Bills have a realistic chance of landing a Bill Cowher or another top tier coach in his category?

" Oh, There's no doubt. I think Buddy hit it good where he said "There's coaches out there that really look at a challenge like this and might want that challenge." Again, um, from what I understand. Mr. Wilson said "You know what, we need to get top, let's go for it." I don't know if I've ever heard that said before, but I think Mr. Wilson is 100% committed to do whatever it takes to get a coach in here that's going to change this franchise around. Like Buddy said "I've come in here to change this and to win. I'm getting older." Well Mr. Wilson is definitely getting older and there's no doubt about it that he wants to change this around and we'd love to do this for him. Hopefully they'll find someone that has the same passion...See, you guys didn't talk to Buddy when I did back there. The passion that he had in his voice when he was talking to us and talking to me, you could tell that the guy wants to win and he wants to win now."

YardRat
01-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Actually, it's eight.

Five were in his first six seasons after taking over from Noll, and he won three more over his last 9 years. Interesting fact is the year they won it all they finished second in the North.

And...Not that I'm being critical by any means, but until they won the SB in his next-to-last season he did have a rep (like Schotty) for under-achieving in the playoffs, especially at home.

Not passing judgement, just stating facts.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:40 AM
There is only one coach a year that is not open to being critisized for underachieving in the playoffs.

Historian
01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Essentially, the Bills have rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.

"Nix is a real football guy!" Well duh! you're a football team. It only took you ten losing seasons to figure out you need a football man to run the operation???? Sheesh!!!

The ONLY thing that gives me any glimmer of hope is the TT and JK are now intimately involved.

Personal lives aside, they both played with a unrivaled passion. I am confident they will bring that passion to whatever position they now posess. They both have been away from the game just long enough to want to be immersed in it again.

That being said, I still think Cowher is a fantasy at this point. My money would be on Fassel/Haslett....perhaps Schotzy.

don137
01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I feel Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Darryl Talley represent the pulse and voice of most Bills fans and Wilson is listening to them.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 09:01 AM
There's one thing from Kelly's press conference that I gotta ask about....

Why did Jim Kelly talk about Frank Reich? Is he going to be joining our team after the season is over? Isn't he the QB coach of the Colts? :scratch:

YardRat
01-01-2010, 09:17 AM
There is only one coach a year that is not open to being critisized for underachieving in the playoffs.

That's a little too simplistic, and incorrect. Reputations are built over time.