PDA

View Full Version : And hereeeee we go

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:38 PM
You can expect Bill Cowher to be named as the Bills TOP priority in a head coaching search.

I dont have any listed sources, so this nothing more than a rumor.. for now.

But based on what Jim Kelly said and some other mumblings I've heard, the Bills are going to put their best foot forward after Cowher.

This is only going to be FUELED by news today that Marty S doesnt want to return to coaching

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-schottenheimer-insists-hes-done-with-coaching/

Demon
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
10 minutes ago you predicted Marty. lol which one is it?

BillsWin
12-31-2009, 02:39 PM
that is what i have been saying for a while. Bill Cowher is and will continue to be the number one priority. Offer him anything he wants.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
You can expect Bill Cowher to be named as the Bills TOP priority in a head coaching search.

I dont have any listed sources, so this nothing more than a rumor.. for now.

But based on what Jim Kelly said and some other mumblings I've heard, the Bills are going to put their best foot forward after Cowher.

This is only going to be FUELED by news today that Marty S doesnt want to return to coaching

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/12/31/marty-schottenheimer-insists-hes-done-with-coaching/

What did Jim Kelly say?

Mr. Pink
12-31-2009, 02:41 PM
So what's the plan after Cowher?

Who else is on the list?

I wanna know realistically who we're likely to get.

billsburgh
12-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Didnt they supposedly put their best foot forward with Shanahan? Wasn't he the top priority a month ago?

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:42 PM

I didnt predict Cowher is our next coach...

And I didnt know 10 minutes ago Marty aint interested in coming back either.

My guess is as good as yours.

Im just saying expect the BIlls to make a major cowher push

Typ0

Who else is on the list?

The staff cowher wants.

mikemac2001
Didnt they supposedly put their best foot forward with Shanahan? Wasn't he the top priority a month ago?

it didn;t really seem like that but hey never know

seems like they had a talk and said gonna wait till end of the season

kinda same situation with cowher but shanny took was

and cowher is still out there and look its the end of the season

SquishDaFish
Like I said all along from when Marty talked on Sirius. Marty will NOT coach again! He is happy with what he is doing.

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:43 PM

Who else is on the list?

Dennis Greene.
LOL

TrEd FTW
We're gonna end up with some career loser.

bigbub2352
There is a report on buffalobills.com message board that adam sheftner is reporting the same thin on espn

Demon

Who else is on the list?

Anyone willing to work for $2 million or less per year is on the list. I would think Fassel, Haslett and Martz are very high on the list.

Mr. Pink
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Dennis Greene.
LOL

That's a better answer than Haslett.

Sadly I think Dennis Green is more likely the HC next year than Cowher though.

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Martz was my pick over a month ago, before all this GM stuff came about, and I really never want to be wrong more in my life.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/a-case-for-mike-martz/

Mr. Pink
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Seriously though, are there any other known candidates at this time?

Or are we on the Cowher or bust trail with no plan B?

jimbohastle51
12-31-2009, 02:48 PM
you can rule out young assistants and coordinators with no head coaching expirience because nix made it clear he wants a TEACHER and he isnt going to hire a 35 year old coach that never even played college ball at a high level or has never been a head coach before. they will make a strong push for marty and cowher and if they dont land one then my guess is weis. he is an x's and o's guy and is known for being a great teacher as well as the offensive type we have been told all along the bills want.

DBrown77
12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Wayne Fontes

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
[quote=FunTimesYaY!]Seriously though, are there any other known candidates at this time?

Not a "known" candidate in terms of being linked.

But maybe Billick?

Nighthawk
12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
That's a better answer than Haslett.

Sadly I think Dennis Green is more likely the HC next year than Cowher though.

I will seriously want to beat the s**t out of Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix if they hire Haslett. This guy is another version of Jauron...just pathetic!

BillsWin
12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Billick is a darkhorse.

billsburgh
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
maybe they can pry Dave Wanstedt away from the University of Pittsburgh.

Luisito23
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
We're gonna end up with some career loser.

Experienced loser.

jimbohastle51
12-31-2009, 02:55 PM
I will seriously want to beat the s**t out of Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix if they hire Haslett. This guy is another version of Jauron...just pathetic!

not going to happen. he is either going to hire a marty or cowher or it will be weis. and how we can all prove that weis is one of the top candidates is you wait and see, he will not take a job until the bills job is filled (unless he is hire by the bills of course). and shortly after that if he isnt hired by buffalo he will be back with New England or in Cleveland

BigZ
12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
The one thing I will say about a coaching search is that after listening to the press conference and reading Nix's resume I feel like any of the coaching candidates out there will take Buddy Nix from the Bills much more seriously when they talk than listening to Russ Brandon.

Buddy knows football and doesn't sound like a big ego guy ("I've never been accused of being the smartest guy in the room").

If you were being interviewed to rebuild and coach a football team and had a pretty good resume yourself (someone like Cower or Weiss) don't you think that Buddy might make you feel like your point of view was important?

Who knows, he might even get Marty to rethink his situation.

Like Pat said, here we go!

Michael82
12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm more excited with this Buddy Nix hire because I think that it means that the team is going to throw EVERYTHING at Bill Cowher or even Marty. We hired a non-name GM and now they gotta convince the fans that they want to win and to do that, I see them going strongly after Cowher and hopefully his relationship with Nix will help.

Saratoga Slim
01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan were asked their thoughts about the HC job on Tuesday, and they said they don't think Cowher is very likely. The name they came up with was Ron Rivera - said that he's way overdue for a head coaching gig, and that he'd be a rock solid choice.

more cowbell
01-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Wayne Fontes

hahahahah!

PromoTheRobot
01-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Which way is the wind blowing?

PTR

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 12:59 PM
From everything I know this is all in Cowher's court right now.

It's not "expect" the Bills to make a major push for him.

They already have - and are.....as I stated Tuesday.

Let's face it, the guy has options. There are a lot of factors involved, I'm sure. But the Bills are doing everything they can to get him. That guarantees nothing, though.

I will say though, that no news is good news at this point.

And what's most interesting to me right now is that NO ONE from either the Bills or Cowher's side has come out with any kind of denials regarding their "push" for him or his "interest" in the Bills. I think that should speak volumes more than anything else at this point.

HHURRICANE
01-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Cowher is not coming to Buffalo.

Nix was an inner circle hire by Wilson. I expect that we'll get another unproven loser in here. Sounds Like Marty's kid will be in the mix.

Night Train
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Bottom line. Would Nix, Kelly, Thurman and anyone with some actual football smarts ( notice I left out the known stooges still currently employed at OBD ) be able to talk Cowher into coming here ?

I don't even question the $$ issue anymore, since it's reported they'll basically pay anything he wants.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 01:07 PM

Let's face it, the guy has options. There are a lot of factors involved, I'm sure. But the Bills are doing everything they can to get him. That guarantees nothing, though.

And what's most interesting to me right now is that NO ONE from either the Bills or Cowher's side has come out with any kind of denials regarding their "push" for him or his "interest" in the Bills. I think that should speak volumes more than anything else at this point.
Thanks Sal! I was thinking the same thing. No news is definitely good news and I was shocked that the Bills and Cowher both have kept completely quiet about any meetings and talks and neither of them denied it. The Bills didn't even give it a "No Comment". Plus after watching the press conferences yesterday, it obvious that Bill Cowher is #1 on their list and they want him really bad. I just hope he feels that he would like to come to Buffalo too. Like I said before...here's to hoping that both Carolina and Tampa Bay keep their coaches.... :pray:

The question I have for you Sal...if he is the guy that the Bills want and they want him badly and both Carolina and Tampa Bay keep their coaches...if Cowher is interested in coming here...how quickly do you think it would happen?

Oldbillsfan
01-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Bring in the Chin!

Luisito23
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't even question the $$ issue anymore

:rolleyes:

Night Train
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM

They went all the way to Denver to offer Shanny $30 an hour and a '05 Ford Focus ?

SquishDaFish
01-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Cowher is not coming to Buffalo.

Nix was an inner circle hire by Wilson. I expect that we'll get another unproven loser in here. Sounds Like Marty's kid will be in the mix.

WOW can you look into the future and let me know what college my daughter is going to go to seeing you know it all. I wish the LOSER posters from this board and fans of this team would just leave and go elsewhere.

Luisito23
01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
It's much easier to offer someone any amount of money when you know for sure they will never come here Night Train.

THATHURMANATOR
01-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone willing to work for $2 million or less per year is on the list. I would think Fassel, Haslett and Martz are very high on the list.
Jauron was making over 3 mil by the way

HHURRICANE
01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
WOW can you look into the future and let me know what college my daughter is going to go to seeing you know it all. I wish the LOSER posters from this board and fans of this team would just leave and go elsewhere.

Seriously, you are in dream land if you think Cowher is coming here. The Nix hire now, more than ever, proves that the Bills are going to go safe again.

Sullivan's article today summed it up nicely.

Demon
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM

It's just another indication that the two sides have not met and don't talk. One thing your source claimed was we were one of the most stable organizations and thats one reason why Cowher was so "interested" in. If that were to be the case, how come multiple people have reported that the Bills ASKED people from outside the organization to interview for GM and even threw loads of money at them and yet NOBODY interviewed except Guy, Modrak and Nix because just like Shanny, Gruden, and Cowher, the GMs turned us down.

SquishDaFish
01-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Seriously, you are in dream land if you think Cowher is coming here. The Nix hire now, more than ever, proves that the Bills are going to go safe again.

Sullivan's article today summed it up nicely.

Of course its a dream but its a dream that CAN come true. So we are hoping yes. Nix has a very long and good resume. Like was posted earlier if we hired him directly from SD and not within everyone would be applauding this move. So give the guy a break his resume alone should give him that. Lets see what he does with his hires and go from there Mr. Negative Nancy

Night Train
01-01-2010, 01:43 PM
It's much easier to offer someone any amount of money when you know for sure they will never come here Night Train.

It's much easier to talk on he phone about phoney offers than fly out to Denver for appearances.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Our local beat reporter, Mark Gaughan said the 10 Mil offer was legit according to his sources but what does he know, right ?

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
It's just another indication that the two sides have not met and don't talk. One thing your source claimed was we were one of the most stable organizations and thats one reason why Cowher was so "interested" in. If that were to be the case, how come multiple people have reported that the Bills ASKED people from outside the organization to interview for GM and even threw loads of money at them and yet NOBODY interviewed except Guy, Modrak and Nix because just like Shanny, Gruden, and Cowher, the GMs turned us down.

I get you don't believe me, and unless Bill Cowher is hired by the Bills, never will.

That's fine.

But I know for a fact they met about two weeks ago.

All I can do is report it.

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
The question I have for you Sal...if he is the guy that the Bills want and they want him badly and both Carolina and Tampa Bay keep their coaches...if Cowher is interested in coming here...how quickly do you think it would happen?

My guess - and only my guess on this part - is that the Bills will try their hardest to have him sign before any other openings come up, knowing there will otherwise be competition, maybe even moreso then they originally thought.....but that Cowher will want to wait to see what other openings there may be.

He could still decide to stay in TV for another year, although all indications are that he's ready to return.

Goobylal
01-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Reportedly Cowher is interested in Tampa and Carolina, ahead of Buffalo. The problems there are that Tampa just hired a new coach this past off-season and just came of a huge upset win over the previously 13-1 Saints. So Morris likely isn't going anywhere. As for Carolina, the Panthers want to keep Fox, likely because 2011 is looking like a lockout year with no football. It's doubtful they'd want to fire Fox, pay him his 2010 salary and hire someone, only to have to pay them for 2011 when there's no football being played. At least if they let Fox play-out his contract, they can hire a coach after 2010 if it looks like a 2011 season will be played, or before 2012, if it won't.

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Reportedly Cowher is interested in Tampa and Carolina, ahead of Buffalo. The problems there are that Tampa just hired a new coach this past off-season and just came of a huge upset win over the previously 13-1 Saints. So Morris likely isn't going anywhere.

The biggest issues with Tampa are:
--The Glazers are already still paying Jon Gruden's remaining contract, and would have to pay Morris', as well, if they fired him. That's paying for three coaches (counting the new one) and if it were Cowher, it would be big money. That's a lot of jack to fork over....not to mention all the assistants who already are and then would still have to be paid.

--The Galzers also own Manchester United. Word is they pay upwards of $60 million/year just on the interest alone of the loan they took to pay for the team. I'm not sure what their philosophy is on one business' financial effecting anther's operation, but that would have to cause them pause, I would think.

As for Carolina, the Panthers want to keep Fox, likely because 2011 is looking like a lockout year with no football. It's doubtful they'd want to fire Fox, pay him his 2010 salary and hire someone, only to have to pay them for 2011 when there's no football being played. At least if they let Fox play-out his contract, they can hire a coach after 2010 if it looks like a 2011 season will be played, or before 2012, if it won't.

I'm not too sure anyone will be paid if there's no football in 2011. I think, maybe, all contracts just roll over to 2012. There has to be some provision for that somewhere?!

Demon
01-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I get you don't believe me, and unless Bill Cowher is hired by the Bills, never will.

That's fine.

But I know for a fact they met about two weeks ago.

All I can do is report it.

Wrong. I do believe you. I just don't believe your source. I think he really twisted some words around and misled you which has made thousands upon thousands of fans to hope and dream of Cowher with false hope. Has this source talked to you since the "report" and is he still confident in what he has fed you?

You have to admit, my point makes sense. How did the Bills "talk" to Cowher and sell him on the stability of the franchise, while John Clayton reports they tried to lure outsiders for interviews but nobody wanted to come. How come those people were not sold on the stability but somehow Cowher, was?

Don't Panic
01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan were asked their thoughts about the HC job on Tuesday, and they said they don't think Cowher is very likely. The name they came up with was Ron Rivera - said that he's way overdue for a head coaching gig, and that he'd be a rock solid choice.

Rivera... that's the first I've heard of him. He would be a good fit if he had a little more experience. In the end I just can't see us going coordinator this time around.

Goobylal
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
--The Glazers are already still paying Jon Gruden's remaining contract, and would have to pay Morris', as well, if they fired him. That's paying for three coaches (counting the new one) and if it were Cowher, it would be big money. That's a lot of jack to fork over....not to mention all the assistants who already are and then would still have to be paid.

--The Galzers also own Manchester United. Word is they pay upwards of $60 million/year just on the interest alone of the loan they took to pay for the team. I'm not sure what their philosophy is on one business' financial effecting anther's operation, but that would have to cause them pause, I would think.
Yeah, I really don't see the Bucs signing him. Even moreso after learning they'll still be paying Gruden's salary and the Man U. thing.

I'm not too sure anyone will be paid if there's no football in 2011. I think, maybe, all contracts just roll over to 2012. There has to be some provision for that somewhere?!
I thought I read that coaches will still be paid. Although there is something the owners can do to not have to pay them, but it really wouldn't sit well with the coaches and thus probably won't be done.

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Wrong. I do believe you. I just don't believe your source. I think he really twisted some words around and misled you which has made thousands upon thousands of fans to hope and dream of Cowher with false hope. Has this source talked to you since the "report" and is he still confident in what he has fed you?

You have to admit, my point makes sense. How did the Bills "talk" to Cowher and sell him on the stability of the franchise, while John Clayton reports they tried to lure outsiders for interviews but nobody wanted to come. How come those people were not sold on the stability but somehow Cowher, was?

Yeah, you're point would make sense except for the fact that you're wrong.

My source is lock solid.

But no one's stopping you from believing what you want to believe. I may feel the same way if the roles were reversed.

I just always think it's amusing that people automatically assume that someone on a message board can't possibly ever actually know people who know things. Or know the actually "players" involved in something big.

Seriously. How do you not know that I don't know Bill Cowher himself? Do you know that? Do you assume that I can't simply because I post on a message board? How do you know that I don't know his agent? Or his brother? Or maybe my wife knows his wife? Maybe they play Bridge together ever Tuesday night?

Is it possible that through over a decade of coaching in (arguably) the best state in the country for HS football, attending countless clinics and conferences, that maybe, just maybe, I've been able to develop some interesting and close relationships with certain people who may be involved in these kinds of things?

I also host a weekly live TV sports talk show in Sarasota, Florida. Is it possible that maybe I know people within the Bucs organization that have talked to Bill Cowher and know where he stands?

Why does someone like John Clayton automatically have to "know" more people closer to the situation? Because he has 4 letters at the end f his name (E-S-P-N)? Is that a requirement to "know" people? To have people trust you when they tell you information?

Did you ever think that Clayton, Mort, Schefter, etc., simply don't know the RIGHT people all the time?

Again, it's not that I don't understand that people are skeptical of something like this being reported by someone like me. What always gets me more is the assumption that someone like me...or you...or anyone else for that matter, can't possibly know people who know things.

If Bill Cowher does not become the Bills next HC, I know all the haters will throw it back at me that I was wrong. But we all know that's not what I said at all.

All I can do is stand by what I reported. Everyone else is, of course, free to believe what they wish.

Ebenezer
01-01-2010, 10:05 PM

I have been in Tampa for a week busy but aware what is going on around. I haven't heard one word (from the press) that Morris is going to be fired or that they are talking, interested or mentioned Cowher taking over for him. Usually there is something in the local press when somebody is about to get tanked.

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I have been in Tampa for a week busy but aware what is going on around. I haven't heard one word (from the press) that Morris is going to be fired or that they are talking, interested or mentioned Cowher taking over for him. Usually there is something in the local press when somebody is about to get tanked.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/dec/29/cowher-would-bring-buccaneers-buzz-back-what-price/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4773962

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20091229/ARTICLE/912291037/2050/SPORTS?Title=Glazers-leaning-to-Cowher-

620 WDAE talked about it quite a bit the other day and actually mentioned my Cowher report.

BidsJr
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I was in Tampa the week leading up to Christmas and also heard not a peep about a coaching change.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2010, 10:12 PM
people just are so tired of being dissapointed that they will attack any thing hopeful so they are not crushed yet again

Ebenezer
01-01-2010, 10:15 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/dec/29/cowher-would-bring-buccaneers-buzz-back-what-price/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20091229/ARTICLE/912291037/2050/SPORTS?Title=Glazers-leaning-to-Cowher-

620 WDAE talked about it quite a bit the other day and actually mentioned my Cowher report.

We don't get the Sarasota news and on the 29th I was in Orlando...:doh:

Demon
01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
If Bill Cowher does not become the Bills next HC, I know all the haters will throw it back at me that I was wrong. But we all know that's not what I said at all.

All I can do is stand by what I reported. Everyone else is, of course, free to believe what they wish.

I doubt that. However, at some point down the line, if Cowher stays with CBS or goes to coach Tampa/Carolina, it will leak out that the Bills did in fact speak with him. Which, according to you, they have been for 2 or so weeks. But, i'm not talking about Cowher really because as you said, you made it pretty clear even though we're still in it, we're still a darkhorse with him hoping for Carolina or Tampa and nobody knows what they will end up doing.

My point here is on the major news you reported from the source. That Cowher was sold on the stability of the team. And how we are one of the most stable teams in the league. You said, the source wasn't from the Bills, it was from Cowher's side, so somehow, Bills must have proved to him they are stable and have a plan set for the future once Ralph Wilson passes away. Clayton said we tried to get outsiders with no avail. Buffalo News said the sad stability is the reason why we're staying in-house and probably now have the least paid GM in the league (only guessing). So, i'm just wondering, how could it be that we tried to get GMs come to a dream job (only 32 openings in the NFL) of building their own team. The obvious reasons, no stability, lack of money, control freak Ralphie.

But, that's way different then what you reported. If i just can not believe this, how can i believe the Cowher thing, is what i am saying. If you had only reported the Cowher thing, i would believe it because you have proven yourself in the past. I just can't get passed the whole fact that we've been unstable for years and as we enter a new decade and quite possibily the last decade of Bills in Buffalo, it's maybe as unstable as ever. But, according to you, we are stable.

I am trying to believe it, and i'm way passed the Cowher part. I'm just focused on the stability part of it. It's been on my mind for days and if i have such a hard time believing it, i'm assuming the same source is for Cowher, then i just can not believe that either.

See what i'm trying to say?

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM
See what i'm trying to say?

Completely.

Believe me, it makes as little sense to me, too. Which is why I knew I'd sound like a fool saying it, yet was confident enough in the source to do so.

The one thing I hope and pray is that the Bills just aren't putting up smoke and mirrors for a guy like Cowher to try and lure him. You know, make it seem as if it were a lot better situation than it is?

But people like that don't make big decisions dealing with millions of dollars without doing their research and diligence. That's another reason I don't doubt it.

tampabay25690
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Sal
I did mention your report on ESPN 1040 the other day.

tampabay25690
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I was in Tampa the week leading up to Christmas and also heard not a peep about a coaching change.

I hear it all the time....
My GUT says that Raheem is kept on as head coach...

Novacane
01-01-2010, 11:27 PM
. Clayton said we tried to get outsiders with no avail.

Maybe Clayton is just wrong. Ever think of that? I may be wrong but I don't think teams can interview other teams employees during the season. If thats the case then Clayton is full of ****. Like you said. GM is the job NFL guys dream of and there are only 32 of them and only a few openings each year. Clayton wants us to believe not a single one of them was interested in the job. Sorry but I think Clayton is just making **** up.

SquishDaFish
01-02-2010, 05:46 AM
I never liked Clayton either. Hes an idiot

Demon
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe Clayton is just wrong. Ever think of that? I may be wrong but I don't think teams can interview other teams employees during the season. If thats the case then Clayton is full of ****. Like you said. GM is the job NFL guys dream of and there are only 32 of them and only a few openings each year. Clayton wants us to believe not a single one of them was interested in the job. Sorry but I think Clayton is just making **** up.

Why would he mention it if he didn't know it for a fact?

And there is several people Bills could have went after who are not employed.

Novacane
01-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Those talking heads on ESPN report things all the time that they are later proven wrong about so yes I say we would say it not knowing the facts of the situation. I think Ralph(he said so at the presser) did not even bother to look outside the organization so how could all this list of people have turned down the job?

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Well, he does that a lot. I remember him saying last year that Jauron shouldn't be fired because the Bills fans liked him and then Schopp & Bulldog had to break it to him that he was despised in Buffalo. He doesn't know everything...

Novacane
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Well, he does that a lot. I remember him saying last year that Jauron shouldn't be fired because the Bills fans liked him and then Schopp & Bulldog had to break it to him that he was despised in Buffalo. He doesn't know everything...

:lmao: OMG!!! I had not heard that one. It's official. Clayton has zero credibility when it comes to anything Bills related.

Ebenezer
01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Those talking heads on ESPN report things all the time that they are later proven wrong about so yes I say we would say it not knowing the facts of the situation. I think Ralph(he said so at the presser) did not even bother to look outside the organization so how could all this list of people have turned down the job?
...regrettably, that is what happens when you get 24/7 reporting...