PDA

View Full Version : Article: NEW DIRECTION: Nix will build through draft

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
At his press conference Thursday, Nix glanced around the media room, absorbed the somber mood and quickly addressed the elephant in the room.

“I can see a little disappointment on your faces that a genius isn’t standing up here,” Nix said. “But it’s kind of like getting up in the morning after the draft and reading the newspaper and seeing a A-plus…and two years later you’re fired.” Agreed. On the surface, Nix is not the outsider Buffalo needs. He was part of the self-destruction at One Bills Drive this season. But really, he wasn’t. Instead, Nix’s claim to fame is bringing back the San Diego Chargers.

Nix worked under John Butler in Buffalo as a scout from 1993-2000, joined Butler in San Diego and just recently returned to the Bills in February 2009. With the Chargers, Nix played a huge role in turning a 1-15 team into a perennial playoff contender.

STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/12/new-direction-nix-will-build-through-draft/)

Demon
12-31-2009, 03:16 PM
"New"? Havn't we been building via the draft the last 10 years?

jcdavey
12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
i'll tell ya what nix will do

and that's what the thread title says

get ready for AJ Smith jr

IMO he'll be a hardass and that's what every team needs at GM

he won't waste time on free agent busts

and we do not negotiate with terrorsists (agents) when it comes to contracts lol, don't play chicken with GMs like AJ smith or bill polian, or you will lose

and i bet that's exactly how Nix will be

this is a very good day for you guys, congrats

DBrown77
12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
"New"? Havn't we been building via the draft the last 10 years? I agree with you 100%

This fan base does not have the patience to rebuild through the draft. we have been losers for 10 years straight.

BillsWin
12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I thought it was a good read. Thanks Pat. I truly believe this was a good move for the Bills and actually opened the door a little wider for a big name coach like Cowher who wants a GM he can work with. Enter the approachable and experienced Buddy Nix.

patmoran2006
12-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Welcome

(Please note I was not the author, it was Tyler Dunne, who writes for Scout.com and occassionally the Buffalo News)

hydro
12-31-2009, 03:32 PM

:rofl:

You really love being the devil's advocate don't you? NO we didn't build through the draft. Remember those big free agent signings that many of which haven't turned out so great. Yeah those are things you don't do when you are building through the draft...

jcdavey
12-31-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree with you 100%

This fan base does not have the patience to rebuild through the draft. we have been losers for 10 years straight.it's about having the right people doing the rebuilding

if you want to just go FA route like the redskins do, look what it gets them? nothing

a floundering franchise

you build through the draft, it's no coincidence the top two teams in the AFC this year are Indy (polian) and SD (AJ Smith)

i mean even if it wasn't new years eve tonight, if i was you, hearing nix got hired as GM, i'd be throwing a damn party

bigbub2352
12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
If we build thru the draft it better be from the Lines out on both sides of the ball
We got to many bums making good money on our roster that need to go
and be replaced by guys who play football like wood and levitre and kyle williams
we need to get nasty and play with passion
not a read and react team
u need to make good signings in free agency but Buddy i got news for u dont resign to many guys off this current roster when they become FAs u let those guys walk to and reaplace them with ur picks and free agents
Now get a real HC in here too while your at it
nice article

BigZ
12-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Pat,

Good story, good read. Thanks for all your contributions.

He's going to look for value and talent. I listened to the presser and liked very much the comment that "it's hard to throw when you're laying on your back". Also that the coaching staff need to be teachers.

We'll see what happens.

yordad
12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
:rofl:

You really love being the devil's advocate don't you? NO we didn't build through the draft. Remember those big free agent signings that many of which haven't turned out so great. Yeah those are things you don't do when you are building through the draft...If we were not previously attempting to build through the draft, what good was the draft? I mean, what were we attempting to do with the draft prior?

I mean, doesn't this simply sound like "no more free agents"?

hydro
12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
If we were not previously attempting to build through the draft, what good was the draft? I mean, what were we attempting to do with the draft prior?

I mean, doesn't this simply sound like "no more free agents"?

No more top echelon FA's. I am fine with that. Look at the Chargers roster and you will see a very good team that doesn't have any players on the team which Bills fans were hoping we sign.

yordad
12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
No more top echelon FA's. I am fine with that. Look at the Chargers roster and you will see a very good team that doesn't have any players on the team which Bills fans were hoping we sign.No more free agants = same old lack of talent = more money for Ralph. How about we simply sign smarter?

Night Train
12-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Havn't we been bumbling via the draft the last 10 years?
Yes

Now we're going to build through the draft.

malo
12-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Too many needs to build through the draft. Too little picks to build through draft. Too much cap room to not fill needs with FAs.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
12-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Good Read

The one problem I have is if you watch the Bills Focus 1 on 1 with Nix he talks about coaches and how they will narrow it down to 2 or 3 and then take the list to Mr Wilson. So in the end Wilson will have say in what coach will be here? If that is the case it's going to be the same old ****.

CoolBreeze
12-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Please go to the Buddy Nix Resume thread, and post yours next to his. I would love to see your NFL track record compared to his.

kernowboy
01-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Too many needs to build through the draft. Too little picks to build through draft. Too much cap room to not fill needs with FAs.

You can only sign Free Agents if

a) they are available
b) do not want ridiculous money
c) actually perform if they arrive

We have a minimum of 16 picks in the next two drafts. Add that to the young players we've drafted but who have not been developed by a poor coaching staff, we could easily be transforming over half of the roster

justasportsfan
01-01-2010, 10:35 AM
The list goes on and on. San Diego has owned April.

Shaun Phillips (4th round, 2004), Michael Turner (5th round, 2004), Vincent Jackson (2nd round, 2005), Shawne Merriman (1st round, 2005), Luis Castillo (1st round, 2005), Darren Sproles (4th round, 2005), Antonio Cromartie (1st round, 2006), Marcus McNeill (2nd round, 2006) and Eric Weddle (2nd round, 2007) are a handful of guys Nix had a hand in drafting. All but Turner are huge reasons San Diego is deemed a Super Bowl favorite by many.

Whats more important to me is that hopefully Nix has learned enough from watching coaches make these players better out of college. He did state it's important to bring in good teachers . However thats nothing different from what Dick said and all Dick did was turn our high draft picks into mediocre players who were softer than snow flakes.

I'm on the fence on this one. He's never had any experience of being in total control of personnel decisions which is a negative but hopefully he was observant enough or a great student to have learned from Buttler and AJ Smith.

On the bright side of things, I don't think he can be any worse than John Guy and Russ Brandon when it comes to football knowledge.

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
This is ridiculous.

EVERY team builds through the draft. That's why it's one of the most watched events of every team.

What team has ever said "we aren't building through the draft. Overpriced FA's are the way to go."

Meanwhile our drafting track record is exactly WHY we suck balls.

And I would have respected that PC a hell of a lot more if Nix had said:

" If there is a FA out there that we think makes the difference between us making the playoffs or not, then we will do what we have to d, even if it costs us a lot. The idea is to build a franchise through all means available to you. You can't draft proven players, but you get get them in FA from time to time, but you have to be sure they are able to make a big enough difference to your team to justify the cost. But we have lots of cap space, and if we think we need to make a move we will."

Instead?

WE go the standard: We only want cheap FA's who are cheap for a reason... then pray they play better than they did anywhere else.

brilliant

justasportsfan
01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
This is ridiculous.

EVERY team builds through the draft. That's why it's one of the most watched events of every team.

What team has ever said "we aren't building through the draft. Overpriced FA's are the way to go."

Meanwhile our drafting track record is exactly WHY we suck balls.

And I would have respected that PC a hell of a lot more if Nix had said:

" If there is a FA out there that we think makes the difference between us making the playoffs or not, then we will do what we have to d, even if it costs us a lot. The idea is to build a franchise through all means available to you. You can't draft proven players, but you get get them in FA from time to time, but you have to be sure they are able to make a big enough difference to your team to justify the cost. But we have lots of cap space, and if we think we need to make a move we will."

Instead?

WE go the standard: We only want cheap FA's who are cheap for a reason... then pray they play better than they did anywhere else.

brilliant
Is this one of those 6 month goodbeyes? Thought you left already. :D

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Is this one of those 6 month goodbeyes? Thought you left already. :D

Did you not read my original post?

I said depending on the coaching hire.

The right guy and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the 10000th time. But If they disappoint me once more, that's it. I give up. uncle. whatever.

Also... I'll be sticking around to criticize the **** out of them and act like i'm super smart anyway, just to piss Thurm off.

justasportsfan
01-01-2010, 10:56 AM
act like i'm super smart anyway, just to piss Thurm off.
:snicker:

madness
01-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Nix clarified what he meant and how the Bills have been doing it wrong. We've been spending money on FA failures instead of taking care of our own guys. There's no reason why players like Pat Williams, Peters, Greer, etc. are playing on other teams when your team lacks suitable replacements AND depth.

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Nix clarified what he meant and how the Bills have been doing it wrong. We've been spending money on FA failures instead of taking care of our own guys. There's no reason why players like Pat Williams, Peters, Greer, etc. are playing on other teams when your team lacks suitable replacements AND depth.
Do you really think the players we've lost would have made us a winner if we kept them?

Who out there really improves this team to that degree?

PromoTheRobot
01-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I agree with you 100%

This fan base does not have the patience to rebuild through the draft. we have been losers for 10 years straight.

Patience? Bills fans have it in spades. We ***** and complain but we always buy tickets.

PTR

Night Train
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Some of you folks do realize this upcoming 2010 season is currently uncapped, No ?

So the "build through FA angle " means paying double for any FA , regardless of his talent level ?

Yes, that's utterly :brilliant: