PDA

View Full Version : What I think is gonna happen come next week...

elltrain22
01-01-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm no genius, and I don't have inside info like Coach Sal or Pat or T-Long, but I have a gut feeling that our next HC is gonna be either Cowher or Weis. Plan A is to hire Cowher for about 10-12 mill/year, trade for a vet QB, keep Lynch, maybe sign a vet O-lineman, and draft smarter than we ever have before.

Plan B, would be to hire Weis, which IMO, is not, at all, a bad plan B. I know I'm gonna get beat down for this statement, but I really believe Weis will be a good NFL head coach. One thing is certain, he knows offense, and I think he has the connections to bring in some good football people to correct not only our offense, but defense as well. I still think we get a vet QB (will not address this position thru the draft), will draft some good lineman, and start to become a much more solid football team.

Either way, I believe that this team has had enough of this BS, and has learned alot from its mistakes over the past decade, and this decade will be alot different. I could be wrong, but I think being wrong is better than being so spiteful or hateful towards a team that you're supposed to cheer for, and suppose to support, even when times are tough. I like what were doing, and like where we're going. Go Bills!!!!

Novacane
01-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Obviously I want Cowher but think that is probably a pipe dream because he won't want to come here even if they threw money at him. I could live with Weis.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 02:55 AM
I think it's like this...

1a. Bill Cowher (they are going to do everything possible to bring him here!)

1b. Marty Schottenheimer (if we can't get Cowher, Nix will try to convince his buddy to come back)

2. Charlie Weis

TrEd FTW
01-01-2010, 03:17 AM

1b. Marty Schottenheimer (if we can't get Cowher, Nix will try to convince his buddy to come back)

2. Charlie Weis

I would take any of those guys in exactly that order. Weis is not a bad third option at all. I really think he'd make a much better NFL head coach than he did a college one.

Don't Panic
01-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Agreed Mikey... good posting.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Actually let me modify this a bit...

2. John Fox (if he gets fired in Carolina, I think the Bills pounce on him)

3. Charlie Weis

don137
01-01-2010, 07:58 AM

3. Charlie Weis

Fox will not get fired however he could leave for a head coaching position that offers him a multi-year deal since the Panthers said they will not fire Fox but will not extend his contract which runs out after next season.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:05 AM
If Fox were fired I'd be happy with him.

ChristopherWalken
01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I disagree on Schottenheimer. I don't even think that Marty will be targeted. He'll be 67 in September and I believe the Bills are looking for a long term run of things. MS would give us 1-2 years tops.

I do believe the reports on the Bills courting Cowher as a top option. The fact that neither the Bills or anyone with Cowher has denied these allegations certainly proves that there must be some truth behind the reports.

With being said, I believe the Bills will also quickly target these offensive minds:

Tony Dungy (probably a direct call to explore his interest)
Brian Billick
Steve Mariucci (incidentally succeeded by D. Jauron in Detroit)

Odds are certainly against the Bills getting anyone of these top names. In the event all turn down the position the Bills may quickly turn to jump on an available Charlie Weiss or Mike Martz, but Buddy Nix seems like a patient man and would probably prefer to wait out the final recording of the 2009 NFL season.

I believe other potential candidates once the season subsides could be:

Eagles OC and Asst. Marty Mornhinweg
Arizona Cardinals Asst HC Russ Grimm
Jets OC Brian Schottenheimer
And possibly entertaining the idea of bringing in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh if the Bills are hell bent on making Trent Edwards a true professional franchise QB.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
One other thing to consider is that the Bills bring in Marty Schottenheimer for a couple years and he gets his son Brian ready to take over for him.

JJamezz
01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
After listening to Buddy yesterday, it's hard to imagine them going the first time NFL HC route unless they absolutely have to..

And if it comes down to that, I really believe it will be someone he has worked with in the past and/or is very familiar with, and I'm not convinced Weis is the top guy on that list, but that's just a gut feeling.

ChristopherWalken
01-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree with you JJAMEZZ.

I also think that someone like Haslett has to lower on the list...more like Plan 10C.

ChristopherWalken
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
One other thing to consider is that the Bills bring in Marty Schottenheimer for a couple years and he gets his son Brian ready to take over for him.

Possible

...but you have to think that after all of the instability surrounding the coaching staff and the FO of this franchise since Marv taking leave as HC, the Bills have to be looking for someone that can lead for years to come.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Possible

...but you have to think that after all of the instability surrounding the coaching staff and the FO of this franchise since Marv taking leave as HC, the Bills have to be looking for someone that can lead for years to come.

You mean like the 70 year old Nix?

ChristopherWalken
01-01-2010, 10:14 AM
You mean like the 70 year old Nix?

Easy your to swivel in your office seat at 70 than it is to run the side lines.

elltrain22
01-01-2010, 10:25 AM

3. Charlie Weis

Thanks, your list is much better than mine. Total agreement w/ those 4 guys. Obviously, I'd love, love, love, to get Cowher. IMO, he's 1, and all the rest of the others are 2nd tier options, even Fox. With that said, if we can't land Cowher, and I really, truly believe Cowher is gonna take this job, but if we don't, I'd be very happy w/ Fox, Schottie, or Weis.

McBFLO
01-01-2010, 10:26 AM
And possibly entertaining the idea of bringing in Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh if the Bills are hell bent on making Trent Edwards a true professional franchise QB.

This is an interesting point. Did TE play there when Harbaugh was the coach, or was TE gone by then?

McBFLO
01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Mark Gaughn also had reported Harbaugh in his column this morning. Interesting name if TE played their while Harbaugh was coach. Also, Nix did say yesterday, "we've got to give the new coaches a chance with these guys (our current QBs)."

ChristopherWalken
01-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Mark Gaughn also had reported Harbaugh in his column this morning. Interesting name if TE played their while Harbaugh was coach. Also, Nix did say yesterday, "we've got to give the new coaches a chance with these guys (our current QBs)."

I wouldn't rule it out. Some think that Harbaugh has a sweet gig in Stanford, and though I agree, he's only making 700K a year... and what HC doesn't dream of coaching for the NFL?