PDA

View Full Version : Cowher was certainly mentioned quite a bit yesterday...

Michael82
01-01-2010, 03:29 AM
I was working yesterday and missed the press conferences, so I watched them last night and after listening to them, I'm even more excited about us getting a big name, specifically Bill Cowher. Didn't anyone else think it was weird that Buddy Nix talked about Cowher and so did both Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas? Nix also said that he wants to hire the coach as fast as possible. He said that the list is already made and there are several guys on the list, and he'd use the list like a draft list. You go after the top guy first.

Jim Kelly was asked about Bill Cowher and even brought his name up several times. He seemed excited and pretty much said that he believes that we could get a guy like Cowher to come here.

Then you got Thurman Thomas who was sweating like a pig. He looked like he was doing everything possible to try to hide the news that he knows. But he did talk about Cowher and then mentioned getting a guy like a Sean Payton (Charlie Weis IMO).

I don't know why, but after this hiring of Buddy Nix (he did work with Cowher once before) and also the fact that they announced this on New Years Eve, which is a very weird time to have a press conference. It seems like they wanted to get this done, so they could focus on bringing in the head coach they want. I believe Sal, I think that they have been talking to Bill Cowher many times and are doing everything in their power to convince him to come to Buffalo and when he sees what we got and again, the support from the fans, I believe he will come here.

We just gotta pray that Tampa Bay keeps Raheem Morris. They are playing Atlanta on Sunday...so hope for a win!

Michael82
01-01-2010, 03:34 AM
BTW if you missed them. Here's the press conferences....

Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Buddy-Nix-Named-General-Manager/b01c064d-a534-4efe-bdfc-a52e86ea272a#?id=b01c064d-a534-4efe-bdfc-a52e86ea272a

Jim Kelly
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Jim-Kelly-Comments-on-Buddy-Nix/2891c180-0935-44b8-90b0-bf425b721369

Thurman Thomas
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Thurman-Thomas-Comments-on-Buddy-Nix/a239296d-69c1-4be2-a2bc-34296b054080

1-on-1 with Buddy Nix
http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/4feb168c-f9f6-4706-af47-a532a09e8a78

Michael82
01-01-2010, 06:57 AM
:ontome:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-01-2010, 07:25 AM
2 weeks from now we will eitber be celebrating or rationalizing the new coach

Novacane
01-01-2010, 07:54 AM
I hope your hunch is right Mike. I'm just afraid to let myself believe it. The Bills have never made a huge splash like that. Until it happens I am skeptical.

don137
01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
While am a little excited about the possibility of Cowher coming to Buffalo I am not going to get overly excited until I see him officially named the head coach.

I have been disappointed so many times by this team that it would not surprise me that they hire someone like Haslett or Martz as head coach. Both, which I put in the same category as Jauron.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 07:57 AM
It would be hilarious to listen Jon Claytons spin if the Bills did land Cowher. After all the no way in hell he comes to Buffalo talk he's been saying I'd pay to hear that interview. :rofl:

Michael82
01-01-2010, 07:57 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning Haslett. Stop listening to ESPN and the media. They constantly throw his name out there each time we have a job open...but he hasn't even been interviewed. I don't see him coming here. Plus wasn't he a defensive guy? I guarantee that he's NOT on the list.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:00 AM
While am a little excited about the possibility of Cowher coming to Buffalo I am not going to get overly excited until I see him officially named the head coach.

I have been disappointed so many times by this team that it would not surprise me that they hire someone like Haslett or Martz as head coach. Both, which I put in the same category as Jauron.

I don't want Martz but at least he took a team to the SB and is an offensive guy. I would not be happy about it but don't think he is as bad as Dickey. Haslett would infuriate me after all the hype about a big name. He is as bad as Dickey.

don137
01-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning Haslett. Stop listening to ESPN and the media. They constantly throw his name out there each time we have a job open...but he hasn't even been interviewed. I don't see him coming here. Plus wasn't he a defensive guy? I guarantee that he's NOT on the list.
I am not saying they have Haslett on their radar but it would not surprise me that they end up with a retread coach that has not been too successful as a head coach. I am thinking they will go after the big names but until they officially announce it I don't want to get overly excited just to be let down.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:02 AM

He better not be. How can you guarantee it though. Would you have ever thought they would hire Mularkey and Jauron over all the better choices that were available.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:06 AM
He better not be. How can you guarantee it though. Would you have ever thought they would hire Mularkey and Jauron over all the better choices that were available.

I guarantee it, because Haslett is the name that has been mentioned by Clayton and the other tools at ESPN each time we have a job opening. But he hasn't been interviewed, so there is definitely a reason. Plus he's a defensive guy and it's been said several times over the last few weeks that the Bills are looking for an offensive guy or one of the big names. Also...everytime that Haslett name is tossed out there, Bills fans start screaming and *****ing. Even Brandon wouldn't be able to spin that horrible hire! We'd have a better chance at getting Billick or Fassel over Haslett.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I agree. If the Bills have any clue as the the pulse of the fan base Haslett will not even be considered. I actually do believe Ralph is going to do everything he can to get a bigtime coach this time including throwing money at Cowher. I'm just not sure Cowher would want to come here.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree. If the Bills have any clue as the the pulse of the fan base Haslett will not even be considered. I actually do believe Ralph is going to do everything he can to get a bigtime coach this time including throwing money at Cowher. I'm just not sure Cowher would want to come here.

That's why I said it's Cowher 1a and Schottenheimer 1b. If they can't convince Cowher to come here, Nix would do everything in his power to convince his best buddy, Marty to come back to the NFL and coach the team. I would take either of these guys in a heartbeat!

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Money should not be an option in the pursuit of Cowher. The excitement he would bring would electrify the area. They could raise prices and they may still sell the stadium out with season tickets if they hired him. If it's Cowher I'll be one of the first ones to buy.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:19 AM
I'd be very happy with Marty also. It just seem unlikely. He seems very convincing that he does not want to coach again.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Money should not be an option in the pursuit of Cowher. The excitement he would bring would electrify the area. They could raise prices and they may still sell the stadium out with season tickets if they hired him. If it's Cowher I'll be one of the first ones to buy.

That's why I think they are going to throw everything they can at Bill Cowher. They know that they will have to raise ticket prices soon. It hasn't been done in a while. Hiring Cowher could let them raise the prices another $10 or $20 per game and move it closer to the league average. Plus he would definitely help with marketing the team and selling the suites. Plus like you said, Season Ticket sales would probably jump over 65,000 if Cowher came here. The fan support would be tremendous!

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I'd be very happy with Marty also. It just seem unlikely. He seems very convincing that he does not want to coach again.

I've thought that too, but then I've done some digging. This was from an article back when Nix was in the running for the Falcons job. If anyone can convince Schottenheimer to come back, Buddy Nix could.

“If true, I believe a Buddy Nix-Marty Schottenheimer team in Atlanta would be a perfect fit,” AJ Smith told the newspaper. “Buddy got along well with Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time.”

don137
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
That's why I think they are going to throw everything they can at Bill Cowher. They know that they will have to raise ticket prices soon. It hasn't been done in a while. Hiring Cowher could let them raise the prices another $10 or $20 per game and move it closer to the league average. Plus he would definitely help with marketing the team and selling the suites. Plus like you said, Season Ticket sales would probably jump over 65,000 if Cowher came here. The fan support would be tremendous!

I agree that if they hired someone like Cowher they would raise ticket prices but Bills fans would be willing to pay more for a better product.

Don't Panic
01-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm with that Cowher, Shotty, Weis order, Mikey. The best I've heard yet. Should Cowher turn us down and Shotty not be interested in coming back, I could see Nix going for Weis with a Crennel DC spot beig offered. That way Ralph has shown that he is commited to fixing both sides of the ball, and Nix gets the football guys on the field running things he needs to make things work. Still hoping for Cowher though...

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:33 AM

$10 per ticket would be about 6 mill for 8 games (7reg + at least 1 preaseason). It makes sense on the business side and football side of the organization.

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 08:52 AM
I honestly think, at this point, from what I was told and then listening to everyone, it simply comes down to Cowher wanting to come to Buffalo, go somewhere else, or just stay in TV for another year.

The ball's in his court.

It's as simple as that.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I honestly think, at this point, from what I was told and then listening to everyone, it simply comes down to Cowher wanting to come to Buffalo, go somewhere else, or just stay in TV for another year.

The ball's in his court.

It's as simple as that.
Let's hope the Tampa Bay and Carolina jobs stay closed... :pray:

Philagape
01-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I used to be of the mindset that, "No way Cowher comes here. It's the Bills."
But the last person I ever thought would want to be in Buffalo was Terrell Owens, so if he can come, anyone can.

BigZ
01-01-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm with that Cowher, Shotty, Weis order, Mikey. The best I've heard yet. Should Cowher turn us down and Shotty not be interested in coming back, I could see Nix going for Weis with a Crennel DC spot beig offered. That way Ralph has shown that he is commited to fixing both sides of the ball, and Nix gets the football guys on the field running things he needs to make things work. Still hoping for Cowher though...

Billick should probably be on that short list too IMHO.

Historian
01-01-2010, 09:09 AM

The ball's in his court.

It's as simple as that.

Know the ironic part of that Sal?

Cowher's brand of football is tailor-made for Buffalo:

Smashmouth defense
great running game
blitz packages
great offensive lines

His brand of football deserves to be played up here in the Northeast, in November.

Not in Tampa, where nobody really cares.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I totally forgot about Billick. Yeah he would be on my list too. :up:

hydro
01-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Not from what I heard yesterday. He supposedly was smug on either ESPN or NFLN and said something along the lines of "who would want to coach in Buffalo?". So I don't believe he wants to come here nor would any fan want him here after that. Heard this on WGR yesterday BTW.

JJamezz
01-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Not from what I heard yesterday. He supposedly was smug on either ESPN or NFLN and said something along the lines of "who would want to coach in Buffalo?". So I don't believe he wants to come here nor would any fan want him here after that. Heard this on WGR yesterday BTW.

Yeah, I heard that too (on WGR, not when he originally said it).. While he's as arrogant as they come, probably viewing himself right up there with the likes of a Cowher, I have a feeling he'd warm up to the idea pretty quickly if the job were offered to him.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:38 AM
2 weeks from now we will eitber be celebrating or rationalizing the new coach

You mean like everybody is rationalizing the hiring of Nix?

Novacane
01-01-2010, 11:44 AM
You mean like everybody is rationalizing the hiring of Nix?

I won't be rationalizing the hiring of the coach. I ok with Nix until the coach is hired. If the plan is to hire a big name coach who will hold most of the power and thats why they hired a guy like Nix as GM all will be ok. If they hire some no name or retread then the whole joke continues and we are doomed to losing until Ralph passes away.

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Let's hope the Tampa Bay and Carolina jobs stay closed... :pray:

Cowher isn't going to take a job in Buffalo just because he doesn't see any other options. If he isn't really impressed with things here, he'll wait. He has to WANT the job, not be willing to settle.

jlruss90
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
i feel like if were the only one available that cowher can simply just sitout another year waiting for john fox again

Historian
01-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey...at least we still got the World Champion Yankees!

New Ro's Greatest
01-01-2010, 09:50 PM

The ball's in his court.

It's as simple as that.

This front office has to convince him coach! It's time for the Fans to be happy for a change. GO BILLS:bad:

Demon
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I totally forgot about Billick. Yeah he would be on my list too. :up:

I'll probably get blasted for saying this and being negative, but, Billick was on a radio show like a week ago, and was talking about Shanny/Wash and was asked what he thought about Buffalo's opening and he said something like "who in their right mind would take the Bills job?"

So i think we can cross him right off the list.... lol

Btw, my new prediction for HC is Cam Cameron.

-Spend 02-06 with San Diego so he knows Nix.
-Offensive minded.
-Had big part in developing Rivers (Nix said he wanted a good teacher)
-Previous head coaching experience.
-C-H-E-A-P.

BillsWin
01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I got pumped from watching the Kelly interview. He seems really, really excited. And for a guy that for the past two seasons has voiced his frustration and disgust for how the Bills have been playing, that tells me a lot. Kelly sees change coming and I am leaning towards optimism.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm happy to see Thurman and Kelly getting involved with the Bills but I would also like to see D Talley as well. He loves the Bills as much as these guys do and he tells it like he sees it.

Michael82
01-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm happy to see Thurman and Kelly getting involved with the Bills but I would also like to see D Talley as well. He loves the Bills as much as these guys do and he tells it like he sees it.
He would definitely be more involved if he wanted to, but he still lives in Florida. Both Kelly and Thomas have moved back to Buffalo. Talley hasn't yet.