PDA

View Full Version : How many of you would like if...

T-Long
01-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Buddy Nix wasn't hired by the Bills last season and he came here from San Diego to be our new GM?

I think a lot of people would be praising this move. The simple fact that he was here the past season doesn't mean he is responsible for all the mess that has happened in years prior. He was here ONE year as a scout. We have no idea how this past draft class is going to pan out, so you can't knock him for that. It's not like he was the one making decisions anyways. He, along with a ton of other scouts, gave their opinions to Dick, and then he made all final decisions.

I just think if Buddy hadn't been here the past year, people here would be praising this move a lot more. I mean for God's sakes look at his damn resume! I'm not one to drink the kool-aid, but there is no reason to think that he can't turn this team around.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Don't forget that Atlanta almost hired him instead of Dimitroff.

don137
01-01-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree completely. I think we have already seen what Nix can do because our draft last year was one of the best in years. Maybin is a project player which I do not think the Bills could afford to waste a few years for a player to develop but with the right coaching staff he could become a dominant player.

Jan Reimers
01-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I would like to think that Nix - with all of his experience - would have had significant influence on this past year's draft, UDFA signings and FA pickups. All-in-all, I think our offseason was very good from a personnel standpoint.

We can't fix all our problems in one offseason, but last year was a damned good start.

Jan Reimers
01-01-2010, 08:19 AM
You beat me to it, don.

don137
01-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I would like to think that Nix - with all of his experience - would have had significant influence on this past year's draft, UDFA signings and FA pickups. All-in-all, I think our offseason was very good from a personnel standpoint.

We can't fix all our problems in one offseason, but last year was a damned good start.

Agreed. So far I like where we are headed. Nix promoted to GM and out are Guy and Jauron. So far those are three good moves.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 08:26 AM
You are right T-long. It is just the knee jerk reaction when you hear a guy was being promoted from within an oraganiztion that has done nothing but lose. My first reaction was WTF!!! Now that I've had time to learn about Nix I think he can do the job of finding good players. I'm just holding back on getting excited until the coach is hired.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I heard a theory that this was the Bills' plan all along. He was hired to eventually take over as GM.

Historian
01-01-2010, 08:56 AM
There's a reason people are POed guys.

This team needed gutted, period.

Losing has become ingrained at OBD.

Unless you think that Nix was brought in to fill this role in the first place, last year...then it sort of makes sense.

I don't happen to believe that, because I saw the deer in the headlights look in Brandon's eyes after some of the losses. They honestly thought they were going to contend this year, with Jauron, with rookies on the line, with TE.

BigZ
01-01-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree. If he was from the outside there would have been parties thrown everywhere last night.....oops, there were!

Couldn't resist that, but I totally agree with you, Terry.

Happy New Year.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Buddy Nix wasn't hired by the Bills last season and he came here from San Diego to be our new GM?

I think a lot of people would be praising this move. The simple fact that he was here the past season doesn't mean he is responsible for all the mess that has happened in years prior. He was here ONE year as a scout. We have no idea how this past draft class is going to pan out, so you can't knock him for that. It's not like he was the one making decisions anyways. He, along with a ton of other scouts, gave their opinions to Dick, and then he made all final decisions.

I just think if Buddy hadn't been here the past year, people here would be praising this move a lot more. I mean for God's sakes look at his damn resume! I'm not one to drink the kool-aid, but there is no reason to think that he can't turn this team around.

Not to be mean, but you're drinking the kool-aid. This move is bad because it does not bring a person from outside the organization who is not connected to Ralph's ways. No matter how you try to spin it, Nix is a Ralph guy...and that is not good. I know people want to feel good about this, but the more I think about it, the more embarrassing the hire is. As I mentioned before, it's very important who he actually hires as a HC and if he actually makes changes (i.e. - firing Modrak & Guy). If he leaves the football dept. the same, then NOTHING has changed.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:15 AM
There's a reason people are POed guys.

This team needed gutted, period.

Losing has become ingrained at OBD.

Unless you think that Nix was brought in to fill this role in the first place, last year...then it sort of makes sense.

I don't happen to believe that, because I saw the deer in the headlights look in Brandon's eyes after some of the losses. They honestly thought they were going to contend this year, with Jauron, with rookies on the line, with TE.

Exactly...that entire organization is a failure and needed to have new blood brought in to change it...that didn't happen.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Look at these two statements:

1. He was the director of player personnel for a team that's made the playoffs for five of the past six years.

2. He's a "Ralph guy."

Which one is substance, and which one is spin?

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Look at these two statements:

1. He was the director of player personnel for a team that's made the playoffs for five of the past six years.

2. He's a "Ralph guy."

Which one is substance, and which one is spin?

Neither, they're both accurate and if you don't believe that then you homer glasses are on to tight.

T-Long
01-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Not to be mean, but you're drinking the kool-aid. This move is bad because it does not bring a person from outside the organization who is not connected to Ralph's ways. No matter how you try to spin it, Nix is a Ralph guy...and that is not good. I know people want to feel good about this, but the more I think about it, the more embarrassing the hire is. As I mentioned before, it's very important who he actually hires as a HC and if he actually makes changes (i.e. - firing Modrak & Guy). If he leaves the football dept. the same, then NOTHING has changed.
Hey I respected Historian's stance on it, thus he got a "thanks" from me. I don't think I am drinking kool-aid whatsoever. If this hire had been Guy or Modrak, I would have been furious and agreeing with you. Buddy Nix has not been here for this mess. He was here for one season and so far, looks to be a pretty damn good draft class.

I truly think that Nix deserves a shot and Bills fans' support. Let's see who he can get in here as a head coach. If he falls flat out on that, then let's starting hammering him. But hell, he just got the job yesterday, let's give the guy a chance. Just because he knows Ralph doesn't make him a "Ralph" guy. Ralph deserves a lot of respect for what he has accomplished in the NFL...I'm sure there are thousands of "Ralph" guys that he has worked with sometime, somewhere, in the past. You can't base his projected success on just knowing Ralph...that's crazy, and not fair for Nix.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Neither, they're both accurate and if you don't believe that then you homer glasses are on to tight.

Of course they're both accurate. The question is, which means more?

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey I respected Historian's stance on it, thus he got a "thanks" from me. I don't think I am drinking kool-aid whatsoever. If this hire had been Guy or Modrak, I would have been furious and agreeing with you. Buddy Nix has not been here for this mess. He was here for one season and so far, looks to be a pretty damn good draft class.

I truly think that Nix deserves a shot and Bills fans' support. Let's see who he can get in here as a head coach. If he falls flat out on that, then let's starting hammering him. But hell, he just got the job yesterday, let's give the guy a chance. Just because he knows Ralph doesn't make him a "Ralph" guy. Ralph deserves a lot of respect for what he has accomplished in the NFL...I'm sure there are thousands of "Ralph" guys that he has worked with sometime, somewhere, in the past. You can't base his projected success on just knowing Ralph...that's crazy, and not fair for Nix.

If you've read any of my posts about this, you'd know that I've stated all along that we need to see what he does with the personnel dept. and HC position to know if this is a good hire or not. To just flatout be happy about this move is ridiculous and not really intelligent. Wait to see what changes he makes and then let me know if it was a good hire. Saying it was a good hire because he's only been here a year and totally discounting the fact that once again Ralph refused to hire a fresh face with fresh perspectives from outside the organization is also ridiculous. I'll save my final opinion on him until I see what he does in the next week or two, but right now, anybody who is thinking clearly can see this is a classic Ralph hire.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Of course they're both accurate. The question is, which means more?

Niether..they both have a ton of meaning. You have been around for the past 10 years, right??? Please, tell me how many other organizations have a history of hiring 70 year old, first-time GM's to rebuild their franchises? This is also the same franchise that a few years back hired an 80 year old with no GM experience to straighten out the organization. Let's not just get excited because it's a new name in the GM position until we see what he does with the dept. or the HC position.

T-Long
01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
If you've read any of my posts about this, you'd know that I've stated all along that we need to see what he does with the personnel dept. and HC position to know if this is a good hire or not. To just flatout be happy about this move is ridiculous and not really intelligent. Wait to see what changes he makes and then let me know if it was a good hire. Saying it was a good hire because he's only been here a year and totally discounting the fact that once again Ralph refused to hire a fresh face with fresh perspectives from outside the organization is also ridiculous. I'll save my final opinion on him until I see what he does in the next week or two, but right now, anybody who is thinking clearly can see this is a classic Ralph hire.
Well what do you expect me to base it on? All I did was researched what he has done in the league, and I did that and I posted his resume on it. His resume speaks for itself. He was here when this team was successful, then took a 1-15 San Diego team and helped it draft numerous Pro Bowlers and team constantly in the playoffs. We can't grade him here yet because he's been here a day...all I'm saying is he brought a guy who has never been with the Bills with that resume, I don't think we would find anybody who wouldn't like the move. Him being here this past season is killing him with some of you on the board. Just look at his history in the league, and take him being here last season out of the account, because to me it doesn't have any relevance for points against him.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Well what do you expect me to base it on? All I did was researched what he has done in the league, and I did that and I posted his resume on it. His resume speaks for itself. He was here when this team was successful, then took a 1-15 San Diego team and helped it draft numerous Pro Bowlers and team constantly in the playoffs. We can't grade him here yet because he's been here a day...all I'm saying is he brought a guy who has never been with the Bills with that resume, I don't think we would find anybody who wouldn't like the move. Him being here this past season is killing him with some of you on the board. Just look at his history in the league, and take him being here last season out of the account, because to me it doesn't have any relevance for points against him.

Of course him being here is killing him, he works directly with Ralph and was part of the mediocrity and culture of One Bills Drive. I'm not sure about you, but I wanted change, not shuffling of the same organization philosophy. Just discounting that fact is not fair.

Michael82
01-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Here's some picks that came from Buddy Nix when he was in Buffalo. Someone posted this on TwoBillsDrive...

Buddy Nix was the scout for the Southeast during his tenure for the Bills. During this time the Bills drafted the following players from his region: (bolded are ones that had "decent" contributions for the Bills)
93: Thomas Smith, Sebastian Savage
94: Bucky Brooks, Lonnie "friggin" Johnson, Marlo Perry, Corey Louchey, Sean Crocker
95: Damien Covington, Ken Irvin
96: Eric Moulds, Gabe Northern, Matt Stevens
97: Jamie Nails, Sean Woodson
98: Sam Cowart, Robert Hicks, Jonathan Linton
99: Peerless Price, Sean Bryson, Keith Newman, Bobby Collins
00: Travares Tillman, Corey Moore, Avion Black

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Here's some picks that came from Buddy Nix when he was in Buffalo. Someone posted this on TwoBillsDrive...

Umm, that's less then flattering for Nix...looks just like the talent we have right now...average.

Buddo
01-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Of course him being here is killing him, he works directly with Ralph and was part of the mediocrity and culture of One Bills Drive. I'm not sure about you, but I wanted change, not shuffling of the same organization philosophy. Just discounting that fact is not fair.

Sorry man, that argument really doesn't stand up. He has been back with the Bills barely 10 months. That just doesn't add up to being part of 'the mediocrity and culture of One Bills Drive'.
It's also the case that while it's true that Nix is a literal 'in house' appointment, he basically has no ties to people who have been there for the last decade.
Having watched his PC, it was noticeable that he gave no endorsement of Guy or Modrak whatsoever. They will be evaluated just like everybody else, was all he had to say about them. That really sounds like a 'status quo' guy - not.
Even the argument about him working directly with Ralph can be spun back at you. Nix wasn't around Ralph when he made the decision to retain Jauron. He was around him when he made the decision to fire him - and in season as well, which had only happened once previously. Could it be argued that having Nix back around has been the catalyst for change that Ralph needed?

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry man, that argument really doesn't stand up. He has been back with the Bills barely 10 months. That just doesn't add up to being part of 'the mediocrity and culture of One Bills Drive'.
It's also the case that while it's true that Nix is a literal 'in house' appointment, he basically has no ties to people who have been there for the last decade.
Having watched his PC, it was noticeable that he gave no endorsement of Guy or Modrak whatsoever. They will be evaluated just like everybody else, was all he had to say about them. That really sounds like a 'status quo' guy - not.
Even the argument about him working directly with Ralph can be spun back at you. Nix wasn't around Ralph when he made the decision to retain Jauron. He was around him when he made the decision to fire him - and in season as well, which had only happened once previously. Could it be argued that having Nix back around has been the catalyst for change that Ralph needed?

If you don't think he was hired because Ralph was more comfortable hiring from within then letting an outsider come in, then you have no idea what you're talking about. They barely even considered outside candidates and that is a joke. Please tell me how many other organizations hire 70 year old, first time GM's? I've asked this question before, but nobody will answer it?

Buddo
01-01-2010, 10:40 AM
If you don't think he was hired because Ralph was more comfortable hiring from within then letting an outsider come in, then you have no idea what you're talking about. They barely even considered outside candidates and that is a joke. Please tell me how many other organizations hire 70 year old, first time GM's? I've asked this question before, but nobody will answer it?

The biggest joke is making your claim that they barely even considered outside candidates, when you are in no position to know. What little information that is there, implies that they did look outside the organisation when investigating candidates. Gaughan of the Buffalo News states that Brandon compiled a dossier of candidates from around the league.
I actually don't give a monkey's about age tbh, if someone can do the job, whether he's 17 or 70 simply doesn't matter.

elltrain22
01-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Well said, and btw, your daughter is beautiful

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 10:43 AM
The biggest joke is making your claim that they barely even considered outside candidates, when you are in no position to know. What little information that is there, implies that they did look outside the organisation when investigating candidates. Gaughan of the Buffalo News states that Brandon compiled a dossier of candidates from around the league.
I actually don't give a monkey's about age tbh, if someone can do the job, whether he's 17 or 70 simply doesn't matter.

My friend, Ralph Wilson stated it in his press conference...what else do you need?

justasportsfan
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
If this hire had been Guy or Modrak, I would have been furious and agreeing with you.
Not saying Modrak is all that but if you are going to pump up Nix's resume' by trying to blast Modrak, it does not compute. Modrak had a better resume' as a GM. If the job was about being a scout however then you have a point.

malo
01-01-2010, 10:52 AM

It will be tough to build a team through the draft with talent of that caliber.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Niether..they both have a ton of meaning. You have been around for the past 10 years, right??? Please, tell me how many other organizations have a history of hiring 70 year old, first-time GM's to rebuild their franchises? This is also the same franchise that a few years back hired an 80 year old with no GM experience to straighten out the organization. Let's not just get excited because it's a new name in the GM position until we see what he does with the dept. or the HC position.

The age does concern me. And nowhere have I said I'm excited. Can you have a conversation without labeling people on one extreme or the other? My position is wait-and-see. It took his success at San Diego to get me even to that point.
It's just as irrational to dismiss him as a Ralph guy than it is to get excited over him.

baalworship
01-01-2010, 04:37 PM
There is no way getting around that this move makes the Bills look bad. If I didn't follow the Bills and saw they just hired a 70 year old scout that just came back from retirement I would laugh at them.

But it appears to a bit more complicated than that. We did meet with Mike Shanahan for 7 hours and would have given him the job but he turned us down. So it is inaccurate to say Ralph only wanted to be cheap and not look around.

What is more puzzling is why we didn't interview more GM candidates. My wild guess is while Brandon was calling around someone asked him why don't you guys look at Nix?