PDA

View Full Version : Brian Billick

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 12:15 PM
I see his name thrown around here as a good idea for the HC.

Trust me... you do NOT want him here.

He's incredibly arrogant, overrated and would be a total disaster.

My buddy is a die-hard Ravens fan, and he was NEVER fond of BB.

He made his name as the OC of those great minny offenses, that were teaming with talent and never missed a beat after he left either.

He refers to HIMSELF as an "offensive genius".

But his entire time in Baltimore he NEVER managed to develop a good O, or a good young QB. Even though he took about 15 swings on QB's from experienced Veterans (McNair, Grbac) and 1st (or other higher) rounders (Boller/Redman). Nothing worked.

His Super Bowl and other successful seasons was totally a product of Ozzie Newsome giving him special players, and Marvin Lewis and other DC's having a great D to make up for terrible O's.

Nix is no Newsome. We don't have a talented D and a great DC to let Billick ride on their coattails and take all the credit.

THat dude is not a great coach, but he was a lucky one.... which means Ralph probably loves him.

Most of the league knows it, and that's why you aren't hearing his name involved in all these available jobs.

Don't look at the W-L record..... He may have been the HC, but he had a hell of a lot of help.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
He was an offensive genius when he was Minnesota.

It just never transfered over to Baltimore.

Then again the AFC Central/North has always been a run heavy - stout defense division.

Billick did develop a strong running game whether it be Priest Holmes, Earnest Graham, Jamal Lewis, etc.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not to high on Billick either. I think I'd rather go with a guy like Grimm over Billick. Hopefully it's neither of the 2. If we can't get Cowher or Shotty I want to take a chance with Weis.

Canadian'eh!
01-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Then again the AFC Central/North has always been a run heavy - stout defense division.

Billick did develop a strong running game whether it be Priest Holmes, Earnest Graham, Jamal Lewis, etc.

Seriously... with RObert SMith and Moss/Carter it wasn't hard to look good in Minny.

He DID have some great talent on his OL and RB's (given to him by newsome) in BAltimore....

I agree he did run it well with the talent they gave him. BUt again....

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Seriously... with RObert SMith and Moss/Carter it wasn't hard to look good in Minny.

He DID have some great talent on his OL and RB's (given to him by newsome) in BAltimore....

I agree he did run it well with the talent they gave him. BUt again....

Well we have had the running backs here who could make such a system work.

We just need the talent on the o-line to open lanes.

So Billick might be able to fit here.

Not endorsing the guy but he wouldn't be a terrible hire either.

YardRat
01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd rather have a first-timer than Billick.

Griff
01-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Moss can make most OCs look like offensive geniuses.

Prov401
01-01-2010, 03:41 PM
My wish list goes as follows: Cowher, Schottenheimer, Weis, Grimm.

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Moss can make most OCs look like offensive geniuses.

You might have a point here...

Except for the fact that Billick only coached Moss for 1 season.

TigerJ
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Billick is well down on my list, as is Mike Martz, another "offensive genius."

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
You might have a point here...

Except for the fact that Billick only coached Moss for 1 season.

And Moss was a joke in Oakland.

Night Train
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Has he even been remotely mentioned as a candidate by the Bills or any media outlet ?

If not, is this just another invented opportunity to ***** ?

Jim Harbaugh of Stanford and Charlie Weis were mentioned a few times lately by the local media. Share thoughts on that.

CoolBreeze
01-01-2010, 09:34 PM

He made his name as the OC of those great minny offenses, that were teaming with talent and never missed a beat after he left either.

But his entire time in Baltimore he NEVER managed to develop a good O, or a good young QB. Even though he took about 15 swings on QB's from experienced Veterans (McNair, Grbac) and 1st (or other higher) rounders (Boller/Redman). Nothing worked.

His Super Bowl and other successful seasons was totally a product of Ozzie Newsome giving him special players, and Marvin Lewis and other DC's having a great D to make up for terrible O's.

Nix is no Newsome. We don't have a talented D and a great DC to let Billick ride on their coattails and take all the credit.

THat dude is not a great coach, but he was a lucky one.... which means Ralph probably loves him.

Most of the league knows it, and that's why you aren't hearing his name involved in all these available jobs.

Don't look at the W-L record..... He may have been the HC, but he had a hell of a lot of help.

You kind of contradict yourself... (1st) Every NFL head coach is arrogant to a degree. Jimmy Johnson made Brian Billick look like a monk. (2nd) He was only successful in Minnesota because of the players? No kidding. How do you think people get promoted to HC? Bill Beliciek was a DC with the NY Giants. Those great players made him looked good, and he became a HC with the Browns and sucked. The Giants were still good after he left. (3rd) You talk about his time in Baltimore.. Trent Dilfer was the QB when they won the SB. The offense didn't need to be great, because the defense was. Defense wins championships. What really kills me, is that you say he only won a SB, because of the "special players" Ozzie Newsome gave him on Defense. If Ozzie was so great, how come he didn't give "special players" on offense? Oh by they way, that Defense that made Marvin Lewis look like a genious, hasn't helped him very much has it. How many SB's does Marvin have after leaving Baltimore? Better yet, how may winning seasons? You have to understand players don't come free. That defense was awesome. It was also expensive. Rod Woodson, Ray Lewis, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed etc. etc. I think they took a large chunk of the cap money, which would limit the talent on offense. (4th) How do you know Nix is no Newsome? Maybe Newsome is no Nix. Nix has been a scout, director of player personnel, assistant GM and has been involved with drafts since 1993, and has drafted more pro bowlers than Ozzie Newsome. And lastly you finish with "He may have been the HC, but he had a hell of a lot of help" Really? So, in other words, it was a total team effort.

Pinkerton Security
01-01-2010, 11:58 PM

why the heck should we trust you? because your friend didnt like him and he had good players on defense?

BILLSROCK1212
01-02-2010, 12:16 AM

good point, but Earnest Graham?? he's only played for the Bucs

mayotm
01-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Don't look at the W-L record..... He may have been the HC, but he had a hell of a lot of help.So Billick was smart enough to assemble a great coaching staff around him? Sorry dude, that's a key part of being a HC. Not a negative.

The Jokeman
01-02-2010, 07:41 AM
good point, but Earnest Graham?? he's only played for the Bucs
He meant Scottie Graham who was a solid backup in Minnesota.

http://www.nfl.com/players/scottiegraham/profile?id=GRA202665

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Don't take my word for it. Hope he gets hired then... I'll get the last laugh on that one. Believe me.

Pinkerton Security
01-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't take my word for it. Hope he gets hired then... I'll get the last laugh on that one. Believe me.

all im saying is that when we have had jauron, we should only hope to be so lucky as to get billick. billick is 30 times the coach that jauron is.