PDA

View Full Version : How the hell does Brandon get promoted?

Ground Chuck
01-01-2010, 12:23 PM
That's the part of this that I don't get.

I'm so so with the Nix move. He is probably the closest thing to the Polian / Butler / Smith tree as we can get. He could make a lot of points by getting rid of Guy and Modrak and replacing them with the young hungry types. He seems to defer to the coach a lot, which does make me think that they are trying to lure a big name guy here, so time will tell with him. The next 2 months should give us a clear picture of whether this is the same old crap or a change for the good.

But wtf has Brandon done to deserve a promotion? He better be a figure head now.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 12:25 PM
He works for one of the worst owners in the NFL...that's how.

PromoTheRobot
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I'll write slowly so I don't lose you...

Brandon...is...a...marketing...guy. He...is...being...promoted...to...a...marketing...and...management...position.

He is not a football guy. He never said he was a football guy. They hired the football guy. Brandon will run the team in all areas EXCEPT football ops. Why you have a problem with that I have no idea.

PTR

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I have to say that Brandon has done a great job on the marketing side of things.

He put a turd in a shiny package and sold it to everyone as something that had a shot.

His football side, well I don't feel like violating the TOS so I won't go there.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I have to say that Brandon has done a great job on the marketing side of things.

He put a turd in a shiny package and sold it to everyone as something that had a shot.

His football side, well I don't feel like violating the TOS so I won't go there.

Agreed...Brandon is a great Marketing person who should not be anywhere near the football department and making those decisions.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm so so with the Nix move. He is probably the closest thing to the Polian / Butler / Smith tree as we can get. He could make a lot of points by getting rid of Guy and Modrak and replacing them with the young hungry types..

If he does that I feel much much better about his hire. This should be done Monday morning at the latest.

Nighthawk
01-01-2010, 12:32 PM
If he does that I feel much much better about his hire. This should be done Monday morning at the latest.

If this does not happen, then this was a "puppet" hire to appease the fans.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Brandon is a great marketing guy. Anyone that call fill the Ralph every game selling the **** he has to sell is pretty good at what he does.

Novacane
01-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Agreed

Typ0
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't really think it's a puppet hire...it's indication that Wilson knows he can't do any of this work any more and he wants to put people around him he thinks can do the job and he knows. Something in the mix has been afoul there is no question about that but if they can correct it without a complete overhaul it will take less time.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
found this out by doing a google search about Russ Brandon, did you know he was with the Florida Marlins before he came to the Bills.

As he sat among staff members, trading ideas for a back-to-school promotion for the Buffalo Bills, Russ Brandon couldn't help flashing back to late nights in minor league baseball, where a front-office job meant cold-calling sponsor prospects in the morning, hawking group tickets in the afternoon and covering the field if it rained at night.

"Everyone in sports should work in the minor leagues," said Brandon, vice president of business development and marketing for the Bills. "You learn that when it rains, it's time to pull a tarp. No matter what you do during the day, no matter what your job description is or what you think your responsibilities are, when it rains, you pull tarp.

"I'm very proud of that experience."

It has taken Brandon, 34, only 12 years to go from an internship with his hometown Rochester (N.Y.) Red Wings, a successful Class AAA baseball operation, to being the ranking executive on the Bills' business side, sitting beside owner Ralph Wilson at NFL meetings.

When Brandon arrived in Buffalo after five years in the Florida Marlins' organization — first in the minors, then in the majors — he found a franchise at odds with its own market. Coming off an unpleasant spat over stadium financing, the Bills had to sell $11 million in suites and premium seats to secure $63 million in public funding for stadium renovations.
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/2311

Michael82
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I could have told you this. He did a great job marketing when he was on Rochester Red Wings too. :up:

Historian
01-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Brandon will run the team in all areas EXCEPT football ops. Why you have a problem with that I have no idea.

PTR

Because he's a moron.

Historian
01-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Brandon is a great marketing guy. Anyone that call fill the Ralph every game selling the **** he has to sell is pretty good at what he does.

Bull feathers.

The Ralph was filled every weekend long before that ass was ever hired by the team.

And don't give me this regionalization crap either. As a season ticket holder going back to the Chuck Knox days, I can tell you, that the people in front, in back, and to my right were always Rochester people.

Giving Brandon credit for that is tantamount to crediting your mailman for your tax refund every year.

Philagape
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
I bet it was because of TO ... great marketing move, meaningless football move

Tiburon1724
01-01-2010, 05:52 PM
lol it refers to Rochester as "affluent and flourishing" what crack is he smokin?

Saratoga Slim
01-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I think Ralph promoted Brandon to make it clear that stripping the title of GM from Brandon's letterhead wasn't a demotion or condemnation of the job he's been doing. Like everyone else here has said, Brandon has been doing a great job with the business side. Ralph wants to keep him here, and happy.

theanswer74
01-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Bull feathers.

The Ralph was filled every weekend long before that ass was ever hired by the team.

And don't give me this regionalization crap either. As a season ticket holder going back to the Chuck Knox days, I can tell you, that the people in front, in back, and to my right were always Rochester people.

Giving Brandon credit for that is tantamount to crediting your mailman for your tax refund every year.
No it wasnt. Big Myth.

Ground Chuck
01-01-2010, 08:42 PM
I'll write slowly so I don't lose you...

Brandon...is...a...marketing...guy. He...is...being...promoted...to...a...marketing...and...management...position.

He is not a football guy. He never said he was a football guy. They hired the football guy. Brandon will run the team in all areas EXCEPT football ops. Why you have a problem with that I have no idea.

PTRThanks.

So, Brandon was in charge of football, he's PROMOTED, and now he's not.

If Russ was PROMOTED, to me that means that he would have the ability to fire Nix.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks.

So, Brandon was in charge of football, he's PROMOTED, and now he's not.

If Russ was PROMOTED, to me that means that he would have the ability to fire Nix.

He does have the ability to fire Nix. And he's going to sit back and let Nix do his job too. If Nix doesn't do well he'll fire him and hire someone else. All this talk about "promotions" is only an organizational restructuring to get more qualified people to fill important roles and increase the management quantity.

k-oneputt
01-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I really don't care what they do with Brandon as long as he has no say over anythying football related.
If Ralph needs him to sell tickets and hold his hand, who cares.

justasportsfan
01-02-2010, 06:59 PM
appeasing the fans would be hiring a big name instead of Nix, no?