X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Buddy Nix said Drafting "BPA" is a myth

Nix said those that claim they take BPA are lying. I've been saying that for a long time now. GMs cannot say "Well, we took a RB because ours sucks." They have to say "he was the highest rated player on our board".

Now, I've gone rounds with some people on here several tims over this. Here is the link.

Link of me calling it a myth a long time ago.

The prpose of this thread isn't to share the video, because there is probably already a thread on that. The purpose of this thread is to give insight into the draft process, AND to stop this "Strictly BPA" crap.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buddy Nix said Drafting "BPA" is a myth

Obviously, the BPA is the best player in their opinion. That makes him the highest rated player on the teams board. Additionally, need can play a role in the model used to rank that board. However, the philosophy of drafting strictly by need depletes the long term value you are going to get from the draft. Why have scouts at all if you are thinking you need DE so you go draft the DE the media has hyped up most. BPA is not a myth but it's not talking about the media or fans perception of the best player it's the decisions makers idea of BPA and I would argue that teams ALWAYS take BPA why would they take any less?

Originally posted by yordad
    Nix said those that claim they take BPA are lying. I've been saying that for a long time now. GMs cannot say "Well, we took a RB because ours sucks." They have to say "he was the highest rated player on our board".

Now, I've gone rounds with some people on here several tims over this. Here is the link.

The prpose of this thread isn't to share the video, because there is probably already a thread on that. The purpose of this thread is to give insight into the draft process, AND to stop this "Strictly BPA" crap.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

There is always an element of need when drafting.

I think "BPA" means if you need a LB and one is on the board that is an 80 rating and there is also a WR that is a 90, you take the WR that is 90.

If the LB is 88 and the WR is 90 you take the LB because you have a strong need there.
      Last edited by Mahdi; 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I know several years ago I posted a multi-attribute attitudinal model that I thought would be used to rank the players on the board by a team. It's much more likely they do something like that and then take their top ranked players. That would be good decision making IMO.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
          There is always an element of need when drafting.

I think "BPA" means if you need a LB and one is on the board that is an 80 rating and there is also a WR that is a 90, you take the WR that is 90.

If the LB is 88 and the WR is 90 you take the LB because you have a strong need there.

I disagree. Need would be factored into the model and already accounted for in the 88 so you would still take the 90. That's how you make the tough decisions without being arbitrary.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Typ0
            I disagree. Need would be factored into the model and already accounted for in the 88 so you would still take the 90. That's how you make the tough decisions without being arbitrary.
            Need is not factored into prospect ratings. They are rated on their skills only. Once you rate a player you place him on your board and the board is based on the best football players not the players you need.

Then when your pick is up you pick the player that rates highest. Need only comes into it when you are choosing between similarly rated prospects.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mahdi
              Need is not factored into prospect ratings. They are rated on their skills only. Once you rate a player you place him on your board and the board is based on the best football players not the players you need.

Then when your pick is up you pick the player that rates highest. Need only comes into it when you are choosing between similarly rated prospects.
              Bingo. BUT, "need" does come up. "Strictly BPA" is just a GM trying to be nice to the guy he is replacing with that pic.

In other words, we will not be drafting a defensive back in the first round this year.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

Bingo. BUT, "need" does come up. "Strictly BPA" is just a GM trying to be nice to the guy he is replacing with that pic.

In other words, we will not be drafting a defensive back in the first round this year.
                I wouldn't bet on that...we could use a top-flight CB and an impact safety.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Griff
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by YardRat
                  I wouldn't bet on that...we could use a top-flight CB and an impact safety.
                  wtf, our secondary was the best part of this team this year, Fred and Brian being #2.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

The pure BPA theory doesn't exist in the NFL, but there is a form of it. It's really the BPAU or the Best Player Available for Us strategy. Team personnel strategists rate players on all the measurables, productivity, level of college competition, interviews that they have available to them, but team need and the appropriateness of a player for the systems the team employs inevitably are factored into the way a team puts its big board together. Case in point: Gerald McCoy is pretty much a consensus #2 defensive tackle in the draft. However, at least in the opinion of some pundits, McCoy is strictly a 4-3 defensive tackle, and nothing else. If NFL teams agree with that assessment, a team that runs a 3-4 is not going to draft him, even if he is the most talented player left on the board at that point.

Teams drafting for need get into trouble if they reach too far for a player. It becomes a question of how much weight do you place on need. If you're desperate for a left tackle, and there is a run on left tackles before you can draft, you can't just go and get the next best available left tackle in the draft. He might even be available when you draft in the next round.

So, if you've got a group of players that you rate pretty close together in terms of their likely success in the NFL, and one of them matches more closely than the others a need you're trying to fill, that's the guy you draft.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                      The pure BPA theory doesn't exist in the NFL, but there is a form of it. It's really the BPAU or the Best Player Available for Us strategy. Team personnel strategists rate players on all the measurables, productivity, level of college competition, interviews that they have available to them, but team need and the appropriateness of a player for the systems the team employs inevitably are factored into the way a team puts its big board together. Case in point: Gerald McCoy is pretty much a consensus #2 defensive tackle in the draft. However, at least in the opinion of some pundits, McCoy is strictly a 4-3 defensive tackle, and nothing else. If NFL teams agree with that assessment, a team that runs a 3-4 is not going to draft him, even if he is the most talented player left on the board at that point.

Teams drafting for need get into trouble if they reach too far for a player. It becomes a question of how much weight do you place on need. If you're desperate for a left tackle, and there is a run on left tackles before you can draft, you can't just go and get the next best available left tackle in the draft. He might even be available when you draft in the next round.

So, if you've got a group of players that you rate pretty close together in terms of their likely success in the NFL, and one of them matches more closely than the others a need you're trying to fill, that's the guy you draft.

yep. this sums it up nicely. teams mostly draft need not BPA... though in the later rounds there is a little BPA drafting.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Buddo
                        • Mar 2007

It is definitely a myth. If it wasn't a myth, there would be no need for the actual draft to take place. By the time the various scouting organisations have picked over the bones of the prospects, you will have pretty much a base grade for them all. Note that there are several 'groups' of scouts who actually pool information anyway. That being the case, the prospects could simply be slotted to teams based on their draft position.
                        The other reason it is a 'myth', is that teams will use additional factors in grading players. Those factors, as others have already mentioned, will be in respect of both need and scheme. That fundamentally cannot translate into bpa.
                        Where teams claim to be picking bpa, is once they have added in those factors, and made up their board. It may not always be exact, I'm sure for example, that Mahdi's case has occurred before now somewhere, (the 88 to 90 switch) but that, to me, is actually 'going against' your board.
                        It is also true to say that teams will ignore some talented players completely, if they don't 'fit' their scheme. they will also ignore players who have demonstrable problems/issues.
                        In many respects, BPA can be deemed to be a myth as soon as teams decide to factor in anything else other than talent, in their grading systems.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Teams that value BPA over need on draft day are the franchises that are more successful.

Teams that draft strictly on need bypass better talents to fill holes.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                            Teams that value BPA over need on draft day are the franchises that are more successful.

Teams that draft strictly on need bypass better talents to fill holes.
                            Buddy Nix says you are lying. He said Players that fit onto the field should be drafted. He mentioned you may only have them for 4 or 5 years, so thry have to contribute early. And he says any GM who tells you differently is flat out lying.

I think this means no more first round "projects".

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                              Peterman Sucks!
                              • Mar 2006

Buddy Nix says you are lying. He said Players that fit onto the field should be drafted. He mentioned you may only have them for 4 or 5 years, so thry have to contribute early. And he says any GM who tells you differently is flat out lying.

I think this means no more first round "projects".

Really? He says I'm lying?

How many times have we reached in the past decade getting a guy because we "need" him based on getting a guy who's clearly better elsewhere?

No one will say we drafted Maybin because he was BPA, he was a need, and a BAD reach.

Comment

Working...
                              X