PDA

View Full Version : NFL CBA Q&A page

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think the uncapped year is nearly as bad for the Bills as some people want to portray.

In fact, in several ways, it's better.

http://salsports.com/www.SalSports.com/NFL_CBA_Q%26A.html

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Is there anywhere you or anyone else has or knows that lists who will be a FA after this season if it indeed becomes an uncapped year?

I personally think the NFL should go back to the old Plan B structure rather than what they have now.

It allows for more continuity in franchises and allows them to keep higher skilled players longer.

Dr. Lecter
01-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Is there anywhere you or anyone else has or knows that lists who will be a FA after this season if it indeed becomes an uncapped year?

I personally think the NFL should go back to the old Plan B structure rather than what they have now.

It allows for more continuity in franchises and allows them to keep higher skilled players longer.

You need 6 years to be RFA if it is uncapped, but I am not sure of the list. I know Icognito is UFA with a cap and a RFA w/o one.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Where does TO fall in a uncapped year?

SquishDaFish
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
TO has 6 or more years in NFL so he is still UFA

YardRat
01-01-2010, 06:36 PM

I've been looking for a list myself, but coming up with only short lists, bits and pieces here and there.

Typ0
01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't think the uncapped year is nearly as bad for the Bills as some people want to portray.

In fact, in several ways, it's better.

http://salsports.com/www.SalSports.com/NFL_CBA_Q%26A.html

in what ways is it better?

The Jokeman
01-01-2010, 08:54 PM

This is the site I typically go to for free agents (http://www.theredzone.org/FreeAgency/2010FreeAgents.aspx). I didn't realize uncapped year meant that four year veterans would be RFAs this offseason until read that Q&A which means many of the prime free agents are essentially off the market. Yet appears my site knew as they even have asterisks by guys who would have been UFA had it been a capped year.

Dr. Lecter
01-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Top teams are limited in what players they can sign.

The top (4? 8?) can only sign FAs after they lose FAs

Mr. Pink
01-01-2010, 09:38 PM
This is the site I typically go to for free agents (http://www.theredzone.org/FreeAgency/2010FreeAgents.aspx). I didn't realize uncapped year meant that four year veterans would be RFAs this offseason until read that Q&A which means many of the prime free agents are essentially off the market. Yet appears my site knew as they even have asterisks by guys who would have been UFA had it been a capped year.

Excellent!

Thank you :)

Coach Sal
01-01-2010, 10:02 PM

--Puts several restrictions on the "top 8" finishing teams from the previous year, as far as signing FAs. That would give teams who didn't make the playoffs (like the Bills) a little better chance in signing someone (theoretically 8 less teams bidding or who need a guy for that spot).

--If they want to, they can designate an extra Transition Player in an uncapped year.

--6 years to become a FA as opposed to 4 means a lot less FAs.

To me, anything that hinders "bigger" teams with more money - which all this is due to more FA restrictions - is a positive to smaller teams who traditionally don't spend as much.

No cap means nothing if there are no FAs to worry about. There will be far less in this scenario.

Michael82
01-02-2010, 12:49 AM
I found a list of the additional 212 free agents that will be RFAs and a few of them are Pro Bowlers. I read our list and it only includes Keith Ellison, George Wilson, Richie Incognito, Ashton Youboty, and Joe Klopfenstein who will be RFA now instead of UFA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/the-212-players-who-wont-be-unrestricted-free-agents/#more

clumping platelets
01-02-2010, 05:44 AM
A single "uncapped" year is not bad but long term is devastating

Typ0
01-02-2010, 08:44 AM
OK, now I know where you are coming from. I couldn't figure out the positives from your Q & A because I just read through these things thinking they meant very little. Teams are in championship games because they already have the players they want. Less FAs also means those teams have less of a chance to lose those players. So it's all really a wash and actually helps the better teams keep their players in place and build old school football dynasties. That does not sound better for us to me. Furthermore, if the NFL does not negotiate this with the players union again the Bills are really in the dog house so I would say any uncapped agreement is a huge negative for the Bills.

--Puts several restrictions on the "top 8" finishing teams from the previous year, as far as signing FAs. That would give teams who didn't make the playoffs (like the Bills) a little better chance in signing someone (theoretically 8 less teams bidding or who need a guy for that spot).

--If they want to, they can designate an extra Transition Player in an uncapped year.

--6 years to become a FA as opposed to 4 means a lot less FAs.

To me, anything that hinders "bigger" teams with more money - which all this is due to more FA restrictions - is a positive to smaller teams who traditionally don't spend as much.

No cap means nothing if there are no FAs to worry about. There will be far less in this scenario.