PDA

View Full Version : "You're going to think I'm crazy, but we're not that far away."

Don't Panic
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Taking this Nix quote from the press conference yesterday, let's take a look at what this could mean in terms of current personnel...

Offense:
Solidifying the line seems to be a priority, based on what was said about shattering our QBs' confidence with weak protection. That means pass blocking, and probably a look to upgrade the LT position via the draft. We have enough pieces to fill the other 4 spots if everyone is healthy, so I wouldn't imagine anything more than a late round pick or mid-level free agent addition would be needed.

The skill positions are where I think Nix's quote rings true. We have potentially a top 5 RB duo, a quality #1 WR in Evans, and a decent and improving TE corp. The missing link is solid play out of the QB position. Nix's comments lead one to believe that we MAY have the answer at QB on the current roster. It'll be interesting to see if and how he looks to compliment the current stable. His comments show that he is looking for patience, so it isn't out of the question that he could look to draft Bradford or someone else with our 1st rounder, but it seems unlikely to me. Besides, I think time will show that Bradford is the only one worthy of a top 10 pick, and if he looks good enough to go top 10, he will most likely be gone by the time the Bills come up. The crop of FAs (capped or uncapped) is less than stellar, but there may be a diamond that Nix spots in the rough from that group.

I know all this is very debatable, but my concern isn't about the offense. What I want to know is what you think about the D...

Defense
At this point I would say all signs point 3-4. I suppose the 4-3 could be retained with the Cover 2 being tossed, but if (and I realize this is a big if) the Bills feel they can find a worthy NT, I think they'll make the switch. We've talked about this before, but some of the pieces are in place to make the switch to the 3-4. Let's operate from the assumption that Nix's quote could apply to either scheme, giving him flexibility on who he can hire as head coach.

Which players that we currently have do you think have a position in both schemes. My hope is that by getting a consensus it will make it obvious who needs to go once the coaching hire is made... which could come in a matter of days. If Nix thinks that we aren't that far off, then a bunch of these guys will be back next year... consider that when voting.

In a post below, explain what you think we need to make each scheme work. Operate under the assumption that the Cover 2 is gone... which isn't a stretch based on what Nix has already said.

PECKERWOOD
01-02-2010, 01:05 AM
If you push Schobel to outside linebacker, he will be the best in the AFC East, IMHO.

Prov401
01-02-2010, 01:19 AM
I really don't understand how Stroud is 2nd to Poz in the voting. He does not fit the 3-4 scheme at all. He is not a capable elite NT what-so-ever. And he is nowhere quick enough to be a DE. IMO, if we switch to a 3-4 (which I hope we do), Stroud could be expendible. I believe we'd need 2 more starting LB's to go along with Poz and Maybin, an NT, and another DE opposite Schobel (if he returns).

ByrdsTheWord
01-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I really don't understand how Stroud is 2nd to Poz in the voting. He does not fit the 3-4 scheme at all. He is not a capable elite NT what-so-ever. And he is nowhere quick enough to be a DE. IMO, if we switch to a 3-4 (which I hope we do), Stroud could be expendible. I believe we'd need 2 more starting LB's to go along with Poz and Maybin, an NT, and another DE opposite Schobel (if he returns).

The role of a 34 DE is completely different from that of a 43 DE. A NT, and DE of a 34 defense is responisble for taking up space to protect your LBs. If we move a 34 defense we would need a NT. Somebody like Terrence Cody in the draft or possibly signing a FA like Casey Hampton would do the trick. Move Stroud and Kyle WIlliams to DE. I dont think Schobel will be an effective OLB as he is much like Aaron Kampman. He's struggled making the move. Keep Poz and Mitchell on the inside and move Maybin outside. Stroud would be a great DE as he eats up space.

yordad
01-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I also think Schobel would struggle at OLB. He plays kind of old for the spot. Slow hips. Tight knees. If he was his weight now back when he was drafted he would have been really good.

yordad
01-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Also, I don't understand. Holdover implies we are changing schemes, yet you want to know who fits both? That must be why Maybin didn't get 100%.

Don't Panic
01-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Also, I don't understand. Holdover implies we are changing schemes, yet you want to know who fits both? That must be why Maybin didn't get 100%.

Yeah... I kind of crammed three ideas into one thread here. Lesson learned. This all originated from my trying to see Nix's point of view that we aren't that far away, and how that implies that we must have front 7 personnel for either sheme, or that he already knows which scheme he is hiring for.

Some good stuff coming out of the poll... looks like the consensus is that we have seven guys that can play either scheme. Considering that we have a solid secondary, you start to see what Nix means. Amazingly, this team may be only 4-5 new guys away from being competitive. Could 1 or 2 free agent additions, a solid draft and a competent coach get this team competing for a playoff spot next season? Looks that way....

Typ0
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
A lot of us have been saying this for several years now. Last offseason was the first time in years both sides of the ball improved. With solid QB play were were in the playoffs this year. Nix needs to fix the OLine & DLine and get a QB and this team is in business. It can be done in one year they are already late in the five year plan to get all these things done.

Mahdi
01-02-2010, 09:03 AM
If you push Schobel to outside linebacker, he will be the best in the AFC East, IMHO.
Schobel cannot play OLB. Ask the younger Aaron Kampman about it. He hated the transition and when he got injured and was replaced by Brad Jones the Packers D improved.

Schobel is not even fast enough to be a pass rusher with his hand in the ground, how is he going to drop into coverage routinely?

Akhippo
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Schobel would have to go. Old dog new tricks thing.
K Williams would be a good NT backup, would need a starter though.
Johnson and Denney would be good 34 ends, not Kelsay.
You would need another OLB with Poz Mitchell and Maybin holding the other spots.

Defense IMO was going to have to be upgraded no matter what scheme we use. Aside from a LT I would load up on LB and D lineman this year.

Either switching out of the cover two or moving to the 34, this defense is going to need major players. Lets just bite the bullet ala GB and get it done.