PDA

View Full Version : Source: Rivera to be candidate for Bills coaching job

patmoran2006
01-02-2010, 02:20 AM
Rumors on the Bills head coaching search are sure to fly over the next several days if not weeks, and I’ve learned of one coordinator who could be a strong candidate.

Despite hinting strongly during his introductory press conference that he’d likely hire a head coach with previous experience, a source tells me defensive coordinator Ron Rivera will be high on new general manager Buddy Nix’s list of candidates for the Bills head coaching position.

STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/source-rivera-to-be-candidate-for-bills-coaching-job/)

Dying_-2-_Live
01-02-2010, 02:23 AM
I would not mind that one bit... Id rather have him than weis

Dying_-2-_Live
01-02-2010, 02:45 AM
oh thanks, Pat, for the info BTW

PECKERWOOD
01-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Rivera is a defensive minded coach, but will he run the 3-4? He has experience in both the Tampa2 and the 3-4.

TrEd FTW
01-02-2010, 03:20 AM
If we go the current coordinator route, Rivera would be my top choice.

Dying_-2-_Live
01-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Rivera is a defensive minded coach, but will he run the 3-4? He has experience in both the Tampa2 and the 3-4.
He would run the 3-4
and i could almost guarantee we'd draft either McClain or T. Cody with the first pick if he were HC

YardRat
01-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Does this mean I can add 'Source for pat' to my resume?

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3094400#post3094400

SquishDaFish
01-02-2010, 05:32 AM
I wouldnt mind him at all. If it was a coordinator then I would rank in order Rivera,Weiss then Grimm

Luisito23
01-02-2010, 05:51 AM
He's OK, but I thought we wanted an offensive mind here?

Night Train
01-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Another guy with no HC experience, learning on the job.

Luisito23
01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Another guy with no HC experience.

We should all be used to that by now.

SquishDaFish
01-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Another guy with no HC experience, learning on the job.

Hes got more experience then most coordinators

THRILLHO
01-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Hes got more experience then most coordinators

But less than most coaches.

superbills
01-02-2010, 08:38 AM
But the flip side is he doesn't have one foot in the grave and he hasn't failed as a head coach either.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 08:41 AM
If this is true, the Nix hire looks worse and worse. I'm not totally against Rivera, but this organization seems to be working the exact same way as it has for the past 10 years.

methos4ever
01-02-2010, 08:41 AM
He would run the 3-4
and i could almost guarantee we'd draft either McClain or T. Cody with the first pick if he were HC
Actually, he's made the 3-4 the Chargers run more formidable by abandoning most of the Tampa 2 stuff he did in Chicago with Lovie and mixing in blitzing and things he learned as a player...in Chicago with Buddy Ryan.

So if he was the guy here, we could use 3-4 looks sure, but don't be married to the idea of a purely 3-4. These past two years have been the first time he's been near a 3-4 and that's why he went to the Chargers as a then-linebacker coach.

mybills
01-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't want no stinkin' dc! (accent intended)

mybills
01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
He's OK, but I thought we wanted an offensive mind here?
They're all liars!

Mahdi
01-02-2010, 08:47 AM
STORY (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2010/01/source-rivera-to-be-candidate-for-bills-coaching-job/)
Knew it. I thought of that name last night.

He was the Bears DC when they were at their best playing the cover 2. Then he moved to SD the next year after the SB I believe and stuck with the 3-4 over there. Not sure what he would do with our D.

The Spaz
01-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Guys he's a candidate it doesn't mean he already was given the job..

baalworship
01-02-2010, 08:58 AM

He was the Bears DC when they were at their best playing the cover 2. Then he moved to SD the next year after the SB I believe and stuck with the 3-4 over there. Not sure what he would do with our D.

My guess is that the chances of running the 3-4 are greater than 50%. Nix has been drafting for the 3-4 most of his career so I bet he would want the coach to be running that system.

From Nix interview he said that he would prioritize head coaching candidates and would try to sign their top guy right away. So is Ron Rivera the Bills top candidate?

Night Train
01-02-2010, 09:06 AM

He was a LB on the famous '85 Buddy Ryan Bears D which ran a 4-3 and with Nix just having left the Chargers the past year, people are obviously connecting the dots.

He's been exposed to several types of schemes. Still, even Nix was a HC in college and I don't want any more first time guys who may struggle to put together a quality staff and think fast on their feet, come gameday.

I will despise anyone that comes in here and tries to continue with the failing Cover 2.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
He was a LB on the famous '85 Buddy Ryan Bears D which ran a 4-3 and with Nix just having left the Chargers the past year, people are obviously connecting the dots.

He's been exposed to several types of schemes. Still, even Nix was a HC in college and I don't want any more first time guys who may struggle to put together a quality staff and think fast on their feet, come gameday.

I will despise anyone that comes in here and tries to continue with the failing Cover 2.

Agreed...this team will be mediocre again if we have a 70 year old rookie GM and a rookie HC. That is a recipe for disaster...yet again!

TheBrownBear
01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Not excited by this one bit. SD's defense is still mediocre. Rivers and the pass offense carry that team.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Not excited by this one bit. SD's defense is still mediocre. Rivers and the pass offense carry that team.

Ha, ha...then he'd fit right in with this organization.

baalworship
01-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Bears players state they miss Ron Rivera..

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1946413,CST-SPT-bear18.article

What was unspoken is that the Bears have not filled those shoes. The Bears' defense ranked second and fifth in total yards allowed in Rivera's final two seasons. Under Babich, the Bears dropped to 28th in 2007 and 21st in 2008, when Smith demoted Babich and took over defensive play-calling duties.

T-Long
01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
I'l take it as long as he is the DC too

Rivera HC/DC
Weis OC

Syderick
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM

SD's defense is better then the Bills.

ChristopherWalken
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Well, technically they can't even talk to Rivera about it until after the Chargers season is through. But I don't think I would mind this much IF the Bills can get a GOOD OC.

Mr. Miyagi
01-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Rooney Rule candidate.

YardRat
01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Rooney Rule candidate.

Fewell's already the RR guy...

ChristopherWalken
01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I think that the RR forces more segregation.

Kind of stupid as minority candidates are sometimes only brought in to appease a rule. Like being the "token" candidate.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think that NFL GMs and owners really give two ****s what you look like as long as you are capable of winning games.

T-Long
01-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I think he can interview as long as he has permission. I may be wrong though.

homeslice5484
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Nix said he does not like having these undersized guys who get tired quickly and are more prone to injury, that right there says the Cover 2 is gone.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 10:25 AM
I think he can interview as long as he has permission. I may be wrong though.

Yes, because they have a bye the first week of the playoffs, the Bills can ask permission and interview him then. However, they will not be able to hire him or talk to him again until the Chargers' season is over.

T-Long
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Yes, because they have a bye the first week of the playoffs, the Bills can ask permission and interview him then. However, they will not be able to hire him or talk to him again until the Chargers' season is over.
Yeah that's right. So with the Chargers having the bye, that will allow the Bills to interview him next week which will be their only opportunity till the season is over. I guess we will really get a good idea on if he interviewed well if the process is taking forever and the Chargers are still in the playoffs.

methos4ever
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Nix said he does not like having these undersized guys who get tired quickly and are more prone to injury, that right there says the Cover 2 is gone.
It might mean the end of the Tampa 2, especially since that's why he left the Bears - he wanted to blitz liberally and Lovie likes to blitz less so.

If anything we can look to a team like the Jaguars, who use the "Old School" Cover 2, which blitzes and doesn't require the team to be undersized; if anything, Jax has been known as a Florida team that has been built to play playoff football in the Northeast. And I don't think any of us would mind that.

Nublar7
01-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Rivera is more along the lines of who Buffalo will hire. Forget A-List guys like Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher they will not land one of those.

Look for someone like Weis, Rivera or Trestman to get the job in Buffalo.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Rivera is more along the lines of who Buffalo will hire. Forget A-List guys like Shanahan, Gruden and Cowher they will not land one of those.

Look for someone like Weis, Rivera or Trestman to get the job in Buffalo.

Like your HC...a C or B list guy.

Michael82
01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I'd move him above Weis on my list. He wouldn't be a bad choice. But I still prefer Cowher, Schottenheimer or Fox first.

homeslice5484
they say Rivera is a no nonsense coach, that is a plus...but will he hire Weis as the offensive coordinator and actually focus on fixing this offense?

Nighthawk
I'd move him above Weis on my list. He wouldn't be a bad choice. But I still prefer Cowher, Schottenheimer or Fox first.

I would be very happy with any of them!

Nublar7
01-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Like your HC...a C or B list guy.Hey, I was just trying to join in on the conversation, why try and start smack?

Since you started it though, I will mention that our "C or B list guy" has a division title and a playoff berth already under his belt during his two years here. Plus he has had his team in the playoff hunt during the final week of both seasons. I know it is an absolute long shot and won't happen, but Miami is mathematically still alive for the playoffs this season. Plus, he is 3-1 against the Bills and has an 8-4 division record in two seasons.

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in over a decade and haven't won a division title since 1995. So go ahead and insult our coach if that somehow makes you feel better. He is still better then anything the Bills have had in a LONG LONG time.

patmoran2006
01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Guys he's a candidate it doesn't mean he already was given the job..

Exactly, im sure you're going to hear multiple names linked to the Bills in the coming days.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey, I was just trying to join in on the conversation, why try and start smack?

Since you started it though, I will mention that our "C or B list guy" has a division title and a playoff berth already under his belt during his two years here. Plus he has had his team in the playoff hunt during the final week of both seasons. I know it is an absolute long shot and won't happen, but Miami is mathematically still alive for the playoffs this season. Plus, he is 3-1 against the Bills and has an 8-4 division record in two seasons.

The Bills haven't made the playoffs in over a decade and haven't won a division title since 1995. So go ahead and insult our coach if that somehow makes you feel better. He is still better then anything the Bills have had in a LONG LONG time.

Not really saying much there.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Exactly, im sure you're going to hear multiple names linked to the Bills in the coming days.

Don't report this crap Pat, I can't take the thought of another mediocre, first time HC! :please:

homeslice5484
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Pat, besides Cower and the big names, what non A-List guy or guys would you look into?

Novacane
01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Please no. Nix and Rivera equals the same old same old. Probably the 2 cheapest guys Ralph could hire.

patmoran2006
01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Pat, besides Cower and the big names, what non A-List guy or guys would you look into?

Besides Cowher, I dont really know there are any "A" list candidates are.

In regards to names, I suppose that Weis, Billick and Martz are the next wave. The only news we've heard about any of them was a report last weeks (sorry cant remember by whom) that says the Bills contacted Weiss.

Keep this in mind though, Atlanta and Baltimore both went to playoffs in 2008 with first time coaches (Harbaugh, Smith), and IMO Atlanta was far away the year before.. But they drafted a great QB and signed a great RB and turned it around in a year.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Besides Cowher, I dont really know there are any "A" list candidates are.

In regards to names, I suppose that Weis, Billick and Martz are the next wave. The only news we've heard about any of them was a report last weeks (sorry cant remember by whom) that says the Bills contacted Weiss.

Keep this in mind though, Atlanta and Baltimore both went to playoffs in 2008 with first time coaches (Harbaugh, Smith), and IMO Atlanta was far away the year before.. But they drafted a great QB and signed a great RB and turned it around in a year.

They were in a position to draft a good QB...knowing the Bills, they'll win tomorrow and drop in the draft order. Also, Atlanta actually did a thorough search for their GM, so they actually did things the right way and not the cheap way.

Demon
01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
If this is true, the Nix hire looks worse and worse. I'm not totally against Rivera, but this organization seems to be working the exact same way as it has for the past 10 years.

Looks worse and worse to who? All the people who had their heads up on cloud 9? A lot of people saw this from a mile away. I still think Cam Cameron gets the job. He has 1 season of experience.

What known guy will want to work with a first time 70 year old GM?

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks worse and worse to who? All the people who had their heads up on cloud 9? A lot of people saw this from a mile away. I still think Cam Cameron gets the job. He has 1 season of experience.

What known guy will want to work with a first time 70 year old GM?

No, most people actually believed that they would conduct a search outside the organization and not hire another lackey from within. I'm sure you even thought this...now don't lie.

Demon
01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
No, most people actually believed that they would conduct a search outside the organization and not hire another lackey from within. I'm sure you even thought this...now don't lie.

Well yeah, i thought so too. I meant, after hiring Nix, all expectations went down under and realistic names are Martz, Haslett, Fassel, Cameron and now Rivera. Knowing Nix is our GM, i wasn't expecting anything more then that.

They shocked us all by hiring from within and now who knows what they will do, except go cheap. Thats the only thing we know.

Demon
01-02-2010, 12:08 PM
they say Rivera is a no nonsense coach, that is a plus...but will he hire Weis as the offensive coordinator and actually focus on fixing this offense?
Weis would probably demand more $$$ then Rivera, so that's probably a no-go.

soapman
01-02-2010, 12:36 PM
SD's defense is better then the Bills.
There's a shorter list of who's defenses the Bills are better than...

casdhf
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
At least we're stealing guys from a good team, not the Lions and Bears anymore.

methos4ever
01-02-2010, 12:53 PM
At least we're stealing guys from a good team, not the Lions and Bears anymore.
If anything it's payback for allowing SD to become Buffalo West in its front office. I wouldn't mind a coaching/player San Diego East.

NorthCarBills
01-02-2010, 01:20 PM
If anything it's payback for allowing SD to become Buffalo West in its front office. I wouldn't mind a coaching/player San Diego East.

True. I probably know more about SD's front office than I do their players! LOL

I wish I knew more about Rivera other than knowing he was a strong candidate a few years ago for HC positions. If memory serves, I think he was going to take over the Bears HC opening, and when that didnt happen, he ended up in SD as one of the most highly touted DCs.

TrEd FTW
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
We're not going to get Rivera. I think the Bills will have a new coach within two weeks, and I don't see San Diego's season ending before then. They could very well go to the Super Bowl, finally.

Beastie Bills
01-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I'd love him as the Defensive Coordinator, but not as Head Coach.

jimbohastle51
01-02-2010, 03:43 PM
PLEASE GOD NO!!! He has no head coaching expierience and all that talent was already there before he got there. It was said the reason he didnt land any jobs 3 years ago was because he was terribly unprepared.

jamze132
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
How about the team of Cowher as HC, Weiss as OC, and Rivera as DC?

That would probably be about as good as it could get outside of Dick LeBeau as DC. I also doubt Rivera would leave SD for another DC position.

patmoran2006
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
How about the team of Cowher as HC, Weiss as OC, and Rivera as DC?

That would probably be about as good as it could get outside of Dick LeBeau as DC. I also doubt Rivera would leave SD for another DC position.
Do you honestly think Wilson would pay for any of that in those particular positions?

And there's no way Rivera is leaving a solid D.C. job in SD to come to Buffalo for the same role. Laterall move from SD to Buffalo?

He's head coach or nothing here.

rcd333
01-02-2010, 04:02 PM
i actually don't think he could even move laterally from team to team. he would have to be promoted unless his contract is up.

jamze132
01-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Do you honestly think Wilson would pay for any of that in those particular positions?

And there's no way Rivera is leaving a solid D.C. job in SD to come to Buffalo for the same role. Laterall move from SD to Buffalo?

He's head coach or nothing here.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in my post of infinite wisdom...

Ground Chuck
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Rivera also spent some time in Philly under Jim Johnson.

He obviously knows the Ryan system. I would doubt he would be switching to a 3-4. But since we only have one decent LB now, I don't understand the mad rush to put another one on the field.