PDA

View Full Version : How many 91 year olds like change ?

Night Train
01-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Could anyone see Ralph actually asking 5-6 GM candidates to fly to Detroit and spending several hours interviewing each candidate, who may wish to clean house and fill the offices with unfamiliar faces ? He doesn't have the energy or attention span, at his advanced age.

Anyone here have elderly relatives ? Ever try to get them to move out of their house/neighborhood they've been familiar with for decades ? :monte:

The method of selection (walking down the hall at OBD and looking for the best familiar face) was dead wrong.. but hardly surprising.

Luckily, the one semi-acceptable choice was Nix, who just returned several months ago and had nothing to do with this terrible decade of failure. He can go to the post-season all-star games/combines with a notebook already full of reports and know what the hell he's looking at.

The downside is that many of the familiar faces like Modrak, Guy etc. may still be hanging around. Time will tell.

If the Bills can now find the right coach, this rebuild can begin properly in spite of Ralph. I'll give it a chance.

But what happened Thursday was hardly a surprise. The elderly hate change and if they still have the power..it ain't happenin' .

yordad
01-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I wrote a similar thread some time ago. You might be interested so here. I wrote it about a year ago. It is titled "Maybe Ralph stays "in-house" because..." link (http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=144210&highlight=Ralph)

Trust. It’s only natural.

Why did Ralph Wilson want to bring Marv back two years ago? Trust. I think Wilson felt like Donahoe had done him wrong. When he brought Marv back, to me it seemed he was coming in to be sort of a godfather. Someone to lead the team should Wilson pass in mid season or during transitioning to a new owner.

Why did they hire Jauron? I think it is because he is a noble guy. Someone Wilson and Marv can trust. An Ivy leaguer who speaks like a politician without the salesmanship. Dick says all the right things, and seems to speak slowly because he is choosing has words. He seems like one of the most truest, nicest, respectable, trustworthy people ever.

And Jauron has had the carpet pulled out from under him before. He got ousted by a new GM in Chicago, and tossed aside in Detroit.

Now, Jauron has his favorite players. And, the noble guy seems a little too loyal to players at times. It seems several players could have been promoted earlier but weren't because their history together. In fact, Jauron got defensive when asked in an interview if his background with A-Train prevented him from promoting Fred Jackson sooner.

Who is to say he isn’t the same way when promoting a coach. Seems it would be a lot easier giving the nod to a certain coach you like, compared to how easy it would be to give the nod to a certain player. I think he trust Schonert. He thinks Schonert wouldn’t throw him under the bus any time soon, especially after being given such a promotion. It isn’t like Schonert is a threat to take his job any time soon. A “Martz” type hire would have him looking over his shoulder; especially with a different guy manning the “GM” role. Mainly, I’m saying other factors were considered when this hire was made, not just who was the most qualified.

In fact, all the coaching staff has a connection to the DJ, RW, or ML in some way. A lot of staffs are like that, but I think this one is more than usual. Even Kuglar, the new O-line coach, worked with Jauron in Detroit. This isn’t even the first time Jauron made him OL coach. He did the same at the end of ‘05 when he was named interim coach for the Lions.

Now, back to Wilson. The last time he made a significant move hiring a top guy, it was Donahoe, and that turned out awful. Now he has to pick a new head guy. Brandon is going on 12 years with the Bills. Overdorf has been with the Bills 22 years. Modrak and John Guy are each going on 8 years with the Bills. In fact, a lot of the staff has worked for Wilson for 20+ years. These guys have gained Wilson’s trust.

It would seem only natural for a old guy like Wilson to trust these guys. And, only natural for him to not want to leave his comfort zone. Only natural for him to not want to shake things up. Only natural for him to want to keep those he trust happy. Keep it like a family.

And, only natural for him to promote from within at his stage in life; even if the guy isn't a top name.

yordad
01-02-2010, 07:40 AM
I really think the way he has it set up now he can be an absentee landlord. He has a football guy reporting to a marketing guy. He said Brandon reports directly to him, and that Brandon will oversee the whole thing. He called him his "CEO".

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even attend the games any more.

Nighthawk
01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Honestly, the Nix hire seems to signal another hire who Ralph can control. There is absolutely ZERO reason why anybody in that football dept. should still have their jobs after the season and if Nix doesn't make any changes, then it confirms that Ralph is pulling his strings.

TigerJ
01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I understand entirely the notion that Ralph hired from within because he's not comfortable with change. It's the "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" understanding of reality. I think it's probably pretty close to the truth. It's also true that Nix is probably going to be less brash in his hiring and drafting strategy than a young dude. It doesn't necessarily follow that Nix will therefore do a poor job. He's shown very good judgment in his contribution to Bills drafts in the early 90s and more recently with the Chargers' drafts of recent years. I'm willing to call a spade a spade, but I want to watch the game being played for a while. But then, that may be because I'm old too.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I really think the way he has it set up now he can be an absentee landlord. He has a football guy reporting to a marketing guy. He said Brandon reports directly to him, and that Brandon will oversee the whole thing. He called him his "CEO".

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even attend the games any more.

I think this was a wise choice for Wilson and something he's been trying to achieve for quite a few years. I hope it works out this time.

yordad
01-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I think this was a wise choice for Wilson and something he's been trying to achieve for quite a few years. I hope it works out this time.Yes, I think you are right. Actually I think he tried this with Donahoe, and has been reluctant to do it again due to the scars he received from that one. That is why he immediately reached for his security blanket, Marv Levy.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, I think you are right. Actually I think he tried this with Donahoe, and has been reluctant to do it again due to the scars he received from that one. That is why he immediately reached for his security blanket, Marv Levy.

Levy was a bad hire and killed precious time. People were happy though so it didn't matter. The bottom is dropping out on the crap now they are going to have to put up or move.

DynaPaul
01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
To make a Lord of the Rings analogy here:

Russ Brandon = Grima Wormtongue

Ralph Wilson = King Theoden

TigerJ
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Honestly, the Nix hire seems to signal another hire who Ralph can control. There is absolutely ZERO reason why anybody in that football dept. should still have their jobs after the season and if Nix doesn't make any changes, then it confirms that Ralph is pulling his strings.

Buddy Nix is 70 years old, and there's no reason to believe he has any need for an income whatsoever. If you didn't need the money and took the job because you love football, would you let Ralph Wilson jerk your strings for every move the team made?

Typ0
01-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Buddy Nix is 70 years old, and there's no reason to believe he has any need for an income whatsoever. If you didn't need the money and took the job because you love football, would you let Ralph Wilson jerk your strings for every move the team made?

Are you saying he took the job for no pay?