PDA

View Full Version : The Brain of the Bills

billistic
01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Assuming there is/was a brain, here are some of my many 2009 Bills lowlights:

* Bills surrender to Jason Peters, and end up trading him to the Eagles for (what became) Eric Wood and Sean Nelson. This created a gaping hole at LT.

* Bills cut Cs Melvin Fowler/Duke Preston and LG Derrick Dockery.

* Bills made zero attempt to obtain a replacement LT, but chose to switch Langston Walker to LT from RT, thereby creating a hole at RT.

* Bill switch Brad Butler from RG to RT, and install rookie college center Eric Wood at RG.

* Bills install rookie college tackle Andy Levitre at LG, and Panthers second string center Geoff Hangartner at center

* Bills cut Walker at LT and install perpetual project Demetrius Bell.

Therefore, on the offensive line, the Bills deliberately created 6 holes: LT-twice [Peters and Walker], RG [Butler], C [Fowler/Preston], LG [Dockery], and RT [Walker].

They deliberately chose to fill those holes with: two rookies playing new positions Wood (C>RG), Levitre (T>LG); a guy who the Panthers chose not to re-sign (Hangartner @ C), Butler (a guard switched to RT), and a project (Bell? to LT).

* The Bills decided to switch to the no-huddle format as their full time format on offense, despite the total re-shuffle along the line.

* With the salary money they saved by cutting Walker and Dockery, the Bills sign Turdell Owens.

* At the last minute, the Bills fired their offensive coordinator, and replaced him with a radio color commentator.

Then, the injuries started...

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I expected the flaming Bills homies to refute my post...

Typ0
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
They threw in the towel before the season even started. The only thing that would have given them any hope would be to have won opening day. Having the line what it was was all bad this season but it doesn't have to be in the future we have made some gains in playing experience.

* Bills surrender to Jason Peters, and end up trading him to the Eagles for (what became) Eric Wood and Sean Nelson. This created a gaping hole at LT.

* Bills made zero attempt to obtain a replacement LT, but chose to switch Langston Walker to LT from RT, thereby creating a hole at RT.

* Bill switch Brad Butler from RG to RT, and install rookie college center Eric Wood at RG.

* Bills install rookie college tackle Andy Levitre at LG, and Panthers second string center Geoff Hangartner at center

Therefore, on the offensive line, the Bills deliberately created 6 holes: LT-twice [Peters and Walker], RG [Butler], C [Fowler/Preston], LG [Dockery], and RT [Walker].

They deliberately chose to fill those holes with: two rookies playing new positions Wood (C>RG), Levitre (T>LG); a guy who the Panthers chose not to re-sign (Hangartner @ C), Butler (a guard switched to RT), and a project (Bell? to LT).

* The Bills decided to switch to the no-huddle format as their full time format on offense, despite the total re-shuffle along the line.

* With the salary money they saved by cutting Walker and Dockery, the Bills sign Turdell Owens.

* At the last minute, the Bills fired their offensive coordinator, and replaced him with a radio color commentator.

Then, the injuries started...

YardRat
01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe they all have you on 'ignore'. That would explain the lack of responses.

Either that, or they agree with you.

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Maybe they all have you on 'ignore'. That would explain the lack of responses.

Either that, or they agree with you.

Ignore = submit to...

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:26 PM
They threw in the towel before the season even started. The only thing that would have given them any hope would be to have won opening day. Having the line what it was was all bad this season but it doesn't have to be in the future we have made some gains in playing experience.

Question 1: How did signing Turdell Owens make up for demolishing an already barely mediocre offensive line?

Question 2: Trent Edwards becomes brain salad from standing-in and throwing a first down pass despite near-murder by a totally unblocked Adrian Wilson: What kind of azzhole then has the nerve to call Edwards "Captain Checkdown"? Pro'ly the same azzholes who laughed at the "basket cases" after the Civil War.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
TO did not do anything for the line.

Question 1: How did signing Turdell Owens make up for demolishing an already barely mediocre offensive line?

Question 2: Trent Edwards becomes brain salad from standing-in and throwing a first down pass despite near-murder by a totally unblocked Adrian Wilson: What kind of azzhole then has the nerve to call Edwards "Captain Checkdown"? Pro'ly the same azzholes who laughed at the "basket cases" after the Civil War.

Throne Logic
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Tough to argue with straight facts. Although, I did find your use of the ">" to be somewhat initially confusing. . .

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:36 PM
TO did not do anything for the line.
My point was, the savings from cutting Walker and Dockery allowed Russ "the authorized ticket scalper" to deal for the irrelevant Owens.

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Tough to argue with straight facts. Although, I did find your use of the ">" to be somewhat initially confusing. . .

used ">" sort of as a pointer.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
My point was, the savings from cutting Walker and Dockery allowed Russ "the authorized ticket scalper" to deal for the irrelevant Owens.

We differ in opinion then. I don't think they thought of it this way at all. Owens was acquired because they thought he could help. Walker and Dockery were let go because they weren't really seen as a solution to anything on the line and they are looking to find solutions.

billistic
01-02-2010, 01:53 PM
We differ in opinion then. I don't think they thought of it this way at all. Owens was acquired because they thought he could help. Walker and Dockery were let go because they weren't really seen as a solution to anything on the line and they are looking to find solutions.

I think they traded "high priced, underachiever linemen mistake" for "no #1 receiver mistake": net gain = below zero.

jdbillsfan
01-02-2010, 02:15 PM
For what it is worth, I do like Nelson and Wood.

Cutting Fowler, Preston and Dockery I don't really view as lowlights, though I think they probably could have gotten something for Dockery. He has looked terrible in some of the games I watched him. Dallas ate him up.

I think most of the lowlights can be summarized by keeping Jauron around for another season.

patmoran2006
01-02-2010, 02:37 PM

agreed

Fowler and Preston were deplorable, what games did you watch? Dockery was not playing up to his contract.

Biggest mistake they made this offseason, not even trading Peters, but not replacing him with someone other than Walker. This is #1

I like both the moves, the injuries were unfortunate

Levitire at worst played as good as Dockery last year. Hangartner is nothing special but better than Fowler or Preston.

Ties into the Walker to LT point you made earlier, brutal mistake.

Therefore, on the offensive line, the Bills deliberately created 6 holes: LT-twice [Peters and Walker], RG , C [Fowler/Preston], LG [Dockery], and RT [Walker].
[B]The only thing I truly have a problem with was evaluating Walker as a replacement for Peters at LT, that and injuries killed everything.

That got the OC fired days before the season, and showed how bad Jauron is, and Jauron shoulda been fired with him right then and there.

We'll never know how effective he could've been with a real OL and a QB who didnt regress.

2nd worst move of the offseason (Walker going to LT was worst). AVP deserved a full training camp to work on his system.

Then, the injuries started.. (more than any previous team in history, though thats also a lot of bad luck.. Quality trainers cant prevent broken bones and knee injuries.

Typ0
01-02-2010, 03:32 PM
I think they traded "high priced, underachiever linemen mistake" for "no #1 receiver mistake": net gain = below zero.

they were putting the QB in a bad situation and tried to get him some help. It didn't amount to anything.

billistic
01-02-2010, 07:47 PM
patmoran: Decent comments, and I don't take much issue with your reply. here's all I'll add:

Fowler and Preston were deplorable, what games did you watch? Dockery was not playing up to his contract.
I, and everybody else knew that the center position needed an upgrade. You can count the number of Bills that played "up to their contract" on one hand.

Turdell Owens.
We'll never know how effective he could've been with a real OL and a QB who didnt regress.
Regress? Regress? Really? Show me a QB that wouldn't "regress" behind the Bills bimbo O-line, and I'll show you a spinal prep.

(Walker going to LT was worst). AVP deserved a full training camp to work on his system.
Alex Long Belt deserves to be a Pop Warner coach.

That got the OC fired days before the season, and showed how bad Jauron is, and Jauron shoulda been fired with him right then and there.
Sort of. What it really shows is that Ralph Wilson is a football idiot, and has hired inmates to run his asylum. Now, he'll no doubt bring in even worse fools.

Anyone think Wilson's mind is getting stronger?

Which snake has got the patriarch's ear?