Will Perry Fewell resume his coordinator role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Will Perry Fewell resume his coordinator role?

Considering the anemic offense did them no favors, the Bills defense has been remarkably formidable in 2009. The unit ranks just 21st in yards and is dead last against the run, but those numbers are partially overblown because they’ve been on the field more than any team in the league.

The defense has intercepted 26 passes, tied with New Orleans for second in the NFL and trailing Green Bay by just one. It’s quite the turnaround after picking off just 10 in 2008. Their 31 sacks in 2009 is already four more than they reached last year.

This was also done despite a devastating depletion of talent due to injuries. When the Bills line up to face the Colts they’ll be doing so with starting linebackers Chris Draft and Jon Corto as well as Reggie Corner getting the nod at cornerback. Kawika Mitchell went down for the season in week five. Keith Ellison was third in the NFL with 68 tackles when his season ended at the midway point. Paul Posluszny missed more than a month with a broken forearm. Donte Whitner missed five games with injuries. Leodis McKelvin’s season lasted all of three games. Terrence McGee battled injuries all year before finally succumbing to a bad shoulder. Kyle Williams and even rookie sensation Jairus Byrd have been less than healthy.
    Besides, Fewell is under contract and Wilson is branded as a guy not opposed to saving a penny or two. In fact, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Nix’s instructed to try and find a coach willing to keep as much of the current assistant regime in tact as possible.
    It’s the biggest reason why although I believe the Bills interest in Cowher and is legitimate, hiring him could potentially mean a complete house cleaning of the entire coaching staff, which is something I’m not sold on Wilson, a man who likes continuity, is willing to do.

FULL STORY

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Will Perry Fewell resume his coordinator role?

No way...once they get a new coach, he will bring in his own DC and they will have a different system. I don't see anyway that Fewell stays after getting passed on the head coaching job.
    Last edited by Michael82; 01-02-2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

This would be a HUGE mistake...this guy isn't even a good DC...nothing good comes from keeping this guy. You keep him, you continue the mediocrity.

Comment

• Nighthawk
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
        No way...once they get a new coach, he will bring in his own DC and they will have a different system. I don't see anyway that Fewell stays after getting passed on the heac coaching job.
        And it better be that way...this guy is a very mediocre DC at best.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

What im saying is.. knowing Ralph WIlson, you dont think there is even a chance that he instructs Nix to hire a HC that will be willing to keep at least half this staff's coaches?

Comment

• Nighthawk
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            What im saying is.. knowing Ralph WIlson, you dont think there is even a chance that he instructs Nix to hire a HC that will be willing to keep at least half this staff's coaches?
            Ohh, I understand that is a possibility and I think it's very possible Nix is Ralph's puppet, so nothing will surprise me. However, I would HATE that move.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

I've heard somewhere that a bunch of the assistants have contracts that are up after the season.

I also don't think that Ralph will force a big name head coach like Cowher to do anything he doesn't want to do. He knows we can't afford to miss out on a big name.

Comment

• Demon
                • Mar 2003

No way...once they get a new coach, he will bring in his own DC and they will have a different system. I don't see anyway that Fewell stays after getting passed on the head coaching job.
                They have to get rid of all these bums. Fewell was a joke as HC. But, knowing the Bills, Fewell will remain. I'm preparing for the very worst guys.
                Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• BillsWin
                  man amongst boys
                  • Oct 2008

there’s a realistic ***** Fewell could recommence his role
                  Come on Pat!

I am The Batman.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                    Come on Pat!

Billswin, I know you work at a radio station or something...what have you heard about the Bills and their coaching search..if anything?

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                      Billswin, I know you work at a radio station or something...what have you heard about the Bills and their coaching search..if anything?
                      Just some names. Pure speculation. Rivera of course has come up. I didn't hear about Cowher until Sal told me, in fact he is the only one with a primary source on the matter. Not even nfl.com or espn have confirmed or denied anything because they don't have that source.

There have been reports that the Weis-Buffalo interest is 100% genuine and both sides really like eachother.

Marty's son's name has come up as various rumors since the Nix promotion, only speculation, no interview has been set up.

A little known name that hasn't really been brought up is Jason Garrett. When Jauron was fired there was report down south that the Bills would like to go offensive and he was a top guy. But, those rumors were dispelled quickly. He is the highest paid assistant coach in nfl history and he coaches for Dallas. He turned down the Baltimore and Atlanta jobs, and had already been interviewed for St. Louis and Denver but is still in Dallas. That says something right there.

Just a whole lot of nothing. Buffalo has been pretty quiet about their search thus far.

To be honest I deal with all 32 of the teams, more specifically Dallas, Kansas City, Houston, and Tennessee. So Pat and Sal are the go to guys for Buffalo news and rumors.

The cool thing is that I am such a HUGE Bills fan even in my work life that the contacts I do make who get any sort of info on the Bills share it with me right away. So if I do know something I will share but its doubtful I will get it out before Pat or Sal. They have their own websites.
                      Last edited by BillsWin; 01-02-2010, 03:23 PM.
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

If the new coach is somebody like Cowher and he wants Perry I won't be upset. They don't give up a lot of points except for in the 4th quarter...they create turnovers and have scored a couple of TDs. His defensive numbers look terrible but consider the number of injuries and the lack of offense to hold the ball. A healthy team, add a LB or DE and a better offense and the defense will look better.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

I've heard somewhere that a bunch of the assistants have contracts that are up after the season.

I also don't think that Ralph will force a big name head coach like Cowher to do anything he doesn't want to do. He knows we can't afford to miss out on a big name.
                          He's 91 and despite the fact it was widely speculated we'd have a thorough GM search, Wilson didnt even consider anyone other than 2 in house candidates.

Maybe you care more than Ralph does, because he can afford to do what he wants.

Comment

• Buddo
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin
                            Come on Pat!

I think you need to get that Freudian slip fixed a bit quick Pat. 'There's a realistic sh1t'
                            Obviously you meant to put 'shot'.

Still, made me lmao.

Comment

• Demon
                              • Mar 2003

He's 91 and despite the fact it was widely speculated we'd have a thorough GM search, Wilson didnt even consider anyone other than 2 in house candidates.

Maybe you care more than Ralph does, because he can afford to do what he wants.
                              Anyone they considered from outside rejected us. Per John Clayton.
                              Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X